[Today at 03:28:57 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by Jay Bee
[Today at 03:22:56 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 02:58:47 PM]

And The New...... by 94Warrior
[Today at 12:16:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA to relocate championships from North Carolina for 2016-17  (Read 11233 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: NCAA to relocate championships from North Carolina for 2016-17
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2016, 12:22:02 AM »
NCAA leadership is a group of university presidents. They tend to care a great deal about the image of their schools both individually and as a group, and they tend to be very inclusive by nature. Sure, even "liberal," for those who like to label everything.

This move by the NCAA was quite predictable, and very well could be followed by the ACC making a similar move, costing NC tens of million$ more as well as more jobs. Political decisions have consequences.

Also, this entire thread should be in the Superbar. It has absolutely nothing to do with Marquette basketball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TilTuesday

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2016, 12:31:23 AM »

The courts will decide.  There are 21 states currently suing the federal gov't.  If those states win, the NCAA is going to have a tough time finding places to have games.

This entire thread shouldn't exist.  Political.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2016, 01:55:58 AM »
I'm all for the decision to play fewer NCAA tourney games in North Carolina.  Politics schmolitics, I don't know why anyone would complain about this move regardless of lean or affiliation.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2016, 05:03:24 AM »
Back door deal, a'iinna?

No offense here, but the back door should be exit only Eyn'a?  Front door, just wipe your, umm, feet
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2016, 05:11:32 AM »
NCAA leadership is a group of university presidents. They tend to care a great deal about the image of their schools both individually and as a group, and they tend to be very inclusive by nature. Sure, even "liberal," for those who like to label everything.

This move by the NCAA was quite predictable, and very well could be followed by the ACC making a similar move, costing NC tens of million$ more as well as more jobs. Political decisions have consequences.

Also, this entire thread should be in the Superbar. It has absolutely nothing to do with Marquette basketball.

I can change that- gee, if Marquette has a game in North Carolina, there is going to be so much confusion at the games...everyone using whichever bathroom and suddenly getting the crap kicked outta ya trying to drop a deuce in the wrong venue?  Poor dude running down the hall with a prairie dog chasin him ducks into the closest closet and finds a couple of biker dudes waiting for him.  Oh well, so much for that experience....umm, clean-up in aisle 7 puhhhlease!   

But when ya think about the Caroline's rule as it stands now, they are leaving less of a carbon footprint with less air travel 'ey?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2016, 06:18:28 AM »

We agree, chicos. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2016, 07:44:05 AM »
I can change that- gee, if Marquette has a game in North Carolina, there is going to be so much confusion at the games...everyone using whichever bathroom and suddenly getting the crap kicked outta ya trying to drop a deuce in the wrong venue?  Poor dude running down the hall with a prairie dog chasin him ducks into the closest closet and finds a couple of biker dudes waiting for him.  Oh well, so much for that experience....umm, clean-up in aisle 7 puhhhlease!   

Yeah...this bolsters your argument.  ::)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2016, 07:55:59 AM »
We agree, chicos.

Strangely enough that was my first reaction, too.  A rather unusual first post.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2016, 11:02:30 AM »

Not his first post.   Do a little digging.   It will become clear. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2016, 11:30:47 AM »
No matter how many times they piss in the punch bowl some people think they should keep being invited back into the party
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2016, 11:33:40 AM »
We agree, chicos. 

Must have finally gotten that WiFi booster installed in the fallout shelter.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2016, 12:39:58 PM »
The Associated Press @AP
BREAKING: ACC follows NCAA lead and pulls athletic championships out of North Carolina amid backlash over bathroom law.

Appears this would include the football championship game, the women's basketball tournament, men's and women's golf championship, men's and women's tennis, softball, swimming and baseball.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:44:13 PM by Pakuni »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2016, 12:54:26 PM »
NCAA should stay out of it-PERIOD

The irony of demanding the NCAA stay out of their own business
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2016, 01:00:42 PM »
The courts will decide.  There are 21 states currently suing the federal gov't.  If those states win, the NCAA is going to have a tough time finding places to have games.

Is your name a nod to the famed and great MU band, Secret Goldfish and their hit "Scream Til Tuesday"?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2016, 01:05:53 PM »
I'm figurin' a typo. Probably meant TitTuesday, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2016, 01:06:07 PM »
The Associated Press @AP
BREAKING: ACC follows NCAA lead and pulls athletic championships out of North Carolina amid backlash over bathroom law.

