collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette is the Big East Champion  (Read 5076 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Marquette is the Big East Champion
« on: October 29, 2016, 02:48:51 PM »

in Women's Soccer.  Let's give them their props.

Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Marquette is the Big East Champion
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 02:52:31 PM »
in Women's Soccer.  Let's give them their props.

Great work, ladies!
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 05:03:18 PM »
Good stuff.  Always good to get conference championships/NCAA Tournament appearances.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 09:39:03 AM »
Congratulations to these hard working Women. It is great to see all our teams win Big East titles. Hope they do well in the NCAA.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

fjm

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 01:44:56 PM »
solid work

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 01:54:48 PM »
Just looked it up, because I hadn't been following it.

Marquette men's team is in the cellar of the BE.  What happened there? They used to be pretty competitive.

Let's hope The Dome helps recruiting.

Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 02:15:31 PM »
Just looked it up, because I hadn't been following it.

Marquette men's team is in the cellar of the BE.  What happened there? They used to be pretty competitive.

In 2014, they lost both defender Axel Sjoberg and goalkeeper Charlie Lyon to the MLS Superdraft (both were seniors). The next year, C. Nortey and Louis Bennett II signed pro deals overseas. Lots of talent has left in the past couple years, and this isn't exactly a soccer hotbed.

It didn't help that USA youth international Andrija Novakovich signed a letter of intent but then signed a pro deal overseas with Reading FC. Would have been a huge addition for Bennett. I'll admit I only pay passive attention to that team, but it's hard to build a successful program here.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 02:25:38 PM »
Congrats to the MU women!

We are Marquette!

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 03:22:17 PM »
Congrats!  Awesome job ladies.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 03:29:09 PM »
In 2014, they lost both defender Axel Sjoberg and goalkeeper Charlie Lyon to the MLS Superdraft (both were seniors). The next year, C. Nortey and Louis Bennett II signed pro deals overseas. Lots of talent has left in the past couple years, and this isn't exactly a soccer hotbed.

It didn't help that USA youth international Andrija Novakovich signed a letter of intent but then signed a pro deal overseas with Reading FC. Would have been a huge addition for Bennett. I'll admit I only pay passive attention to that team, but it's hard to build a successful program here.

Sjoberg and Bennett both left early I believe which also didnt help. I forgot about Novakovich, didnt realize he signed with Reading (Who are shockingly in 5th right now in the championship.)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 03:48:58 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 03:44:11 PM »
Sjoberg and Bennett both left early I believe which also didnt help. I forgot about Novakovich, didnt realize he signed with Reading (Who are shockingly in 5th right now in the championship.

Novakovich is out on loan, but Reading is overachieving under Jaap Stam so far. He looked raw but talented last year. Really wanted him at Marquette, but as a Reading fan, I'm glad he landed at the Madejski.

Also, props to the women. Great accomplishment and shows a continued upward trend across MU athletics.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 04:05:28 PM »
Congratulations woman's soccer!!  Btw, when was the last time, if ever, have we seen MU-DePaul in a championship of any sort?   

Looking for where they are seeded for the college cup?  selections on nov. 7 ?
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 04:17:51 PM »
Congratulations woman's soccer!!  Btw, when was the last time, if ever, have we seen MU-DePaul in a championship of any sort?   

Looking for where they are seeded for the college cup?  selections on nov. 7 ?

They only seed the top 16 teams. Even if they win the Big East tournament I doubt they get a national seed. Big East was down in womens soccer this year. Especially Georgetown.

My first three years there Marquette had an unbelievable team, took a dip for the last couple of years, but it looks like they are back on track now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 04:29:42 PM »
They only seed the top 16 teams. Even if they win the Big East tournament I doubt they get a national seed. Big East was down in womens soccer this year. Especially Georgetown.

My first three years there Marquette had an unbelievable team, took a dip for the last couple of years, but it looks like they are back on track now.

Yeah I was thinking it seems like when the men's team is good the women's team is bad and vice versa. When I was at MU the men's team was the worst in the BE and the women's was good. Then the women's fell off and the men's won the BE. Now it looks like the men's is bad and the women's is good again.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 08:11:21 AM »

What happened is that sonuvabitch Crean welched on his donation for the soccer team.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 08:37:55 AM »
What happened is that sonuvabitch Crean welched on his donation for the soccer team.

Nice try.
Have some patience, FFS.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 11:26:23 PM »
Sjoberg and Bennett both left early I believe which also didnt help.

Sjoberg graduated but still had a year of eligibility left.

Bennett was supposed to be a senior on this year's team.

There's 13 newcomers on this year's men's team, 12 freshman and one sophomore from Spain who had to burn a year of eligibility in the process of coming to the States.  Luka Prpa is going to be Freshman of the Year and an All-Big East First Teamer, even with the likelihood of finishing last.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 11:28:21 PM »

2013 Big East women's soccer title game, Marquette won 2-0 at Valley Fields.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 11:31:50 PM »

Georgetown is ranked #10 in the country with wins over the current #1 and #7 team.  Poll updates on Tuesdays, though.

http://www.nscaa.com/web/Rankings/College_Rankings/NCAA_DI_WOMEN/web/rankings/ncaa/di_women.aspx
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 11:37:49 PM »
Yeah I was thinking it seems like when the men's team is good the women's team is bad and vice versa. When I was at MU the men's team was the worst in the BE and the women's was good. Then the women's fell off and the men's won the BE. Now it looks like the men's is bad and the women's is good again.

Men have won two Big East regular season titles, both came in years when the women also won a regular season title.

They both won Big East tournament titles in 2013.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2016, 10:56:40 AM »
Anyone have the time and how to watch today's game?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2016, 11:50:35 AM »
Novakovich is out on loan, but Reading is overachieving under Jaap Stam so far. He looked raw but talented last year. Really wanted him at Marquette, but as a Reading fan, I'm glad he landed at the Madejski.

Also, props to the women. Great accomplishment and shows a continued upward trend across MU athletics.

Not to nitpick... but Novakovich  is not out on loan.   He is currently the leading scorer for readings under 21 team.  Some health issues briefly set him back or he'd on the first team already.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:00:45 PM by Hold the Ellenson »
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2016, 01:46:44 PM »
Not to nitpick... but Novakovich  is not out on loan.   He is currently the leading scorer for readings under 21 team.  Some health issues briefly set him back or he'd on the first team already.

Thought he was still at Cheltenham. He's had some chances with the first team, though I'm not sure he's ready for that. Reading is in desperate need of a striker right now and if Nova was ready, he'd be given the chance. They have a real chance to be a playoff team this year but I'm not sure Kermogant is the striker to get that job done. Expect Stam to look in the transfer market come January. Doubtful they'll give Nova that shot yet.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 08:46:02 PM »
They are dancing!

Playing Bucky in Madison on Friday night.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/110716aab.html
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback