collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: illinois senate bill 12 SA #2...bear down chicago bears....  (Read 5830 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
illinois senate bill 12 SA #2...bear down chicago bears....
« on: February 04, 2017, 03:44:58 PM »

stick a fork in da bears...if it hasn't already been stuck.  and cutler will be the first one out the door-damn damn damn
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
Re: illinois senate bill 12 SA #2...bear down chicago bears....
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 03:47:01 PM »
WTF does this even mean?  Context?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 03:47:45 PM »
Politics.   With an impact on sports.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 04:05:10 PM »

stick a fork in da bears...if it hasn't already been stuck.  and cutler will be the first one out the door-damn damn damn

Pardon? 

Not as black and white as Smith made it sound. Each pro team in Chicago has supported it.

And not sure what this has to do with Cutler. He's gone regardless.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 04:18:52 PM »
Pardon? 

Not as black and white as Smith made it sound. Each pro team in Chicago has supported it.

i DID NOT post this for any political purposes-strictly about the AFFECT it COULD have on illinois pro sports teams

i should have put that cutler part in teal-it was 100% sarcasm

"each pro team in chicago.."  that's the problem.  many in chicago(read bear supporters-i guess there are some left) are freaking out. 

brandx

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 04:57:14 PM »
WTF does this even mean?  Context?

It is a bill to prohibit workman's comp for injuries to anyone over 35. So if a Bear player has a chronic bad back or knees from playing football and has to retire - he would receive no benefits if older than 35. The McCaskeys are the biggest advocates of the bill. The bill would also affect minor leaguers in any sport as well. Based on politics, I would guess that the Ricketts and Reinsdorf would support it as well - but have not heard that yet.

The impact? Demourey Smith has said that if this amendment is passed as part of the budget bill, he will recommend to the Player's Union that no players sign a free agency deal with the Bears as a general policy.

brandx

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 04:57:58 PM »
Pardon? 

By team - you mean each OWNER.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 05:38:24 PM »

It is a bill to prohibit workman's comp.

There is no such thing as workman's comp.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 06:47:35 PM »
It's bad optics on the Bears part. I can understand and see both sides of the argument here, ultimately I think it won't pass, too much of a precedent being set against a specific career class.

Sir Lawrence would probably be best to speak on this topic, would be interested in his view on this.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 06:49:13 PM »
i DID NOT post this for any political purposes-strictly about the AFFECT it COULD have on illinois pro sports teams

i should have put that cutler part in teal-it was 100% sarcasm

"each pro team in chicago.."  that's the problem.  many in chicago(read bear supporters-i guess there are some left) are freaking out.

I didn't think you posted it for political purposes. Not sure how my response insinuated that but I didn't mean for it to.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 06:52:11 PM »
By team - you mean each OWNER.

Sure. I imagine there are multiple people involved in the discussion. For example, I highly doubt Tom Ricketts made a decision without input from others.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 07:16:49 PM »
I didn't think you posted it for political purposes. Not sure how my response insinuated that but I didn't mean for it to.

sorry vander-wasn't aimed specifically at you, but tower mentioned the, gasp! "word" so i thought i'd get out in front of it and blow that flame out before it caught fire, ein'a tower? get it? flame?  absolutely with all due respect

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 07:43:46 PM »
Meh.   It is a bill being debated in a legislature that would impact, among many other people, athletes.     Ergo, politics that impact sports. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 10:34:47 PM »
Meh.   It is a bill being debated in a legislature that would impact, among many other people, athletes.     Ergo, politics that impact sports.

I think the chances are good that it won't pass. A couple states have tried and failed before.

brandx

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 10:36:09 PM »
There is no such thing as workman's comp.

Workers' Compensation Insurance: It's the LAW. Illinois law requires employers to provide workers' compensation insurance for almost everyone who is hired, injured, or whose employment is localized in Illinois.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 01:13:12 AM »
Yes, workers comp is the law.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 10:33:56 AM »
Workers' Compensation Insurance: It's the LAW. Illinois law requires employers to provide workers' compensation insurance for almost everyone who is hired, injured, or whose employment is localized in Illinois.

Yes.

Several years ago, my son worked at a fast-casual restaurant in Chicago. He was out making a bike delivery when he was sideswiped by a hit-and-run driver. His arm was broken and he suffered a few more minor injuries. He didn't have to pay a cent. Workman's comp covered every penny of it, as well as it should have.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 12:35:12 PM »
Yes.

Several years ago, my son worked at a fast-casual restaurant in Chicago. He was out making a bike delivery when he was sideswiped by a hit-and-run driver. His arm was broken and he suffered a few more minor injuries. He didn't have to pay a cent. Workman's comp covered every penny of it, as well as it should have.

Under the new proposal, someone in the same situation would only receive these benefits if he was 35 or younger.

I think the chances are slim of it actually passing in a state like Illinois, but I would expect to see something similar attempted elsewhere.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 02:45:20 PM »
Wow.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 03:13:41 PM »
Under the new proposal, someone in the same situation would only receive these benefits if he was 35 or younger.

I think the chances are slim of it actually passing in a state like Illinois, but I would expect to see something similar attempted elsewhere.

I have zero knowledge of this bill, what possible rationale could there be for denying worker's comp to someone 35 or older
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 04:55:57 PM »
I have zero knowledge of this bill, what possible rationale could there be for denying worker's comp to someone 35 or older

Admittedly I know very little about this bill, but from what I understand things are being mis-stated to some extent here.

It is not denying worker's comp to someone 35 years or older. 

It is in specifying that athletes do not compete their entire life, they retire far earlier (aka 35).  The law is to adjust how long someone is entitled to an work-injury offset in income differential.  It is designed to adjust the duration to reflect the typical age of retirement e.g. 35, for athletes. 

As it stands now, athletes are entitled to the work-injury offset until they are 67, even though they would never have been able to work as an athlete at the same salary until that age. 

The motive of the law makes sense, but the questions are how things are worded, what are the overall impact of the law and are there situations where many would be unfairly impacted by this law.  None of those are areas I an address.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 05:07:47 PM »
Admittedly I know very little about this bill, but from what I understand things are being mis-stated to some extent here.

It is not denying worker's comp to someone 35 years or older. 

It is in specifying that athletes do not compete their entire life, they retire far earlier (aka 35).  The law is to adjust how long someone is entitled to an work-injury offset in income differential.  It is designed to adjust the duration to reflect the typical age of retirement e.g. 35, for athletes. 

As it stands now, athletes are entitled to the work-injury offset until they are 67, even though they would never have been able to work as an athlete at the same salary until that age. 

The motive of the law makes sense, but the questions are how things are worded, what are the overall impact of the law and are there situations where many would be unfairly impacted by this law.  None of those are areas I an address.

So it sounds to me like this bill only covers the wage replacement aspect of workers' comp, not the payment of medical expenses.  That makes a big difference.
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2017, 05:56:02 PM »
Yes.

He wouldn't be covered by workman's comp. There is no such thing. Just like French  benefits.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2017, 06:03:18 PM »
He wouldn't be covered by workman's comp. There is no such thing. Just like French  benefits.

Of course he would be covered by workman's comp.  They have special worklady's comp for the girls.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »
i think ya'll missing the point here-if illinois adopts this change in the law or whatever they are proposing, it puts illinois' professional teams at a competitive disadvantage.  if you are an athlete, regardless of what the law may or may not say, why would you consider going there when there are 30-32 other options.  not very good from a PR standpoint

feedback