Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Questions For Those Who Watched On TV  (Read 4812 times)

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
Re: Questions For Those Who Watched On TV
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2017, 03:54:56 PM »
I hope our guys continue to box out like that going forward. We aren't going to be outjumping teams or simply be taller than teams. Need to clear guys out to get the rebound. I hope Wojo is on film applauding them.

It will repeatedly be called a foul.  Boxing out with your butt is one thing.  But you can't continue to move back into the guy behind you when he is in the air.  It is a very easy foul call.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2017, 04:03:42 PM »

It will repeatedly be called a foul.  Boxing out with your butt is one thing.  But you can't continue to move back into the guy behind you when he is in the air.  It is a very easy foul call.

exactly...which is why every coach teaches the person boxing out to release.  i have seen coaches teach smaller guards to hold their box-out and not release/jump if they get caught boxing out a much taller player.  this was before the rule change, and i'm sure MU coaches have made the players aware of that...but old habits die hard. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2017, 04:10:01 PM »
It is a foul now.   The problem is that you are allowed to get your butt into a player and hold them there, but once they jump you can no longer back them out.    In the first half, Luke had a box out and the rebound came down and bounced between his legs.    A legal box out because the player behind him was not in the air.    Howard, Rowsey, and JjJ got called for maintaining contact when the player jumped.    At that point, it became undercutting.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2017, 04:10:28 PM »
If you can't move into a player or it's a foul then every single time a shot goes up there should be a foul called.  There's going to be contact on every single shot, including free throw shots and shots that go in.  People jostle for rebounding position, people box out.  That's just what you do.

This was the first game I can remember a foul being called.  I highly doubt this was just some scouting report adjustment Wojo made for Villanova.  My guess is, given our lack of height, Wojo has been training our guards to box out, hold your box if you have a bigger guy going for a rebound on you, and go get the rebound if nobody is near you.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2017, 04:21:07 PM »

I do so appreciate the combination of "boxing" and "butt" in a single sentence.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2017, 04:23:59 PM »
WHO CARES, WE WON.  ON WARRIORS

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2017, 09:36:11 PM »
I'm with Wades. I believe everyone when they say its a foul. But I have watched a lot of basketball this year and this game is the first time I remember seeing those called.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2017, 10:34:24 PM »
I'm with Wades. I believe everyone when they say its a foul. But I have watched a lot of basketball this year and this game is the first time I remember seeing those called.

I think you are right--even if it is technically foul, it is rarely called.  And, to Wades point, I don't have a problem with Wojo coaching them in general to do this, because most refs aren't going to call it.

That said, Wojo should use this game to teach them that while they may get away with that in 9/10 games, some refs might focus in on it, and you have to tweak your play to match what the refs are going to do.  If you get called once, ok.  Twice, really need to try something different.  Three times?  C'mon man.