Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rockhurst Takeaways  (Read 15756 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Rockhurst Takeaways
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2016, 10:38:36 AM »
The following statement is in line with free throws do not matter claim, which I do not agree with. They do matter in close games.
I find the number of assists on baskets made as irrelevant. A basket made is a basket made whether it is associated with an assist or not. Sure it is a sign that the team is sharing the ball. It is also a sign that a team is not scoring off offensive rebounds or drives to the basket. I rather watch a player with a Wade type move blow by a player than watch someone pass the ball so someone can shoot a jumper. Feel free to disagree with me on this as I am sure there are plenty of people (maybe everyone besides me) that think assists matter. Just about every post game show Buzz and Wojo talk about the assist to basket ratio and I always think so what.

If you have a transcendent player who can get his shot at any time, sure.    Any other time, assists are an indication of unselfish play and understanding of the system.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2016, 10:44:43 AM »
Assists show a style of play. A team with a high assist rate is NOT a good indicator of offensive efficiency and may in fact be a negative sign (low orebs/putbacks; low steal/transition buckets/lack of individual shot creators, etc)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2016, 10:52:36 AM »
Box score says attendance was 7,975.

Is it safe to assume that's how many season tickets were sold this year?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2016, 10:54:47 AM »
Box score says attendance was 7,975.

Is it safe to assume that's how many season tickets were sold this year?

Yikes.  There weren't 8,000 in the house for sure so I fear you might be correct.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2016, 11:39:27 AM »
Yikes.  There weren't 8,000 in the house for sure so I fear you might be correct.

What has it been in recent years past? 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2016, 11:54:39 AM »
What has it been in recent years past?

Attendance for Grambling last year was 11,618.  While we have argued about how many single game tickets are sold for bottom feeders, many believe that's a decent proxy for last year's season ticket base.

Edit:  Just looked up Valley City State from last year.  11,156.  Suggests that the season ticket base has dropped nearly 30%.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 12:00:17 PM by jsglow »

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »
Wasn't VCSt a night game?  Rockhurst on Saturday was a day game, and it competed directly with the Badger football game, which could explain some of the drop in attendance.

I even skipped the game to go watch St. Cats win the boys soccer title, but I have season tickets so I was probably counted in the 8,000.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2016, 12:14:21 PM »
Wasn't VCSt a night game?  Rockhurst on Saturday was a day game, and it competed directly with the Badger football game, which could explain some of the drop in attendance.

I even skipped the game to go watch St. Cats win the boys soccer title, but I have season tickets so I was probably counted in the 8,000.

You're missing the point.  MU counts tickets sold.  As I said from the 'nearly' empty BC, there's NO WAY that there were even 5,000 there.  Eng, chick and I had it to ourselves.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2016, 12:14:24 PM »

The point made however was that Marquette announces attendance as the number of tickets sold, not the butts in the seats. So if they're announcing less than 8,000 and we know every season ticket holder purchased a seat, that doesn't bode well for attendance.

Also makes it completely bewildering how despite my highest donation amount as a STH, my seats got worse from last year  >:(
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2016, 12:15:25 PM »
The point made however was that Marquette announces attendance as the number of tickets sold, not the butts in the seats. So if they're announcing less than 8,000 and we know every season ticket holder purchased a seat, that doesn't bode well for attendance.

Also makes it completely bewildering how despite my highest donation amount as a STH, my seats got worse from last year  >:(

Brew was there too and owes me a beer!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2016, 12:18:33 PM »
Doesn't really surprise me though. We haven't won in a long time and we don't have the draw of Hank like we did last year. Season tickets were bound to go down, even though I think we have a better team.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2016, 12:24:54 PM »
Doesn't really surprise me though. We haven't won in a long time and we don't have the draw of Hank like we did last year. Season tickets were bound to go down, even though I think we have a better team.

You all might recall that I had previously predicted the potential for attendance to drop below 10,000.  No way I would have guessed this, if accurate.

