Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Matt Velazquez] Marquette ranks 21st in 2015-'16 men's basketball attendance  (Read 24058 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Cripes, what's next? You gonna switch out that license plate?

--------

re: Attendance, I do think people overlook some of the important details outside of opponent and win-loss record... timing of game (Tuesday 6pm vs. Saturday 1pm) year vs. year is important; weather can be important... to get a good understanding of comp's, I think you have to go through these details to some degree, or you're going to reach faulty conclusions.

None of that is known when season ticket holders sign up, however...or even when the smaller packs go on sale.  It is product on the floor, recruiting, hype (which Wojo is poor at in comparison to Crean or Buzz), and last season's schedule/performance (especially post-season) that are in your consideration set.  Start times, weather are just reasons not to show up. Walk up sales are a small part of revenue nowadays, especially with the school's gone from the Old Big East.

However, the economy, the Boomers becoming Snow Birds, and the Millenials being stuck with six figure school loan debt are changing things.  The new conference is holding up, but having no Notre Dame, Syracuse, Louisville, Pittsburgh, UCONN or Cincinnati has knocked out their visiting alumni and made the number of quality games infinitely less exciting.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 10:00:50 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
It's Omaha. There are no major league pro sports.  If you want to take a client to a sporting event a couple of times a year, what other choices do you have?  Creighton is getting business that in Milwaukee would go to the Bucks, Admirals, or even Brewers.
One other point is that Creighton is perceived as prestigious school locally and many people go to the games  to be  associated with the Creighton brand. Many people drive in from other places in Nebraska and stay overnight as there are a lot of good hotels within walking distance of the Century Link center.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American

You know, that is indeed conventional wisdom.  New stadium, new excitement.   I can imagine an amount of people thinking a MU bball game is the "cheap" way to see the new stadium versus paying some stupid amount to see the Bucks' play.

But .. I can't imagine that generating many new MU season ticket holders.   Maybe upstairs BC people see an opportunity to move downstairs (and pay more).  Just not sure that a significant chunk of people are right on the edge of buying a season and that new stadium is pushing them over.    Time will tell.

I think that's right.  What got chick and I in were $99 seats.  I remember the conversation. Right now we wouldn't go to the lower bowl because of the price.  Our choice in 18 will be interesting.

jsglow

• All American
While we're on the subject of attendance, I recall that a few posters in threads concerning scheduling reported a fair amount of griping amoung their season ticket holding friends regarding not renewing.  Does anyone care to hazard a guess about what will happen with next year's attendance?  Was there a "Henry Ellenson effect" last year where people kept their tickets or came on board for a year to see MU's first one and done?

Here's what I know.  Our rescheduling appointment slid back 2 full days this year.  We improved our seats by one row. And we're in arguably the most attractive upper deck seats.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
None of that is known when season ticket holders sign up, however...or even when the smaller packs go on sale.  It is product on the floor, recruiting, hype (which Wojo is poor at in comparison to Crean or Buzz), and last season's schedule/performance (especially post-season) that are in your consideration set.  Start times, weather are just reasons not to show up. Walk up sales are a small part of revenue nowadays, especially with the school's gone from the Old Big East.

Maybe just the parenthetical, but I think this is an important point. I wonder what Duke was like before they started cutting down nets. Coach K doesn't seem like much of a salesman either when it comes to the fans. Wojo definitely seems to emulate a number of his tendencies. Now they have the whole Krzyzewskiville thing rocking. That seemed to start after he got them to a few tournaments and during a season (1986) when they were in the top-10 all season long.

Obviously winning  helps, but I have a feeling Wojo will have to sell results, because I'm not sure he has that "pitch to the masses" mindset that sets some coaches (Crean especially) apart.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay Bee

• All American

We disagree here.

You are placing all importance on the season ticket holders. That is faulty analysis.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
We disagree here.

You are placing all importance on the season ticket holders. That is faulty analysis.

No. STH (including students) + Pack holders (including single game packs).  All bought well in advance of the season. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Well .. The average was 13308 ..

A good estimation of STH seats is to look at the attendance of a mid-week cupcake game, like Grambling State last December was 11618 where there was conceivably zero walk-up sales.

So .. 13308 average for the year -11618 = ~1700 average walk ups per game.   

So .. 87% of all attendance is STH, 13% is walk-up.

As for attendance growth or decline .. since there's ~20 games a year, ONE STH counts as 20 walk up sales -- and the opposite .. ONE lost STH is -20 walk-ups.

DegenerateDish

• All American

A good estimation of STH seats is to look at the attendance of a mid-week cupcake game, like Grambling State last December was 11618 where there was conceivably zero walk-up sales.

As for attendance growth or decline .. since there's ~20 games a year, ONE STH counts as 20 walk up sales -- and the opposite .. ONE lost STH is -20 walk-ups.

This is good info, I think spot on.

Everyone knows it's significantly cheaper to keep a customer than find a new one. If I were MU, or any sports team, I'd never put a price point on a ticket. If I was in the MU athletic department, and I was losing a upper bowl STH, I'd ask them "how much do you want to pay?". First year out of MU, I'd make an offer to those grads to match what their student season ticket price for that first year.

1>0, and if you can get 1 to commit to paying for 18 home games (or whatever the amount is), even if it's slightly below what your market metrics might indicate for price, do it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

And in the "favored game" and Big East packs and it is north of 95%.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
I think one of the things we need to do is to consult with Creighton and understand how they have marketed themselves so well to the community in Omaha.  The games really had that feel like it was the place to see and be seen. Many of the people had no ties to Creighton either.

---Al McGuire

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
I think one of the things we need to do is to consult with Creighton and understand how they have marketed themselves so well to the community in Omaha.  The games really had that feel like it was the place to see and be seen. Many of the people had no ties to Creighton either.

