[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Excluding Wade, who is the best player who's played for Crean?

Brian Wardle
Cordell Henry
Robert Jackson
Travis Diener
Steve Novak
Dominic James
Jerel McNeal
Wes Matthews

Author Topic: 2nd Best Player in Crean Era  (Read 11522 times)

WashDCWarrior

• All American
2nd Best Player in Crean Era
« on: November 30, 2006, 01:28:35 PM »
I don't think I've left any obvious choices off the board, but let me know if there's anyone I should add.

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
Re: 2nd Best Player in Crean Era
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 01:36:34 PM »
Excellent poll...don't know which way to vote. (Diener over 4yrs, or James strong 1+ yr so far). 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 01:38:17 PM by Djgoldnboy »

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 01:42:16 PM »
I'm sure the results would look different in a couple years once the big 3 have played out their MU careers.  That being said, I went with Diener because of his overall contribution to MU basketball.  He was an injury away from being MU's all-time leading scorer. (granted that was four years vs. George Thompson's three years)

Not bad for a short, skinny white kid, who when I first saw, expected to be the 2nd coming of Brian Barone.

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 01:51:13 PM »
I'm sure the results would look different in a couple years once the big 3 have played out their MU careers.  That being said, I went with Diener because of his overall contribution to MU basketball.  He was an injury away from being MU's all-time leading scorer. (granted that was four years vs. George Thompson's three years)

Not bad for a short, skinny white kid, who when I first saw, expected to be the 2nd coming of Brian Barone.

Diener, hands down, with overall contribution to the program. Such a great high energy, talented player.
Tradition Never Graduates..

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 02:15:33 PM »
Diener, no doubt about it.

That kid should not have been drafted to play in the NBA. Crean took him in, tutored him, and helped strengthen his game so NBA teams would select him.
SS Marquette

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 02:27:57 PM »
Based on the one year with Dom, I have to go with Dom.  He did more in his freshmen year than Diener did in his.  I am not taking anything anyway from Travis but Dom is considered an all-american in only his second year and Travis was not, at least during his first 3 years at MU.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 02:37:08 PM »
I've got to go with James because the question is who is the "best player" other than Wade.  I think it's clearly DJ.  If the question was "who contributed most to Marquette,"  "who was the best leader," or "who made the best use of his skills" or something like that, it would be Diener hands down.  But, I just don't think Diener is a better player than James.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 02:49:49 PM »
A friend of mine bought up a good point....so far the best career besides Wade has been Diener...however the best season (not necesarrily the best player) by any player under Crean has to be Money last year. 

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 02:50:22 PM »
I love Travis Diener, he is my all-time favorite player ever (with Dan Dickau close second, I'm a sucker for little white guys), however the question states "best player" and overall, James has more game than Diener, and this year looks like just as much heart, which I thought I would never see anyone have as much heart as Diener
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 02:53:59 PM »
I think one thing to also consider was how Diener led a team with little talent and DJ is on a much better overall skilled team. I guess how do you determine skill? Its hard to not factor in things like leadership, team player, etc. when looking at a player's talent. Teammates in b-ball are an element in a player's success..
Tradition Never Graduates..

SqueallyDRyan

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 03:35:10 PM »
I voted Diener.  However best season was definately Novak last year. 
It's not the size of your Diener; its how you use it

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 03:54:51 PM »
It has to be James. Big East rookie of the year. This year, he is the MVP of the team. Think of this. Replace Diener with James on the final four team. Granted, TD came up huge in the first round, but do you think we have a better chance against Kansas with James handling the rock against Hinrich? I love Diener, but James by far is a better all around player.

MikeyT42

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 03:56:12 PM »
I love Travis Diener, he is my all-time favorite player ever (with Dan Dickau close second, I'm a sucker for little white guys), however the question states "best player" and overall, James has more game than Diener, and this year looks like just as much heart, which I thought I would never see anyone have as much heart as Diener

I don't know about James having more heart than Travis.

Travis played hard for 40 minutes, he was the ultimate competitor. That being said I voted for TD just because his junior and senior years, he wasn't blessed with a running mate. Sure Novak was around put he was a One Demionsial player and was locked up a lot of the times. DJ has Wes and Jerel.

Diener vs. Wisconsin at the BC a few years back was memorable. Through the first 26 minutes of the game Travis almost outscored the rodents single handedly.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 03:57:57 PM »
It has to be James. Big East rookie of the year. This year, he is the MVP of the team. Think of this. Replace Diener with James on the final four team. Granted, TD came up huge in the first round, but do you think we have a better chance against Kansas with James handling the rock against Hinrich? I love Diener, but James by far is a better all around player.

Replace Diener with anybody and I don't think we would have got past Holy Cross.

SoCalstu09

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 04:31:11 PM »
I had to go with Diener. Hoopsdreams summed it up the best. With mediocre talent, he almost led MU to an NCAA birth. Then he broke his hand. Bust!

Maybe we should show DJ this poll so that he'll be forced to stay...show everyone up that he's the best post Wade player.
"I think the world is run by C students."- Al McGuire

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 04:33:01 PM »

I don't know about James having more heart than Travis.

Travis played hard for 40 minutes, he was the ultimate competitor. That being said I voted for TD just because his junior and senior years, he wasn't blessed with a running mate. Sure Novak was around put he was a One Demionsial player and was locked up a lot of the times. DJ has Wes and Jerel.

