2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Considering Helping ND Student. Seriously.  (Read 5991 times)

Mug Rack

• Walk-On
Considering Helping ND Student. Seriously.
« on: August 23, 2016, 05:43:19 PM »
See the attached for an amazing story about an incredible hoops player from UTEP.  Some people at my firm are mentoring her and have only great things to say.  (One of the pictures at the link was taken on the roof of my office building.)

https://www.gofundme.com/supportcameasha

Benny B

• All American
Re: Considering Helping ND Student. Seriously.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »
I'm going to be paying upwards of $1000/month for my wife's law school debt - which, as I understand, was mostly incurred as a result of "personal expenses" - for another 28 years and this one wants a handout?

Guess what... you want to be a public defender, then you're in the perfect situation. Take out a bunch of Direct Loans and the govt will forgive them after 10 years of public defense work.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 09:49:28 PM »
I'm going to be paying upwards of $1000/month for my wife's law school debt - which, as I understand, was mostly incurred as a result of "personal expenses" - for another 28 years and this one wants a handout?

Guess what... you want to be a public defender, then you're in the perfect situation. Take out a bunch of Direct Loans and the govt will forgive them after 10 years of public defense work.

Couldn't agree more.  Great story on how she got here.  I got three in college and no one is paying our loans but us. 

Take out a loan, and pay it back.  That's what the rest of us do. 

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 10:07:02 PM »
I hate this new trend of Internet panhandling.

I've only given to one cause...a 3-legged dog that almost became a 2-legged dog. There is no more worthy cause

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 07:18:38 AM »

Yep. My fiance and I are currently banking on this program. Of course it could get cut at any time.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 07:58:36 AM »
Yep. My fiance and I are currently banking on this program. Of course it could get cut at any time.

I'm fascinated by this program. My wife is in line to have her loans forgiven next year as a result of it. Not that I can't find plenty to do with the money that will be freed up but we would seem to be about the last people that need to benefit from a free government program like that. I'd be curious to see what bracket benefits the most from this.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 08:28:44 AM »
I'm fascinated by this program. My wife is in line to have her loans forgiven next year as a result of it. Not that I can't find plenty to do with the money that will be freed up but we would seem to be about the last people that need to benefit from a free government program like that. I'd be curious to see what bracket benefits the most from this.

I would say that there are plenty from all brackets who benefit. I would guess that there are more jobs that qualify in lower brackets but I would also guess that a lot of those jobs don't require college degrees and they're is probably more ignorance of the program.
TAMU

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 08:44:34 AM »
I would say that there are plenty from all brackets who benefit. I would guess that there are more jobs that qualify in lower brackets but I would also guess that a lot of those jobs don't require college degrees and they're is probably more ignorance of the program.

I guess I don't track what you're saying....how would the program impact anyone that didn't have a college degree?

I do agree that I think there are probably a fair number of people that don't know about the program.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 09:26:54 AM »
Life's a bitch, ai na? Reminds me of da weddin' invite I got from a High school classmate some years back. It read "gifts accepted, money preferred."
All in all, I'll bet folks are gonna have mercy on her ass and throw a chit load of bread her way, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 09:31:33 AM »
She's already raised $7,500.  More power to her.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 09:32:08 AM »
Life's a bitch, ai na? Reminds me of da weddin' invite I got from a High school classmate some years back. It read "gifts accepted, money preferred."
All in all, I'll bet folks are gonna have mercy on her ass and throw a chit load of bread her way, hey?

Funny you bring up weddings and money.  I heard a story from a coworker where she responded that she would be attending the wedding and had a family issue come up that caused her to miss the wedding.  She received an invoice in the mail for the dinner cost.  Crazy.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 09:44:50 AM »
Funny you bring up weddings and money.  I heard a story from a coworker where she responded that she would be attending the wedding and had a family issue come up that caused her to miss the wedding.  She received an invoice in the mail for the dinner cost.  Crazy.

I've heard stories like that before and find them somewhat hard to believe. Unless it's a really small reception, the bride and groom likely wouldn't even know who RSVP'd yes but didn't show.

That said, the best person to invite to a wedding is one who will RSVP "No." They'll send a gift but you won't have to pay for their meal. Win-win!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 09:47:07 AM »
She's already raised $7,500.  More power to her.

Agreed. My initial thought was that she has a nice story but she needs to deal with her costs and loans just like anyone else...then I realized that if she asks for money and people give it to her, who am I to tell her not to take it? Maybe the rest of us have just been doing it wrong!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 09:54:59 AM »
I've heard stories like that before and find them somewhat hard to believe. Unless it's a really small reception, the bride and groom likely wouldn't even know who RSVP'd yes but didn't show.

That said, the best person to invite to a wedding is one who will RSVP "No." They'll send a gift but you won't have to pay for their meal. Win-win!

I couldn't believe it either.  But that's a good point on inviting the people you know will not be able to attend.  ;D
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
Agreed. My initial thought was that she has a nice story but she needs to deal with her costs and loans just like anyone else...then I realized that if she asks for money and people give it to her, who am I to tell her not to take it? Maybe the rest of us have just been doing it wrong!

