Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Could MU be ranked after next week  (Read 7528 times)

Marquette4life

• All American
Could MU be ranked after next week
« on: November 13, 2016, 04:46:43 PM »
Do you guys think if MU beats Howard by a big margin and beats Michigan and wins the SMU/Pitt game, could we be ranked?

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Could MU be ranked after next week
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 04:52:11 PM »
Do you guys think if MU beats Howard by a big margin and beats Michigan and wins the SMU/Pitt game, could we be ranked?

It's not really about who we beat as much as who in front of us loses. We could be undefeated but if every team in the top 25 is as well we aren't going to be ranked. That being said if we start off 4-0 with three wins over major teams then I think we'all see a few votes for us.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 04:56:02 PM »
Get votes?   Yes.   Ranked?    Only if we win all of the games by 24 points. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 05:12:02 PM »
I think we may get a handful of votes Monday. We throttled a high major in one of the first games of the season. Lots of eyes on that game. It's easier to pick up votes this time of year when voters don't really know how good anyone is. Let's see the polls tomorrow.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 05:19:44 PM »

I like MU being under the Radar in the early part of the season.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 05:28:44 PM »

I doubt MU has much action beating Vandy. Win the games this week and we make some noise.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 05:42:32 PM »
This has nothing to do with this but creighton vs the BADgers tuesday

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 10:06:49 PM »
Get votes?   Yes.   Ranked?    Only if we win all of the games by 24 points.

In other words ...

Done deal!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 11:49:09 PM »
If we go 4-0 we will be ranked. It won't matter how much we beat anyone by. 4-0 against 3 high major teams is ranked city.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 01:48:35 AM »
If we go 4-0 we will be ranked. It won't matter how much we beat anyone by. 4-0 against 3 high major teams is ranked city.

This is stupid, reminds me of when I kept calling my dad during 09-10 asking why we weren't ranked. If we are doing fantastic but nobody in front is losing then we aren't cracking the top 25 end of story
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 06:22:34 AM »
Yep, there will be so many teams undefeated and many with 1 loss against another ranked team. Like creighton and UW as was mentioned. Someone has to lose that game but not a case to drop either if it's within 10 pts.

There are just so many teams. And so many in front of us with assumed ranking love.

No problem speculating...part of the fun of muscoop. But we know what the team needs to do to ultimately answer this question and wins are the most fun of all.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 06:34:35 AM »
Teams jump other teams that didn't lose in the rankings all the time. Especially early in the year. Teams aren't locked into the order they're ranked in and just slide up a spot with everyone else as teams above them lose.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 06:59:51 AM »
Teams jump other teams that didn't lose in the rankings all the time. Especially early in the year. Teams aren't locked into the order they're ranked in and just slide up a spot with everyone else as teams above them lose.

+1

Especially at this time of year. Winning a game against a high major tourney team in the first nationally televised game of the year and winning a tourney that takes place before most other tournaments get started would give us a very good shot.

But Michigan, Pitt, and SMU all have plenty of talent. Long way to go to get to 4-0.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 07:12:22 AM »
How long do we have to go undefeated to be ranked No. 1?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 08:04:51 AM »
How long do we have to go undefeated to be ranked No. 1?

If we're undefeated on January 9, we'd probably be earning some votes and be in the top-5. Make it to January 30 undefeated and, barring undefeated teams that are currently in the top-10, I think we'd be ranked #1.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 08:24:49 AM »
If we're undefeated on January 9, we'd probably be earning some votes and be in the top-5. Make it to January 30 undefeated and, barring undefeated teams that are currently in the top-10, I think we'd be ranked #1.
I am glad you took my question seriously, because I have thought about this. Mostly, when I am out mowing my grass and I have to think about something. What if we go 30-0 and Duke is 29-2, Arizona 29-2, Indiana is 29-2 and Kentucky is 29-2 going into the conference tournaments. What are we ranked and are we projected to get a number one seed? Obviously the conference tournaments will decide the number 1 seeds, if only one of these teams fail to win their tournament. However, if all of these teams including us win the conference tournaments the committee will have to strongly consider all of these teams for a one seed. How long does the preseason bias that we are not good last? How long does the favoritism to a power 5 conference team last? In this senario I could envision us being ranked behind the blue bloods of Duke and Kentucky.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:28:58 AM by bilsu »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 09:05:17 AM »
What will we be ranked after we cap our undefeated season by beating Kentucky 100-62 for the national title?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 09:13:42 AM »
While being ranked is a good bit away, let's not lose sight of the fact that we've played and beaten two teams that were in the October 31 'also receiving votes' category including the 27th ranked Dayton team.

Tonight is another practice tune-up.  We'll start to get a better handle on Thursday and Friday.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 09:26:45 AM »
I am glad you took my question seriously, because I have thought about this. Mostly, when I am out mowing my grass and I have to think about something. What if we go 30-0 and Duke is 29-2, Arizona 29-2, Indiana is 29-2 and Kentucky is 29-2 going into the conference tournaments. What are we ranked and are we projected to get a number one seed? Obviously the conference tournaments will decide the number 1 seeds, if only one of these teams fail to win their tournament. However, if all of these teams including us win the conference tournaments the committee will have to strongly consider all of these teams for a one seed. How long does the preseason bias that we are not good last? How long does the favoritism to a power 5 conference team last? I this senario I could envision us being ranked behind the blue bloods of Duke and Kentucky.

