[Today at 02:12:17 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 01:48:59 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by BM1090
[Today at 01:48:35 PM]

And The New...... by 94Warrior
[Today at 12:16:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 14 years ago today. Marquette goes to the Final Four  (Read 10282 times)

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
14 years ago today. Marquette goes to the Final Four
« on: March 29, 2017, 09:09:54 PM »
Four years ago was nice, 14 years ago was great.  Only the third time in our history.

Marquette defeats #1 Kentucky Wildcats

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lR3d255pDhs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lR3d255pDhs</a>

tower912

• All American
Re: 14 years ago today. Marquette goes to the Final Four
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 07:09:04 AM »
I cried when Marquette beat Kentucky. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 07:29:46 AM »
Followed bye T-Cubed crappin' down his leg, on college basketball's biggest stage, wit a weak ta prepare for KU's fast break. Butt, he had no answers and da game wuz long over bye half time, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 08:31:05 AM »
Followed bye T-Cubed crappin' down his leg, on college basketball's biggest stage, wit a weak ta prepare for KU's fast break. Butt, he had no answers and da game wuz long over bye half time, ai na?

Yep,  Tom got lucky with Wade and deserves no credit for getting Marquette to the final four.  But he deserves all the blame for losing in the final four.   ::)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 08:36:15 AM »
Exposed his coachin' flaws and da phony he is.
Still hasn't gotten bedder ta dis dey. Witout #3 he'd be a lifer at U of Nebraska-Omaha, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 08:58:18 AM »
Exposed his coachin' flaws and da phony he is.
Still hasn't gotten bedder ta dis dey. Witout #3 he'd be a lifer at U of Nebraska-Omaha, hey?

The guy still had three NITs and three non Wade NCAA tournament appearances. That's a bit better than Nebraska Omaha. Most A10 or MWC teams would kill for Crean.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 10:29:29 AM »

I remember being somewhat shocked that day. I went up just hoping to cheer them to a good performance, but that Kentucky team looked near unbeatable. They had what, a 26-game winning streak and were the clear-cut #1 team in the country? And then right from the start, we played with them and then were pulling away in the first half. One of those surreal moments when you're not sure if our team is that good or if something is about to go wrong.

Of course, it did end up going wrong, but not until the next week.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 11:03:24 AM »
I had a feeling after watching Wisconsin give UK all they could handle, that MU could beat 'em. Did not see a blowout happening, obviously.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 11:11:52 AM »
Tower

Goose cried a couple of times that afternoon and evening. Beating Kentucky is always high on the list and doing it on a big stage was awfully cool. Unfortunately, as 4ever said, that next week was one of the low moments in MU history. To make that day worse, a very dear family friend (off the charts MU fan) passed away later that evening.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 04:41:09 PM »
The guy still had three NITs and three non Wade NCAA tournament appearances. That's a bit better than Nebraska Omaha. Most A10 or MWC teams would kill for Crean.

don't try to use logic with that clown and his shtick.

The fact is in the first two rounds Wade was invisible and Crean coached the team to victory. And if it only took one star player to get to a Final Four why didn't Ben Simmons or Markell Faultz make it to the Final Four even make it to the tourney?

Crean rebuilt MU and he rebuilt IU. He'll rebuild another program too.

I guess Lon Kruger sucks as a coach too, according to Goober, considering he lost by 44 to Villanova in last year's final four.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 07:54:50 PM »
Nice ta see you reed da board and tanks for yo input, Jack, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 08:18:24 PM »

The fact is in the first two rounds Wade was invisible and Crean coached the team to victory. And if it only took one star player to get to a Final Four why didn't Ben Simmons or Markell Faultz make it to the Final Four even make it to the tourney?

The fact is that Wade was subpar in rounds one and two but hardly "invisible". He was our leading rebounder (13) and assist man (11) through those games and our second leading scorer (39). And comparing one of the best basketball players of all time to Ben Simmons or Markell Faultz is ludicrous.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 08:41:43 AM »
Tower

Goose cried a couple of times that afternoon and evening. Beating Kentucky is always high on the list and doing it on a big stage was awfully cool. Unfortunately, as 4ever said, that next week was one of the low moments in MU history. To make that day worse, a very dear family friend (off the charts MU fan) passed away later that evening.

The lowest NCAA moment in MU history was a one point loss, in my opinion.  People get hung up that we lost a Final Four game by a lot of points?  We lost a first round game in 1978 in what was arguably equivalent to a 16 vs 1 loss, or 15 vs 2 (yes, I'm aware there were not 64 teams back then). 

We have been trounced a number of times in the NCAA tournament, lose by 1 or lose by 30, still going home. Syracuse crushed us 4 years ago. North Carolina in 2011.  MSU in '07. Providence in 1997.  Nova in '80.  Kentucky in '75. 

The journey of making it to the Final Four in '03 far outweighed the loss. I'd rather have that journey than the '78 loss to Miami (OH) in the first game.  That was the most embarrassing loss in our NCAA tournament history.  We earned a Final Four in '03, in '78 we earned nothing.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 09:43:24 AM »

As did I.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 09:49:18 AM »
The fact is that Wade was subpar in rounds one and two but hardly "invisible". He was our leading rebounder (13) and assist man (11) through those games and our second leading scorer (39). And comparing one of the best basketball players of all time to Ben Simmons or Markell Faultz is ludicrous.

