Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What's your all-time Marquette team?  (Read 22771 times)

warriorfred

• All American
Re: What's your all-time Marquette team?
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 09:05:06 PM »
The question in my mind is whether a team of Marquette greats could win the National Championship in 2017?

Would players from the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's hold their own in today's game?  Who would coach?

Lee
Wade
Ellis
Lucas (non-negotiable)
Chones

Difficult to leave Thompson out of that line-up.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 10:01:02 PM »
HE only played one season.  IMO, he should not be considered. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 10:11:22 PM »
Any process that leaves Wade off first 5 is wrong. Ditto Lucas IMO.

Ummmm...ok.

muwar2003

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 10:15:31 PM »
Kojis, Wade, Lee, Lucas and Chones

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2016, 10:19:28 PM »
Meminger
Wade
Chones
Lucas
Bo

The only real question in my mind was Lee or Dream. Really a toss up. The rest were easy.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2016, 10:23:18 PM »
Why is Thompson second string? His numbers are incredible. Did it in three seasons.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2016, 10:25:47 PM »
Meminger
Wade
Chones
Lucas
Bo

The only real question in my mind was Lee or Dream. Really a toss up. The rest were easy.

Agree with your top 6 and that Dean and Butch are a tossup. Thompson and Kojis or Tatum to fill out the 8 man rotation.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2016, 10:34:02 PM »
Maybe it's been mostly younger guys responding so far, but there is no way anyone leaves Thompson off the 1st team if they ever saw him play.

Hah, by my calculations the YOUNGEST person that might remember GT playing in an MU uniform would be at least 52.  And that's assuming they have vivid memories from the age 5!  Considering the median age in the US is somewhere in the range of 38, you could reasonably assume that currently less than half of MU basketball fans ever saw GT in a Marquette uniform.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 10:37:03 PM by rocky_warrior »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2016, 10:47:51 PM »
Why is Thompson second string? His numbers are incredible. Did it in three seasons.

Now I didn't see him play. But my impression from what I hear was that he was very good but much more talented than anyone on the team at the time and therefore his numbers are a bit inflated when compared to those who came after.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2016, 10:50:39 PM »
FWIW, no.

Yep...lol

It's almost like he has never watched Wade play in the NBA.

My 5 are
Wade
Dean the Dream
Butch
Bo
Chones
2nd team
Lucas
Thompson
Kojis
Doc
Crowder
3rd
Travis
Tatum
Jerel
Whitehead
Walton

brandx

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2016, 11:01:29 PM »
Any process that leaves Wade off first 5 is wrong. Ditto Lucas IMO.

If either would have played 3 years, I think it would be different..

brandx

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2016, 11:04:16 PM »
Hah, by my calculations the YOUNGEST person that might remember GT playing in an MU uniform would be at least 52.  And that's assuming they have vivid memories from the age 5!  Considering the median age in the US is somewhere in the range of 38, you could reasonably assume that currently less than half of MU basketball fans ever saw GT in a Marquette uniform.

I saw George play when I was a kid - I put him on the 1st team - and he was only the 3rd best player on the floor that night.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2016, 11:22:14 PM »
I saw George play when I was a kid - I put him on the 1st team - and he was only the 3rd best player on the floor that night.

Brands, I grew up with George, the most exciting player in MU history, he is your starting small forward with no doubt in my mind.  Chones gets the nod at center over
Maurice Lucas who played center at MU, became a great power forward in the NBA, but not at MU.  Point Guard, had to be Dean the Dream, by far.  Had a tremendous
career.  Bo Ellis, easily the best at power forward, took MU to 2 final four championships, won one, Al lost the other with 2 T's, ball game.  Finally, D Wade or Butch Lee,
to the millennials, I am sure Dwayne is there choice.  But Butch Lee has to be the one, played all 4 years at MU.  MVP in the championship game, he was the man that
year.  DWade a much better pro for sure, but college it was Butch.

brandx

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2016, 11:25:41 PM »
Brands, I grew up with George, the most exciting player in MU history, he is your starting small forward with no doubt in my mind. 

I completely agree.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2016, 04:15:41 AM »
People have got to stop calling Ron Curry a SF.  He couldn't make the transition at Arizona, so he transferred to Marquette.  O'Neil tried again to put him there initially and the experiment failed again.  Once he was put back at PF, he became a force.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2016, 07:31:54 AM »
Question.

Are we basing this off their careers in Marquette uniforms or their overall lifetime of basketball?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2016, 08:48:50 AM »
Question.

Are we basing this off their careers in Marquette uniforms or their overall lifetime of basketball?

Seems to be a mix.  I picked mine based on their careers at MU (but admittedly limited by my personal time frame, which started with Meminger and Chones).

