collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Students Want to Ban Ben Shapiro During Black History Month  (Read 5133 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Marquette Students Want to Ban Ben Shapiro During Black History Month
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 12:03:29 PM »
https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/02/06/marquette-students-want-to-ban-ben-shapiro-during-black-history-month/

Is this really true?

Is what really true?

This?  "A group of progressive students at Marquette University are upset that conservative firebrand Ben Shapiro is scheduled to speak on campus later this week, citing “Black History Month” as one reason why his presence is an insult and threat."

Probably.  Who knows how many or the impact. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 12:31:20 PM »

Is what really true?

This?  "A group of progressive students at Marquette University are upset that conservative firebrand Ben Shapiro is scheduled to speak on campus later this week, citing “Black History Month” as one reason why his presence is an insult and threat."

Probably.  Who knows how many or the impact.

Correct

The question ... is the administration at MU "strong enough" to allow this to happen.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 02:06:06 PM »
From the link above

Marquette University already has a reputation for being inhospitable to free speech. In 2016, the university was on the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education’s list of Ten Worst Universities for Free Speech because of its suspension of Professor John McAdams over a blog post he wrote in November 2014. On Thursday, the case goes before Milwaukee County Circuit Court Judge David Hansher, who will consider motions from McAdams’ attorneys and Marquette University for summary judgment in the case.

Sit back and enjoy the 10 pages to follow.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
You guys don't know the half of it:

http://www.rightwisconsin.com/opinion/daily-takes/marquette-official-who-schemed-to-keep-out-ben-shapiro-event-attendees-being-reprimanded

I love how they refer to her as "a Marquette official." She's a student worker. Literally the lowest rung of the food chain. And she acted as a student, not as an employee, so she has her own free speech that must be protected.

This is much ado about nothing. A student who works for the Gender and Sexuality Studies office wanted to protest Ben Shapiro (which is a form of free speech). She asked the people she worked with for suggestions on how to peacefully protest. They suggested that she NOT protest at the event because that gives Shapiro more attention. So the student decided to buy a ticket for the event but not attend and encouraged the others to do the same. She has the right to buy a ticket and she has the right to not use said ticket. The only issue is that she mentioned the name of her office in her facebook post which I'm sure is being addressed.

Essentially this was a student trying to organize and a protest and doing it poorly. Nothing to see here.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:34:12 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 03:29:29 PM »
I love how they refer to her as "a Marquette official." She's a student worker. Literally the lowest rung of the food chain. And she acted as a student, not as an employee, so she has her own free speech that must be protected.

This is much ado about nothing. A student who works for the Gender and Sexuality Studies office wanted to protest Ben Shapiro (which is a form of free speech). She asked the people she worked with for suggestions on how to peacefully protest. They suggested that she NOT protest at the event because that gives Shapiro more attention. So the student decided to buy a ticket for the event but not attend and encouraged the others to do the same. She has the right to buy a ticket and she has the right to not use said ticket. The only issue is that she mentioned the name of her office in her facebook post which I'm sure is being addressed.

Essentially this was a student trying to organize and a protest and doing it poorly. Nothing to see here.

Now it's in the Washington Times.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/feb/6/marquette-students-upset-ben-shapiro-invited-campu/

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 04:20:22 PM »
There is nothing to see here if Marquette goes ahead with the event.

You people worry too much about inconsequential media coverage.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 04:31:24 PM »
There is nothing to see here if Marquette goes ahead with the event.

You people worry too much about inconsequential media coverage.

This. The McAdams situation didnt affect MU one iota, and neither will this.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 04:37:08 PM »
Yes, it is true that a small percentage of students are trying to organize a protest and doing it poorly.     But go ahead and feel outraged.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 05:11:21 PM »
This will be beaten to death. But if I may offer a couple of thoughts:

1) Free speech doesn't mean free speech as long as you agree with me.

2) The core of a university is the ability to find truth from exposure to varying and even sometimes false or misleading ideas.

3) If prior restraint is your goal, then you're really afraid about the weakness or lack of truth in your own thought. If you're confident in your righteousness, then bring 'em on!