Diener vs. Wisconsin at the BC a few years back was memorable. Through the first 26 minutes of the game Travis almost outscored the rodents single handedly.

I said just as much heart... no one can have MORE heart than Diener
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 04:34:25 PM »
just more facial hair :P

bheitz

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 08:49:22 PM »
I went with James.  I believe he's a better player than TD.  I agree with those above who voted with TD based on his entire career.  I also like the argument about Novak for a season.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 01:51:45 AM »
First of all DC, this is a helluva poll! This is like picking between your children in a basketball sense.

I almost had to break this down into several categories.
Most Valuable Player - single season - non-NC2A team - Wardle in 00-01
Most Outstanding Player - single season - Novak in 05-06
Most Valuable Player - single season - NC2A team - Jackson in 02-03
Most Outstanding Player and Most Valuable Player - career - Diener

I have a suspicision my vote would be quite a bit different four months from now.
GO WARRIORS!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 03:56:26 PM »
Most Valuable Player - single season - NC2A team - Jackson in 02-03

I'd take issue with the above choice, as I think Diener, not Jackson, was second most valuable player on that team.

Diener also answered the bell in some huge games, like rounds 1 and 2 of 2003 NCAA tournament.  The weird thing about Diener is that I think Wardle did a better job of being effective with the poor supporting cast than TD did.

So I'd still put DJ number 1.

For me the list is:

1. James (As close to the complete package as we've had other than Wade)
2. Diener (Tremendous competitor, fun because he annoyed the crap out of opposition fans)
3. Wardle (talk about not having support, this guy was a one man gang)
4. Novak (My son's favorite, he'll be an MU fan for life because he loved watching this guy shoot the ball)
5. Jackson (Only true strong low post player of the Crean era, even though he couldn't jump over a loaf of bread)
6. Henry (We forget about him now, because he wasn't quite Hutchins and when he finished we were excited about Diener/Wade, but he was a fun player)
7. Matthews (I played in high school against his dad, who is still the quickest human being I ever saw.  Wesley is a totally different player, but effective nonetheless)
8. McNeal (Hard to rate him higher because 49% of the time I think he is terrible with his out of control antics and 51% of the time I think he his tremendous with his steals and occasional spectacular forays to the hoop.  THose percentages are subject to change)
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 04:03:57 PM »

That kid should not have been drafted to play in the NBA. Crean took him in, tutored him, and helped strengthen his game so NBA teams would select him.

TC did Jack...TD got himself to the NBA, his cousin with less skill andjust a slightly taller frame would be playing in the league if not for Crones disease.  TC has his skills, (game prep, makerketing, PR, etc)...but TD is in the NBA b/c of TD.

Look at TC's 3 NBAers...Wade (great penetrator, def minded, athletic etc) Novak (awesome shot) Diener (never say die, tenacity, good shot, decent handle).  They all had those skills coing in.  What TC taught them was how to work hard but he didn't add many skills. 

Brian Wardle told me after Wade's freshman year...he'd go 2nd rd today and he hasn't even played in a college game yet.

Novak said he learned more about defense in the forst month with Houston than he ever had.  TC is great for hard work but he didn't the 3 to the NBA they did.  Now I will say if Jerel goes, I will credit TC b/c I think Jerel has tools but needs work.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 07:06:33 PM »
I voted for Dom.  He is probably the best or second best athlete that has ever come thru MU.  As his skills continue to develop he will blossom into a even more wonderful player.  Has he had a season like Novak or Diener had?, no!  But he has what Diener and Novak lack and that is the world class athleticism that it takes to be an elite player.  That may occur this year or in the next few years when he is in the NBA.  He will most likely be the first first team AA since DW. His numbers may not be like TD's but he is not the only player on his team.  DW and DJ are the two best players to come out of Mu in the last 25 years.   

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 07:14:50 PM »
alright.. well I guess this means we need to rent a basketball court somewhere, fly diener, james, and wade there, and then have diener and james throw down with wade ref'ing.

all in favor?
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 07:30:57 PM »
Interesting proposal.  In a game of one-on-one, I might take Diener over James because of his 3-pt ability.  Interesting.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2006, 07:45:37 PM »

TC did Jack...TD got himself to the NBA, his cousin with less skill andjust a slightly taller frame would be playing in the league if not for Crones disease.  TC has his skills, (game prep, makerketing, PR, etc)...but TD is in the NBA b/c of TD.

Look at TC's 3 NBAers...Wade (great penetrator, def minded, athletic etc) Novak (awesome shot) Diener (never say die, tenacity, good shot, decent handle).  They all had those skills coing in.  What TC taught them was how to work hard but he didn't add many skills. 

Brian Wardle told me after Wade's freshman year...he'd go 2nd rd today and he hasn't even played in a college game yet.

Novak said he learned more about defense in the forst month with Houston than he ever had.  TC is great for hard work but he didn't the 3 to the NBA they did.  Now I will say if Jerel goes, I will credit TC b/c I think Jerel has tools but needs work.

Hmmm okay.  I guess we have a great pr marketing guy running a top 10 basketball program who knows how to gameplan but can't coach a lick or make a single player better in the last 6 plus years.   :-\