Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Do You Hate Another BE Team?  (Read 3714 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Do You Hate Another BE Team?
« on: March 17, 2017, 11:46:03 AM »
In the thread where I asked who your second favorite team is, a lot responded by saying the rest of the Big East.

We hate Bucky.  Many of you hate ND (Chili!).  tOSU hates Mich.  UNC hates Duke and so on.

So, do you hate another Big East team?  Is their a Big East team you want to see not only lose, but get humiliated?

For me the closest team is Georgetown.  But my hate is only mild fopr them, certainly not visceral.  After that I could see myself hating Depaul some day, as I did in the early 80s when they were a power and MU's rival.  But first, they have to stop being a sad sack that deserves pity.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:48:14 AM by Dread Pirate Roberts »

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Do You Hate Another BE Team?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 11:47:41 AM »
The true downfall of the old big East was the killing of any real rival. No more nd or Louisville

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »
Seton Hall.  Still mad over the Bobby Gonzalez era; and Willard isn't likeable, but definitely punchable.
St John's is second.  Don't like Mullen. 

Providence and Ed Cooley have grown on me, but the Austin Croshere team still stings.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 12:01:18 PM »
Hate? No. I dislike Seton Hall and there are some Xavier players that irritate me. As someone else said, that was the real loss in the dissolution of the old BE. There were always enough tournament teams from the BE that I could cheer for Syracuse or Louisville or ND to get the crap beat out of them.

Maybe after several more years of sustained success, but this conference is different. It is held together by its similar values and institutions. The way in which it came to be shapes its culture dramatically.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 12:13:17 PM »
The true downfall of the old big East was the killing of any real rival. No more nd or Louisville

This.

I HATED Pittsburgh, Syracuse and West Virginia.  Haven't gotten to that level of hatred with any current BE teams.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:15:31 PM by lurch91 »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 12:19:06 PM »

I hate DePaul for sucking so much.  Definitely drags down our metrics as a conference.
Have some patience, FFS.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 12:38:18 PM »
Don't hate but dislike Seton Hall.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 12:38:34 PM »
I dislike Seton Hall, but I still want them to win.  And also dislike DePaul for sucking and giving awards to an AD that should have been fired years ago.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 12:44:09 PM »
No, now that Louisville is gone.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 12:45:18 PM »
Creighton, their fans are dicks. Seton Hall has slowly been getting more annoying over the years.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »
Superbar.

I hate when people say Superbar, so I wrote it just to see how it feels. Feels pretty decent. Like shooing kids off of a lawn feels decent.

However, this is not Superbar material. This is a good question. I shall answer it with four points:

1. I can't believe I am about to say this, but I was pleased to see Buzz lose, even if to Wiscy. I am a jilted lover.

2. What does that have to do with the original question? Nothing. But it has been bugging me. I need counseling for the weird conflict of emotions I felt last night. Buzz losing and Crean getting canned made me happy, in a miserable happy sort of way.

3. I like grammar police. I think proper punctuation and grammar should be striven for even when communicating by text or internet message board. Apparently, that makes me a sociopath. Look it up. You'll see.

4. Mbakwe. Just because.

5. I really don't hate any Big East team. It is bizarre. I have a hole in my heart where intra-conference hatred once ruled supreme. There is something delightful about the band of ten brothers who were told they weren't good enough to be a power conference and have responded by kicking rear end. In due time, hopefully I can learn to hate again within the realm of our conference. For now, there is no hatred.

6. Ranking teams by preference: MU, Nova, Georgetown, Providence, Xavier, Seton Hall, Butler, Creighton, St. John's. Did I miss anyone?

7. I can't count to five. My sincerest apologies.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 12:48:02 PM »
The main problem is that there really aren't any hateable coaches in the Big East. Not anywhere close to the hate I felt for Pitino, Boeheim and Huggins. Miss those days.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 12:54:28 PM »
The main problem is that there really aren't any hateable coaches in the Big East. Not anywhere close to the hate I felt for Pitino, Boeheim and Huggins. Miss those days.

Where have you been! Fire Wojo!

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 12:59:28 PM »
Nope. There's some dislike for Seton Hall, but that's mostly holdover from Amigos days. Seemed like a game couldn't go by without a cheap shot from them.

Agree with whoever said X has some unlikeable guys. I blame Macura's face.

St. John's often bugs me, but they're never good enough for those feelings to stick around.

