Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Whoopee thoughts  (Read 9000 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Whoopee thoughts
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2016, 09:40:53 PM »
You forgot Haanif's 22 points on 11 shots and Cam's and Matt's combining for 4 points on 1 shot. Sam's 8 on 6 shots isn't bad either.

Haanif had 16 on 11 shots (very good), Sam 8 on 6 (good), Cam and Matt lol - but Luke, Duane and JJJ were outstanding!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 09:55:35 PM »
He only draws the easy contact fouls (teal)

seriously, I get what your saying but if he and the coaches see matchups are favorable for him to drive and draw contact, as long as it's being called, why not?  Gets to the line and gets them in foul trouble.  I agree he is not shy about getting his shots...and some are unnerving...but this board (not you) is ripping on him nonstop even when he makes stuff happen.

I assume Wojo will tank him from the game if he feels he is a liability.  He strikes me as a guy who does other things to make positive impact (rebounds, defense,etc) but since he does "chuck it"  he gets extra scrutiny...it seems.

I hear ya, and I don't mean to bash him constantly. But I think it's a number of things. First, his defense, while reliable, is rarely eye catching. No big blocks like Wade, steals like McNeal, or authoritative rebounds like Henry.

Tonight, he drew those fouls coming in the direction of my section. Each time he went in I felt it was out of control and I was never surprised when the shots careened off the backboard or off the bottom of the rim. Those whistles felt like gifts.

I don't hate his entire game. I've been impressed with his rebounding effort (considering his reputation) and feel he has a good looking stroke, but really needs to learn to play within the system and just because he made one extra pass doesn't mean he can't make a second.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2016, 10:02:46 PM »

It seems like a lot of the scorers got the message to move the ball and were more selective in their shots (Fischer 6-6, Cheatham 7-9, Johnson 5-7, Wilson 6-7).  Then you have the 3-10 from Reinhardt.  Somewhat forgivable with the 8-8 from the line.  Rowsey also won't go 1-5 every day, and only one was a bad take.

I actually thought Reinhart got the message just fine. He didn't jack up a bunch of first-touch 3s, he moved the ball some (3 assists), he even dove on the floor a couple of times for the ball.

I loved Howard's dive to the floor. Set a nice tone fairly early. We won most of the 50/50 battles, and that's something that hasn't always been the case -- but should be!

While watching the game, I said, "You know who's really having a nice game? Duane." And the box score confirms what we saw: 13 pts on 5-6 shooting, including a couple of very nice aggressive drives; team-high 6 assists; team-high 3 steals; 0 TOs; played very much under control.

Nice bounce-back game for JJJ, too. He was awful against Pitt but was sweet tonight.

Haani ... nice!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 10:14:25 PM »
  • Highest offensive efficiency game in 3+ seasons
  • Formula of high tempo, high eFG%, and low turnover rate achieved.  Check
  • Season ticket holder Snugli was a nice furry bling surprise
  • Fans loudly calling out Katin as a chucker early on. Odd
  • Although it is break, two students in bleachers behind the basket at tip. Filled in later.
  • Nice sharing of the ball.  Wojo and most Scoopers still not happy with defense.
  • Spirit Squad vastly improved
  • The team, band, Dance Squad, ushers, and Sweater Vesties have new uniforms in past five years.  Cheerleaders need a change up this century.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 10:29:41 PM »
I don't really want to use this term, but should Marquette go "ND" this season?  Really not try hard on defense and try and outscore everyone?  They have as much offensive talent as any MU team since '12.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2016, 10:57:21 PM »
Saw a lot of great ball movement. Duane specifically stood out to me. Still, its a cupcake. A low fat cupcake but a cupcake, can't get too worked up.

Oh...and that Deon Franklin block. Daaayuuuum.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2016, 11:03:17 PM »
We could've lost to IUPUI like IU did to IPFW...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

harigtad

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2016, 11:04:22 PM »
First time I've seen the team live this season.

Fisher Cheatham were sharp/dominant

JJ and Duane looked like they belonged.

The others are collectively at best a work in progress and not impressive didn't pass my eye test.

Rowsley and Howard (and for that matter Carter) are even smaller in person tough to play 2 of them together even against a mid major let alone big east competition.

Fun to score 100+

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2016, 12:17:21 AM »
Still gave up 79points to areally bad team, defense continues to be horrible
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2016, 02:03:05 AM »

Not saying defense was amazing but keep in mind game had a lot of possessions so score can be a bit deceiving.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2016, 04:40:57 AM »
  • Highest offensive efficiency game in 3+ seasons
  • Formula of high tempo, high eFG%, and low turnover rate achieved.  Check
  • Season ticket holder Snugli was a nice furry bling surprise
  • Fans loudly calling out Katin as a chucker early on. Odd
[/color]
  • Although it is break, two students in bleachers behind the basket at tip. Filled in later.
  • Nice sharing of the ball.  Wojo and most Scoopers still not happy with defense.
  • Spirit Squad vastly improved
  • The team, band, Dance Squad, ushers, and Sweater Vesties have new uniforms in past five years.  Cheerleaders need a change up this century.

On TV the BC looked empty.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2016, 06:26:58 AM »

Yes and no.   41.2 % shooting from the field, 30% from 3.    Gave up 68 shots.   79 points was as much a product of tempo as defensive lapses. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2016, 07:24:49 AM »
This was unsettling.  Loved Hauser's effort when we had to go small (pulled down 9 boards), but that's not a good backup plan against Big East teams.