+1

The "Wade was invisible" narrative has become just as entrenched as a false truth in MU Scoop history as the "Crean's entire career exists because of Wade" narrative.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 09:59:18 AM »

Right, Crean's coaching was the only reason why Diener put up 29 points against Holy Cross and why they didn't miss a single shot or free throw in OT against Missouri.

Those games against the #14 and #6 seeds shouldn't have been anywhere nearly as close as they were. And that is more likely the result of coaching than the performances that were needed to survive the first weekend of that tournament.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 10:06:35 AM »
+1

The "Wade was invisible" narrative has become just as entrenched as a false truth in MU Scoop history as the "Crean's entire career exists because of Wade" narrative.

I think Crean did a fine job at MU.    I have few complaints.     But when you look at the 18 years he has been a high major coach, how many times has he gotten past the sweet 16 without Wade?     Would you want a coach who's ceiling was the sweet 16 for most of his career, despite having tremendous resources at his disposal?   He landed Wade.    That team went to the final 4.    He deserves full marks for that and I give them to him and appreciate it more than I can say.      What about the other 17 years?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 10:09:32 AM »
I think Crean did a fine job at MU.    I have few complaints.     But when you look at the 18 years he has been a high major coach, how many times has he gotten past the sweet 16 without Wade?     Would you want a coach who's ceiling was the sweet 16 for most of his career, despite having tremendous resources at his disposal?   He landed Wade.    That team went to the final 4.    He deserves full marks for that and I give them to him and appreciate it more than I can say.      What about the other 17 years?

Didn't need this many words to prove my point.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 10:14:35 AM »
He has a career.    He is a .600 coach over 18 seasons.  He has won big 10 titles and coach of the year awards.  When you look at the totality of  his career objectively,  he is a good coach but not a great coach.   Not a slam.    Not a narrative.   

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8154.msg65935#msg65935

Talk about prescient when hiring a Duke assistant....
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8900.msg74424#msg74424

Another prescient observation
.http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=9374.msg80306#msg80306

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=11177.msg98807#msg98807
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=11747.msg104400#msg104400
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:43:15 AM by tower912 »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 01:34:43 PM »
He has a career.    He is a .600 coach over 18 seasons.  He has won big 10 titles and coach of the year awards.  When you look at the totality of  his career objectively,  he is a good coach but not a great coach.   Not a slam.    Not a narrative.   

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8154.msg65935#msg65935

Talk about prescient when hiring a Duke assistant....
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=8900.msg74424#msg74424

Another prescient observation
.http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=9374.msg80306#msg80306

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=11177.msg98807#msg98807
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=11747.msg104400#msg104400

You spent 30 minutes finding ways to slap your back. That's weird.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 01:59:00 PM »
I was a sportswriter back then and I had a credential to the Minneapolis regional because one of the teams I covered was in that region. But that team lost the previous weekend, so the company would no longer pay me to go.

My wife had a friend I had never met who also went to MU and she and her husband were driving up for the weekend. They offered me a ride, but the idea of riding with strangers, coupled with sitting on press row even though I wouldn't have been working (borderline unethical, though I probably would have found a way to work it into something I was gonna write) made me decide not to go.

One of the worst decisions I've made in the last 20 years.

I loved watching the games on TV, including the KY game with a big contingent of fellow alums, but it would have been something to be there. I envy those who were. Damn!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 02:23:20 PM »
You spent 30 minutes finding ways to slap your back. That's weird.

More like bored.

ScopesnotSnopes

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 11:43:52 PM »

ScopesnotSnopes to correct the record.

Of those 18 coaching years, 5 were rebuilding.  He also had two years with major injuries (this year OG and Hartmann and the Diener year for MU), but we will count those anyway.

13 years not rebuilding, made the NCAAs 9 times, NIT 3 times, one year no tournament. 

Other fun fact.  His teams have been knocked out by very good to great teams a number of times.

2003 knocked out by National Runner Up Kansas
2008 knocked out by Sweet 16 Stanford in OT
2012 knocked out by National Champions Kentucky
2013 knocked out by Final Four team Syracuse
2015 knocked out by Sweet 16 Wichita State
2016 knocked out by National Runner Up North Carolina

ScopesnotSnopes

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 11:52:26 PM »
Right, Crean's coaching was the only reason why Diener put up 29 points against Holy Cross and why they didn't miss a single shot or free throw in OT against Missouri.

Those games against the #14 and #6 seeds shouldn't have been anywhere nearly as close as they were. And that is more likely the result of coaching than the performances that were needed to survive the first weekend of that tournament.

Holy Cross was 25-5 and had won 20 of 21 games coming into that game.  Damn good team.  Missouri, beat Kansas only two games earlier in the Big 12 tournament.  They were in the finals of the Big 12 tournament and lost by 2.  Playing very well. 

If you're going to rip on not running roughshod over Holy Cross and Missouri, then you must be wild over the wins over Pittsburgh and Kentucky where we were the underdog.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2017, 12:03:19 AM »
I remember going to the bathroom at halftime at the Metrodome.  We were up big but nobody wanted to say anything.  So much small talk.  You can not overstate how big UK was that season.  Clear #1. 

Of course we should have known we'd win...we own Kentucky in the tournament. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback