[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bucks president has some thoughts on Milwaukee  (Read 10528 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Re: Bucks president has some thoughts on Milwaukee
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2016, 03:43:55 PM »
Want to take this discussion in a more MU-centric direction. What will or should be the response should the social activism that Colin Kaepernick, Jabari Parker, etc are engaged in come to Marquette basketball. What if one of Marquette's players wants to knee, sit, or raise a fist during the anthem? How do you think the MU community reacts or how should they react?
Many of us remember just such an action/protest by an MU player: Gary "Goose" Brell used to look down and away from the flag during the playing of the national anthem. As many of us had just come from times when many youth (white and black) protested the vietnam war...Gary's national anthem "protest" caused barely a stir.

http://www.beloitdailynews.com/sports/goose-had-his-own-issues-with-the-national-anthem/article_fdcb4374-7a8f-11e6-a38f-17c395be9823.html

We are in a different era now...and are not recalling of historical protests during the 60s and 70s
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 04:30:44 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2016, 05:03:15 PM »
"Very bluntly, Milwaukee is the most segregated, racist place I’ve ever experienced in my life. It just is a place that is antiquated. It is in desperate need of repair and has happened for a long, long time. One of our messages and one of our goals is to lead by example.”

http://deadspin.com/bucks-president-milwaukee-is-the-most-segregated-rac-1787121559

I guess you could say the same for the NBA: Our own Butch Lee was the first Latino in the league.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_the_NBA
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 05:05:15 PM by muwarrior69 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2016, 05:14:27 PM »
I guess you could say the same for the NBA: Our own Butch Lee was the first Latino in the league.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_the_NBA

Are you saying the NBA refused to sign Latino players on the basis of their ethnicity?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2016, 05:25:21 PM »
Are you saying the NBA refused to sign Latino players on the basis of their ethnicity?

To go a step further on this, are you saying Milwaukee can't be racist because we produced the first Latino NBA player? I just don't see the connection to the OT.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2016, 06:30:10 PM »

Not at all, it was just surprising to see that Butch was the first latino to make the league and it took until 1977 for that to happen. My point as to the OT: just because the NBA is 70+ percent black make it segregated or racist; is the NHL racist; simply based on demographics. I guess racism is in the eye of the beholder.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2016, 07:53:49 PM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2016, 11:51:29 PM »
You're kidding me right? Your argument is if the people of color don't like it they should move? Also not taking into account the radical difference in socio-economic status between different races that could be be barriers to moving. The fact that it would mean leaving friends, family, and community behind. The fact that it is a challenge to be one of the only person who looks like you in a neighborhood which would be a reality in the suburbs.

The answer to an area being racist isn't have all the minorities leave. The answer is for all the racists to stop being racist.

Ok, I'm going to say what many here are afraid to say-they are largely responsible for their own "backyards". Gee, rioting, looting and  burning up your own stores and businesses surely (I know I know) will get your point across.  Not to mention robbing and killing your own neighbors.   Yeah, I'm going to invest and hang my shingle there
don't...don't don't don't don't

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2016, 09:37:54 AM »
Ok, I'm going to say what many here are afraid to say-they are largely responsible for their own "backyards". Gee, rioting, looting and  burning up your own stores and businesses surely (I know I know) will get your point across.  Not to mention robbing and killing your own neighbors.   Yeah, I'm going to invest and hang my shingle there

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2016, 09:39:17 AM »
Not at all, it was just surprising to see that Butch was the first latino to make the league and it took until 1977 for that to happen. My point as to the OT: just because the NBA is 70+ percent black make it segregated or racist; is the NHL racist; simply based on demographics. I guess racism is in the eye of the beholder.

Are you seriously paralleling housing segregation in Milwaukee with NBA and NHL rosters?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2016, 09:57:31 PM »
When you were a child feeling aggrieved by your parents' misunderstanding and iron fist rule, did you ever tear up your room when you were grounded? If so, was it rational? Clear headed? Frustration boiling over at the nearest target? Did your parents shrug their shoulders and not care much since you were destroying your own stuff?

If I did feel agrieved to the point where I tore up my room, I don't remember a specific incident, but if I did, I got my ass kicked and the agrieving left me pretty quickly.  Ya see here golden, there were consequences to my torn up room and they weren't pleasant so the action was not repeated. 

I remember one time I was going to show them and run away from home...no one came looking for me, so I just returned home and no, I didn't proceed to tear up my room, cuz remember what happened last time.

Check out the rap sheets of some of these people.  They are disgustingly long and that's only counting when they are adults, that kiddy stuff, well, I guess it doesn't count, until they kill someone?  No consequences
don't...don't don't don't don't

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2016, 09:31:31 AM »

Are you seriously paralleling housing segregation in Milwaukee with NBA and NHL rosters?

Are you telling me people are banned from living in any neighborhood in Milwaukee? If your talking economics, my monthly expenses to live in my 3100 sq ft home on a half acre lot here in New Jersey would cover the monthly rent of a 1 room studio apartment in Manhattan. I guess segregated housing is in the eye of the beholder.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2016, 09:54:24 AM »
Are you telling me people are banned from living in any neighborhood in Milwaukee? If your talking economics, my monthly expenses to live in my 3100 sq ft home on a half acre lot here in New Jersey would cover the monthly rent of a 1 room studio apartment in Manhattan. I guess segregated housing is in the eye of the beholder.

Overt segregation is largely dead in Milwaukee (though one could find instances if they knew what to look for). However subtle segregation is alive and well in the Milwaukee area. The suburban areas repeatedly fight services and housing opportunities that might afford lower class individuals an opportunity to move into their communities as well as fostering a culture that would make minorities or underprivileged individuals uncomfortable.

Take for instance mortgage generation, the algorithms used to determine if a couple should be given a mortgage have built in biases that prevent low income and minority families from accessing mortgages that are affordable in desirable communities. Certainly some is unintentional because most people don't understand data but that doesn't make it any less impactful.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2016, 11:37:22 AM »
Waukesha county was out of our reach financially so we ended up in Greenfield. Little did I realize then it was racism that forced that decision.

feedback