Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Time for Fischer and Johnson to graduate  (Read 6611 times)

Oregon Warrior

• Scholarship Player
Time for Fischer and Johnson to graduate
« on: January 07, 2017, 10:51:40 PM »
Fischer is one of the softest centers I have ever seen. No toughness or emotion. Always disappears in Big East play. If he's going to offer zero on the offensive end, we might as well play Heldt. At least he shows some emotion out there.
Johnson is incredibly athletic yet one of the least intelligent MU players in recent memory. Maybe THE least intelligent. It's time for both to move on. We will be better off when they do.
Worst senior leadership I have ever seen.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Time for Fischer and Johnson to graduate
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 10:59:02 PM »
No offense but that's a worthless, ignorant post.

Oregon Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 11:00:34 PM »
None taken but what's ignorant about it?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 11:46:30 PM »
Nothing their mothers would want to hear but truly spot on and nothing ignorant about it.
Fischer n johnson could start for us and depaul n no other BE teams.
They are really bad.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 07:06:29 AM »
I don't think Fish's problem is lack of effort. He is what he is and what he is is just not aggressive. He has also had some physical problems and is likely not as strong as your typical BE center.

Jajuan is also what he is. He's going to be in my top tier of MU disappointments not because he didn't stay four years and have a decent, middling career, but because he just didn't develop even after losing the ugly shot.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 07:51:53 AM »
Yep. Plenty of bitching by some on this board that we suck because of  of the lonesome cowboys leftovers. Even though 6 of the 8 guys playing now are wojo's guys who are part of the ass kicking we took. And the Cowboys leftovers are two of our leading scorers.
Face it, Wojo can recruit, but his in game coaching is less than buzz or Crean
What has become more and more obvious is that when new BEAST was formed, there was plenty of concern about Butler and Creighton coming in because they were mid majors. Those mid majors are doing a hell of a lot better than our powerhouse that has more resources and budget than those two.
Hopefully the Duke flash can improve the program, but we are already in year 3 and the light is about the same. Oh well, we can all wish for hope and change that Al 2 will be walking through the door some day.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 08:15:09 AM »
Fisher had a terrible game on offense and defense.  JJ was outplayed for most of the game.  The big question that continually comes up is why our players don"t improve like the rodents do.  Our players look good the first year and look awful in their final year.  Are our coaches too busy recruiting instead of coaching and teaching?  Case in point, Villanova's coach was busy teaching throughout the game.  Our coach blurts out three word phrases.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 08:56:53 AM »
Well, this thread is a Doody.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 09:01:34 AM »
Fisher had a terrible game on offense and defense.  JJ was outplayed for most of the game.  The big question that continually comes up is why our players don"t improve like the rodents do.  Our players look good the first year and look awful in their final year. 

Absolutely false.   

JJJ's stats.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jajuan-johnson-2.html

Luke's stats

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/luke-fischer-1.html

Both have gotten better across the board since they have come to Marquette.  What changes is your expectations of their performance.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 09:05:41 AM by Dr. Vinnie Boombatz »

Nostradamus

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 09:17:16 AM »
Some real idiocy here.  Did Luke have a bad game last night, and struggle against Seton Hall?  Yes.  Did JJJ have a terrible game against Seton Hall, and struggle with fouls last night?  Yes.  It happens.

Yet to suggest this team is better off without these two is IGNORANT. 

Who cares if JJJ and Fischer have the best +/- on the team?  Who cares if they have the top two PER ratings?  Who cares if they are highest on team in Value Add?  We would have been SO much better if Heldt, or hell, Sandy Cohen or Duane were playing in their place, right?  Ridiculous.  While we are playing the blame game, what about Cheatham?  All of 13 points on 3 of 19 shooting while playing more minutes than any player - 97 minutes over 3 games Big East games.

We saw the impact of JJJ being off the floor in the first half with foul trouble - we are a sieve defensively with JJJ out of the game.  JJJ's D-Rating is Number 1 on the team and it isn't even close.  Problem for some of the ignorants around here:  They can only evaluate on ball defense as how impactful a defender is - on occasion freelance, passing-lane playing, defenders will get beat off the dribble.  JJJ is NUMBER 8 in all of college basketball in Steal Percentage - that is elite. 

Was a rough game last night - Nova shot the lights out, Nova got a ton of touch fouls called in their favor, and they are the Number 1 team in the country coming off a loss.  Perfect storm hit MU last night.  Let's hope Wojo can keep the kids spirits lifted and not discouraged after the heart break in Seton Hall and last night's blowout.  This team can still do good things.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:01:04 AM by Nostradamus »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 09:23:04 AM »
One other thing.

One of the reasons UW players improve is because they have a system and players know their role.  There is a consistency about their program and the types of players they recruit.  I am confident that Wojo would have never looked at JJJ out of high school.  Luke?  Probably because he is local (like Heldt) but I think he wants more mobility.

You don't need to look any further than Jay Wright to see how a coach needs this time to build a team.  Running Wojo out now would just cause more chaos and set the clock back further.  You want what Villanova has?  Then be patient.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 09:55:58 AM »
Really the worst senior leadership? Juan and Derrick say hello. Not to mention I recal a team with a 7th year senior, two 5th year seniors and regular senior not even making the NIT a few years back.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 10:02:42 AM »
One other thing.

