[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Weber for Subban who won  (Read 687 times)

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
Weber for Subban who won
« on: June 30, 2016, 11:28:32 AM »
For you hockey fans Who won this trade in your opinion? Honestly, I kinda feel that it was the Habs because of Weber's physical style of play. that being said the Peds just got someone who might be the best 2-way D-man in the league.  I guess it is really a toss up... thoughts?
Fear makes you dumb.

MDMU04

• All American
Re: Weber for Subban who won
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 02:35:16 PM »
Honestly, this is one of the more lopsided trades in recent NHL history and it is in favor of Nashville.

Shea Weber is still one of the best players in his own zone in the NHL. He is also 30 years old, so Montreal should probably not be expecting his play to improve. He also has a monstrous contract with 10 years left on it so there is no getting out of the deal once he starts to decline further.

Weber's problem in Nashville was that he had become more of a stay at home d man. He is still very good in his own end and still has the glass-breaking cannon of a shot. But over the last couple seasons Roman Josi had become the first pair puck mover leading breakouts and making the zone exits.

Subban just turned 27, has a Norris trophy to his name and is just now entering his prime. His style of play will fit what the Predators want to do perfectly. He is an unbelievable playmaker and drives possession like no one else besides perhaps Drew Doughty or Duncan Keith. This is the key of the deal. Nashville wants to play a transition game, and Subban is probably the best in the league at pushing play from the defensive end. In today's NHL, there might not be anything more important than speed.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 02:47:45 PM »
Honestly, this is one of the more lopsided trades in recent NHL history and it is in favor of Nashville.

Shea Weber is still one of the best players in his own zone in the NHL. He is also 30 years old, so Montreal should probably not be expecting his play to improve. He also has a monstrous contract with 10 years left on it so there is no getting out of the deal once he starts to decline further.

Weber's problem in Nashville was that he had become more of a stay at home d man. He is still very good in his own end and still has the glass-breaking cannon of a shot. But over the last couple seasons Roman Josi had become the first pair puck mover leading breakouts and making the zone exits.

Subban just turned 27, has a Norris trophy to his name and is just now entering his prime. His style of play will fit what the Predators want to do perfectly. He is an unbelievable playmaker and drives possession like no one else besides perhaps Drew Doughty or Duncan Keith. This is the key of the deal. Nashville wants to play a transition game, and Subban is probably the best in the league at pushing play from the defensive end. In today's NHL, there might not be anything more important than speed.

More lopsided then say, the Taylor Hall trade 20 minutes before? But I agree, Preds got the much better end of that deal.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 03:30:20 PM »
More lopsided then say, the Taylor Hall trade 20 minutes before? But I agree, Preds got the much better end of that deal.

It's an interesting exercise to try and figure out how in the hell Edmonton is still so awful despite having the #1 overall pick in the draft in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2015. And it's not like they had late picks in '13 (#7), '14 (#3) either. They did enough to select 4th overall last week. That has to be almost impossible to do.

There is really no explanation for the trade other than Hall being made a scapegoat for his team's performance. And that's a shame because Taylor Hall is one hell of a player.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

feedback