Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Can someone explain to me...  (Read 6178 times)

muguru

• All American
Can someone explain to me...
« on: February 25, 2017, 08:09:18 PM »
Okay, two games ago Wojo changed up the starting lineup because he liked the passion and desire that group brought. After two games it seemed to be a brilliant decision. He went with that same group to start the game today(and rightly so). But, it leaves me scratching my head why Duane only played 10 minutes and not a single minute in the 2nd half. He had 4 points, and 3 rebounds in 10 minutes. And when he did play, Wojo had him on Lindsey while Cartwright was beating Markus off the dribble like a rented mule. He is arguably their best one on one defender and I think unquestionably the leader of the team, and Wojo doesn't play him a minute in the 2nd half?? I just don't get it, at all. It's decisions like that that make me question Wojo and how good of a coach he really is.

Yes, JJ had some bad luck with that lay up rimming out late in the game, but there is ZERO doubt in my mind, if I wasn't going to put it in Andrew or Markus's hands there, I'd want Duane with it. He attacks better(and makes better decisions) then JJ because he does it under control most of the time. So if the play there was to drive it, why wouldn't you have Duane in the game to do it?? I just don't get it.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: Can someone explain to me...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 08:12:25 PM »
Okay, two games ago Wojo changed up the starting lineup because he liked the passion and desire that group brought. After two games it seemed to be a brilliant decision. He went with that same group to start the game today(and rightly so). But, it leaves me scratching my head why Duane only played 10 minutes and not a single minute in the 2nd half. He had 4 points, and 3 rebounds in 10 minutes. And when he did play, Wojo had him on Lindsey while Cartwright was beating Markus off the dribble like a rented mule. He is arguably their best one on one defender and I think unquestionably the leader of the team, and Wojo doesn't play him a minute in the 2nd half?? I just don't get it, at all. It's decisions like that that make me question Wojo and how good of a coach he really is.

Yes, JJ had some bad luck with that lay up rimming out late in the game, but there is ZERO doubt in my mind, if I wasn't going to put it in Andrew or Markus's hands there, I'd want Duane with it. He attacks better(and makes better decisions) then JJ because he does it under control most of the time. So if the play there was to drive it, why wouldn't you have Duane in the game to do it?? I just don't get it.

Now this is a legit question. I thought Duane was good in his limited minutes today.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 08:12:31 PM »
Likely dat Wilson had gas pains. Not easy playin' wit said dyscomfort, hey?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:17:34 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 08:12:40 PM »
I agree with you completely on this one.  (Duane did play in the second half but only at the start of the half as I recall.)  He really should be on the floor more and I don't understand why he wasn't.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 08:15:42 PM »
I agree with you completely on this one.  (Duane did play in the second half but only at the start of the half as I recall.)  He really should be on the floor more and I don't understand why he wasn't.

You're right, my bad, he did start the second half, but once he came out after a few minutes, I don't think he ever went back in again. I'd love to hear Wojo's explanation for that one, I really would.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 08:20:08 PM »
I've no idea why Duane doesn't play more. I feel like he gets less leeway when he makes mistakes than say Cheatham or JJ. I trust Duane in crunch time. Would like to see him getting more time.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 08:21:54 PM »
You're right, my bad, he did start the second half, but once he came out after a few minutes, I don't think he ever went back in again. I'd love to hear Wojo's explanation for that one, I really would.

He subbed in at the *very* end of the game too, but I don't think anything between those two points.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 08:26:59 PM »
Makes me wonder if Wojo gets too caught up in the game and forgets about him.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 08:28:06 PM »

We joke about the mind games with JJJ, but what does Duane have to be thinking at this point? I thought the decision not play him down the stretch was horrible. We needed a bucket, so we turn to JJJ? I guess Wojo forgot about Duane's game-winning/clinching baskets last year @Creighton, and oh yes, @Providence. The guy has shown to be a finisher, he needed to be out there.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 08:37:45 PM »
I guess Wojo forgot about Duane's game-winning/clinching baskets last year @Creighton, and oh yes, @Providence. The guy has shown to be a finisher, he needed to be out there.

Heck, Duane made a big three and a drive or we don't beat Villanova less than a month ago!  I prefer him on the floor to JJJ too.  If we need a basket, the five I want on the floor are Rowsey, Howard, Duane, Luke (if he hasn't fouled out) and Reinhardt (no hero ball allowed).  Duane will drive and make a pass if he thinks it is in our best interest, and that is what you need in the big spot when you have shooters like we do.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 08:43:01 PM »
It's not even so much his finishing abilities..He should have been in there during PC's run to slow Cartwrights penetration down. I just don't understand how you can't have him on the floor.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 08:44:21 PM »
Duane has only 7 turnovers during the entire BE season.

JJJ has 35.  Haanif has 33

TOV% in conference season.  Duane 10.5%.  JJJ 19.8.  Haanif 22.5.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 09:16:12 PM »
Duane has only 7 turnovers during the entire BE season.

JJJ has 35.  Haanif has 33

TOV% in conference season.  Duane 10.5%.  JJJ 19.8.  Haanif 22.5.

