Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Just moved up to 35th at kenpom, ahead of buzz!  (Read 15857 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Re: Just moved up to 35th at kenpom, ahead of buzz!
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2016, 12:24:39 PM »
Bingo. Georgia game actually qualifies as a "Top 50 Adjusted" game, whereas last nights does not.

Gotcha. Thanks for the correction.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2016, 12:55:20 PM »
Tony Bennett is winning big at UVA, a school that prides itself on academics.  He's squeaky clean, comes from a great coaching family, was an outstanding college player and played in the NBA.  He's my #1 draft choice right now. 

Stevens & Donovan may never go back to college
Cal, Pitino & Roy don't fit for various reasons

The only others who make sense are Self & Jay Wright.  I doubt Jay will leave Nova now and feel somewhat the same about Self.  Plus Tony is only 47; 7 years younger than Self, 8 years younger than Wright. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 12:59:34 PM »
If I'm Duke I'm hiring Tony Bennett and no one else.  Before Tony I thought their ideal candidate was Billy Donovan.

If they stick in the tree, they're asking for trouble.

The last buzz ( 3 Months ago) on their Board was looking for Brad Stevens
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2016, 01:02:38 PM »
Tony Bennett is winning big at UVA, a school that prides itself on academics.  He's squeaky clean, comes from a great coaching family, was an outstanding college player and played in the NBA.  He's my #1 draft choice right now. 

Stevens & Donovan may never go back to college
Cal, Pitino & Roy don't fit for various reasons

The only others who make sense are Self & Jay Wright.  I doubt Jay will leave Nova now and feel somewhat the same about Self.  Plus Tony is only 47; 7 years younger than Self, 8 years younger than Wright.
Sean Miller would be another name.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2016, 01:07:32 PM »
The last buzz ( 3 Months ago) on their Board was looking for Brad Stevens

I'd be surprised. I don't think Stevens was ever enamored with the recruiting process and is a much better fit in the pros than in college.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2016, 01:11:14 PM »
I'd be surprised. I don't think Stevens was ever enamored with the recruiting process and is a much better fit in the pros than in college.

All good points.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2016, 01:35:03 PM »
How many college coaches out there are more "established" than Tony Bennett?  Not many, and those that are aren't leaving for Duke (Rick, Self, Roy, Cal).  Jay Wright is the most interesting name, with Miller being the second.  Not sure Miller would leave Arizona.  Duke may be the only job Wright would leave Nova for, but even that...

Stevens?  No way he leaves the NBA to bow down to 16 year old kids again.  Doubt Donovan would be interested either, though he's a lot more likely than Stevens.

How often do college coaches go from one very successful program to another very successful program within the same conference?  I can't think of many times it's happened.

Are there any college coaches with connections to coach K through USA basketball?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2016, 02:04:21 PM »
How many college coaches out there are more "established" than Tony Bennett?  Not many, and those that are aren't leaving for Duke (Rick, Self, Roy, Cal).  Jay Wright is the most interesting name, with Miller being the second.  Not sure Miller would leave Arizona.  Duke may be the only job Wright would leave Nova for, but even that...

Stevens?  No way he leaves the NBA to bow down to 16 year old kids again.  Doubt Donovan would be interested either, though he's a lot more likely than Stevens.

How often do college coaches go from one very successful program to another very successful program within the same conference?  I can't think of many times it's happened.

Are there any college coaches with connections to coach K through USA basketball?

By established, I meant successful. And there are obviously plenty of coaches more successful than Bennett, the question of whether or not they take the job wasn't posed by the original poster.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2016, 02:04:23 PM »
As far as established coaches, I agree that Tony Bennett, Jay Wright, and Sean Miller would be the most viable candidates for the job.

Looking further down the scales, I suppose I could see Chris Mack, Chris Collins, or maybe Dana Altman getting some consideration.

The dark horse in my opinion would be Bill Self. Kansas is a great program, but might be a step behind Duke/UNC/UK in terms of coaching perceptions. He can recruit and already has a NC, and his name has been floated in the past (Oklahoma State, his alma mater). He might be willing to part ways with the Jayhawks for the right opportunity.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2016, 02:10:43 PM »
By established, I meant successful. And there are obviously plenty of coaches more successful than Bennett, the question of whether or not they take the job wasn't posed by the original poster.

I guess it depends on what someone considers as "success" for a high major head D1 men's basketball coach.  Is someone who caught lightning in a bottle and made a miracle FF run with a mid major but never made it past the 2nd round or won their mid major conference more successful than a guy who has won the top conference in the country multiple times and has multiple top 2 seeds but has lost in the E8 a couple times?

I guess I just question that there are that many more successful college coaches out there.  Bennett has been incredibly successful at UVA.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 02:20:12 PM »
I guess it depends on what someone considers as "success" for a high major head D1 men's basketball coach.  Is someone who caught lightning in a bottle and made a miracle FF run with a mid major but never made it past the 2nd round or won their mid major conference more successful than a guy who has won the top conference in the country multiple times and has multiple top 2 seeds but has lost in the E8 a couple times?

