[Today at 04:36:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] The Pick And Roll Defense is as Bad as You Feared  (Read 1109 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
Everyone knows Marquette's defense is bad. Everyone thinks it's due to poor P&R defense. Everyone would be correct. Check it out, with actual stats and videos.

https://painttouches.com/2017/03/03/the-pick-and-roll-defense-is-as-bad-as-you-feared/

Benny B

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] The Pick And Roll Defense is as Bad as You Feared
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 02:09:23 PM »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 02:13:36 PM »
That is ugly arse defense.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 04:47:47 PM »
Thanks, Andrei - I didn't realize how many ways there were to screw up. I see 'em, I just never categorized them. Nice work.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 05:09:00 PM »
Great article. Doesn't make our defensive shortcomings any less baffling or frustrating, but thanks for posting.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 05:31:42 PM »
The team's weakest link is Fischer. Not only is his defense of the P&R atrocious, it's the reason his fouling has increased in conference play. His footwork is slow and he's constantly trying to compensate with reach in fouls. He should never rotate high. Our opponents are in the bonus situation too early and good foul shooting teams help compensate for our 3pt domination.
Players win awards but teams win championships

brandx

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 05:41:43 PM »
The team's weakest link is Fischer. Not only is his defense of the P&R atrocious, it's the reason his fouling has increased in conference play. His footwork is slow and he's constantly trying to compensate with reach in fouls. He should never rotate high. Our opponents are in the bonus situation too early and good foul shooting teams help compensate for our 3pt domination.

I said a few days ago that he is the worst I have ever seen on the P&R. As bad as his physical play is, his mental reaction is even worse.

Heldt is definitely an improvement over Fish and when Hauser has been at the 5 on defense, he has actually done a pretty good job. Makes for a dilemma at the end of games.

It's been several weeks since I said that opposing teams should be running this almost every time down the floor.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 05:53:44 PM »
I said a few days ago that he is the worst I have ever seen on the P&R. As bad as his physical play is, his mental reaction is even worse.

Heldt is definitely an improvement over Fish and when Hauser has been at the 5 on defense, he has actually done a pretty good job. Makes for a dilemma at the end of games.

It's been several weeks since I said that opposing teams should be running this almost every time down the floor.

At the beginning of the season, I thought Luke was the most indispensable player on the team - our only experienced big.  Now, I think he's the eighth or ninth most important player in a nine-man rotation.  He does some nice things on offense, but I think we'll be just fine with Matt and the new guys next season.

brandx

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 10:29:06 PM »
At the beginning of the season, I thought Luke was the most indispensable player on the team - our only experienced big.  Now, I think he's the eighth or ninth most important player in a nine-man rotation.  He does some nice things on offense, but I think we'll be just fine with Matt and the new guys next season.

I agree. I wouldn't put him as low as 8th, but at the beginning of the season we didn't know we had 5 very good offensive players, none of whom played center.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 11:24:15 PM »
Predicted this last June.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 07:09:42 AM »
Good article as always. Pretty telling in how low the rankings are on the P&R.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 10:53:56 AM »
Fischer 1.77 ppp
Heldt.  1.22 ppp

Nuf said
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 11:15:25 AM »
PnR including passes.. .we're giving up 1.00 ppp... #342 in the nation.. 25.3% of possessions. Yuck.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.