I think the lack of respect the BE gets the last few years makes me feel more united with the rest of the conference.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 01:03:24 PM »
I think the only team I ever hated was Syracuse.  All the rest of the BE teams I'd at least root for during the tournament, for conference prestige.  Syracuse I would root against every single time.

There are no BE teams left that I would actively root against.  I want them to win every game against a NC opponent.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 01:09:25 PM »
Superbar.

I hate when people say Superbar, so I wrote it just to see how it feels. Feels pretty decent. Like shooing kids off of a lawn feels decent.

However, this is not Superbar material. This is a good question. I shall answer it with four points:

1. I can't believe I am about to say this, but I was pleased to see Buzz lose, even if to Wiscy. I am a jilted lover.

2. What does that have to do with the original question? Nothing. But it has been bugging me. I need counseling for the weird conflict of emotions I felt last night. Buzz losing and Crean getting canned made me happy, in a miserable happy sort of way.

3. I like grammar police. I think proper punctuation and grammar should be striven for even when communicating by text or internet message board. Apparently, that makes me a sociopath. Look it up. You'll see.

4. Mbakwe. Just because.

5. I really don't hate any Big East team. It is bizarre. I have a hole in my heart where intra-conference hatred once ruled supreme. There is something delightful about the band of ten brothers who were told they weren't good enough to be a power conference and have responded by kicking rear end. In due time, hopefully I can learn to hate again within the realm of our conference. For now, there is no hatred.

6. Ranking teams by preference: MU, Nova, Georgetown, Providence, Xavier, Seton Hall, Butler, Creighton, St. John's. Did I miss anyone?

Have some patience, FFS.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »
Superbar.

4. Mbakwe. Just because.

This is awesome in so may ways.  The subtle disagreement between the two bolded parts is my favorite.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 01:40:39 PM »
Creighton, their fans are dicks. Seton Hall has slowly been getting more annoying over the years.

Agreed.  Creighton and the Hall are my least favorite teams in the BE.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 01:46:52 PM »
Currently, no. I do look forward to the day when my blood boils and I have nothing but hateful thoughts toward another BE team. My leading candidate is SHU followed Georgetown with DePaul last......

fjm

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 01:49:51 PM »
During the season I want Seton Hall to lose always...

but come tourney time, I'm rooting for Seton Hall hard right now. We need the BE to keep winning games.
Keep solidifying our profile.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 01:56:49 PM »
Superbar.

4. Mbakwe. Just because.

You win Scoop today!

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 01:58:38 PM »

Just a reminder, ND and Louisville weren't in the original Big East.

The Big East existed without the likes of MU, Cincy, ND or Louisville for the first 20+ years of its existence. The period from 1982-88 is when the Big East cemented its legendary status — including 2 national championships, 5 national title game appearances and 8 Final Fours.

Not one of those accolades included Connecticut.

Personally, I think the current Big East could be turn out to be stronger than the 2010-era version of the conference. Honest. No more schools like South Florida or Rutgers that put football first. We also have some of the best young coaches in the nation. Let's see what the rivalries look like in another 5-10 years — after Boeheim and Pitino have hung it up, and after we've grown to hate losing to Jay Wright, Chris Mack, Kevin Willard, etc.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 02:05:18 PM »
Ugh....Seton Hall...but I cheer for them in tourney time.

Only team I really cheer against all the time is Butler.  Can't stand them.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 02:06:01 PM »
Just a reminder, ND and Louisville weren't in the original Big East.

The Big East existed without the likes of MU, Cincy, ND or Louisville for the first 20+ years of its existence. The period from 1982-88 is when the Big East cemented its legendary status — including 2 national championships, 5 national title game appearances and 8 Final Fours.

Not one of those accolades included Connecticut.

Personally, I think the current Big East could be turn out to be stronger than the 2010-era version of the conference. Honest. No more schools like South Florida or Rutgers that put football first. We also have some of the best young coaches in the nation. Let's see what the rivalries look like in another 5-10 years — after Boeheim and Pitino have hung it up, and after we've grown to hate losing to beating the piss out of Jay Wright, Chris Mack, Kevin Willard, etc.

FTFY

MUWarrior2007

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 02:11:27 PM »
I don't hate Seton Hall, but I do dislike them (sans NCAA time).

I dislike Creighton as well.  Their fans have a very high opinion of a team/program that hasn't made a Sweet 16 since 1974...

feedback