collapse

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Notre Dame football must vacate wins for violations by student-trainer  (Read 4207 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
1500 kids don't go to class at UNC, no sanctions
Louisville uses hookers for dad and recruit, no sanctions
Baylor tries to cover-up gang rapes by the football team, no sanctions.

Lance Thomas received $100k in jewelry (an impermissible benefit) and played on Duke's 2010 Championship team, no sanctions.
Cam Newton's dad took money when Cam was leading Auburn to a national championship, no sanctions.

But let the moral outrage begin over this ....

Notre Dame football must vacate wins for violations by student-trainer
12:58 p.m. EST November 22, 2016

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/11/22/notre-dame-ncaa-violations-student-trainer/94280000/?hootPostID=7d7903fca5c9ff3c8a70bb440ba67193

Notre Dame will be forced to vacate victories in the 2012 and 2013 football season due to NCAA violations by a student-trainer.

The NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions panel ruled the trainer violated NCAA ethical conduct rules when she committed academic misconduct for two football players and provided six other players with impermissible academic extra benefits.

Notre Dame was 12-1 in 2012, including an appearance in the BCS championship game against Alabama. In 2013, the Irish finished 9-4. The school must vacate the victories in which the players appeared while ineligible. It is not clear how many of the 21 games those players participated in.

Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly said the school would appeal the penalties.

@timprister
Brian Kelly on severity of NCAA penalty. "It was student-on-student cheating. The NCAA agreed with that finding. It was clearly excessive."

@LakenLitman
What culpability does the head coach have in this case? Brian Kelly: "Zero. Absolutely none."

Other penalties handed down by the NCAA:

- One year of probation for the athletic department

- A public reprimand and censure for the school and a $5,000 fine

- A two-year, show-cause order against the student-trainer

- The athletics department must disassociate from the former student-trainer for two years.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:09:17 PM by Jesse Livermore »

GGGG

• All American
Re: Notre Dame football must vacate wins for violations by student-trainer
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 12:08:10 PM »
I for one think it is hilarious that they are getting punished for this, and even think its funnier to see Brian Kelly whine about it.

Oh and...

https://twitter.com/ESQPolitics/status/801122485647327232

‏@ESQPolitics Charles P. Pierce
Vacate one for the Gipper.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 12:25:44 PM »
 ;D

That is all.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 12:26:26 PM »
In related news, my friend now owes me $20. Gotta love the quality individuals of the Norte Dame football team.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 12:56:59 PM »
1500 kids don't go to class at UNC, no sanctions
Louisville uses hookers for dad and recruit, no sanctions

Aren't both of these still pending? I know the UNC one still is.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 02:35:06 PM »
The arrogance of these a-holes....

The NCAA has never in its history vacated the records of an institution that had no involvement in the underlying academic misconduct, and according to a university statement by the Rev. John I. Jenkins, Notre Dame's president, "the NCAA investigation confirmed the conclusions of our own internal investigation: Notre Dame acted honorably throughout."

Ef 'em.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 02:46:09 PM »
The arrogance of these a-holes....

The NCAA has never in its history vacated the records of an institution that had no involvement in the underlying academic misconduct, and according to a university statement by the Rev. John I. Jenkins, Notre Dame's president, "the NCAA investigation confirmed the conclusions of our own internal investigation: Notre Dame acted honorably throughout."

Ef 'em.

You really have to get over the hate you have for them rejecting you for admissions.  It is not healthy.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 03:00:15 PM »
It would seem to me that the NCAA's argument rests on the presumption that a student-trainer is considered to be under the direction and control of the university not simply while executing his/her duties as a trainer but in any any interaction with another student who is - or may be subject to - his/her care as a trainer.

Would anyone agree with this assessment?

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 03:24:22 PM »
It would seem to me that the NCAA's argument rests on the presumption that a student-trainer is considered to be under the direction and control of the university not simply while executing his/her duties as a trainer but in any any interaction with another student who is - or may be subject to - his/her care as a trainer.

Would anyone agree with this assessment?

It would be the same application in a military command structure, where you are always part of the military and it's rules even if you aren't in uniform/on duty. So the question is, should that standard apply in an athletic/academic setting.

