Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Reinhart Question  (Read 7896 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Reinhart Question
« on: January 28, 2017, 07:31:53 PM »
Does the guy ever pass?  When he put his head down, my impression is that's it ... he's taking the shot no matter what.  You agree?

He took the last shot today (Prov loss).  I'm OK with that but when he started that move, why didn't EVERYONE else on the team crash the boards?  Did they think he was passing out of that move?  They should know him well enough to know it not getting kicked-out.  Specifically I'm thinking of Sam standing around 10 to 12 feet from the basket.

Standing around waiting for the kick-out from Reinhart means you're out of the play.  So either crash the boards or go sit on the bench.

Thoughts?

GGGG

• All American
Re: Reinhart Question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 07:35:13 PM »
Spread the floor and run an isolation.  A play as old as basketball itself. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 07:40:10 PM »
Spread the floor and run an isolation.  A play as old as basketball itself.

I get that, but with six seconds left at the inbound and Reinhart goes into that move with 3 seconds left, and he does not pass out ... crash the boards.  No worry about a rebound a fast break the other way.

After Reinhart missed I thought we had time for a for a o-rebound and put but back not enough MU jerseys to do that.  Sam was not in position.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 08:06:15 PM »
Considering Reinhardt has the second highest assist rate on the team in conference play, I'm going to say yes, he does pass. He passed up an open three to pass earlier in the game, I think if he felt someone had a better look, he'd have passed. On the first play, it looked like Cheatham was open, but that play easily could have been a foul and if not for a great block, he probably makes the lay-up. I have to rewatch the second, but I think the problem there was more scripting the play for Reinhardt, who it was pretty clear was going to take the shot. He should've been a decoy the second time.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 08:12:35 PM »
Considering Reinhardt has the second highest assist rate on the team in conference play, I'm going to say yes, he does pass. He passed up an open three to pass earlier in the game, I think if he felt someone had a better look, he'd have passed. On the first play, it looked like Cheatham was open, but that play easily could have been a foul and if not for a great block, he probably makes the lay-up. I have to rewatch the second, but I think the problem there was more scripting the play for Reinhardt, who it was pretty clear was going to take the shot. He should've been a decoy the second time.

Yes he passes, so let me restate ... at the point when he puts his head down to make a move, he is taking the shot.  When others put their head down, I get the impression they are still looking for a kick-out.

Again, on the last play, when he started that move, everyone else should have known the shot was going up and crashed the boards.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 10:06:52 PM »
Yes he passes, so let me restate ... at the point when he puts his head down to make a move, he is taking the shot.  When others put their head down, I get the impression they are still looking for a kick-out.

Again, on the last play, when he started that move, everyone else should have known the shot was going up and crashed the boards.

This isn't true either. I don't have specific stats but there were times during the Creighton and Nova game that he kicked out to an open shooter.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 10:56:13 PM »
Nova 68 Mu 62.
Reinhardt at top puts his head down with 05 seconds left on shot clock in isso. Leans in to drive.
Kicks to Hauser on the left.

Hauser hits 3. BC erupts.

Weak leading question without paying attention to games.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 11:22:00 PM »
Rinehardt least of our problems and ive said that since the tme that everyone else wanted to get rid of him
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 05:37:33 AM »
The exception proves the rule.
There us a new expression out there, the affermative slight, it might apply here.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 07:06:23 AM »
This is not a criticism of Reinhart as I said I was ok with the shot.  Lots of players are like this, the most famous being MJ.  Nothing wrong with his style, just need to recognize what it is.

Rather I'm asking about his teammates, when he went into his move,and you knew the shot was going was going up, why didn't they crash the boards.  I'm specifically thinking of Sam.  The time to make space via isolation was over.  No worry about a rebound and a break the other way. Why stand their 10 feet from the basket and get their too late?