I think people who make picks like Wade over Butch or Dean are picking based on total careers.  Which is fine, but IMHO if that's the standard, Chris Crawford should be getting a lot more votes.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 08:52:18 AM by GooooMarquette »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2016, 08:50:58 AM »
Was George Thompson the most exciting player in MU history? I think it is a matter of perspective ( I was 14 years old) . I would go to the freshmen games just to watch George play. His most exciting year was his sophomore year, because after that year you could no longer dunk in a game (thanks to Lew Alcinder). As a sophomore he could do a spinning dunk in a game, when no one else was. These dunks were not necessarily on break aways. At 6'2" he would just abuse the 6'8" white power forwards. You have got to remember at this time schools in the south were still not recruiting black players. Today George would be playing against players that on an average are significantly more athletic than the average power forwards he played against. George was ahead of his time and you definitely went to games to watch him. I think the fact the George had a long pro career at guard validates how great he was. I was 50 years old when I watched Wade play. It is much harder to impress a 50 year old than a 14 year old, so that is why it is matter of perspective. Watching Wade fake and blow by his defender was truly exciting even for a 50 year old. Wade did it against today's athletes. Through a 14 year old eyes I rather see Thompson play again, but in reality Wade in his prime vs Thompson in his prime I would go with Wade. I would go with George over Wade if I had to pick between the two as my favorite player, but again that is a 14 year old vs. a 50 year old. In between those two perhaps the player I would solely go to game to watch would be Sam Worthen. Now he was not near as good as Thompson or Wade, but at that time his passes were worth the price of admission. I think that was the most disappointing thing about Henry Ellenson. I was hoping that he would be an exciting player like Thompson or Wade, but like many very good players you appreciate how good they are, but they really are not exciting players to watch. Haanif was more exciting than Henry.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2016, 09:59:15 AM »
Results updated in the first post. With 15 Scoopers voting so far, the top 5 are:

Jim Chones
Dwayne Wade
Bo Ellis
Butch Lee
Maurice Lucas

Memenger just misses out. Then there's a pretty big drop, with Thompson, Kojis, Rivers, Crowder and Tatum all separated by just 5 points.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2016, 10:15:11 AM »
Don't really feel qualified to use anyone prior to when I started watching, so as good as I've heard guys like Chones, Thompson, and Lee are, it would be tough for me to include them without having enough sense of their game. Also not sure the positions line up. How is Jae a SF? He undoubtedly played the 4 for us. Played alongside Jimmy (at the 3) his junior year and Jamil played a lot more like a 3 than a 4 in my eyes his senior year. If anything, Jae probably spent more time defending 5s than he did 3s.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2016, 10:17:36 AM »
Seems to be a mix.  I picked mine based on their careers at MU (but admittedly limited by my personal time frame, which started with Meminger and Chones).

I think people who make picks like Wade over Butch or Dean are picking based on total careers.  Which is fine, but IMHO if that's the standard, Chris Crawford should be getting a lot more votes.

I'm on the same page in basing votes on a player's time at Marquette alone.

I chose Dwyane over Butch and Dean not because of his NBA success, but because of his all-around play. I think Wade was the better rebounder and distributor, a legitimate triple-double threat on just about any given night. Throw in the steals and blocks on defense, and Wade was a terror on both ends of the court. Just imagine what he would have done as a senior.

Now, both Wade and Lee were two-time All Americans — so I can see how you could pick Lee. But I don't think it's fair to assume recency bias in favor of Dwyane. His performance speaks for itself.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2016, 10:23:48 AM »
Don't really feel qualified to use anyone prior to when I started watching, so as good as I've heard guys like Chones, Thompson, and Lee are, it would be tough for me to include them without having enough sense of their game. Also not sure the positions line up. How is Jae a SF? He undoubtedly played the 4 for us. Played alongside Jimmy (at the 3) his junior year and Jamil played a lot more like a 3 than a 4 in my eyes his senior year. If anything, Jae probably spent more time defending 5s than he did 3s.

All good questions. That's why I mentioned that many players defy position in the first post. (Lazar also comes to mind.) You can ignore all that if you want. It's your all-time Marquette team and you can vote however you like.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2016, 10:26:49 AM »
Results updated in the first post. With 15 Scoopers voting so far, the top 5 are:

Jim Chones
Dwayne Wade
Bo Ellis
Butch Lee
Maurice Lucas

Memenger just misses out. Then there's a pretty big drop, with Thompson, Kojis, Rivers, Crowder and Tatum all separated by just 5 points.

Four on that list brought MU to at least a Final Four.  Three left early.  Hard to leave Dean off, but Butch fills that spot.  I can see George over Mo.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2016, 10:49:11 AM »
Agree with your top 6 and that Dean and Butch are a tossup. Thompson and Kojis or Tatum to fill out the 8 man rotation.

So who are the top 5 on your 1st team? I can't count your vote without it.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2016, 10:51:11 AM »
Four on that list brought MU to at least a Final Four.  Three left early.  Hard to leave Dean off, but Butch fills that spot.  I can see George over Mo.

Is this simply meant as commentary, or as a vote? I need to know which 5 players make up your first team (and 2nd/3rd teams if you like) to count them in the results.

feedback