One more quick point.  Dollars and cents as represented by attendance might be the biggest factor determining Wojo's long term future.  I sincerely believe a season ticket base of 8,000 won't be considered acceptable long term.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2016, 12:28:33 PM »

A decline doesn't surprise me. A decline of more than 3,000 in a single year? That surprises me.

Marquette announced their average attendance in 2015-16 as 13,308 per game. So that's a little over 2,000 non-STH tickets sold per game.

If that 7,975 is indicative of the number of STHs this year, we could be looking at less than 10,000 average attendance this year. Last year that would have dropped us from 21st to 43rd. Honestly, that's a terrible number and indicative that the athletic department is not getting the job done, from on the court results to marketing.

In that "Marquette by the Numbers" video, one of the points of pride was 15 straight years of top-25 attendance. The biggest takeaway from Rockhurst is not that streak ending, but ending with a dismal whimper. That impacts revenue, marketing, recruiting, virtually all aspects of the program. In the entire time since Wojo took over, that 7,975 may be the most significant statistical point to indicate the trajectory of the program. They need to start winning, now.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2016, 12:37:56 PM »
Well said Brew. If you scoopers within reasonable driving distance really care, buy some tickets and get your butt down there as often as you can.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »
The attendance number was a typo. The paid crowd was over 11,000.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2016, 12:40:43 PM »
Wow after Wojo's plea for us to get our butts to the games that isn't good. Can you buy season tickets after the start of the season? Because it would be interesting to see if there's any spike if we were to beat Vandy
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2016, 12:41:03 PM »
Well said Brew. If you scoopers within reasonable driving distance really care, buy some tickets and get your butt down there as often as you can.

Define reasonable
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2016, 12:45:29 PM »

Any idea the actual number? They may want to get that fixed, that's a big typo.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2016, 12:51:02 PM »

Source?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2016, 12:58:56 PM »
Source?

MuPanther works for the athletic department (or Marquette in some capacity), if I'm not mistaken.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2016, 01:00:38 PM »
Any idea the actual number? They may want to get that fixed, that's a big typo.
Didn't remember the number. I'll ask for it. Exhibition games don't count for your season totals. It is a big typo, because it's sending a bad message about the fan base, that turns out not to be true.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2016, 01:02:57 PM »
MuPanther works for the athletic department (or Marquette in some capacity), if I'm not mistaken.
Dental School
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 01:53:09 PM by mupanther »
-Bill Walton

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2016, 01:29:46 PM »
Didn't remember the number. I'll ask for it. Exhibition games don't count for your season totals. It is a big typo, because it's sending a bad message about the fan base, that turns out not to be true.

Not worried about the actual attendance, more the message sent by indicating there are less than 8,000 STHs this year.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2016, 01:35:33 PM »
A decline doesn't surprise me. A decline of more than 3,000 in a single year? That surprises me.

Marquette announced their average attendance in 2015-16 as 13,308 per game. So that's a little over 2,000 non-STH tickets sold per game.

If that 7,975 is indicative of the number of STHs this year, we could be looking at less than 10,000 average attendance this year. Last year that would have dropped us from 21st to 43rd. Honestly, that's a terrible number and indicative that the athletic department is not getting the job done, from on the court results to marketing.

In that "Marquette by the Numbers" video, one of the points of pride was 15 straight years of top-25 attendance. The biggest takeaway from Rockhurst is not that streak ending, but ending with a dismal whimper. That impacts revenue, marketing, recruiting, virtually all aspects of the program. In the entire time since Wojo took over, that 7,975 may be the most significant statistical point to indicate the trajectory of the program. They need to start winning, now.
We need to win and we need to do it now.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2016, 02:32:35 PM »

Maybe that was the Ellenson effect. I thought with a McDonald's American that attendance would of gone up last year. Last year did not seem to get a boost by Ellenson. Maybe Ellenson prevented it from declining more last year and that is now showing up this year, since the season ticket holders who held on because of him are leaving a year later. Maybe the new arena will have the same effect. I know I am hanging on for the new arena. After that season, I will see. I love going to the games, but I can watch them on TV in Sheboygan, save a lot of money, and not worry about snowy roads.

feedback