collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Chat Auto-Censoring

Turn it off!
11 (45.8%)
Leave it on.  No need for that language.
13 (54.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Chat  (Read 26467 times)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Chat
« on: November 29, 2006, 11:56:55 AM »
Get rid of the filter in the chat room. I am sick of seeing (%*)&((&**(%*()#)*(
But I like to throw handfuls...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Chat
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 12:57:29 PM »
I agree.  We're all adults and if want to drop f-bombs, no one's ears will break.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 09:24:31 AM »
I added a poll (see above).  I really don't care either way, so I'm gonna' leave this one to the popular vote.  I'll make the change (or not) based on that.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 09:43:35 AM »
I added a poll (see above).  I really don't care either way, so I'm gonna' leave this one to the popular vote.  I'll make the change (or not) based on that.

ahh.. democracy at it's finest.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 09:53:51 AM »
I agree.  We're all adults and if want to drop f-bombs, no one's ears will break.
My son is nine.  He hasn't been on here much yet, but I'm indoctrinating him (as is my sacred obligation) and he's becoming a pretty big fan.  I'd really rather not have to worry about what he'll see if he decides he wants to visit this board -- because he sees me on here a bit.  I think the fact that "we're all adults" (while perhaps not even true) could also support the proposition that we can just tolerate the *%$@!.  Even though there are probably few (if any) kids on this site, I'd just assume that it stay "kid safe."

Now, get the #%*#! off my lawn!
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 10:25:39 AM »
I am only wanting this in the game day chats. For the boards, keep the filters on. Durring the games though, my expressions are a little more - how do you say this, animated at time.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 10:38:46 AM »
I am only wanting this in the game day chats. For the boards, keep the filters on. Durring the games though, my expressions are a little more - how do you say this, animated at time.

No problem -- make your animated expressions.  But does it really make that much of a difference if your animated expression appears on my screen as %*#!#@!  You still get the cathartic experience of typing @$@&*!#@!

Again, I think it's unlikely that my son (or any other young kids) will be in one of those chats -- so this really isn't a big issue for me.  I guess my initial point (which I probably didn't make very well) is that the comment "we're all adults" is an assumption that might, or might not, be correct.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 10:56:27 AM »
Gotta learn sometime. I learned most of mine sitting in the bleachers of County Stadium around the age of 9.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 12:09:37 PM »
I learned most of my good cuss words from my old man.  And ask my friends, I learned alot and very well.   :-X

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 12:16:46 PM »
My son is nine. 

What better way to learn the f-word, than when it's followed by Duke. ;D

Seriously, I voted to allow cussing, but if it would prevent "future alumns" from being allowed to participate, filtering wouldn't bother me.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 12:22:21 PM »
What better way to learn the f-word, than when it's followed by Duke. ;D

You said "Duke"!  What the hell?  I thought there was a filter to keep this kind of garbage off the site.  Thank goodness my son didn't see that.

Can we get a moderator in here?!!

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 12:27:51 PM »
You said "Duke"!  What the hell?  I thought there was a filter to keep this kind of garbage off the site.  Thank goodness my son didn't see that.
Can we get a moderator in here?!!

Consider yourself moderated StillAWarrior.  I'm disappointed you exclaimed that dirty word.  Try to redeem yourself.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 01:08:55 PM »
My apologies.  I didn't realize I couldn't use D&#e.

I thought we we're just talking about blocking F*@k, S?!t, and W@elful.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 01:15:06 PM »
My apologies.  I didn't realize I couldn't use D&#e.

I thought we we're just talking about blocking F*@k, S?!t, and W@elful.

No.. Fork, Salt, and Wondelful are perfectly acceptable words at the dinner table (especially when you're eating food I cooked).

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 07:16:46 PM »
I voted to turn off the censoring, but I don't have kids, and I am 21, I see the points now of the other side, and just because I can't swear doesn't upset me, so I would rather see young Marquette fans on here then just a bunch of grown-ups cursing back and forth
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 07:25:25 PM »
Terry Bleeping Cummings got censored during the chat.   South Carolina Gamecocks got through.  Terry Cummings did not.  I am in favor of the filter, but please........
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 07:51:17 PM »
Terry Bleeping Cummings got censored during the chat.   South Carolina Gamecocks got through.  Terry Cummings did not.  I am in favor of the filter, but please........

I actually didn't create the original rules, apparently that one is set up for things like #$%^*sucker, etc, so it uses a wildcard.   I'd change it, but really, how often are people going to discuss Terry Cummings?  :P

I'll look at it to see if it can be more lenient.  But as others have mentioned, to encourage young MU fan participation (might as well get 'em hooked early) I think I'd rather it catch everything and accidentally bleep a few actual words, than miss some that should be bleeped.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 08:40:52 PM »
Hey, Rocky, you are doing a great job.  I am more amused than annoyed.   Keep up the good work.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

miltownsports

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 06:48:00 PM »
Im 17...but i could honestly care less if you swear.  It would probably just hurt teh reputation of the site if it was allowed though...and no1 here wants that.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 06:56:32 PM »
Im 17...but i could honestly care less if you swear.  It would probably just hurt teh reputation of the site if it was allowed though...and no1 here wants that.

another valid point
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2