[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A look at some Big East stats to date  (Read 3003 times)

Marcus92

• All American
A look at some Big East stats to date
« on: December 29, 2016, 01:06:50 PM »
Through 13 games, here's how Marquette stacks up against the rest of the Big East in some basic metrics:

Among The Best
• 2nd in scoring offense (85.2 ppg)
• 1st in FT percentage (81.4%)
• 3rd in 3-point FG percentage (40.5%)
• 1st in steals (9.1 spg)

Better Than Most
• 4th in scoring margin (+14.5 ppg)
• 4th in FG percentage (49.4%)
• 4th in blocked shots (3.5 bpg)
• 4th in turnover margin (+3.08)
• 4th in defensive rebound percentage (73.7%)

Uhh, Not So Good
• 8th in scoring defense (70.7 ppg)
• 10th in FG percentage defense (43.4%)
• 10th in 3-point FG percentage defense (36.8%)
• 7th in offensive rebound percentage (26.9%)

Individual Standouts
• Markus Howard, 1st in 3-point FG percentage (54.2%)
• JaJuan Johnson, 1st in steals (2.3 spg)
• Markus Howard, 1st in FT% (96.2%)
• Luke Fischer, 5th in blocked shots (1.2 bpg)
• Haanif Cheatham, 5th in A/TO ratio (2.3 A/TO)

http://www.bigeast.com/custompages/sports/m-baskbl/2016-2017/confldrs.htm
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: A look at some Big East stats to date
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 01:09:24 PM »
I think it'd be kind of amusing if JJ ended up the Big East DPOY. I don't expect it, but leading the conference in steals (if he could do so) is exactly the type of number they look at, never mind that he's not a great man defender by any stretch.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 01:14:52 PM »
I think it'd be kind of amusing if JJ ended up the Big East DPOY. I don't expect it, but leading the conference in steals (if he could do so) is exactly the type of number they look at, never mind that he's not a great man defender by any stretch.

I only remember one possession last night where JaJuan gambled big time on a steal and missed, and someone (think it was Duane) was right there to help with his man. That tells me Wojo is encouraging him to look for steals when he thinks he can get them — and an easy 2 points for the team.

That said, Georgetown is very turnover-prone. I'll be interested to see how JJJ defends against teams that truly value protecting the ball (like Butler or Creighton).

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 01:16:44 PM »

Is there a Volley Stat?  Luke was so impressive, hitting  them to perimeter teammates in the GT game.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 01:19:14 PM »
Is there a Volley Stat?  Luke was so impressive, hitting  them to perimeter teammates in the GT game.

LOL. Don't think that's an official statistic of the Big East conference.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Wojo and the coaching staff track it, though. Luke must have kept at least 4-5 possessions alive with those plays. As good as an offensive rebound.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 01:19:49 PM »
I only remember one possession last night where JaJuan gambled big time on a steal and missed, and someone (think it was Duane) was right there to help with his man. That tells me Wojo is encouraging him to look for steals when he thinks he can get them — and an easy 2 points for the team.

That said, Georgetown is very turnover-prone. I'll be interested to see how JJJ defends against teams that truly value protecting the ball (like Butler or Creighton).

Unfortunately on another one of his gambles, Gtown drained a three. But you ride the horse til it bucks you.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 02:54:37 PM »

I agree.  Probably not DPOY but could make the all defensive team,  if the BE has one.  I know looking at his on ball defense that may seem comical but he plays really good help defense... not just steals but altering and blocking shots helping other teammates.

There were five defensive plays last night that stood out to me.  The two steals for dunks of course.  The one where he actually altered Govan's shot after he got free from his defender and then the two attempted steals where Pryor drained threes because JJJ was in the backcourt after the missed steal.

Feast or famine with JJJ's defense.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 06:14:38 PM »
Homer said last night that we're #2 in the country in free throw percentage.

Woe is the team that thinks they can beat us by playing Hack-a-Warrior in the last two minutes.  We can put 4 guys on the floor that can shoot better that 82% from the stripe.
Have some patience, FFS.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 06:21:28 PM »

Woe is the team that thinks they can beat us by playing Hack-a-Warrior in the last two minutes.  We can put 4 guys on the floor that can shoot better that 82% from the stripe.

I'm perfectly content with anyone but the two bigs going to the line in crunch time.

I'd even take my chances with duane since he likes big moments
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 06:24:40 PM »

I thought I remember him gambling and missing and then his man drilling a 3.  The next possession JJJ had the amazing dunk.  I remember it because it felt like he was ticked he got beat.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 06:26:22 PM »

You missed that we are #2 in home game attendance.  Second only to a top-10 team in a town that doesn't have any real competition for entertainment dollars.
Have some patience, FFS.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 06:26:42 PM »
I thought I remember him gambling and missing and then his man drilling a 3. The next possession JJJ had the amazing dunk. I remember it because it felt like he was ticked he got beat.

