[Today at 10:42:37 AM]

NM by 4everwarriors
[Today at 10:37:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:15:40 AM]

MU all-time defensive team? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:44:45 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Reinhardt as leading scorer?  (Read 9862 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
Reinhardt as leading scorer?
« on: July 12, 2016, 01:25:12 PM »
Not sure there has been much discussion about Katin's impact on next year's team, so I pulled his numbers from the past few seasons:

2015-16 @ USC: 11.4 ppg, 18 starts. .373 from 3
2014-15 @ USC: 12.5 ppg, 22 starts, .386 from 3, leading scorer 9 times
2012-13 @ UNLV: 10.1 ppg, 34 starts, .351 from 3

Over a 1,000 career points already.

While I think JJJ will ultimately lead the team in scoring, Katin is going to be a very nice offensive piece either as a starter or 1st off the bench.  Definitely will be an impact player this year.  Another great transfer add for Wojo and staff.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/katin_reinhardt_1016337.html
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61906/katin-reinhardt
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Reinhardt as leading scorer?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 01:26:59 PM »
Any of Katin, Cheatham, JJJ, Luke, or Rowsey could lead the team in scoring.  Offense won't be the issue.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 01:37:04 PM »
I've said it before, Reinhardt would have been the 2nd best player on our team last season (3rd once JJJ went all beast mode at the end). We have every reason to expect that Reinhardt will be one of our top players and scorers this season.

Wades is right though, offense is going to be great. Defense and rebounding are more suspect.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 01:42:46 PM »
Here is a 30 minute highlight clip of Reinhardt. I think he and JJJ are going to be an excellent combo . There will be a virtuous circle of their combination of slashing and outside shooting.  Reinhardt is also an excellent free throw shooter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQTxQvJ897U
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 01:50:17 PM »
did he have some injuries (18 starts) or just not start on USC every game last year?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 01:53:48 PM »
Any of Katin, Cheatham, JJJ, Luke, or Rowsey could lead the team in scoring.  Offense won't be the issue.

Sadly, I'm skeptical that Luke will be that threat.  On the plus side, he's thee guy inside, not having to share touches with Henry.  Also, the interior should open up with improved team outside shooting. 

On the negative side, I just don't see him asserting himself the way he would need to to lead the team in scoring and there is always the foul trouble issue.

With JJJ, I kinda see it the same way, if he was that type of player we would have seen more of it by now.  He'll have his days, but not be consistent enough to lead the team.  He was second to Henry in SOTG wins with 4, though.

Rowsey's done it before, but against a whole different level of competition and with less competition from his teammates for shots, and he'll have tough competition for floor time at the point guard spot.

My best guess is that instead of a from the start points leader, there will be a group of three players who will be grouped close together for most of the year with the actual leader even changing from time to time.

Maybe a surprise from Howard or even Hauser?  I'll all depend on readiness to defend and ability to hit their shot against the step up in competition.  Things that hopefully Howard will be in a good position to handle given his USA Basketball experience.

Regarding Reinhardt, how much will his rebounding improve?  And how much of a lack of rebounding can Wojo accept?  From what I've heard, defense shouldn't be an issue, and perhaps even a plus given his versitility to guard different positions.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 01:57:28 PM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 02:09:31 PM »
Sadly, I'm skeptical that Luke will be that threat.  On the plus side, he's thee guy inside, not having to share touches with Henry.  Also, the interior should open up with improved team outside shooting. 

On the negative side, I just don't see him asserting himself the way he would need to to lead the team in scoring and there is always the foul trouble issue.

With JJJ, I kinda see it the same way, if he was that type of player we would have seen more of it by now.  He'll have his days, but not be consistent enough to lead the team.  He was second to Henry in SOTG wins with 4, though.

Rowsey's done it before, but against a whole different level of competition and with less competition from his teammates for shots, and he'll have tough competition for floor time at the point guard spot.

My best guess is that instead of a from the start points leader, there will be a group of three players who will be grouped close together for most of the year with the actual leader even changing from time to time.

Maybe a surprise from Howard or even Hauser?  I'll all depend on readiness to defend and ability to hit their shot against the step up in competition.  Things that hopefully Howard will be in a good position to handle given his USA Basketball experience.

Regarding Reinhardt, how much will his rebounding improve?  And how much of a lack of rebounding can Wojo accept?  From what I've heard, defense shouldn't be an issue, and perhaps even a plus given his versitility to guard different positions.

If Katin was told he won't be guarding bigger players, he was blatantly lied to. Someone on this team is going to need to develop into our gunner from deep. TBD who that's going to be, but I wouldn't bet against Katin.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 02:27:40 PM »

I think JJJ is going to have a big senior year in comparison to the rest of his career. He definitely was doing well at the end of the year and that was against Big East competition.  I am assuming both JJJ and Reinhardt start along with Cheatham, which brings up the question who does not start? It could be Fischer, if his elbow becomes an issue, but hopefully that is not a problem. That means either Wilson or Carter does not start. Is Wojo done trying to make a point guard out of Cheatham?

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 03:03:26 PM »
I think JJJ is going to have a big senior year in comparison to the rest of his career. He definitely was doing well at the end of the year and that was against Big East competition.  I am assuming both JJJ and Reinhardt start along with Cheatham, which brings up the question who does not start? It could be Fischer, if his elbow becomes an issue, but hopefully that is not a problem. That means either Wilson or Carter does not start. Is Wojo done trying to make a point guard out of Cheatham?

You be wrong if you thinks Fischer ain't starting. Wouldn't be surprised if neither Wilson nor Carter start, provided that Howard is good enough to run the point from day 1 (I think he is). Think you're probably right with HC, JJ, and Reinhardt in the 2, 3, and 3.5 spots.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 03:11:41 PM »
You be wrong if you thinks Fischer ain't starting. Wouldn't be surprised if neither Wilson nor Carter start, provided that Howard is good enough to run the point from day 1 (I think he is). Think you're probably right with HC, JJ, and Reinhardt in the 2, 3, and 3.5 spots.