It's a solid point, maybe we're the suckers because we have tried to virtually panhandle our way out of debt.

There was meant to be a minimal amount of snark in that statement.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 11:52:42 AM »

Unless married to a spouse is making over $100k, we're probably talking the 25% bracket in the vast majority of cases.  The "public interest lawyers" who are the target beneficiary of the program typically make in the neighborhood of $50,000-60,000 in urban areas and $30,000-50,000 in rural areas.  Some may make a little more or less, but we're definitely not talking about private-practice attorneys who are doing a little pro bono on the side.

Also, keep in mind if you're graduating in the top 10% of your class from Notre Dame, you're not going into public defense.  If this cat is as intelligent and persistent as her record indicates, there's absolutely no way she's going to spurn an offer from Sidley Austin or Baker & McKenzie to make $175-190k/year to shuffle around jails and courthouses to make as much as a McDonald's store manager.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 12:20:14 PM »
Unless married to a spouse is making over $100k, we're probably talking the 25% bracket in the vast majority of cases.  The "public interest lawyers" who are the target beneficiary of the program typically make in the neighborhood of $50,000-60,000 in urban areas and $30,000-50,000 in rural areas.  Some may make a little more or less, but we're definitely not talking about private-practice attorneys who are doing a little pro bono on the side.

Right, but the program applies to more than just lawyers, if you work at a non-profit health care provider full time you qualify for loan forgiveness including doctors who could easily be making $200k depending on their speciality. Yes they've likely taken on a lot of debt to get to that point, but presumably means they have the ability to repay the loans.

Further, there is a clause in the program that requires you both work full time AND have made continuous payments on your debt for 10 years. Those most likely to need the program are the most likely to not qualify for the program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 12:26:59 PM »
I guess I don't track what you're saying....how would the program impact anyone that didn't have a college degree?

I do agree that I think there are probably a fair number of people that don't know about the program.

My basic point was that many jobs that qualify for the program don't require a college degree. For example, the janitorial staff at a public university qualify for this program (assuming they aren't a third party contractor). Most of them probably don't have college loan debt. But if I decided to become one, I would still qualify for the program.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 12:30:34 PM »
Right, but the program applies to more than just lawyers, if you work at a non-profit health care provider full time you qualify for loan forgiveness including doctors who could easily be making $200k depending on their speciality. Yes they've likely taken on a lot of debt to get to that point, but presumably means they have the ability to repay the loans.

Further, there is a clause in the program that requires you both work full time AND have made continuous payments on your debt for 10 years. Those most likely to need the program are the most likely to not qualify for the program.

University administrators also qualify and we message a lot less than layers and doctors. I believe public school teachers can also apply
TAMU

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 12:42:41 PM »
I hate this new trend of Internet panhandling.

I've only given to one cause...a 3-legged dog that almost became a 2-legged dog. There is no more worthy cause

Dog named sparky?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 01:48:49 PM »

I think we're talking about different programs, but the concept is the same.  I had thought there may be an income cap on the public interest law forgiveness but not 100% sure... I can't speak to any other loan-forgiveness programs out there.  You may be right in that there could be doctors making six figures taking loan forgiveness.... if there are any public interest attorneys out there making six figures, they're most likely anomalies.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 02:46:08 PM »
Could someone explain why there is program to forgive loans (or even grant loans in the first place) for people graduating from programs that too many people are graduating from to begin with? 
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 04:04:26 PM »
Could someone explain why there is program to forgive loans (or even grant loans in the first place) for people graduating from programs that too many people are graduating from to begin with?

Because certain "public interest/welfare" jobs - particularly those of state or local gov'ts (though not always) - are severely under-served.  For example, prosecutors, public defenders, nurses, social workers, etc. are in very high demand in some areas, mostly because of either a) geography (i.e. extremely rural areas) and/or b) competition within the job sector (e.g. gov't nurses & attorneys can make as little as 25% of their counterparts in the private sector).

The loan forgiveness programs are meant to attract those people who want to be public servants who otherwise couldn't afford to due to student debt.  It's not meant to be an incentive program for those who work in certain professions (i.e. to attract more people to the profession), and they're typically not available unless you have Direct Loans (i.e. Federally-backed loans; those with "private" student loans are not eligible).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 04:05:57 PM by Benny B »

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 04:17:35 PM »

I guess it depends on your definition of small, but my wedding was 180 RSVPs and my wife knew instantly the 6 people who didn't attend and I can guarantee you she will remember 40 years from now. She wasn't even a bridezilla but some people think this is an unforgivable offense

Also, keep in mind if you're graduating in the top 10% of your class from Notre Dame, you're not going into public defense.  If this cat is as intelligent and persistent as her record indicates, there's absolutely no way she's going to spurn an offer from Sidley Austin or Baker & McKenzie to make $175-190k/year to shuffle around jails and courthouses to make as much as a McDonald's store manager.

And if that's the case, why is she asking for money. Pay it off in the first year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 04:19:30 PM »
And if that's the case, why is she asking for money. Pay it off in the first year.

Because people are giving it to her.

feedback