That's not a half bad idea .. if we could get the Brewers, Bucks, and UW sports to move out of state, we could be Omaha and reap the benefits!   8-)

HoopsterBC

• All American

Only game in town, MU will never be like Creighton nor will Omaha be as diversed as a town like Milwaukee.  Plus the Packers dominate the state in sports interest.
So MU has to put there best forward to be competitive or they will become UWM.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Only game in town, MU will never be like Creighton nor will Omaha be as diversed as a town like Milwaukee.  Plus the Packers dominate the state in sports interest.

MU could purposefully start throwing seasons and it wouldn't even come close to falling to UWM's level.

I echo brandx's challenge. Say something positive about MU. Just once!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HoopsterBC

• All American
MU could purposefully start throwing seasons and it wouldn't even come close to falling to UWM's level.

I echo brandx's challenge. Say something positive about MU. Just once!

I say a lot of good on here as well as questionable.  If MU stopped throwing millions on there basketball team they would be UWM,  sorry to say.  So would any other
program.  MU if not mistaken did that after Majerus and before Crean, it was a bad time if you remember.  When I got to know Mike Deane, I asked him about 3 recruits that year, Polanowski, Mike Bargen and the center from upnorth.  I knew then he would not last at MU, and Dukiet, for sure did not last.  Thank God for Kevin O'Neal and TC and the administration for understanding that basketball was important.  And DWade for getting MU the new Al McGuire center.    MU basketball is big
business, now it is time for Wojo to put it together.  Did I say earlier today, it is great Howard is playing great at the US17 try-out, what do you want me to say? 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Nebraska Football is dominant in the state and now that they are in the Big Ten the basketball team is drawing well too. Creighton has to compete against that. Baseball season begins after basketball ends. But there is an apples to apples comp there too which is that Omaha has the College World Series .

Milwaukee is over twice the size of Omaha and so bigger market to work with. Obviously winning will cure a lot but also I think there are things we can be doing with local schools and community organizations to build long term affinity to MU.  Now is the time to really think this stuff through with the new arena coming in.
            ---Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
Sports fans in Milwaukee have far more options than those in Omaha. To one degree or another, Marquette basketball competes with:

Milwaukee Bucks NBA basketball
Wisconsin Badgers college basketball
UW-Milwaukee Panthers college basketball
Green Bay Packers NFL football
Wisconsin Badgers college football
Milwaukee Admirals hockey
Milwaukee Wave soccer
Milwaukee Brewers baseball

Creighton competes with the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers, similar to our rivalry with UW, and the University of Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks (Division I basketball and hockey). Beyond that, it's pretty much indoor football and minor league baseball. No NBA basketball, no NFL football, no MLB baseball, no pro hockey, no pro indoor soccer.

There's obviously progress to be made when it comes to Marquette attendance. But we're still among the top programs in the Big East and Division I. Let's see where things stand in another couple years.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
I say a lot of good on here as well as questionable. 

Really? When was this?

If MU stopped throwing millions on there basketball team they would be UWM,  sorry to say.  So would any other
program.  MU if not mistaken did that after Majerus and before Crean, it was a bad time if you remember.  When I got to know Mike Deane, I asked him about 3 recruits that year, Polanowski, Mike Bargen and the center from upnorth.  I knew then he would not last at MU, and Dukiet, for sure did not last.  Thank God for Kevin O'Neal and TC and the administration for understanding that basketball was important.  And DWade for getting MU the new Al McGuire center.    MU basketball is big
business, now it is time for Wojo to put it together.  Did I say earlier today, it is great Howard is playing great at the US17 try-out, what do you want me to say?

Yet even during the dark days of Dukiet, MU was leagues above where UWM has ever dreamed to reach.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 08:03:21 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Sports fans in Milwaukee have far more options than those in Omaha. To one degree or another, Marquette basketball competes with:

Milwaukee Wave soccer

Creighton competes with the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers, similar to our rivalry with UW, and the University of Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks (Division I basketball and hockey). Beyond that, it's pretty much indoor football and minor league baseball. No NBA basketball, no NFL football, no MLB baseball, no pro hockey, no pro indoor soccer.

There's obviously progress to be made when it comes to Marquette attendance. But we're still among the top programs in the Big East and Division I. Let's see where things stand in another couple years.
College World Series is there every year  and the KC Royals  and KC Chiefs are a short drive away. Yes Milwaukee has more options but also over a 1 million more people.

I am happy with our attendance. I just think it is worth exploring how Creighton does things. I have been to several of their games and am amazed at how they pull the people in .
            ---Al McGuire

Golden Avalanche

• All American
College World Series is there every year and the KC Royals  and KC Chiefs are a short drive away. Yes Milwaukee has more options but also over a 1 million more people.

I am happy with our attendance. I just think it is worth exploring how Creighton does things. I have been to several of their games and am amazed at how they pull the people in .

Three hour drive one way is not short for a sporting event. The College World Series doesn't come close to overlapping Creighton's season. Jays get 16,000 a game, which is outstanding, but it's not like they're Syracuse.

As ever, you're wide of the mark on a subject.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American

Milwaukee Wave soccer

you forgot the Brew City Bruisers!

jsglow

• All American

Well done topper. And since working on my phone makes this difficult,  be good to see the same calculations for '14-'15.

Jay Bee

• All American

"Conceivably zero"???

No, there were not zero.

Your analysis of 20:1 is also silly
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Marcus92

• All American
I just think it is worth exploring how Creighton does things. I have been to several of their games and am amazed at how they pull the people in .

Great point and couldn't agree more. Big East teams should be benchmarking to share the best ideas about how to build their programs.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
"Conceivably zero"???

No, there were not zero.

Your analysis of 20:1 is also silly

Mmkay, could you expand on that?