4) The goal of any presentation should be to understand your position and your audience so you do justice to one and show compassion to the other.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 06:43:59 PM »
This will be beaten to death. But if I may offer a couple of thoughts:

1) Free speech doesn't mean free speech as long as you agree with me.

2) The core of a university is the ability to find truth from exposure to varying and even sometimes false or misleading ideas.

3) If prior restraint is your goal, then you're really afraid about the weakness or lack of truth in your own thought. If you're confident in your righteousness, then bring 'em on!

4) The goal of any presentation should be to understand your position and your audience so you do justice to one and show compassion to the other.

But but but ... the snowflakes need their safe spaces.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 06:56:03 PM »
Let me know if Marquette cancels the speech. Which it shouldn't.

Otherwise, this is absolutely, positively not an issue at all. On a scale of 1 to 10, right now it is a 0.5.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 07:05:57 PM »

Otherwise, this is absolutely, positively not an issue at all. On a scale of 1 to 10, right now it is a 0.5.

No chance of that happening.

Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 07:21:59 PM »

Exactly.   Outrage over college students protesting.    Might as well be outraged against breathing. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 10:12:02 PM »
But but but ... the snowflakes need their safe spaces.

See, I never understood the snowflake or safe space insults.

When a snowflake comes against adversity, it melts. Does nothing. Just fades into the background. This generation of students doesn't do that. When they come up against adversity, they get angry. They protest, they make noise. They actually activate and try to do something about it. I would equate those who are outraged that students would protest more with snowflakes. They don't do anything, they just get angry and post on message boards...the outrage probably makes them melt!

The safe space I get more, because there have been times when safe spaces have been corrupted into no free speech zones. But those are few and far between. Most times, they are events or programs were students are invited to express their free speech, on both sides of an issue in an opendialouge. Yes you can't be an *sshole at the event, but as long as you express yourself in a civil manner, your opinion is welcome. TAMU just hosted one on the immigration ban. There were students, faculty, and staff from both sides. It was a fantastic event. We had one Iranian student share how her parents had their visas revoked right before they were coming to stay with her. She and her husband had just had a baby and now she might need to drop out of school because her parents were coming to watch the baby while she went to class. We had another student who lost an older sibling in 9/11 and shared how they were terrified that another attack might be coming and the ban might stop that. There were some yahoos on both sides but for the most part it was a fantastic event where people from both sides walked away gaining a greater perspective.

Safe spaces don't chill speech. They encourage it. They give students the opportunity to hear from another perspective without fear of being attacked.

Of course I hate the Fing name "safe space" because it brings up the wrong imagery and has been corrupted by both sides. I don't know what to call it instead. "Event on controversial topic where you can't be an *sshole" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Honestly, I think the people who want safe spaces the most are those who are outraged that students dare protest an event. They seem so terrified of the concept of students disagreeing with their opinion that they can't handle it. TAMU just hosted a speech by one of the founders of the Black Lives Matters movement. We had phones ringing off the hook from alumni demanding that it be shut down. I guess they needed a safe space too!

Mods, I apologize if wandered too much into the political realm. Was trying to make a non-political point in an admittedly close to politics fashion.
TAMU

brandx

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 10:59:05 PM »

When a snowflake comes against adversity, it melts. Does nothing. Just fades into the background. This generation of students doesn't do that. When they come up against adversity, they get angry. They protest, they make noise. They actually activate and try to do something about it. I would equate those who are outraged that students would protest more with snowflakes. They don't do anything, they just get angry and post on message boards...the outrage probably makes them melt!

The safe space I get more, because there have been times when safe spaces have been corrupted into no free speech zones. But those are few and far between. Most times, they are events or programs were students are invited to express their free speech, on both sides of an issue in an opendialouge. Yes you can't be an *sshole at the event, but as long as you express yourself in a civil manner, your opinion is welcome. TAMU just hosted one on the immigration ban. There were students, faculty, and staff from both sides. It was a fantastic event. We had one Iranian student share how her parents had their visas revoked right before they were coming to stay with her. She and her husband had just had a baby and now she might need to drop out of school because her parents were coming to watch the baby while she went to class. We had another student who lost an older sibling in 9/11 and shared how they were terrified that another attack might be coming and the ban might stop that. There were some yahoos on both sides but for the most part it was a fantastic event where people from both sides walked away gaining a greater perspective.