One of the reasons UW players improve is because they have a system and players know their role.  There is a consistency about their program and the types of players they recruit.  I am confident that Wojo would have never looked at JJJ out of high school.  Luke?  Probably because he is local (like Heldt) but I think he wants more mobility.

You don't need to look any further than Jay Wright to see how a coach needs this time to build a team.  Running Wojo out now would just cause more chaos and set the clock back further.  You want what Villanova has?  Then be patient.

Really?

Being patient will bring you a number one ranking and a national championship?

So if MU remains unable to play defense the rest of this year and next, just be patient?

I'm not saying Wojo should be fired, but it's time to look seriously at whether the guy can actually coach.  Not just recruit, but good old X's and O's teaching, in-game adjustments, etc.

Nostradamus

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 10:08:22 AM »
Really the worst senior leadership? Juan and Derrick say hello. Not to mention I recal a team with a 7th year senior, two 5th year seniors and regular senior not even making the NIT a few years back.

Are you not aware that it is blasphemy to call into question the merits of the "senior leadership" of Derrick Wilson and Juan Anderson, by the resident "experts" here?

"Senior Leadership" is the Meme of Meme's around here.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 10:14:25 AM »
Really?

So if MU remains unable to play defense the rest of this year and next, just be patient?

I'm not saying Wojo should be fired, but it's time to look seriously at whether the guy can actually coach.  Not just recruit, but good old X's and O's teaching, in-game adjustments, etc.

I never said it would bring you a championship, but it will bring you a stable program in the long-run.

And he can coach.  He's better than he was in previous years, but not at the level we want him to be yet.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 10:21:39 AM »
Really?

Yes. Really. It took Jay Wright 4 years to get to the tournament. It took him 15 years to win a national championship. He's now in his 16th year. Building a dynasty, building a program like Villanova's takes time. I'm sick and tired of all the pathetic bitching on here. This fanbase is a bunch of entitled babies that thinks becoming a perennial top-10 team happens overnight. There is only one team in the top-10 with a coach that has less than 7 years of experience at his current job, and that's fourth-year coach Steve Alford, who is also in his 22nd year as a Division I coach with 9 previous NCAA appearances.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 10:24:23 AM »
Really?

I am not sure coaching is the real issue here. Watching the game yesterday, Nova just has better players. They are Top 5 for a reason. We are overmatched against them. Right now MU has two two solid starters, Howard and Hauser. We have little if any inside game. Luke needs to do better than 4 points being the biggest guy on the floor. I do not think anyone expected HC to regress as much as he has. DW is hurt, Carter left. Reinhardt is the only guy coming off the bench who seems to be able to get it going. Rowsey can light up once in a while, but he was defended very well last night and struggled. Nova is just a bad matchup for us.  I do think we can rebound this week against SH and get back to .500 in BE play. Two very winnable home games this week that MU needs to get.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 10:32:04 AM »
Yes. Really. It took Jay Wright 4 years to get to the tournament. It took him 15 years to win a national championship. He's now in his 16th year. Building a dynasty, building a program like Villanova's takes time. I'm sick and tired of all the pathetic bitching on here. This fanbase is a bunch of entitled babies that thinks becoming a perennial top-10 team happens overnight. There is only one team in the top-10 with a coach that has less than 7 years of experience at his current job, and that's fourth-year coach Steve Alford, who is also in his 22nd year as a Division I coach with 9 previous NCAA appearances.
How dare you bring up Alford? All the experts here know the guy is a loser and jerk. However, the guy is absolutely a good coach that can produce results. He knows basketball.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 10:35:19 AM »
How dare you bring up Alford? All the experts here know the guy is a loser and jerk. However, the guy is absolutely a good coach that can produce results. He knows basketball.

He may be a decent coach but he's a terrible human being.  I will take a million Creans and Buzzes before I take one Alford.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 10:35:48 AM »

I've never been a fan of his, but he's done well there with that brand. They're playing an attractive style of ball, recruiting well, and look to be headed back to the upper echelon if they keep it up. Considering how many people (myself included) were ready to write them off as the next fallen dynasty like Indiana when they fell off under Howland, he's been a revelation.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 11:18:36 AM »
Are you not aware that it is blasphemy to call into question the merits of the "senior leadership" of Derrick Wilson and Juan Anderson, by the resident "experts" here?

"Senior Leadership" is the Meme of Meme's around here.

Ners?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 12:05:17 PM »
Ners?

Wouldn't that be Nerstradamus?

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 12:16:52 PM »
Odd to see people who insist that Wojo inherited a dumpster fire now defending the players that consisted of said dumpster fire.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 01:24:34 PM »

If we are going to give a guy that much time we should probably have hired someone who will stay for 15 years. I'm all for letting a guy grow if he is willing to be an MU guy for 16 years.

If wojo makes this a perennial even top 25 team what are the chances he stays and we don't have to start it all over again? 
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 01:27:11 PM »
If we are going to give a guy that much time we should probably have hired someone who will stay for 15 years. I'm all for letting a guy grow if he is willing to be an MU guy for 16 years.

If wojo makes this a perennial even top 25 team what are the chances he stays and we don't have to start it all over again? 

I think Wojo will be here awhile under those circumstances.  But even if he isn't, you hope someone from his staff would be ready to assume the top job at that point.  That's what has helped programs like Butler and Xavier.

feedback