Appears this would include the football championship game, the women's basketball tournament, men's and women's golf championship, men's and women's tennis, softball, swimming and baseball.

There you have it.

Obviously, the pols here in my adopted state were so naive they thought there would be little to no backlash. They didn't anticipate the jobs leaving, jobs never arriving, events and conventions canceling, CEOs and association directors recoiling, etc.

You pass a law -- in a matter of hours, with zero debate -- that not only legalizes but encourages discrimination. And then you act like it's everybody else's fault when CEOs, university presidents and others who value inclusion take their companies and events elsewhere. It's "political correctness run amok," because political correctness somehow is the opposite of blatant discrimination. In reality, it's a perfect example of "let the market decide."

This really was a classic case of cutting off the nose to spite the face by NC's lawmakers and governor.

And for what? A symbolic, unenforceable, obviously discriminatory law.

As an NC resident who likes having major events in my city and state, and who certainly doesn't like seeing high-paying jobs leave, I get no satisfaction out of this at all. I am ashamed to have elected "leaders" who act the way they do.

If that's too political ... well ... this is a political thread. So let me be the first to say:

In before the lock.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:08:09 PM by MU82 »

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2016, 01:41:41 PM »

Why?  They are a private organization.  They can do what they want.

This.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2016, 01:52:50 PM »
Perfectly said MU82
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

source?

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »
There you have it.

Obviously, the pols here in my adopted state were so naive they thought there would be little to no backlash. They didn't anticipate the jobs leaving, jobs never arriving, events and conventions canceling, CEOs and association directors recoiling, etc.

You pass a law -- in a matter of hours, with zero debate -- that not only legalizes but encourages discrimination. And then you act like it's everybody else's fault when CEOs, university presidents and others who value inclusion take their companies and events elsewhere. It's "political correctness run amok," because political correctness somehow is the opposite of blatant discrimination. In reality, it's a perfect example of "let the market decide."

This really was a classic case of cutting off the nose to spite the face by NC's lawmakers and governor.

And for what? A symbolic, unenforceable, obviously discriminatory law.

As an NC resident who likes having major events in my city and state, and who certainly doesn't like seeing high-paying jobs leave, I get no satisfaction out of this at all. I am ashamed to have elected "leaders" who act the way they do.

If that's too political ... well ... this is a political thread. So let me be the first to say:

In before the lock.

Probably the best description I have heard is "a solution searching for a problem that doesn't exist, championed by a few to the detriment of many."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2016, 04:07:41 PM »
Probably the best description I have heard is "a solution searching for a problem that doesn't exist, championed by a few to the detriment of many."

Well stated.

Here in Charlotte, we keep hearing stories about transgender men - people who were born female but now identify as male. They look, talk and act like men, and many have facial hair. Yet according to HB2, they HAVE TO use the ladies room. It's farcical.

Unemployment is near an all-time low here in NC, taxes have been reduced (kind of; fees have been raised), teacher pay is up so now we're at least ahead of Mississippi and a few other bottom-feeders, more people are moving into the state than moving out, salaries are going up (albeit slowly), there is a budget surplus. Given all of that, the governor should win re-election in a landslide. But he has tied his fate to HB2 and a few other unpopular, unnecessary social policies, and he trails fairly significantly in the polls.

Anyway, back to the original point of the thread ...

For all the reasons stated earlier by myself and others, I seriously doubt there will be major implications for Duke, UNC or college basketball as a whole. The only major "victims" here are NC basketball fans and businesses that rely on big events to bolster their bottom lines.

The NCAA and ACC had the kind of protest that usually turns out to be most effective -- a protest with their wallets.

Far more effective than Kaepernick's. (Although I defend his right to stage his protest, too.)

brandx

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2016, 04:19:05 PM »

Especially so, if the other 29 states secede. :-\

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2016, 07:28:28 PM »
   Is this REALLY about bathrooms?  Come on guys, you're all smarter than that. trees, forest, forest, trees

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2016, 07:38:37 PM »
   Is this REALLY about bathrooms?  Come on guys, you're all smarter than that. trees, forest, forest, trees

You're right.  It's about anti-gay bigotry.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2016, 10:03:10 PM »
Arguments that the NCAA needs to stay out of this are mind-boggling.  All the time you have private corporations that donate money to influence politicians - Republicans never seem to mind that. 

All-in-all, in a capitalist-society, bigotry actions are punished.  As they should.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2016, 10:25:48 PM »
The Associated Press @AP

#donedeal

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17547270/acc-moving-neutral-site-championship-games-north-carolina-due-hb2

feedback