[Today at 09:54:20 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 270287 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #1275 on: September 21, 2017, 10:09:23 PM »
All - this is not about the wisconsin team

WIN TWINS!!!!! AMERICAS TEAM! We shall carry the torch for you smalltimers, no worries!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1276 on: September 21, 2017, 10:20:58 PM »
Baez with the worst at bat I've ever seen that resulted in a tie game in the 9th

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1277 on: September 21, 2017, 10:23:09 PM »
Baez with the worst at bat I've ever seen that resulted in a tie game in the 9th

That's a bit of hyperbole.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1278 on: September 21, 2017, 10:31:52 PM »
That's a bit of hyperbole.

It would have been a hyperbole if I said he should have used a golf club.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1279 on: September 21, 2017, 10:43:48 PM »
Now that is two great at bat's.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1280 on: September 21, 2017, 10:44:26 PM »
And make that three

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1281 on: September 21, 2017, 10:49:41 PM »
Jump right over that 3.66 ERA he put up after joining the Cubs and started to make adjustments.

I have some other adjectives I'd prefer to use but this isn't the appropriate forum.

Huh?  I jumped over what, exactly?  The decent month and a half he had with the Cubs, which was included in the 4.78 ERA that was listed?  I didn't skip over anything, "genius."

And oooooh no.  That last line is genuinely giving me a giant laugh.  Outstanding.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1282 on: September 21, 2017, 10:55:31 PM »
Brewers win the game is Sogard fields Happ’s grounder.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1283 on: September 21, 2017, 11:10:55 PM »
Huh?  I jumped over what, exactly?  The decent month and a half he had with the Cubs, which was included in the 4.78 ERA that was listed?  I didn't skip over anything, "genius."

And oooooh no.  That last line is genuinely giving me a giant laugh.  Outstanding.

Someones salty after Bryant's bomb.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1284 on: September 21, 2017, 11:11:20 PM »
I'm stealing this from someone. But I wanna do it.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1285 on: September 21, 2017, 11:17:35 PM »

Yes. After the trade he was sent down to the minors to begin adjusting his mechanics. He then came up and found success and continued to build on it the following season and into 2016. There was never a huge increase in velocity. 

It's all perfectly logical. Unfortunately you're too dense and stubborn to let go of your ridiculous narrative despite all evidence to the contrary.

It's my fault I continue to engage on the topic as it's futile.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1286 on: September 21, 2017, 11:22:28 PM »
Someones salty after Bryant's bomb.

Lol.  I guess you missed the thousands of other posts on the subject.  Or maybe they all come when the Cubs are beating the Brewers?  Err...I have nothing to be salty about.  The Brewers should be about 25 games back of the Cubs right now.  Didn't see any of the game tonight.  Simply enjoying the unexpected success this season.

But yeah, salty after Bryant's bomb.  That's it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1287 on: September 21, 2017, 11:22:43 PM »
We interrupt discussion of the latest Brewers Choke-A-Thon to talk about the MVP Award ...

Trout is showing why an MVP should come from a team that at least contends for a playoff spot. It's easy to just swing away when there's nothing on the line for half a season or more. When it's nut-cuttin' time, not so easy.

I wouldn't have voted him MVP last season. I wouldn't vote for Stanton this season. I wouldn't have voted for A-Rod the year he won it for a Rangers team that finished 1,000 games out of first place. I wouldn't have voted for Dawson or Banks.

It's pretty simple: If they're gonna call it MVP, the V has to mean something. If they want it to just go to the best player, they should just call it BP; then I'd have no problem with Stanton getting it.

Cy Young is best pitcher, not most valuable pitcher, so sure, give it to a last-place guy if his numbers merit it. Same with Rookie of the Year; it's not Most Valuable Rookie.

But it's MVP, not BP.

I think we've had this discussion before, but I just got reminded of it watching Trout flail away lately. Given all kinds of chances to be valuable for a contending team, he isn't doing it. It would be so much easier for him to relax at the plate if the Angels were 40 games out again.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1288 on: September 21, 2017, 11:29:59 PM »
Yes. After the trade he was sent down to the minors to begin adjusting his mechanics. He then came up and found success and continued to build on it the following season and into 2016. There was never a huge increase in velocity. 

It's all perfectly logical. Unfortunately you're too dense and stubborn to let go of your ridiculous narrative despite all evidence to the contrary.

It's my fault I continue to engage on the topic as it's futile.

Yeah, I know.  You have Bossio.  He turns all 28 year old pitchers who can't stay in the majors into the best pitchers in baseball.

I guess if you don't consider 85 up to 91 on the slider not a huge increase in velocity sure we can agree there.

It's alright.  We get it.  It's super common that a guy can't stay under 4.50 for his ERA and can't stay in the majors in his career and then suddenly it all just clicks and next thing you know you're a top 5 pitcher in all of baseball at 28 years old like that.  Happens all the time.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1289 on: September 21, 2017, 11:34:20 PM »
We interrupt discussion of the latest Brewers Choke-A-Thon to talk about the MVP Award ...

Trout is showing why an MVP should come from a team that at least contends for a playoff spot. It's easy to just swing away when there's nothing on the line for half a season or more. When it's nut-cuttin' time, not so easy.

