Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Defense  (Read 10543 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Marquette Defense
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2016, 07:13:27 PM »
If we're being honest, this team is a fairly easy read. Insanely good shooting abilities; flawed roster (inside size/strength/paint & rim protection d).

If we're shooting like we can, can compete with anybody.

Unfortunately, the d is poor & the amount of open looks & more importantly uncontested or very lightly contested shots at the rim may often dictate that we must burn the nets offensively to have a chance.

74.2% = unblocked at the rim shooting for our opponents... 30% of their attempts are at the rim. Both of those improving would go along way to help our d (nh)

But, giving up interior points should be a surprise. We knew the roster was flawed coming in

Surprises: just HOW great our shooting is & out def reb (thanks JjJ, Sam, Haanif, etc for stepping up!)

Need to get hot at the right times. 11-7 is possible. 7-11 is possible. Entertainment is guaranteed

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2016, 07:14:08 PM »
Just watched the game.

Defense is severely lacking. We know this.

But I thought Katin showed something on Saturday, and I don't mean just threes (finally).

He played angry. He played physical. He played with passion.

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts over JJJ, who just can't seem to bring it defensively.
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2016, 07:27:24 PM »
Here is a good article that explains the Duke defense and how to break it down.

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/devils-in-the-details/

Thanks for the link. There are only so many ways to guard the pick and roll. In most cases, Luke isn't quick enough to switch and defend the ball handler rolling to the basket (usually a guard or small forward). That's not unusual; how many big men can guard smaller, quicker players? Wojo has a few options:

1) Luke sticks close to his man (the screener) and doesn't offer any help defending the ball handler. The on-ball defender goes under the screen and picks up the ball handler rolling to the basket. A couple risks here. Good shooters can use the screen to step back for a three or jumper. Or they can use the screen to get a quick step on the way to the basket and draw contact on the drive. Other defenders may need to help.

2) Luke can hedge right as the screen takes place, sliding out to move the ball handler away from the path to the hoop. Once the on-ball defender picks up the ball handler again, Luke can recover to his man. The risk is that Luke or the on-ball defender don't react quickly enough — a breakdown that opens all kinds of offensive options.

3) As the screener comes to set a pick, Luke can trap or double-team the ball handler with the on-ball defender. The intent is to get the offense out of rhythm. The risk is the screener cutting to the basket undefended.

There are other variants, of course. But good man-to-man defense with Luke hedging isn't a complicated concept. It shouldn't be beyond this team. I think it's more an issue of execution — recognizing the screen, communicating what's happening and who should be doing what, then hustling to get in the right position. Hopefully that's something the team can improve on. And soon.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2016, 08:39:34 PM »
It's well documented.

But a bit sketchy on the details.  For instance, did you favor the Glazed Cruller or the Chocolate Iced when dunking.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2016, 11:21:58 AM »
Man-to-man defense is simple in concept (guard your man) but is difficult to execute (go around a screen or switch).

Some of the best defense I can recall was the Amigos... those guys had this intuition about them that not only did each of them seemingly know immediately whether they were going to switch or not, their partner knew exactly what they were doing most of the time too.  That's the problem I've seen with MU's defense over the last few years... our players are not committing to/against the switch when the pick is set, and that momentary indecision is all it takes to freeze their partner and allow for an open lane (or look).  Rarely did the Amigos let someone open on a pick... sometimes the best decision was to switch into a big mismatch, but even having Dominique in Hibbert's or Harangody's face (read: crotch) was much more effective defensively than watching those guys hang on the rim.

Unfortunately, intuition cannot be taught.  But what's even more unfortunate is that the alternative - zone - requires even more intuition to be effective at the D-I level.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2016, 11:30:25 AM »
Part of this is likely a matter of emphasis. We see Wojo pull players out of the game after a turnover or a bad shot. What about sitting someone after a blown assignment or not helping soon enough? I expect a lot more emphasis on defense after the Wisconsin debacle.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2016, 11:49:09 AM »
Part of this is likely a matter of emphasis. We see Wojo pull players out of the game after a turnover or a bad shot. What about sitting someone after a blown assignment or not helping soon enough? I expect a lot more emphasis on defense after the Wisconsin debacle.

Why do you think WI is the magic inflection point?  The defensive mistakes have been the same all year. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2016, 11:53:49 AM »
Why do you think WI is the magic inflection point?  The defensive mistakes have been the same all year.

I don't know that it will be, but this is a good opportunity for it to happen. 2 games in 18 days is a lot of practice time to work on the kinks. I'd imagine defense will be the focus.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2016, 12:00:26 PM »
I don't know that it will be, but this is a good opportunity for it to happen. 2 games in 18 days is a lot of practice time to work on the kinks. I'd imagine defense will be the focus.

I agree, have to try something different.  Al played man mostly, but since Bernard Toone could not play D, they played a zone against NC and won a championship.
Bernard played zone in high school and never learned how to guard a sole.  But great shooter, much like Sam.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2016, 12:09:47 PM »

Reinhardt got beat baseline pretty badly and Wojo pulled him right away. Personally, it is easier for me to see a turnover or bad shot versus blown defensive assignment. So he may be doing that and just tougher to tell.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2016, 12:29:39 PM »
Marquette's defense is like another oxymoron:

Pretty Ugly

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2016, 12:32:59 PM »
Why do you think WI is the magic inflection point? The defensive mistakes have been the same all year.

