[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: AAU / Travel Coaches request  (Read 11044 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
AAU / Travel Coaches request
« on: March 30, 2017, 08:18:42 PM »
May be an assistant coach soon; any secrets / tips / basic wisdom you have, please advise. Boys 8th grade / 14U
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
Re: AAU / Travel Coaches request
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 08:24:40 PM »
Figure out what your lines are.   You are going to be pressured by parents.    Know what you will and won't do.      Figure out what your goal is.    Are you going to try to improve all of the kids, or are you going to have a star system?    And know why you are doing it.     Whether you are doing it to move yourself ahead or help the kids.    I don't care which, but don't pretend one and do the other.     I love coaching.     I hope you do, too.    Have fun.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 09:25:25 PM »
May be an assistant coach soon; any secrets / tips / basic wisdom you have, please advise. Boys 8th grade / 14U
Treat every kid as if they were your own( or a much younger brother). Demonstrate a sincere interest  in helping them improve their fundamentals.  Be supportive and encourage a hard work ethic.  Make sure you treat the worst kid on the team as well as the best kid. That tends to rub off on the kids.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 09:32:00 PM »
Find your place and your voice without overstepping - easier said than done.

Being an assistant coach is it's own form of difficult. You want to be a part of everything but you most definitely are not in charge. My first year as an assistant was very hard for me. I wanted to learn and contribute but the coach was a control freak who did very little delegating. For the good of the team, I  didn't upset the apple cart and I did all I could to contribute.

In my two years as an assistant coach, I took copious notes on what I would do if and when I ever became a head coach. The "don'ts" far outnumbered the "do's." That list turned out to be extremely important when I did become a head coach.

I hope you have a good group of kids who really want to learn and have fun, and I hope you have a head coach who will find ways to accentuate your value.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 10:37:05 PM »
At least pretend you're more mature than the 14 year olds.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 11:28:56 PM »
Start filing your FOIA requests now for every D-I coach in the country. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 06:38:04 AM »
Flush your own toilet.

Either wear a gi or drive an ATV, but don't do both.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 07:08:34 AM »
Don't hit on the moms.

Oh, and in junior high, where a typical score is along the lines of 32-29, free throws matta.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 07:16:03 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 07:12:09 AM »

Ate grade boyz and BeeJay? Knot a grate idea, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 07:14:54 AM »
Don't hit on the moms.

And be prepared when the moms hit on you.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 07:19:42 AM »
And be prepared when the moms hit on you.

Yeah, it's amazing how much some women are willing to degrade themselves just so their kid gets more minutes.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 07:23:16 AM »
Yeah, it's amazing how much some women are willing to degrade themselves just so their kid gets more minutes.

No worries.  JB is used to women asking him for more minutes.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 07:32:39 AM »
Direct the kids to whichever college is giving you the most money.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 07:37:25 AM »

I don't coach AAU ball.    I coach little league, travel ball from that little league, and junior high basketball.   Lots of teams, not nearly the pressure that JB is contemplating.    Within that small world, I have been hit on a few times over the years.    Disconcerting every time, as I am generally completely focused on the coaching and am completely wrong footed.  I don't think there was a quid pro quo involved, because I treat all of the kids well and I rarely get complaints about playing time.   Just weird and not something I anticipated when I started coaching. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 07:52:31 AM »

No worries.  JB is used to women asking him for more minutes.

Zing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 08:07:49 AM »
I don't coach AAU ball.    I coach little league, travel ball from that little league, and junior high basketball.   Lots of teams, not nearly the pressure that JB is contemplating.    Within that small world, I have been hit on a few times over the years.    Disconcerting every time, as I am generally completely focused on the coaching and am completely wrong footed.  I don't think there was a quid pro quo involved, because I treat all of the kids well and I rarely get complaints about playing time.   Just weird and not something I anticipated when I started coaching.

Actually, that was supposed to be a joke.

Also, it never ceases to astound me how often guys will interpret a woman's friendliness as "being hit on".  Although I am sure in your case, Tower, your assessment of the situation was spot on.   ;)
Have some patience, FFS.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 08:11:31 AM »

Also, it never ceases to astound me how often guys will interpret a woman's friendliness as "being hit on".  Although I am sure in your case, Tower, your assessment of the situation was spot on.   ;)

True, but it is WAY WORSE on the flip side.  I can give you several stories where a girl/woman responded to my "excuse me" with a "sorry, I have a boyfriend." 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 08:39:39 AM »
True, but it is WAY WORSE on the flip side.  I can give you several stories where a girl/woman responded to my "excuse me" with a "sorry, I have a boyfriend."

That's because it often is a come-on.  Unfortunately nice guys take the rap for the creeps.  Just like nice gals have to put up with harassment because of the skanks.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 08:45:32 AM »

Shyte. I'm feeling more like a loser than usual because I've never been hit on by a mom.

Either that or I'm too dense to have interpreted things correctly. I mean, I'm 50-something, unemployed, bald and have a little spare tire, so I'm guessing countless moms have hit on me without me even knowing it!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 09:00:56 AM »

One definitely wasn't.    Back in the autumn of 2001 through the summer of 2002, there was a subset of the female population that apparently had 'sleep with a firefighter' on their bucket list.     I was coaching the child of a single mom in this subset.    The fact that I was coaching her child was what brought her into contact with me.     The others...... perhaps.    But I need to feed my fragile ego, so...

MU82, none have hit on me lately.    You and I are in the same boat, my friend.   
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 09:06:31 AM by tower912 »

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 10:30:44 AM »

Practice free throws.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 10:50:42 AM »
Kid sized karate outfits, tanning beds, and...

Don't forget to promise donations you will not keep.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 11:14:14 AM »
Teach and play man defense to instill fundamentals in AAU. This may garner them more PT in college than they envision.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 02:11:14 PM »

Don't think we didn't notice that wink.  Shameless...and from a married woman.  Get a room, why don't ya!
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 02:40:27 PM »
Don't think we didn't notice that wink.  Shameless...and from a married woman.  Get a room, why don't ya!

Winks are my teal.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback