[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bucks president has some thoughts on Milwaukee  (Read 10526 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Bucks president has some thoughts on Milwaukee
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2016, 01:45:09 PM »
Want to take this discussion in a more MU-centric direction. What will or should be the response should the social activism that Colin Kaepernick, Jabari Parker, etc are engaged in come to Marquette basketball. What if one of Marquette's players wants to knee, sit, or raise a fist during the anthem? How do you think the MU community reacts or how should they react?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2016, 02:00:42 PM »
Want to take this discussion in a more MU-centric direction. What will or should be the response should the social activism that Colin Kaepernick, Jabari Parker, etc are engaged in come to Marquette basketball. What if one of Marquette's players wants to knee, sit, or raise a fist during the anthem? How do you think the MU community reacts or how should they react?

Marquette should allow its student-athletes to take whatever expressive action they feel is appropriate during the national anthem.  Some alumni may get upset, but its the students' right. 
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2016, 02:14:38 PM »
Nobody will be in their seats anyway so no one will see it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2016, 02:29:35 PM »
Marquette should allow its student-athletes to take whatever expressive action they feel is appropriate during the national anthem.  Some alumni may get upset, but its the students' right.

NO, IT IS NOT!!!!!!

The student has rights vis a vi the government. The First Amendment says the government shall make no law abridging freedom of speech... etc.

Marquette is not the government.

Marquette has the right to regulate the behavior of its student athletes as representatives of Marquette, just as my employer would get upset if I said or did something that disparaged the firm or its position. If Marquette deems that it would be offensive to basketball fans to have a bunch of 18 to 22 year old people stick their fist in the air or take a knee, then by all means, it has the right to regulate its student athletes' behavior.

If the student athlete elects not to follow Marquette's rules, then Marquette can remove him from the roster and revoke a scholarship. It's that clear.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2016, 02:30:50 PM »
NO, IT IS NOT!!!!!!

The student has rights vis a vi the government. The First Amendment says the government shall make no law abridging freedom of speech... etc.

Marquette has the right to regulate the behavior of its student athletes as representatives of Marquette, just as my employer would get upset if I said or did something that disparaged the firm or its position. If Marquette deems that it would be offensive to basketball fans to have a bunch of 18 to 22 year old people stick their fist in the air or take a knee, then by all means, it has the right to regulate its student athletes' behavior.

If the student athlete elects not to follow Marquette's rules, then Marquette can remove him from the roster and revoke a scholarship. It's that clear.

You are correct.

But it would be unbelievably stupid to do so.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2016, 02:45:32 PM »

So the only way you can be "part of the solution" is to live in a house on 30th and Cherry?

He is paying his property taxes to the City of Milwaukee and MPS, generating his economic activity in the City, etc.  That is being part of the solution.

Paying taxes is for looooosers and suckers.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2016, 03:26:03 PM »

You are correct.

But it would be unbelievably stupid to do so.

This. Restricting a players free expression is much more damaging than having some grumpy alumni.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2016, 04:12:40 PM »
NO, IT IS NOT!!!!!!

Marquette actually has a policy for such things that allows for and even encourages public demonstrations, so long as they aren't "disruptive or unsafe."
Doesn't say anything about banning demonstrations that offend touchy basketball fans.

p.s. Mark Emmert would like a word with you for likening student-athletes to employees and universities to employers.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 04:14:55 PM by Pakuni »

Badgerhoney

• Walk-On
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2016, 05:15:02 PM »

This is a great question.  With the viral video of Buzz Williams and the national anthem, what do you think Buzz would do? 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4Qz58jMhDDA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4Qz58jMhDDA</a>

Some good discussion here, much more than race going on.  Education, economics also at work.  Considerable dollars have been spent in education, questionable returns in some locations.  The question is why? Desire? Family structure? Poor teachers?  Systemic?

My wife and I are minorities, we do not agree with the current demonstrations. There are better ways.  My wife has already told me she is not with her, regarding her vote selection.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2016, 06:49:29 PM »
This is a great question.  With the viral video of Buzz Williams and the national anthem, what do you think Buzz would do? 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4Qz58jMhDDA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4Qz58jMhDDA</a>

Some good discussion here, much more than race going on.  Education, economics also at work.  Considerable dollars have been spent in education, questionable returns in some locations.  The question is why? Desire? Family structure? Poor teachers?  Systemic?

