Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Defense  (Read 10545 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Marquette Defense
« on: December 11, 2016, 09:23:42 AM »
The Wisconsin game was a Top 10 defensive efficiency stinker over the past sixteen seasons.  Worse than the Kansas Final 4 game. 

JayBee brought this up earlier this season:  Marquette's 2FG defense.  I looked back at MU's last eight games versus Top 60 teams and saw a same pattern as we saw yesterday versus Wisky:  High opponent 2FG%.  Over those eight games, opponents shot 185-297 or 62.2%.  MU is 2-6 in those games.  After half time adjustments, even Fresno figured out the weakness of this defense where they shot 65% on twos in the 2nd half.

A good defense builds from the baseline out.  Wojo's builds from the perimeter in.  This flaw is a pattern, fix it please.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Marquette Defense
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 10:52:45 AM »
It's not like they aren't trying. Washington or Nichols would've looked great on this roster but neither worked out. We have bigs coming next year, but it won't happen overnight.

I still think the biggest question is why they saw Reinhardt as a fit. Next year's class looks like lesson learned, but Reinhardt's addition makes you wonder if it really is.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 11:53:04 AM »
It's not like they aren't trying. Washington or Nichols would've looked great on this roster but neither worked out. We have bigs coming next year, but it won't happen overnight.

I still think the biggest question is why they saw Reinhardt as a fit. Next year's class looks like lesson learned, but Reinhardt's addition makes you wonder if it really is.
I do not think they saw it as a fit, but an opportunity to take a very good player that was dropping into their lap.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 12:23:14 PM »

Maybe they thought someone was leaving?  Otherwise its questionable where the fit was.

A good defense builds from the baseline out.  Wojo's builds from the perimeter in.  This flaw is a pattern, fix it please.

This. 

Additionally many of the errors in D are coachable - Time to hire a consultant if we dont have the staff at the end of the bench to ID the issues and correct the players.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 12:46:00 PM »

Yet they had HE last year and it was the same issue.  Wojo is a system guy, and he doesn't have the players to play his defensive system (yet).  So, at some point, you need to adjust until you do as the eight game streak vs. Top 60 teams shows. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 12:48:24 PM »
You never, ever give up the baseline. Period. 

Back in the day, if you did, you ran laps till you puked. 

Never, ever.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 02:10:20 PM »

Never, ever.
Yo, Chili sooo true.But, could you dunk?
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 02:12:09 PM »
Marquette efense.  No d.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 02:24:48 PM »
Marquette efense.  No d.
Like Avante?
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 02:33:08 PM »
And Eonte
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 03:21:13 PM »
I do not think they saw it as a fit, but an opportunity to take a very good player that was dropping into their lap.

Honestly I think this is it. We had two scholarships to fill and Reinhardt was a very good player at USC. I think you take the good player when you can get him. I still think his offensive rating progresses towards the mean this season. Not sure about his defense. He looks like a good defender to me but he has the third worst defensive rating on the team.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 03:28:54 PM »
Honestly I think this is it. We had two scholarships to fill and Reinhardt was a very good player at USC. I think you take the good player when you can get him. I still think his offensive rating progresses towards the mean this season. Not sure about his defense. He looks like a good defender to me but he has the third worst defensive rating on the team.

He's an average defender but is forced to spend a fair amount of time guarding bigger guys...which turns him into a below average defender.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 03:29:49 PM »

Never, ever.

Damn straight and then, after you puked, you ran again and again and again.

Then you had Al busting your chops. Sometimes literally

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 03:36:40 PM »
Yo, Chili sooo true.But, could you dunk?

It's well documented.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »

Never, ever.
That is the "old school" way. They now teach (more often than not) to funnel to baseline and rotate over with help rather than give up middle. Our big guys don't rotate quickly enough and when they do, the others with their help as well. Teams that pass well and share end of killing you.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 03:52:07 PM »
That is the "old school" way. They now teach (more often than not) to funnel to baseline and rotate over with help rather than give up middle. Our big guys don't rotate quickly enough and when they do, the others with their help as well. Teams that pass well and share end of killing you.

Close out the baseline, help in the middle.

And follow your shot too.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 03:55:34 PM »
Oh, and while I'm at it, box out...that's why God gave you an a$$.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 04:02:22 PM »
I know there are a lot of contributing factors, but if you could pick and only one as the main reason this defense sucks, what would you pick?

-Talent issue
-Staff can't coach defense
-Defensive system sucks
-Players can't figure it out
-Mystery other

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 04:06:29 PM »
Yet they had HE last year and it was the same issue.  Wojo is a system guy, and he doesn't have the players to play his defensive system (yet).  So, at some point, you need to adjust until you do as the eight game streak vs. Top 60 teams shows.

Next year we'll start to have those guys when we add Cain, John, and Eke. Come 2018-19 I think we'll have the players, the length, and the athleticism to play the way Wojo wants to play. I think he is sticking with his style now because he wants guys like Hauser, Howard, Cheatham, Carter, and Heldt, all of whom will be key members of that team, to be schooled in this style of play rather than just putting a band-aid on for now. I think he has a lot more comfort than Buzz ever did, which is why he can keep drilling this style that will pay off in 2-3 years rather than changing the system annually to suit the talent. I understand the logic that sticking with man will help these kids become better defenders in the future, but it does make it harder to stomach now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 05:08:03 PM »

I want to agree with this, and I'm not anti-Wojo guy, but I think we're still waiting to see what his system is. Can you describe it?

And, I like the idea of a system, but I also like the idea of a coach who adapts his defense to his players (in this case, figuring out how to deal with Fischer in the pick-and-roll) and makes more definitive in-game adjustments.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 05:22:16 PM »
I know there are a lot of contributing factors, but if you could pick and only one as the main reason this defense sucks, what would you pick?

-Talent issue
-Defensive system sucks
-Mystery other
Lack of frontcourt depth.  The guys we do have are terrified of picking up fouls so they offer token (at best) resistance. 

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2016, 05:23:54 PM »

-Talent issue
-Defensive system sucks
-Mystery other

Start a poll, bro.  Start a poll

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 05:40:39 PM »
Here is a good article that explains the Duke defense and how to break it down.

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/devils-in-the-details/

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 06:04:38 PM »

-Talent issue
-Defensive system sucks
-Mystery other

1.Size up front.
2.Lack of lateral quickness, almost across the board.
3.Scheme that fails to take these things into account. 
4. All players not on the same page.   Some stand at the foul line after being picked.   Some slide down and help in the lane.  Some follow the ball. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2016, 06:43:56 PM »
We're very good at the fun part (offense) of basketball and very bad at the work part (defense). Long on talent, short on effort.