JakeBarnes mentioned that play, as well. Every player gets beat. I'm glad JJJ seems to take it personally.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 06:28:11 PM »
You missed that we are #2 in home game attendance.  Second only to a top-10 team in a town that doesn't have any real competition for entertainment dollars.

Good catch.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 09:02:48 PM »

Team FT% no matta
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 09:21:51 PM »

I thought Dominic James was the best on ball defender in years, but jerel McNeal picked up the accolades because he had the steals.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 09:26:58 PM »
I think it says something that we are near the top in many of the team stats, but not so much in the individual stats. It shows that we are deep.

We also don't have any players among the top ten in minutes played.  Xavier has three.
Have some patience, FFS.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 09:27:33 PM »
For whatever it is worth, when you search "be" as conference at www.valueaddbasketball.Com and then sort by defense, the best 5 defenders in the conference are 1, baldwin (Butler), 2, bullock (Providence), 3, hart (nova), 4, bridges (nova) and then 5th is JJJ.

So that would be first team all defense big east.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

brandx

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 09:32:07 PM »
Through 13 games, here's how Marquette stacks up against the rest of the Big East in some basic metrics:

Among The Best
• 2nd in scoring offense (85.2 ppg)
• 1st in FT percentage (81.4%)
• 3rd in 3-point FG percentage (40.5%)
• 1st in steals (9.1 spg)

Better Than Most
• 4th in scoring margin (+14.5 ppg)
• 4th in FG percentage (49.4%)
• 4th in blocked shots (3.5 bpg)
• 4th in turnover margin (+3.08)
• 4th in defensive rebound percentage (73.7%)

Uhh, Not So Good
• 8th in scoring defense (70.7 ppg)
• 10th in FG percentage defense (43.4%)
• 10th in 3-point FG percentage defense (36.8%)
• 7th in offensive rebound percentage (26.9%)

Individual Standouts
• Markus Howard, 1st in 3-point FG percentage (54.2%)
• JaJuan Johnson, 1st in steals (2.3 spg)
• Markus Howard, 1st in FT% (96.2%)
• Luke Fischer, 5th in blocked shots (1.2 bpg)
• Haanif Cheatham, 5th in A/TO ratio (2.3 A/TO)

http://www.bigeast.com/custompages/sports/m-baskbl/2016-2017/confldrs.htm

Interesting, but meaningless as of now.

Be good to keep these and then give the same stats for the BE Conference games at the end of the season.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 09:41:20 PM »
Interesting, but meaningless as of now.

I'd disagree. As we begin the conference season, non-conference results are the best indicators we have of how good Marquette is as a team. Far from perfect. But still meaningful.

We'll definitely learn a lot more in the weeks to come.

brandx

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 11:02:21 PM »
I'd disagree. As we begin the conference season, non-conference results are the best indicators we have of how good Marquette is as a team. Far from perfect. But still meaningful.

We'll definitely learn a lot more in the weeks to come.

I didn't mean it as a criticism. I just think it is hard to come to meaningful conclusions when there are so many cupcakes involved.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 07:01:14 AM »
I thought Dominic James was the best on ball defender in years, but jerel McNeal picked up the accolades because he had the steals.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 06:07:31 PM »
McNeal was a good defender early in his career.  Great as a sophomore when he won BE Defensive POY.  Then his defense slipped his junior and senior year as his offensive really improved.

James got better on defense throughout his career.  By senior year he was better than McNeal.  James was very hard to score against.

The real debate is McNeal sophomore year vs James senior year: Who was better?  I'd still give the edge to Jerel.  He was so disruptive, both on the ball and off the ball.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2016, 01:15:26 AM »
Disagree i absolutely marvelled at DJs defense his junior n senior years.  He was do strong and athletic and committed he just overwhelmed his man often times on defense.  A pure joy.  Anyone that thought jerel played good D only needed to watch the villanova game
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2016, 01:57:18 AM »
Disagree i absolutely marvelled at DJs defense his junior n senior years.  He was do strong and athletic and committed he just overwhelmed his man often times on defense.  A pure joy.  Anyone that thought jerel played good D only needed to watch the villanova game
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 03:25:43 AM »
Pre-season is a learning experience for everyone, even the number crunchers.  Look at how all the mega data missed MU beats the spread, DePaul nearly beats the number one team in the country and St. Johns pulls an upset, so much for the crystal ball.  Keep your tuition money in a CD.