It seems like a lot of the scorers got the message to move the ball and were more selective in their shots (Fischer 6-6, Cheatham 7-9, Johnson 5-7, Wilson 6-7).  Then you have the 3-10 from Reinhardt.  Somewhat forgivable with the 8-8 from the line.  Rowsey also won't go 1-5 every day, and only one was a bad take.
Rinehart is a lost cause
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2016, 07:28:16 AM »
It was fun playing against a team that had no interest in running the shot clock down to zero.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2016, 07:32:15 AM »
My thoughts.

Offense very, very good.  Loved the unselfish passing, though I suspect we were able to do that because of the opponent.

Defense still bad other than a 5 or so minute stretch in the first half when we took control.  Too many lay-ups, dunks, wide open 3s.

Luke has to stop fouling off the ball.  Heldt is a fouling machine, but that first half post move was nice.  He doesn't move like a basketball player, but Heldt has very good hands.  I think he will be useful.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2016, 07:37:40 AM »
Wow, I'm seldom the Debbie Downer of the board, particularly after a 25 point win, but I didn't think we played particularly well despite the final score.

* Thought the defense, particularly the interior defense, was pretty awful again, but it was covered up by the fact that IUPUI's defense was more horrendous when they even bothered to play defense at all.  They seemed to be able to drive inside at will, they simply couldn't finish at the rate a good team would.  And nine fouls on Fischer and Heldt?!??
*  Reinhardt still frequently decides he is going to shoot when he gets the ball regardless of whether he is open.  You can visible see when he gets the ball what he has already decided.
* Same to a lesser extent for JJJ.  He decides he is going to drive whether it is there or not.  Against a crap defense and lesser athletes like IUPUI you can get away with that, but not against good teams.
* Carter is still highly turnover prone and still is poor at feeding the post

To balance the ledger:
* Duane with his best game in a long time-- very nice to see
* Haanif with another excellent all-around game

I know a 25 point win should be more satisfying, just didn't think we played any better than we did vs. Pitt
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2016, 09:31:37 AM »
Post on this message board re: Patterson from 5.5+ years ago...

Patterson is good, not great.   Could turn into a very good player.  Settles a lot, although he's not close to an elite shooter.  Can do multiple things though.. solid overall, not great.  Could be pretty good, but I'm not sold.

btw... Eron Harris (2012) who has run with these kids for Indiana Elite is a nice looking player.  If he winds up at a mid major, he may be the man on a team.  Not a strong frame, but long and athletic.  Drills open deep balls with ease and can attack to the rim or pull up for the j.  Active on defense... looks close to 6'4" to me.. fairly versatile.  I wonder if a bigger school doesn't eventually snatch him up... so far it's just been mid-majors I think.. but I like the kid a lot (more than any of those I4 jagoffs).
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2016, 09:44:36 AM »
Wow, I'm seldom the Debbie Downer of the board, particularly after a 25 point win, but I didn't think we played particularly well despite the final score.

* Thought the defense, particularly the interior defense, was pretty awful again, but it was covered up by the fact that IUPUI's defense was more horrendous when they even bothered to play defense at all.  They seemed to be able to drive inside at will, they simply couldn't finish at the rate a good team would.  And nine fouls on Fischer and Heldt?!??
*  Reinhardt still frequently decides he is going to shoot when he gets the ball regardless of whether he is open.  You can visible see when he gets the ball what he has already decided.
* Same to a lesser extent for JJJ.  He decides he is going to drive whether it is there or not.  Against a crap defense and lesser athletes like IUPUI you can get away with that, but not against good teams.
* Carter is still highly turnover prone and still is poor at feeding the post

To balance the ledger:
* Duane with his best game in a long time-- very nice to see
* Haanif with another excellent all-around game

I know a 25 point win should be more satisfying, just didn't think we played any better than we did vs. Pitt

Hmmm.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2016, 10:28:37 AM »
Hmmm.
Hey, I know.  I'm usually the optimistic sort.  Just thought our defensive deficiencies were simply covered up by IUPUI's much horribly worse defense.

BUT WE WON!
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2016, 11:20:30 AM »
Is everyone else as impressed as I am with Deon Franklin's fouls per minute metric.  Including Rockhurst - 6 mins with 5 fouls.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2016, 11:31:18 AM »
We could've lost to IUPUI like IU did to IPFW...

Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2016, 03:41:55 PM »
Is everyone else as impressed as I am with Deon Franklin's fouls per minute metric.  Including Rockhurst - 6 mins with 5 fouls.
Shows that Heldt is actually a slacker in this department

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2016, 03:57:46 PM »
I really like him, because he goes after everything. The play of the game was when he thought he drew a charge. Ran down the court and got congratulated by Wojo only to find out they called the foul on him.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2016, 06:42:00 AM »
this was a game that reminded me of westhead's "run n gun".  IUPUI was a team we could do this against.  so we did.  if you were looking for a balanced defense to go with the offense, this was not the game for you.  wojo's game plan was gogogogogogo.  will this work with all of our games-nope.  next up-houston baptist-wojo will probably employ much of the same-just win baby. with the exception of michigan and pitt, we could/can get away with the run n gun...so far.  as for when we get into the meat and potatoes of the big east, wojo better have a plan "B"

the testers will come when we have to match up to bigger teams.  well, we can't.  so we have to beat them with what we can do best and that's what i hope they are working on.  they have to get more consistent from the 3 or they will get killed.  unless we can play D like fort wayne did the other night against tommy tanning bed.  fort wayne was held to what? in the last 9 minutes when they held a 12 point lead...all they did was pass it around the perimeter until they found the open dude outside the arc.  we are a much better shooting team than fort wayne

when we are going thru a cold spell from the 3, pls don't let reinhart try to pull us out of it-that's when we go down by 15.  our first snipers should be doogie or duane or rousey, maybe cam off the bench before katin
don't...don't don't don't don't

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2016, 09:25:04 AM »
Wow, bunch of curmudgeons on this board. LOL