Howard ain't gonna start. We're not gonna run with a freshman PG 2 years in a row.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 03:15:04 PM »

Carter will start at point.  Howard will get plenty of time but IMO will be off the ball.  Not sure he starts.  Time will tell.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 04:03:27 PM »
Howard ain't gonna start. We're not gonna run with a freshman PG 2 years in a row.

Maybe not right away, but I think it will become pretty evident who the better ball player is by early January. I like Traci. Bout the only guy on the squad with any swagger last season. Does some dumb stuff though. So many entry passes that went out of bounds or to the other team. Should be better at that now. Mediocre 3pt shooter at best (save the Butler game), and Wojo clearly values shooting. I'll happily be proven wrong though.

I probably haven't watched enough of Howard to critique him like I can critique Traci, but I'm hesitantly hopping on the Jay Bee train and going all in on Markus.

Sultan has a point that he can play off the ball, and he will at times. I just think his future on this team is at the PG spot, and as such he will get plenty of run there.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 04:25:51 PM »
Carter will be a steadying leader on this team.  He was already the vocal leader of the team last year as a freshman.  He's going to be much better with the added 3 point shooting around him this year.  And he'll be a menace defensively, especially knowing that we have depth this year in the event that he does get into foul trouble.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 05:12:03 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 04:36:54 PM »
Howard will be a steadying leader on this team.  He was already the vocal leader of the team last year as a freshman.  He's going to be much better with the added 3 point shooting around him this year.  And he'll be a menace defensively, especially knowing that we have depth this year in the even that he does get into foul trouble.

You mean Carter not Howard?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 05:11:19 PM »
You mean Carter not Howard?

Yup, whoops!

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 06:04:10 PM »
I think Haanif's days as a point guard are pretty much over.

Carter, Howard and Rowsey will fight it out for those minutes. Howard and Rowsey will likely see time off the ball as well.

Don't think we will be a pg dominant offense this year with our personnel. Lots of guys will be able to facilitate and 3 or 4 of them will be on the court at all times.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 06:04:49 PM »

Carter will start at point.  Howard will get plenty of time but IMO will be off the ball.  Not sure he starts.  Time will tell.

Any guess on PT breakout between Carter and Rowsey?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 06:49:53 PM »
Any guess on PT breakout between Carter and Rowsey?

There are just so many interchangeable parts on this team and so many new guys that it is hard to tell.

I think Luke is the post and gets 30 mpg.  I think Carter is the point and gets 25.

That's when it gets difficult.  Is Rowsey a better option than Howard at point?  Is Howard as good as advertised?  Does Duane improve after leveling off sophomore year?  Was JJJ's play at the end of last year a sign of things to come or just a blip?  Is Reinhardt going to make a big difference?  Sam?  Sandy?  Where is Sacar exactly?

I think Wojo probably has a plan.  I also think he realizes that plan can change pretty quickly.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 07:04:07 PM »

I said Fischer would not start, if his elbow was a problem. In other words he starts unless he is hurt.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 07:48:10 PM »

I said Fischer would not start, if his elbow was a problem. In other words he starts unless he is hurt.

So you shoulda said, if Fisher is unable to play.

If he plays, he starts.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 07:58:18 PM »
We will probably beat the rodents by double digits   if true,  does it mean the big ten sit 's or that we are that good?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 09:55:35 PM »
We will probably beat the rodents by double digits   if true,  does it mean the big ten sit 's or that we are that good?

Reinhardt is new, so by definition he is that good, at least until the first game, after that all bets are off.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 11:15:45 PM »
This may not be the starting lineup but I think the 5 players with the most minutes will be:

Rowsey
Cheatham
JJJ
Reinhardt
Luke

I think Howard, Duane, Carter, and Sandy will end up with double digit minutes. Heldt gets whatever minutes Luke can't be on the floor. I'm not yet convinced that Hauser and Anim will be ready this season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 11:34:33 PM »
I really think people are overthinking this "getting minutes at point guard" thing.

Since Wojo was hired, I've heard reference "no positions, just guards" for both MU and Duke a number of times.  If Carter, Rowsey, Howard, Cheatham, and Wilson are all legitimate options as ball handlers, then they'll all get minutes in various combinations.

Sure, Wojo probably has a preference on who he wants on the floor.  That might change as the season goes on.  That might change as a particular game goes on.  Having options is good.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 11:36:23 PM »
Not sure there has been much discussion about Katin's impact on next year's team, so I pulled his numbers from the past few seasons:

2015-16 @ USC: 11.4 ppg, 18 starts. .373 from 3
2014-15 @ USC: 12.5 ppg, 22 starts, .386 from 3, leading scorer 9 times
2012-13 @ UNLV: 10.1 ppg, 34 starts, .351 from 3

Over a 1,000 career points already.

While I think JJJ will ultimately lead the team in scoring, Katin is going to be a very nice offensive piece either as a starter or 1st off the bench.  Definitely will be an impact player this year.  Another great transfer add for Wojo and staff.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/katin_reinhardt_1016337.html
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61906/katin-reinhardt

I find it funny that we have people talking about Reinhardt being the leading scorer and others talking about how Duane Wilson won't start/doesn't perform.  For those keeping track at home:

Duane Wilson

2014-15  11.9 pts  35.5% 3 pt
2015-16  11.6 pts  34.6% 3 pt  (while presumably injured)

He also has to outplay Cheatham

2015-16  11.8 pts  38.7% 3 pt  (as a freshman)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 11:38:10 PM by forgetful »