collapse

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Where would Marquette athletics be had it not dropped football in 1960?

Scholarship football school.  A member of a "Power 5" conference.
3 (5.1%)
Scholarship football school.  A member of a lesser conference.
7 (11.9%)
Non-Scholarship football school similar to Butler.  No impact on basketball.
11 (18.6%)
Football would have been dropped later due to financial pressures with no impact on basketball.
9 (15.3%)
Football would have been dropped later and use of resources would have negatively impacted basketball.
23 (39%)
I have no idea.  But I like voting on things!
6 (10.2%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Where would Marquette athletics be had it not dropped football in 1960?  (Read 11500 times)

forgetful

• All American
Re: Where would Marquette athletics be had it not dropped football in 1960?
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2016, 04:31:12 PM »
Thanks, our place is in the north, Italy has its issues with earthquakes and volcanos.

MIT and Johnson Hopkins have Div.  3 football.  What schools do we consider our peers?

Buffalo and Idaho have Div. 1 football.  Small schools like Quinnipac and Providence are very successful with Div 1 hockey.

Long past time to get out of the big time football mentality.

Most definitely not MIT and Johns Hopkins.  MU views their peer institutions as:

Notre Dame, Boston College, Georgetown, Saint Louis, Holy Cross and Fordham. 

Like most Universities, they include Universities in their "peers" that are more aspirational Universities, e.g. Notre Dame (don't shoot the messenger, but their endowment is over 15x larger than MU), Georgetown and BC.

If we want to be honest, swap those three out with Boston University, Southern Methodist and George Washington University.

Aspirational Universities are likely, Brandeis, Carnegie Mellon, Emory, Vanderbilt, USC.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 04:34:35 PM by forgetful »

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2016, 05:40:37 PM »
Most definitely not MIT and Johns Hopkins.  MU views their peer institutions as:

Notre Dame, Boston College, Georgetown, Saint Louis, Holy Cross and Fordham. 

Like most Universities, they include Universities in their "peers" that are more aspirational Universities, e.g. Notre Dame (don't shoot the messenger, but their endowment is over 15x larger than MU), Georgetown and BC.

If we want to be honest, swap those three out with Boston University, Southern Methodist and George Washington University.

Aspirational Universities are likely, Brandeis, Carnegie Mellon, Emory, Vanderbilt, USC.

Not familiar with the term "Aspirational University", definition please?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2016, 06:14:33 PM »
Not familiar with the term "Aspirational University", definition please?

Universities in their strategic plans usually define two groups of Universities:

Peer institutions are similar like minded institutions with similar goals and qualities. 

Aspirational Universities are those universities that the "aspire" to become like as a result of the strategic plan. 

Typically they spend a small fortune on outside consultants to evaluate their programs and those of aspirational institutions to develop a plan on how to achieve these goals.

The end result is the same.  It takes investing money in education and research.  They then promptly through out all those ideas and say we need to grow our endowment. 

Peer/Aspirational/Consulting is a colossal waste of resources...but that is for a completely different topic.  Just wanted to provide an answer to who MU considers its peers.  Note, that of the peer institutions we have the smallest Endowment. 

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2016, 11:12:12 AM »
Universities in their strategic plans usually define two groups of Universities:

Peer institutions are similar like minded institutions with similar goals and qualities. 

Aspirational Universities are those universities that the "aspire" to become like as a result of the strategic plan. 

Typically they spend a small fortune on outside consultants to evaluate their programs and those of aspirational institutions to develop a plan on how to achieve these goals.

The end result is the same.  It takes investing money in education and research.  They then promptly through out all those ideas and say we need to grow our endowment. 

Peer/Aspirational/Consulting is a colossal waste of resources...but that is for a completely different topic.  Just wanted to provide an answer to who MU considers its peers.  Note, that of the peer institutions we have the smallest Endowment.

Thank you, you sound like you know what you are talking about.