I wouldn't have voted him MVP last season. I wouldn't vote for Stanton this season. I wouldn't have voted for A-Rod the year he won it for a Rangers team that finished 1,000 games out of first place. I wouldn't have voted for Dawson or Banks.

It's pretty simple: If they're gonna call it MVP, the V has to mean something. If they want it to just go to the best player, they should just call it BP; then I'd have no problem with Stanton getting it.

Cy Young is best pitcher, not most valuable pitcher, so sure, give it to a last-place guy if his numbers merit it. Same with Rookie of the Year; it's not Most Valuable Rookie.

But it's MVP, not BP.

I think we've had this discussion before, but I just got reminded of it watching Trout flail away lately. Given all kinds of chances to be valuable for a contending team, he isn't doing it. It would be so much easier for him to relax at the plate if the Angels were 40 games out again.
Never understood why the BBWAA thinks an MVP should be on a contending team, doesnt make any sense to me. 'Most valuable' and 'best' are synonymous to me.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1290 on: September 21, 2017, 11:54:11 PM »
Never understood why the BBWAA thinks an MVP should be on a contending team, doesnt make any sense to me. 'Most valuable' and 'best' are synonymous to me.

How valuable can a player be if his team finishes 30 games out of 1st place? He could be replaced by a Minor Leaguer and the team would have the same chance to win their division.

Is that fair? I would say probably not, but neither is life.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1291 on: September 22, 2017, 12:05:12 AM »
The bloody Cardinals are gonna make the playoffs aren't they?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1292 on: September 22, 2017, 12:09:27 AM »
Yeah, I know.  You have Bossio.  He turns all 28 year old pitchers who can't stay in the majors into the best pitchers in baseball.

I guess if you don't consider 85 up to 91 on the slider not a huge increase in velocity sure we can agree there.

It's alright.  We get it.  It's super common that a guy can't stay under 4.50 for his ERA and can't stay in the majors in his career and then suddenly it all just clicks and next thing you know you're a top 5 pitcher in all of baseball at 28 years old like that.  Happens all the time.

Who's Bossio?

A link to his velocities over the years, starting with his rookie year, would be great. I'll be waiting.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1293 on: September 22, 2017, 12:10:31 AM »
The bloody Cardinals are gonna make the playoffs aren't they?

Shut your mouth.

Still a lot of baseball left but the Brewers/Cards series the last weekend could be huge.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1294 on: September 22, 2017, 12:14:07 AM »

Nevermind. I found it and it proves just how full of sh*t you are.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=453562&time=&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=09/22/2017&s_type=2

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1295 on: September 22, 2017, 12:15:23 AM »
Who's Bossio?

A link to his velocities over the years, starting with his rookie year, would be great. I'll be waiting.

Lol wait, really? So you say, “there wasn’t a huge increase in velocity,” then when the actual numbers are brought up you admit that you’ve never seen year to year velocity numbers for him? AKA you were just taking a shot in the dark that the velocity has been the same without actually having looked into it? And then ask me to do the leg work for you?

My goodness, that is good. “Genius.”

Hint: Fangraphs. I hope that makes it easy enough that you don’t have to keep waiting.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1296 on: September 22, 2017, 12:19:44 AM »
Lol wait, really? So you say, “there wasn’t a huge increase in velocity,” then when the actual numbers are brought up you admit that you’ve never seen year to year velocity numbers for him? AKA you were just taking a shot in the dark that the velocity has been the same without actually having looked into it? And then ask me to do the leg work for you?

My goodness, that is good. “Genius.”

Hint: Fangraphs. I hope that makes it easy enough that you don’t have to keep waiting.

I have seen them. I just wanted you to provide them since you're the one making the claim.

You make it easy to make you look stupid.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1297 on: September 22, 2017, 12:23:38 AM »
Home plate ump has been horrendous on both sides.

This. Both teams had pitches down the middle called balls.

Also not a good look when the ump is wearing glasses!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1298 on: September 22, 2017, 12:26:26 AM »
I have seen them. I just wanted you to provide them since you're the one making the claim.

You make it easy to make you look stupid.

Says the guy who literally just asked me to provide him with the numbers to show the velocity of his pitches throughout his career AFTER making the claim that his velocity hasn’t changed throughout his career. And then AFTER that pulls up some random website nobody’s ever used and says “hey look I found the numbers that I claim I had already seen but obviously hadn’t or I wouldn’t be asking you to find them and then saying hey look I found them!”

Here you go, “genius.”

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4153&position=P

Not too hard to comprehend. Slider in 2010 with Baltimore comes in at 85.3. In 2015 it’s at 90.8. Hmm. No velocity change there at all.

But yeah I’m full of sh!t, despite telling you the exact numbers while you literally claim you’ll be waiting because the numbers can’t be found. Lol. This is too good.

Here’s an idea. Next time you think to yourself, “I don’t think I can find this information,” go to this website called Google.com, type in what you’re trying to find, and chances are you’ll find it. It takes like 15 seconds max usually. Worth it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:28:20 AM by QuentinsWorld »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1299 on: September 22, 2017, 12:26:53 AM »

That didn't even fall in the worst 100 Baez at-bats of all time.