Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane Wilson  (Read 11359 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: Duane Wilson
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2017, 05:34:10 PM »
I don't think it is that they don't like wojo....I think that possibly applies to the Buzz leftovers or those are the guys not bought into the system or wojo and they do what they want.   I think Duane is the one holdover guy who has bought in to the system, the coaching and his role.    I think the Wojo recruits are fully bought in and you can see their relationship with Wojo (in guys like Howard).    Case in point today, in the second half when Georgetown was extending the lead...Duane gets overmatched in a a 1:1 defensive set with a guy in lane who backs him down....he is looking for weakside help from JJJ who just abandons the defensive set and starts trotting (slowly mind you) to the perimeter.   The guy scores on Duane and Duane looks to JJJ, gives him a death stare and then a look of "wtf dude...you know you are supposed to cover that!" and then let's him have it verbally.      I think that is just one example of JJJ doing whatever he wants many times on both ends...or KR taking forced, bad shots....or failure to feed the ball in to Luke and back out....or whatever.    Now, if the guys aren't listening, following the plan, or mailing it in..then Wojo needs to just pull them and sit them.     I would love to see Duane get more playing  time the rest of the year....

I have to laugh at all this Buzz hold over talk.

JJJ - played 1 year for Buzz, played spotty minutes
Luke - Arrived in December and only practiced for 1 semester under Buzz
Duane - Sat out and may have practiced some under Buzz

That's it.

Lets stop acting like Buzz's guys are ruining the program.  This whole team is Wojo's guys.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2017, 06:40:40 PM »
Another example....multiple times there were at least 3, if not 4, Georgetown players crashing the boards and the only player in position for MU was Luke....even the announcers called that out (specifically KR and JJJ)....perhaps they are too anxious to get on the offensive end and get their shots off...who knows?    But the coaches were clearly giving them an earful too....they either don't understand or choose not to follow the plan...either case is a problem.
My description of MU rebounding is getting in position and waiting for the ball to come to them, while teams like Villanova, Xavier, Seton Hall and Georgetown go after the ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2017, 09:42:13 PM »
I read this as Duane calling out the team for not executing. Team buys into the plan but isn't executing the plan. The why the team isn't executing is the question. Hopefully its correctable.

I do love Duane's attitude. I hope he gets healthy over the offseason and his play can raise to the level of his mindset. He seems to have the right leadership abilities that the team is lacking. But I feel like team leaders need to be able to lead on the court as well as off it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2017, 11:46:46 PM »
We need to solve this defense problem. We got a week off to do it

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2017, 11:57:16 PM »
We need to solve this defense problem. We got a week off to do it

No, our defense has sucked all season. What's changed is our offense has gone from elite to average. Fix the offense.
TAMU

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2017, 11:59:33 PM »
No, our defense has sucked all season. What's changed is our offense has gone from elite to average. Fix the offense.

fix both, win national championship. Feel free to hire me as coach now.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2017, 08:44:02 AM »
Problem with this tea is no true leader on the court running things.  Don't care where Duane falls on the talent spectrum of the team but I want him out there more after this statement.  Need him out there running and directing things.  Declare him the leader, start him and let's go. Nothing to lose.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2017, 09:21:36 AM »
I think next season we will take a slight step forward. Them 2018-2019 is when we take a major jump, just need a good recruiting class that year

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2017, 09:25:05 PM »
UWM is in Milwaukee. UW loses two senior guards.
Do you think Gard would take Duane as a grad transfer?
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2017, 10:24:04 PM »
Do you think Gard would take Duane as a grad transfer?

I don't know if Gard would take him, but I don't think Duane would transfer there.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2017, 10:24:45 PM »
I don't know if Gard would take him, but I don't think Duane would transfer there.
Duane doesn't seem like a kid who would transfer to the rivals

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2017, 11:05:51 AM »
Duane needs more clock. I'd play him 35 minutes a game. Figure it out wojo . He's the only guy we toughness, heart

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2017, 11:17:58 AM »
Duane needs more clock. I'd play him 35 minutes a game. Figure it out wojo . He's the only guy we toughness, heart
He's the leader of the team imo

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2017, 11:43:22 AM »

Good idea in theory, but he'll foul out before he gets to 35.  Let's start him and let him play until he gets his 3rd foul in the first half, then start him in the 2nd half and keep him in till he fouls out.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2017, 02:22:42 PM »
Good idea in theory, but he'll foul out before he gets to 35.  Let's start him and let him play until he gets his 3rd foul in the first half, then start him in the 2nd half and keep him in till he fouls out.
This but need to do it better than just fouling out. And when he is the hot hand Wojo rides him but when he gets 2 quick fouls needs to pull him.
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2017, 02:47:03 PM »
I'm all for starting Duane over JJ.  But if his recent pattern holds, he will have two fouls by the first media timeout.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2017, 05:17:18 PM »
Love Duane's attitude, but he hasn't matched it on the floor. Think injuries are still dogging him. Last game out he looked good. Arguably our best player. Hopefully its a turning point for him.
TAMU

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2017, 06:09:50 PM »
These comments about Wilson being foul prone are misleading. Both Howard and Fischer have more fouls per minute than Wilson, and Hauser is almost  identical to Wislon. And those three start.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2017, 06:39:31 PM »
So they are all foul prone......

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2017, 07:35:34 PM »
I read this as Duane calling out the team for not executing. Team buys into the plan but isn't executing the plan. The why the team isn't executing is the question. Hopefully its correctable.

I do love Duane's attitude. I hope he gets healthy over the offseason and his play can raise to the level of his mindset. He seems to have the right leadership abilities that the team is lacking. But I feel like team leaders need to be able to lead on the court as well as off it.

Are we still talking about his broken leg from 3 years ago, or is there a more recent injury that I am not aware of ???
If he hasn't healed by now, one more summer isn't going to help.

BTW, Duane is tough as he11.  Wish we had a few more of him on the team.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2017, 11:56:20 AM »
Are we still talking about his broken leg from 3 years ago, or is there a more recent injury that I am not aware of ???
If he hasn't healed by now, one more summer isn't going to help.

BTW, Duane is tough as he11.  Wish we had a few more of him on the team.
I would guess the groin injury could still bother him some, specially whike guarding quick players.
Goal is National Championship

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2017, 12:41:04 PM »
Yeah he's not fluid all of the time now. Maybe the groin, maybe something else. Hope it's not a labral tear, but would explain why he looks smooth sometimes and seems to be moving at 60% others.  He rides the bike before he's subbed in at home. Seems like he has to pick his spots unfortunately.  Whatever the case, I think it's safe to say if we make the NCAA's it will be because he played a huge role down the stretch.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2017, 12:54:55 PM »
Always liked Duane, if anything hes the toughest guy on the team, possibly plagued by injuries too much to be effective as he was the year after the redshirt. Hope he sticks around a year.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2017, 08:41:08 AM »
Always liked Duane, if anything hes the toughest guy on the team, possibly plagued by injuries too much to be effective as he was the year after the redshirt. Hope he sticks around a year.
I agree i hope he doesn't leave

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2017, 09:16:21 AM »
Everything I heard makes me believe Duane will here next year. Having him as a senior leader might be more beneficial than his stats on paper would suggest.
TAMU