Because it wasn't just Marquette's worst defensive performance this season. As Dr. Blackheart pointed out, it was the worst in more than a decade. If that doesn't get the team's attention, I don't know what will.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2016, 12:54:57 PM »
Because it wasn't just Marquette's worst defensive performance this season. As Dr. Blackheart pointed out, it was the worst in more than a decade. If that doesn't get the team's attention, I don't know what will.

In addition, that was MU's last real test before BE play begins. MU has now played 5 games against "Power 6" schools on the season - a tourney team, a bubble team, 2 NIT teams and a bad Vandy team.

MU is 2-3 in those games and has allowed an average of 80 ppg, allowed at least 40 points in a half in all of those games and gave up 50+ points in a half twice. Those 5 opponents shot a combined 49.3% from the floor. That's awful defense.

Those are the games that should give us a decent idea of how MU will fair in conference play and it isn't looking good. I'm not ready to give up on the season but at this point, I'd be more surprised to see 10 BE wins than 10 BE losses.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2016, 01:00:21 PM »
I agree, have to try something different.  Al played man mostly, but since Bernard Toone could not play D, they played a zone against NC and won a championship.
Bernard played zone in high school and never learned how to guard a sole.  But great shooter, much like Sam.

Zone would kill our offense and turn us from a surprisingly decent rebounding team into a bad rebounding team. Gotta make tweaks to the man to man.
TAMU

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2016, 01:12:37 PM »

Makes sense & I hope for this as well.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2016, 01:18:27 PM »
In addition, that was MU's last real test before BE play begins. MU has now played 5 games against "Power 6" schools on the season - a tourney team, a bubble team, 2 NIT teams and a bad Vandy team.

MU is 2-3 in those games and has allowed an average of 80 ppg, allowed at least 40 points in a half in all of those games and gave up 50+ points in a half twice. Those 5 opponents shot a combined 49.3% from the floor. That's awful defense.

Those are the games that should give us a decent idea of how MU will fair in conference play and it isn't looking good. I'm not ready to give up on the season but at this point, I'd be more surprised to see 10 BE wins than 10 BE losses.

If you go by KenPom's ranking of GAMES...

We are 1-2 in A games
We are 1-1 in B games
We are 5-0 in the rest

So you could say we go

4-7 in future A games
2-2 in future B games
5-0 in in the rest

That's 18-10, 9-9 in conf.  That's right on the bubble which is right where we all thought we would be.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2016, 01:33:50 PM »

We are 1-2 in A games
We are 1-1 in B games
We are 5-0 in the rest

So you could say we go

4-7 in future A games
2-2 in future B games
5-0 in in the rest

That's 18-10, 9-9 in conf.  That's right on the bubble which is right where we all thought we would be.

That's actually 18-12 which would likely be on the back end of the bubble heading into the BET.

Regardless, I'll ask this question: What 4 "A Games" is MU going to win?

fjm

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2016, 01:34:13 PM »

We are 1-2 in A games
We are 1-1 in B games
We are 5-0 in the rest

So you could say we go

4-7 in future A games
2-2 in future B games
5-0 in in the rest

Thanks for posting that Lens.
Looks like what I felt. I predicted 19-11. I see us getting a surprise win over someone in there.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2016, 01:36:31 PM »
That's actually 18-12 which would likely be on the back end of the bubble heading into the BET.

I think we go 4-0 in B games and 2-9 in the A games. We get a W vs maybe butler and maybe one vs creighton?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2016, 01:41:10 PM »

I'm assuming the A games are 8 games vs. Butler, X, Nova, Creighton, then on the road vs. SHU, GT and PC?

If so I'll go....Butler at home. PC and Georgetown on the road. Then one of X and Creighton at home.

Also think we could win at SHU. any combination of 4 from those 6 games. Don't think we win at CU, at X, at Butler or either against Nova.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2016, 02:09:42 PM »

We are 1-2 in A games
We are 1-1 in B games
We are 5-0 in the rest

So you could say we go

4-7 in future A games
2-2 in future B games
5-0 in in the rest

besides the addition error that Merritt's pointed out I think it is a fair projection. I predicted 18-12 (9-9) at the beginning of the season and I'm sticking with that. I think stealing an extra B game is not totally outside the realm of possibility.
TAMU

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2016, 02:25:21 PM »

That's not what Blackheart said. It was a Top 10 worst defensive game.

This game wasn't even the worst defensive effort for Wojo's MU teams.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2016, 02:29:40 PM »
That's not what Blackheart said. It was a Top 10 worst defensive game.

Whoops. Thanks for the correction. I was obviously scanning too fast.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2016, 02:31:58 PM »

So things are looking up!!!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2016, 03:18:10 PM »

I look at it differently than the A/B games, and rather as there being three tiers in the league:

Tier 1: Villanova, Creighton, Butler

Tier 2: Xavier, Providence, Seton Hall

Tier 3: Georgetown, DePaul, St. John's

Go 6-0 against Tier 3, 3-3 against Tier 2, and 1-5 against Tier 1 and you get to 10 wins.

As far as A/B games, Tier 3 has one A game (@ GT) and two B games (GT, @ SJU). Tier 2 has four A games (XU, @ XU, @ SHU, @ PC). Tier 3 has six A games. I think we can beat Georgetown away, Xavier at home, and get 2/3 against Villanova, Creighton, and Butler at the BC.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.