Not saying that would have won the game.  But needed to have a plan for a miss.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 09:01:57 AM »
Who is "Reinhart"?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 08:26:54 PM »
Because you don't 'know'. You never 'know' for sure.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 08:33:34 PM »
He actually passed an open 3 during the 1st half.  I thought the 1st play was good...going to the hole.  When we didn't get a whistle I thought they may try to give Rowsey a look from 3.  I know they didn't get the mismatch they wanted but it didn't seem they had a Plan B

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 08:52:13 PM »
Nova 68 Mu 62.
Reinhardt at top puts his head down with 05 seconds left on shot clock in isso. Leans in to drive.
Kicks to Hauser on the left.

Hauser hits 3. BC erupts.

Weak leading question without paying attention to games.

Yep.  One of the biggest plays of the game was a Reinhardt pass after he had put his head down....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 09:30:43 PM »
Does the guy ever pass?

Yes.

Next question.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 10:28:30 PM »
I think we should bring back the "Automatic" chant for when Katin is at the freethrow line

fjm

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 11:32:11 PM »
I think we should bring back the "Automatic" chant for when Katin is at the freethrow line

And rowsey.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 07:08:13 AM »

Why? Just bc he's the third best FT shooter on the team??
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 07:33:05 AM »
Who is "Reinhart"?
When you are a better journalist that Matt V. you don't need to know how to correctly spell the name of the subject of your OP.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:24:08 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 07:47:41 AM »
Yes, clickbait, he does.   
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/269/marquette-golden-eagles

Actually averaging 3.2 assists in conference. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:51:07 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ski44

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 11:42:59 AM »
I have a problem with the play call to begin with. Reinhart hit his head on the floor, possibly was concussed, then Wojo goes and presumably calls the next play for him after he clearly was shaking off the cobwebs.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 11:59:31 AM »
The problem is that it is difficult to run motion and get a good shot in 6 seconds.    It is going to have to be a catch, a couple of dribbles, a drive and either a shot or one pass early for a shot.     If Wojo had said at 15 seconds, run motion until we get a match up we like, OK.   Tough to do in a tight window.    So, I don't really have a problem with the last shot.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 12:02:09 PM »
The problem is that it is difficult to run motion and get a good shot in 6 seconds.    It is going to have to be a catch, a couple of dribbles, a drive and either a shot or one pass early for a shot.     If Wojo had said at 15 seconds, run motion until we get a match up we like, OK.   Tough to do in a tight window.    So, I don't really have a problem with the last shot.
Yep. As Wojo said in the post-game show with Homer, he wanted a drive to the basket.  The only problem I had is that no MU players were in position to get a tip-in (see Nova-VA yesterday).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 12:07:51 PM »
Put another way, were Blue's two game winners good shots or bad shots?    Would they have been good shots if he had missed?   Was anyone calling for him to give the ball up on either drive.      Similar situations.    Remember when Jamil gave the ball back to Derrick rather than attack the basket himself or shoot an 18 ft jumper?    Was that a good decision?    No, in a short time frame, it is better to give the ball to the guy you want to attack the basket.   AND, if a foul had been called on KR's first drive, and there could have been,  we would all be hailing Wojo as a genius.     A fine line.    I have no complaints about the last play.   

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 12:19:41 PM »
Yep again. There's not a coach in the country that is going to have the primary option with 6 seconds left and down 1 be a three. This was really the only guaranteed successful situation to put yourself in. He got the ball 1 on 1 with the entire side to himself with 6 seconds to play. He's probably played that situation a million times in 1 on 1. Anything with a pass could have been blown up and led to something more ugly.  I think Duane was the only other option going to the hoop that he's going to trust, but KR earned the call with his play against Nova. JJJ is too sloppy one on one, Rowsey would have had to pull up and hope for the defender to bite. I don't like KR as much with the mindset of having to get to the rim as he's better working for a step-back/pull-up, but you hope for the best there.

The play before had HC in the corner as a non-factor which allowed his defender to sag and caused KR to pick up his dribble one step too early. KR had his guy on his hip, one more dribble and he could have gone up or under much stronger. Rowsey or Howard there would have kept them honest.

Tip-in seemed to be more of an effort issue than scheme. They didn't really make it difficult for anyone boxing them out.

feedback