Safe spaces don't chill speech. They encourage it. They give students the opportunity to hear from another perspective without fear of being attacked.

Of course I hate the Fing name "safe space" because it brings up the wrong imagery and has been corrupted by both sides. I don't know what to call it instead. "Event on controversial topic where you can't be an *sshole" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Honestly, I think the people who want safe spaces the most are those who are outraged that students dare protest an event. They seem so terrified of the concept of students disagreeing with their opinion that they can't handle it. TAMU just hosted a speech by one of the founders of the Black Lives Matters movement. We had phones ringing off the hook from alumni demanding that it be shut down. I guess they needed a safe space too!

Mods, I apologize if wandered too much into the political realm. Was trying to make a non-political point in an admittedly close to politics fashion.

This post is why we should have a politics board. The post you quoted is why we don't.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 11:06:23 PM »

FWIW

The term snowflake is believed to have originated from the 1999 movie "Fight Club" starring Brad Pitt as Tyler Durden.

In the movie Tyer is trying to toughen up some white suburban 20-somethings so he tells them they are not precious little snowflakes.  That has been shortened to just snowflakes.

It supposed to say that college students that need safe spaces are a bunch of fragile pansies.  Too fragile to survive in the real world.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 11:12:16 PM »
FWIW

The term snowflake is believed to have originated from the 1999 movie "Fight Club" starring Brad Pitt as Tyler Durden.

In the movie Tyer is trying to toughen up some white suburban 20-somethings so he tells them they are not precious little snowflakes.  That has been shortened to just snowflakes.

It supposed to say that college students that need safe spaces are a bunch of fragile pansies.  Too fragile to survive in the real world.

I wondered what the origin was, thank you. Ashamed I didn't recognize it because I love that movie.

I would agree that this newest generation, igen some are calling it, are a little fragile. They seem to lack basic survival skills such as cooking, taking their necessary medicines on time, and critical thinking. I would argue that politically is one area where they are not snowflakes. They are ready to up and protest any old thing. Personally love the activism as long is it is done peacefully.
TAMU

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 06:25:08 AM »
I know this constructive conversation can't go on forever but I heard that the new Congress wants to relook at the whole Title IX, sexual assault thing. TAMU, thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 06:47:01 AM by jsglow »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 06:43:58 AM »
Who are the bigger cry babies,  liberal snowflakes,  or alt-right nationalists whose outrage over the outrage is destroying America.   Tough to tell these days.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 07:34:53 AM »
I know this constructive conversation can't go on forever but I heard that the new Congress wants to relook at the whole Title IX, sexual assault thing. TAMU, thoughts?

A very vocal minority wants to look at it. But it doesn't really matter. The interpretation of title IX can be changed without congressional approval by the department of education. It will really be up to the new secretary. We are all nervous. I won't lose my job but I may need to put in a completely new position because mine won't exist anymore. I don't think we get to that point. Ending campus sexual assault is one of the few issues that has massive bipartisan support. I'd be shocked if they reversed on it. I think all that will happen is the scope of title IX will stop expanding. Which could be a good thing. Universities are struggling to come up to compliance with the existing changes. This will give them time.
TAMU

reinko

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2017, 08:26:33 AM »
A very vocal minority wants to look at it. But it doesn't really matter. The interpretation of title IX can be changed without congressional approval by the department of education. It will really be up to the new secretary. We are all nervous. I won't lose my job but I may need to put in a completely new position because mine won't exist anymore. I don't think we get to that point. Ending campus sexual assault is one of the few issues that has massive bipartisan support. I'd be shocked if they reversed on it. I think all that will happen is the scope of title IX will stop expanding. Which could be a good thing. Universities are struggling to come up to compliance with the existing changes. This will give them time.

Maybe Art Briles can lead this work @ the national level.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2017, 08:29:59 AM »

Yeah, thanks for the clarification.  I had heard that in the DeVos discussion.  I suspect you're right that the impact will be focused on enhanced due process for the accused.

feedback