My wife and I are minorities, we do not agree with the current demonstrations. There are better ways.  My wife has already told me she is not with her, regarding her vote selection.

First part is destroying family connections because of the war on drugs. Biggest waste of money ever that just destroyed the center fabric of inner cities.

As for yours and your partners voting preference, let me quote Jay Cutler when I say "DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!!!!"
But I like to throw handfuls...

reinko

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2016, 06:54:24 PM »

Color me stunned Buzz filmed all of this professionally, and distributed it to anyone reporter willing to write a story on it. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2016, 09:04:34 PM »
Color me stunned Buzz filmed all of this professionally, and distributed it to anyone reporter willing to write a story on it.

This. People are such suckers.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2016, 09:28:14 PM »
NO, IT IS NOT!!!!!!

Not only would this be silly and counterproductive, what if the entire team agreed to do this? Bench 'em all and forfeit the games? Why? Because students at a university were making peaceful attempts at social consciousness?

Yeah, that would be smart.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:55:44 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2016, 09:55:17 PM »
Marquette actually has a policy for such things that allows for and even encourages public demonstrations, so long as they aren't "disruptive or unsafe."
Doesn't say anything about banning demonstrations that offend touchy basketball fans.

p.s. Mark Emmert would like a word with you for likening student-athletes to employees and universities to employers.

Mark Emmert would like me even less if he knew I advocated taxing athletic scholarships on grounds that student athletes are employees. What they are paid is called a barter transaction in the tax world.

As for the demonstrations, I think there are better places to show was displeasure with the policies of government. Like, say, the halls of Congress or in the State Legislature.

P.S. -- I'm not a right wing nutcase. I just think there is a time and a place for everything and I don't think you embarrass your employer.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:57:20 PM by dgies9156 »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2016, 10:01:51 PM »
Mark Emmert would like me even less if he knew I advocated taxing athletic scholarships on grounds that student athletes are employees. What they are paid is called a barter transaction in the tax world.

As for the demonstrations, I think there are better places to show was displeasure with the policies of government. Like, say, the halls of Congress or in the State Legislature.

P.S. -- I'm not a right wing nutcase. I just think there is a time and a place for everything and I don't think you embarrass your employer.

Maybe the don't find it embarrassing? Food for thought.
But I like to throw handfuls...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2016, 10:06:20 PM »

Scholarships up to the cost of attendance are considered tax free income.  Might want to bone up on your tax knowledge.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2016, 10:07:18 PM »

Effective demonstrations are always done in the most proper manner possible. 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2016, 10:18:55 PM »

Scholarships up to the cost of attendance are considered tax free income.  Might want to bone up on your tax knowledge.

I will if you bone up on your English. I merely pointed out that I advocated that the Congress and the IRS take a specific position on athletic scholarships. I did not argue that this is part of the Internal Revenue Code.

The Code may not formally recognize it, but receiving scholarship compensation in return for performing on a basketball court for a university is, in the strictest sense, a barter transaction. Period.

I recognize this is a losing proposition.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 10:20:49 PM by dgies9156 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2016, 06:10:53 AM »
Scholarships of all types come with requirements.  Athletic scholarships are no different.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2016, 07:39:41 AM »
I think we can all agree, if a protest from a basketball should happen Marquette will likely handle it in the worst way possible
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2016, 09:24:03 AM »

First part is destroying family connections because of the war on drugs. Biggest waste of money ever that just destroyed the center fabric of inner cities.

Agree that the war on drugs finished the deal but the Great Society and the war on poverty started it. Beware of war, whether foreign or domestic - lots of casualties.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2016, 09:49:11 AM »
I think we can all agree, if a protest from a basketball should happen Marquette will likely handle it in the worst way possible

no doubt!

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2016, 12:02:26 PM »
Look dude, cities have had similar problems ever since cities have existed.  The idea that this is simply because there is a Democratic mayor is talk show pablum for the WOW counties.

DATA does not fit preconceived belief system.....MUST IGNORE
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2016, 12:06:12 PM »

I would anticipate a prompt name change to the Marquette University Stars and Stripes.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2016, 12:12:48 PM »
I would anticipate a prompt name change to the Marquette University Stars and Stripes.

Followed immediately by a retraction and the initiation of a voting process to select several songs to play before the game that were patriotic but wasn't the national anthem and refusing to count any votes for the national anthem

*hoping everyone realizes I'm trying to make a joke on the nickname disaster.

feedback