What's even more concerning to me, is if Duane says f it after this year and leaves now because of stuff like this.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 09:31:19 PM »
This is all I was thinking down the stretch.

JJJ showed flashes in the first half, but he wasn't doing anything that warranted 30 minutes tonight. Especially defensively. It was almost like Wojo was trying to overcompensate for playing him so little the two previous games.

Duane has been doing a fantastic job of getting the ball to the right guy on the floor. And when no one else is taking charge, he picks the right spots to attack on his own.

JJJ / Katin / Rowsey are generally only looking for ways to score the ball. No reason to have those 3 guys together with a 12 point lead. JJJ should have been sitting for Duane once Howard exited.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 09:41:18 PM »

LOL

I highly doubt that, bro.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 01:12:51 AM »
First, I will say that I think Duane is very good player.

Second, I will say that I think Duane isn't quite as good as this board makes him out to be.

However, I do think he has shown a hint of "it" that our team is missing. So I would like to see him more because I have lost hope that JJJ and Cheatham will develop "it" this season.

I have wondered if Duane's minutes are limited by injury. He has a long history of injuries, including some that I don't think we're made widely known. He's never had more than 25 minutes in a game this season and that was in an OT game where it was forced.

I also wonder if this was just a young coach questioning himself. Wojo made a commitment to play the tough over the talented. It could be that Wojo faltered and decided to play the more talented JJJ over the tougher Duane. Coaches make those mistakes. Wojo will learn.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 04:40:05 AM »
Fair point and a question I'd like Homer to ask Wojo on Thursday (wrong board, I know). Is one of your assistants responsible for substitutions?
GO WARRIORS!

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 12:30:40 PM »

His benchings and what seen like intentional limiting of minutes seem like they are more to send a message than anything. He seems to keep some guys (Duane, JJ) on a short leash while allowing others (Rowsey, HC) to get away with a lot more.

I'm admittedly biased, but this comes across as immaturity from Wojo to me. It seems personal, and it doesn't help the team win. It's fine to send a message here and there, but I think that can be done outside of game day effectively.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 02:15:04 PM »
First, I will say that I think Duane is very good player.

Second, I will say that I think Duane isn't quite as good as this board makes him out to be.

However, I do think he has shown a hint of "it" that our team is missing. So I would like to see him more because I have lost hope that JJJ and Cheatham will develop "it" this season.

I have wondered if Duane's minutes are limited by injury. He has a long history of injuries, including some that I don't think we're made widely known. He's never had more than 25 minutes in a game this season and that was in an OT game where it was forced.

I also wonder if this was just a young coach questioning himself. Wojo made a commitment to play the tough over the talented. It could be that Wojo faltered and decided to play the more talented JJJ over the tougher Duane. Coaches make those mistakes. Wojo will learn.
I think Duane has had some nagging leg related injuries and the floor conditions yesterday came into play. I would prefer to  see Duane and JJJ on the floor at the same time. They have a good chemistry .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 03:53:17 PM »
His benchings and what seen like intentional limiting of minutes seem like they are more to send a message than anything. He seems to keep some guys (Duane, JJ) on a short leash while allowing others (Rowsey, HC) to get away with a lot more.

I'm admittedly biased, but this comes across as immaturity from Wojo to me. It seems personal, and it doesn't help the team win. It's fine to send a message here and there, but I think that can be done outside of game day effectively.

We all did see the hazardous floor yesterday, did we not?  If I'm the coach, I ain't risking an already-hobbled player out there either.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 04:24:48 PM »

You have to remember that neither are his guys and if they were less talented, he would jettisoned them awhile ago.  Wilson's shot selection is terrible and he at times seems to run out of the confines of the offense.  It's sad that he hasn't improved.  He showed much promise as a freshman but hasn't put it together mentally.  I would have thought he'd be getting 20+ min a game, at this point, a few years ago.  Squandered talent.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 09:40:07 AM »
great question. He didn't play in the second half because Wojo is a moron and a not-so-good in game coach. If you believe otherwise, you're a sheep.

Fire wojo. Another classic choke-job under his leadership. You win the close games you're supposed to, the team is dancing. Pitt, @Seton Hall and now this. Inexcusable.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 11:26:32 AM »
great question. He didn't play in the second half because Wojo is a moron and a not-so-good in game coach. If you believe otherwise, you're a sheep.

Fire wojo. Another classic choke-job under his leadership. You win the close games you're supposed to, the team is dancing. Pitt, @Seton Hall and now this. Inexcusable.

Are we sheep now instead of slurpers?  Did Bront take the "slurpers" name with him to VTU?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 11:29:42 AM »
Did anyone actually think there was a legitimate reason that Duane didn't play that may have been related to playing conditions and not actual coaching incompetence.....or does that not fit #TheNarrative
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 11:31:02 AM »
Did anyone actually think there was a legitimate reason that Duane didn't play that may have been related to playing conditions and not actual coaching incompetence.....or does that not fit #TheNarrative

Good point. Though some of these guys seem to be more of the "it's do or die right now and you have to take risks even if it means injury" mindset.
Maigh Eo for Sam