I guess I just question that there are that many more successful college coaches out there.  Bennett has been incredibly successful at UVA.
Ultimately what I'm trying to say is that if I'm Duke, Bennett is not at the top of my list.  He would be a nice hire, but for me I would be calling Stevens, Donovan, Wright, Miller, and maybe a couple others before him.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2016, 02:22:07 PM »
Would it make sense for Bennett to leave Virginia to go to Duke? He has been very successful at Virginia. I think Virginia would be even more successful if Duke fell down slightly with Coach K's retirement. It also would not surprise me if Roy Williams retired before Coach K. Both Duke and North Carolina could end up being less successful than Virginia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2016, 02:25:50 PM »
Is there anyone in the DLeague or Oversees or a Canadian college coach they'd look at? Feel free to laugh but I'm just trying to think outside the box here.
Maigh Eo for Sam

murphmurphy

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2016, 02:52:10 PM »
Simple answer for Duke, BUZZ!  It was probably his plan all along.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2016, 02:58:11 PM »
The Georgetown win is now our best win of the season, according to KenPom. The same would be true if we beat Seton Hall on the road.
I'd respectfully disagree on best win. I know what you mean, they were the highest ranked team we beat, but I believe it's only our third best win on kenpom when accounting for where games were played.

1. Georgia we were 1 point underdog on the road and it was a 10 point upset win. (I am going to Auburn-UGA tonight hoping UGA pulls off a road win to make that even better)

2. Vandy we were only 47th, but on a neutral court we were just a 3 point favorite and won by 24.

3. Georgetown at home we were a 6-point favorite, so the 10-point win was nice and we controlled most of the game well, but would still put it as our third best win so far.

http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2016, 03:05:40 PM »
Would it make sense for Bennett to leave Virginia to go to Duke? He has been very successful at Virginia. I think Virginia would be even more successful if Duke fell down slightly with Coach K's retirement. It also would not surprise me if Roy Williams retired before Coach K. Both Duke and North Carolina could end up being less successful than Virginia.

Duke's commitment to basketball is 2nd to none.  It would be a coach's dream.  Coach K has his own satellite radio show.  Coach K had the AMEX deal.  Duke affords coaches a lot more opportunities that other schools can't or won't match.  And with a hire like Bennett, they could keep those rolling.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2016, 03:28:08 PM »
I'd respectfully disagree on best win. I know what you mean, they were the highest ranked team we beat, but I believe it's only our third best win on kenpom when accounting for where games were played.

1. Georgia we were 1 point underdog on the road and it was a 10 point upset win. (I am going to Auburn-UGA tonight hoping UGA pulls off a road win to make that even better)

2. Vandy we were only 47th, but on a neutral court we were just a 3 point favorite and won by 24.

3. Georgetown at home we were a 6-point favorite, so the 10-point win was nice and we controlled most of the game well, but would still put it as our third best win so far.

Yeah, JayBee already corrected me on that one. Still, a good win to start the conference schedule. Now let's get one on the road against Seton Hall.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2016, 03:31:52 PM »
oops, sorry for repeating JayBee, but yes a nice win. hopefully the UGA win gets even better if they can upset Auburn tonight
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2016, 03:35:33 PM »
Do you know how difficult it is going to be for Duke to hire someone outside the Duke family?  If it doesn't work, the athletic director will be run out of town and the coach is going to have an incredibly short leash.

They will give it to some Coach K protege...and if that doesn't work out, THEN they will give it to an outsider.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2016, 03:41:58 PM »
I think they will follow what K wants.. be it someone from the family or not. 

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2016, 03:55:18 PM »
After John Wooden's 10 national titles, UCLA fans witnessed a succession of 5 head coaches in 13 seasons (and zero titles).

After Dean Smith's 3 national titles, North Carolina went through Bill Guthridge, Matt Doherty and 11 years without a title before Roy Williams won his first.

After Bobby Knight's 3 national titles, Indiana discarded 3 head coaches in 9 seasons (Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson and Dan Dakich) before hiring Crean. No national title since 1987.

The record isn't good for schools looking to replace a coaching legend. If history is any guide, the Duke men's basketball program is in for some rough years after Coach K retires.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2016, 08:47:34 PM »
The best succession success stories in college basketball are probably Tom Izzo (an assistant to Jud Heathcoate at Michigan State) and Rick Pitino (picked up off the NBA scrap heap to follow Denny Crum at Louisville).

You could conceivably add a couple others. Tubby Smith won a national title with Pitino's recruits at Kentucky. And Kevin Ollie did the same at UConn after Jim Calhoun retired. But Tubby never made another Final Four and eventually resigned. The jury's still out on Ollie, whose team is off to a 5-7 start this season.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2016, 09:05:10 PM »
Gene Bartow did a decent job following up John Wooden at UCLA.  He was a "hot" coach, hired away from Illinois after earlier leading Memphis to the Final Four.  In two years he went 52-9, won two conference titles and one final four.  However he wasn't a Wooden guy, had trouble dealing with the boosters, and left to be replaced by a former Wooden assistant Gary Cunningham. 

Probably a great example of why its hard to replace a legend.

OTOH, I was just watching the Belk Bowl and they were talking about Justin Fuente replacing Frank Beamer as the Virginia Tech head coach and how well that is going.  Part of that is because the "in house" candidate, defensive coordinator Bud Foster, isn't a big ego guy and was retained by Fuente.

So it *can* work under the right circumstances. 

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2016, 09:19:03 PM »
After John Wooden's 10 national titles, UCLA fans witnessed a succession of 5 head coaches in 13 seasons (and zero titles).

After Dean Smith's 3 national titles, North Carolina went through Bill Guthridge, Matt Doherty and 11 years without a title before Roy Williams won his first.

After Bobby Knight's 3 national titles, Indiana discarded 3 head coaches in 9 seasons (Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson and Dan Dakich) before hiring Crean. No national title since 1987.

The record isn't good for schools looking to replace a coaching legend. If history is any guide, the Duke men's basketball program is in for some rough years after Coach K retires.

Exactly! You can't be the coach after the legend.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2016, 09:28:33 PM »
Exactly! You can't be the coach after the legend.

Gotta give Tim Duryea his five years before you make that statement.

feedback