I accumulated credits at George Washington and NYU and find Div. 1 football schools, for the most part, not to my liking.   I think we have a lot of ND want-a-bees who have developed a love hate relationship with that particular institution, an obsession if you will.

The world has gone beyond national universities, now we have international universities and we need to broaden our perspective.

Put me in the camp that does not aspire to spend fall Saturdays tailgating at Div. 1 football games, hay, to each his/her own. 

I like your short list of aspirational universities, I think that is a subject worth discussing.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2016, 11:19:04 AM »
The only thing standing in the way of Marquette having a competitive Div. 3 football team is ego.

Oh, and the Packers, ND, and the Badgers.

In the early 60's it was discussed, but the discussion never went anywhere....now it is not even discussed. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2016, 03:38:02 PM »
The only thing standing in the way of Marquette having a competitive Div. 3 football team is ego.

And NCAA rules.  (No longer can you be D3 in football while the rest of the sports are in D1.)

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2016, 04:29:27 PM »

And NCAA rules.  (No longer can you be D3 in football while the rest of the sports are in D1.)

Damn the NCAA, always trying to keep the man down.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2016, 09:25:45 PM »
C'mon now ... could MU's defense have been any worse than Notre Dame's was last night?

It's always fun to watch my favorite college team* win.

(*Whoever is playing ND.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2016, 04:38:26 PM »

That sounds logical, you can have one Division 1 team, like golf or hockey, but you can't have one Div. 3 team.

I wonder what each SCOOPER has against ND.  My resentment goes back to Al who would not play them because of the $$  split when they wanted to come to Milwaukee.  We would get a minor percent of the gate at home because they thought they were a big draw and in South Bend, we got to keep a larger percent of the gate which was mostly cheap student tickets.

That's just for openers.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2016, 07:05:31 AM »

I wonder what each SCOOPER has against ND.  My resentment goes back to Al who would not play them because of the $$  split when they wanted to come to Milwaukee.  We would get a minor percent of the gate at home because they thought they were a big draw and in South Bend, we got to keep a larger percent of the gate which was mostly cheap student tickets.

That's just for openers.

They're ND, that's why!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2016, 11:41:57 AM »

40 some years later, Marquette University still regrets graduating 4ever, who has been a perpetual drag on the Endowment.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2016, 11:33:54 AM »

Villanova,  among many universities, apparently complete in Division-1-AA. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2016, 11:38:37 AM »
Villanova,  among many universities, apparently complete in Division-1-AA. 

Right.  You can compete in FCS (new D1AA) as a non-scholarship school too.  Butler does that.  And starting this year the conference champion of the two non-scholarship conferences will get an auto invite to the FCS playoffs - and will promptly get smashed.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2016, 12:06:40 PM »
Right.  You can compete in FCS (new D1AA) as a non-scholarship school too.  Butler does that.  And starting this year the conference champion of the two non-scholarship conferences will get an auto invite to the FCS playoffs - and will promptly get smashed.

On the East Coast Div. 3 and Div. 1-AA are very popular and "delete" universities compete in them.

Back in the 1960's Al was very opposed to joining an all catholic basketball league and did everything he could to maintain our independent status.  Now in the 21st century, by a very long and crooked path, we find ourselves in a nearly all catholic league. 

Who knows what football will look like in 50 years? 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2016, 12:31:13 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "delete" University?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2016, 12:47:46 PM »
Its the French word for chitty, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2016, 02:19:24 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "delete" University?
I have a fat finger, and a tablet with its own mind and a mind which is slipping.  Thanks for pointing out my limitations, I hope you got the point, oh well, what difference does it make?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2016, 03:05:53 PM »
Honestly, I actually thought "delete" might be a portmanteau of "degenerate" and "elite" (or something thereabouts). 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2016, 04:00:40 PM »
I have a fat finger, and a tablet with its own mind and a mind which is slipping.  Thanks for pointing out my limitations, I hope you got the point, oh well, what difference does it make?

How dare you talk to us plebes in that manner. You deletist.

feedback