I don't think so but then again I'm an anti-NCAA guy.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 04:07:55 PM »
It would be the same application in a military command structure, where you are always part of the military and it's rules even if you aren't in uniform/on duty. So the question is, should that standard apply in an athletic/academic setting.

I'm an anti-NCAA guy...unless their inconsistencies screw over Notre Dame.

I love the NCAA today.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 05:26:56 PM »
You really have to get over the hate you have for them rejecting you for admissions.  It is not healthy.

Ummm, said no to them.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 06:44:15 PM »
i get the ND hate as when i was a student, the hate ran very very deep...just think kelly triPUCKA.  anyway, if this is the penalty for the domers, NC might as well start lining up renters for all of their athletic facilities as they aren't going to need them for a while...a long while
don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 06:46:51 PM »
i get the ND hate as when i was a student, the hate ran very very deep...just think kelly triPUCKA.  anyway, if this is the penalty for the domers, NC might as well start lining up renters for all of their athletic facilities as they aren't going to need them for a while...a long while

Unfortunately, that's not how the NCAA works

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 09:51:07 PM »
I think it's hilarious.

Couldn't happen to nicer folks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 09:38:32 AM »
This is hysterical, but is there really any emptier punishment than vacating wins?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 09:40:18 AM »
This is hysterical, but is there really any emptier punishment than vacating wins?

Well the $5,000 fine is a nice touch.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 10:14:19 AM »

Good question.  I would say that such should apply in any situation - if you're representing someone or something, you shouldn't get a pass just because you're a student - but I'm a big believer in personal responsibility and fostering one's own ability to mature and grow as an individual; however, I know that not everyone shares my perspective - especially in academia - and that's fine.  But let's remember that we're talking about Notre Dame here, so moral flexibility is acceptable in this case.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 10:30:52 AM »
Good question.  I would say that such should apply in any situation - if you're representing someone or something, you shouldn't get a pass just because you're a student - but I'm a big believer in personal responsibility and fostering one's own ability to mature and grow as an individual; however, I know that not everyone shares my perspective - especially in academia - and that's fine.  But let's remember that we're talking about Notre Dame here, so moral flexibility is acceptable in this case.

I know the last statement is classic Benny tongue in cheek internet speak, so this isn't directed at you....but I'm a firm believer in having your principles and sticking by them as opposed to navigating based on outcomes. Too many times we look at something and say well the outcome was "unfair" or the outcome is what makes me feel good and totally ignore the way we got there. I hate on ND as much as anyone in the world but I think the NCAA sucks at having principles let alone following them so I'm not a fan of this.

Having said all of that, all of my ND-based friends received email from me today with links to this news and the following graphic.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2016, 02:55:33 PM »
Notre Dame needs to be humbled periodically.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 06:57:11 PM »
Don't need to vacate many wins from this year, huh?  ;D

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 08:47:11 AM »
Don't need to vacate many wins from this year, huh?  ;D

I was going to post the same thing.  Kudos CSFR.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 08:57:05 AM »
So Notre Dame defensive lineman Jerry Tillery in the head when he is down with a potential head injury.

Brian Kelly takes him off the field.  Yells at him.  Puts him back in the game, where he proceeds to step on a guy's ankle.

I think Kelly is an undisciplined coach who is over his head at Notre Dame.  They haven't had a coach who has met their outsized expectations since Lou Holtz and that was a LOONNNGGG time ago. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2016, 10:59:07 AM »
So Notre Dame defensive lineman Jerry Tillery in the head when he is down with a potential head injury.

Brian Kelly takes him off the field.  Yells at him.  Puts him back in the game, where he proceeds to step on a guy's ankle.

I think Kelly is an undisciplined coach who is over his head at Notre Dame.  They haven't had a coach who has met their outsized expectations since Lou Holtz and that was a LOONNNGGG time ago.

They were in love with Kelly during his one good season. Just as they were in love with Weis during his good season. And they were in love with Winningham during his good season.

ND simply doesn't matter anymore, which is fun!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2016, 08:33:38 AM »
Best part are the news stories that have surfaced that Brian Kelly is trying to find someone that is interested in him so he can leave ND. I suggested that he apply to be a high wind scissor lift tester but haven't yet seen if that suggestion will be considered.

And Sultan, you are 100% correct, Kelly is himself undisciplined, volatile coach and that can't help but carry over to his players. Hope Kelly is there for a long time...they deserve each other.