We would be the #1 overall seed.

Heck, Gonzaga was a 1 seed within the last 5 years with I believe 2 losses.  And then lost in the 2nd round I think.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 09:31:33 AM »
While we still have a ways to go to 4-0, I think we'll be ranked if we do it.

I actually think MU will be in mid 30's in today's poll.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 10:23:11 AM »

Am I missing something or are you saying Howard or IUPUI are a high major team?

Edit, i forgot about the Pitt/SMU match-up my bad
Fear makes you dumb.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 10:31:11 AM »
I am glad you took my question seriously, because I have thought about this. Mostly, when I am out mowing my grass and I have to think about something. What if we go 30-0 and Duke is 29-2, Arizona 29-2, Indiana is 29-2 and Kentucky is 29-2 going into the conference tournaments. What are we ranked and are we projected to get a number one seed? Obviously the conference tournaments will decide the number 1 seeds, if only one of these teams fail to win their tournament. However, if all of these teams including us win the conference tournaments the committee will have to strongly consider all of these teams for a one seed. How long does the preseason bias that we are not good last? How long does the favoritism to a power 5 conference team last? I this senario I could envision us being ranked behind the blue bloods of Duke and Kentucky.

I think about this kind of stuff all the time. Here's how I'd see it, week-by-week, if we went undefeated (we won't, we'll probably lose this week, but just on the "what if" assumption):

Nov 14: 1-0, Getting votes
Nov 21: 4-0, #24 (Sneak in at the end thanks to three high-major wins on national television)
Nov 28: 6-0, #23 (Meaningless wins, but someone will probably lose)
Dec 5: 8-0, #19 (Road win over Georgia gives us a better bump
Dec 12: 10-0, #13 (Win over top-10 Badger team bumps us up significantly)
Dec 19: 10-0 #14 (No games that week, Badger bump fades)
Dec 26: 12-0, #12 (Someone ahead of us loses)
Jan 2: 14-0, #9 (Wins over Georgetown, SHU propel us up as conference play starts to pick those ahead of us off)
Jan 9: 15-0, #5 (We just beat a likely undefeated Villanova on the road)
Jan 16: 17-0, #4 (Assuming someone ahead of us loses)
Jan 23: 18-0, #3 (Win over Butler, someone ahead of us loses)
Jan 30: 20-0, #1 (Completed sweep of Villanova, beat Providence)

Clearly this is complete pie in the sky, and complete and utter BS based on one impressive win over what will probably be at best a bubble Vanderbilt team, but if we did stay undefeated to 20-0, this is probably about the trajectory. If we went 33-0 coming into the tournament, we would be the #1 seed in the entire thing unless Duke, Kansas, or Kentucky was also undefeated. With our league strength and enough SOS to be competitive, no way we wouldn't be a 1-seed. Just no way. Attrition would ensure it.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2016, 10:35:40 AM »
I know most of this is in jest and hypotheticals, but I see we are on the high end of the spectrum today.   

After we lose our first game there will be the "Are We Going To Miss The NIT" thread.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 10:36:55 AM »
I know most of this is in jest and hypotheticals, but I see we are on the high end of the spectrum today.   

After we lose our first game there will be the "Are We Going To Miss The NIT" thread.

My expectation is that we won't finish the week undefeated, much less make it to January 30 ;)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 10:37:22 AM »
I think about this kind of stuff all the time. Here's how I'd see it, week-by-week, if we went undefeated (we won't, we'll probably lose this week, but just on the "what if" assumption):

Nov 14: 1-0, Getting votes
Nov 21: 4-0, #24 (Sneak in at the end thanks to three high-major wins on national television)
Nov 28: 6-0, #23 (Meaningless wins, but someone will probably lose)
Dec 5: 8-0, #19 (Road win over Georgia gives us a better bump
Dec 12: 10-0, #13 (Win over top-10 Badger team bumps us up significantly)
Dec 19: 10-0 #14 (No games that week, Badger bump fades)
Dec 26: 12-0, #12 (Someone ahead of us loses)
Jan 2: 14-0, #9 (Wins over Georgetown, SHU propel us up as conference play starts to pick those ahead of us off)
Jan 9: 15-0, #5 (We just beat a likely undefeated Villanova on the road)
Jan 16: 17-0, #4 (Assuming someone ahead of us loses)
Jan 23: 18-0, #3 (Win over Butler, someone ahead of us loses)
Jan 30: 20-0, #1 (Completed sweep of Villanova, beat Providence)

Clearly this is complete pie in the sky, and complete and utter BS based on one impressive win over what will probably be at best a bubble Vanderbilt team, but if we did stay undefeated to 20-0, this is probably about the trajectory. If we went 33-0 coming into the tournament, we would be the #1 seed in the entire thing unless Duke, Kansas, or Kentucky was also undefeated. With our league strength and enough SOS to be competitive, no way we wouldn't be a 1-seed. Just no way. Attrition would ensure it.
Reasonable and I like people who can dream.