Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Peaks and Valleys of MU BB  (Read 8061 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
Peaks and Valleys of MU BB
« on: December 11, 2016, 06:29:32 AM »
I did not see the game against Wisconsin because of Christmas events.  Always disappointing to lose to the instate rival.  However, just reflecting back, Crean could not make the Big Dance with two future NBA players on the team (Novak and Diener) and how would Buzz have done without his first year having Lazar, DJ, Wesley and Jerel?  I say hang in there with Wojo.  He is doing a lot of good things.  We are arguably in the best BB conference in the country.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 06:36:37 AM by NCMUFan »

MomofMUltiples

• All American
Re: Peaks and Valleys of MU BB
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 09:10:21 AM »
This post is far too reasonable to appear on scoop less than 24 hours after a "bad" loss. 
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 09:24:05 AM »
I haven't given up on Wojo.   I'm not sold on him either.    I expected to lose to Wisconsin.    I expected this team to be better than last year as a team but possibly not get to 20 wins in the regular season.    In another post I list all of the things about this team that have exceeded my expectations.   Clearly, there is still work to do.    But I was here for the Majerus/Dukiet years.    This is still better.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 09:28:00 AM »
I agree with both of you.

The lack of upper-class leadership on this team is disappointing.  JJJ was awful.  Luke was OK but he is flawed.  Ditto for Duane.  The most composed player out there many times was the youngest guy on the team.  That's a problem.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 09:36:59 AM »
Wojo needs that one player that plays like Lazar or Crowder, right now his players are not tough or physical.  Henry last year gave them some physicality, this year
none.  Reinhardt guarding Hayes, not close.  The size difference was significant, even Sam was guarding him, Hayes knew he could take him.  Happ same thing, Iverson
yep, all are more physical then anyone on MU.   

My main concern is Wojo taking players just because he was having trouble recruiting.  Rowsey, Carter and Howard, 3 tiny guards, add Duane to the mix and you
have no toughness, to small.  Wait to they play X or Villy, it will be a challenge.  I do not know enough about John or Eke, but they better bring a mental toughness
to the team next year.  Wojo has 1 scholarship left, better find somebody.  I think he will only take one as the following year he already has Hauser and Bailey which
leaves him one left for that year. 

I do not see them beating any of the Top 5 teams in the conference, conference is good.  Coaching is important but talented players make a coach and right now he does not have the horses.  It will not change unless he finds somebody like that.  Bailey and Hauser are not like that either, more finesse.  John will be the key next
year.  Anybody who has seen John, think he can do it?  Be that player.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 10:00:50 AM »
Dis is not da country's best basketball conference, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 10:11:36 AM »
There were actually two years where Crean had Diener & Novak and finished 19-12. The last year Diener broke his hand, so that one does not really count. The first one was Crean not being prepared for Wade leaving early, which I say is somewhat similar to Wojo not being prepared for Henry leaving early.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 10:37:17 AM »

No but it's probably the 2nd best.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 10:55:17 AM »
But I was here for the Majerus/Dukiet years.    This is still better.
^This.  Not that I would want us to settle for where the program is now--I want to get back to expected S16-S16-E8 runs--but if you lived through Rod Grosse, Roman Mueller, Anthony Candelino, Joe Nethen, et al., then you know we aren't anywhere near the valley.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 10:58:08 AM »

Top to bottom it certainly is.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 10:59:40 AM »
I agree with both of you.

The lack of upper-class leadership on this team is disappointing.  JJJ was awful.  Luke was OK but he is flawed.  Ditto for Duane.  The most composed player out there many times was the youngest guy on the team.  That's a problem.
Very true.  All three guys are Buzz recruits, so round pegs in square holes to some extent.  Not sure any of them are guys Wojo would have recruited...maybe Luke.

JJJ's regression he last 3-4 games is really puzzling.  Cheatham has been struggling, but JJJ is back to making horrible decisions and not hustling back on defense.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 11:02:13 AM »
No argument on the Dukiet years. Majerus's team at least made the NIT, which was really a disappointment compared to the prior 20 years, but would be an improvement over our last three years.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 11:18:23 AM »
Top to bottom it certainly is.

I don't know exactly what this means, but since its inception the "new" Big East has never been the NCAA's best conference. It's not this year either. Might be #2 which would be its best ever.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 11:18:54 AM »
ACC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12, SEC are all better, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 11:20:45 AM »
ACC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12, SEC are all better, hey?

No.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 11:26:52 AM »
No.

Sagarin says #3 (behind Big 12 and ACC), Massey says #4 (behind Big 12, ACC and Big 10). Don't know about Pomeroy. Maybe this translates to "certainly #1 from top to bottom" but I doubt it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 01:02:54 PM »
Sagarin says #3 (behind Big 12 and ACC), Massey says #4 (behind Big 12, ACC and Big 10). Don't know about Pomeroy. Maybe this translates to "certainly #1 from top to bottom" but I doubt it.
Pomeroy has the Big East third behind the Big 12 and ACC.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 12:22:52 AM »
There were actually two years where Crean had Diener & Novak and finished 19-12. The last year Diener broke his hand, so that one does not really count. The first one was Crean not being prepared for Wade leaving early, which I say is somewhat similar to Wojo not being prepared for Henry leaving early.

Crean was prepared, everyone knew it was coming, thus bringing in top 40 recruit Dameon Mason. Unfortunately he was badly overrated. Who was really missed that year was RJax.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 10:19:20 AM »
We have seen peaks and valleys over the past years and without a doubt Dukiet was Death Valley. TC gave us a FF appearance but Buzz was the closest we saw for a true peak in decades. It had some longevity to it and we received more national exposure with him as coach.

This topic actually pisses me off. Spent most of Saturday pre and post game talking to my son about the peaks post Al and if I did not have a good memory on MU ball it could have been a short conversation. Sadly all of my peak stories ended in a loss of game or coach. All in all, the post Al era (Rick and Hank) we have seen more disappointment than over the top success.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:06:33 AM by Goose »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 10:52:02 AM »

We all know a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, right?

Replace 'chain' with 'conference,' and while not entirely appropriate, it does form a basis for what is being implied by the "top to bottom" argument.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 12:23:33 PM »
No argument on the Dukiet years. Majerus's team at least made the NIT, which was really a disappointment compared to the prior 20 years, but would be an improvement over our last three years.

Last years team wpuld have been in the NIT if they were going by the format of when Majerus coached.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 12:27:12 PM »
MU is going to be outsized most games they need to be way more physical

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 12:27:19 PM »
^This.  Not that I would want us to settle for where the program is now--I want to get back to expected S16-S16-E8 runs--but if you lived through Rod Grosse, Roman Mueller, Anthony Candelino, Joe Nethen, et al., then you know we aren't anywhere near the valley.

Those years were an ocean trench.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 01:15:40 PM »
Mueller vs Candelino and Nathen is not even worth discussing. When we hit Candelino levels it was rock bottom in program history. Not going to try and defend Mueller, but at least he was not called on to contribute. I pray to God I never see the Dukiet era re-lived again.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 02:02:07 PM »

We had the feel of a D3 program in the Dukiet days. Kevin O'Neill was such a good and fortunate hire given the state of the program at the time. Yes, he had his flaws, but he started things going in an entirely different direction for MU hoops.