collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: How One Nova Law Student Graduated Debt-Free  (Read 9528 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: How One Nova Law Student Graduated Debt-Free
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 04:19:36 PM »
Silly to call give this such a negative connection such as whore. Sex with many partners is so stigmatized for zero reason. Hell, we say "lose your virginity" making it sound like its a bad thing instead of gaining something lIke we do with almost everything else.

Oh, and prostitution should absolutely be legal, it's simply a business transaction and would honestly make it safer limiting pimps and such.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2016, 05:55:53 PM »
Silly to call give this such a negative connection such as whore. Sex with many partners is so stigmatized for zero reason. Hell, we say "lose your virginity" making it sound like its a bad thing instead of gaining something lIke we do with almost everything else.

Oh, and prostitution should absolutely be legal, it's simply a business transaction and would honestly make it safer limiting pimps and such.

I have nothing against having multiple partners.  That is each persons prerogative. 

Now when money is changing hands for sex; that makes you a whore/prostitute, whatever your choice of words. 

I also agree that prostitution should be legal.  Making it illegal makes it more dangerous, it doesn't make it go away.  Doesn't change the stigma of the worlds oldest profession though.

The issue here is that she is not a victim.  She consciously chose to sell her body. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2016, 06:27:35 PM »
The relationships that form can be far more complex than cash for tossing-it-in.

People are weird. Hey, whatever floats your boat.

Bye. Time to login to SA!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2016, 07:46:38 PM »
The legality of prostituition is really a tough call especially when you factor in the rampant drug use and alcoholism amongst sex workers. All it takes is one who uses on the job to turn any of their "business transactions" into rape. You then also need to factor in that there's depression associated with being a sex worker, would the organization be liable to pay for any psych damages? Calling it a business transaction as a reason is kinda stupid when literally everything from drugs, slave trade, weapons dealers, etc is just a "business transaction"

I agree it should be dealt with differently though.   
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2016, 08:05:19 PM »

To say it is stigmatized for zero reason is just as silly.   You can sleep with whomever you damn please, as often as you wish, but there are physical benefits to not having many partners you cannot deny....so I wouldn't call those zero reasons.  Others will argue emotional benefits, but let's keep it simple to just the physical ones at this point.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2016, 08:07:59 PM »
Kind of like my dad's old joke:

Man:  Would you sleep with me for $1 million?
Woman: Sure!
Man:  Would you sleep with me for $10?
Woman: What do you think I am, a whore?
Man:  Well, we've already established that.  Now we're just dickering about the price!

Thumbs up

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2016, 08:12:07 PM »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2016, 10:17:43 PM »
I'll agree with the first three sentences.  As to the last three, I won't necessarily disagree, but I will point out that there isn't a heck of a lot of difference between marriage and prostitution.

Little known fact, the pejorative "ho," a synonym of prostitute, comes from the Spanish pronunciation of "jo" (as in "jojoba"), which is common slang for coffee.  Now, consider how some people will stop at whatever gas station or coffee shop is convenient that morning and pay cash while some go to the exact same corner shop every morning at the same time to see their favorite barista and charge it to their house account... some pay on the spot, some pay lhttp://snltranscripts.jt.org/81/pics/81icourt4.jpgater, but regardless, everyone eventually pays for what gets them up in the morning.

The first time I ever heard the term was on SNL in the early 80's.  Eddie Murphy played a pimp character named Velvet Jones.  He had a fake commercial where he was hawking this book:

Based on the amount of laughter that occurred when he held up the book, I would assume it was the first time the studio audience had seen that word as well.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2016, 12:37:02 AM »
I fell unclean agreeing in principle with Chico's.   She made a conscious decision.    She chose a path that allowed her to graduate without debt.   Most students choose to work in some capacity to make money for college/graduate school.    She chose a path less traveled.   And by Chicos definition, models, professional wrestlers and football players, as well as anyone who does a very physical job for a living that can impact their health later in life, is a prostitute.     

My definition of prostitute is one that I think most people tie together....sexual relations for some form of compensation.  I don't see how models, wrestlers, football players fit that definition.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2016, 04:38:54 AM »
I have nothing against having multiple partners.  That is each persons prerogative. 

Now when money is changing hands for sex; that makes you a whore/prostitute, whatever your choice of words. 

I also agree that prostitution should be legal.  Making it illegal makes it more dangerous, it doesn't make it go away.  Doesn't change the stigma of the worlds oldest profession though.

The issue here is that she is not a victim.  She consciously chose to sell her body.

so if your daughter, or God forbid, your wife had multiple partners-that would be different then i assume.  ok, the wife one i'm sure we could eliminate as obviously out of bounds...right?  that was partly snark, but just saying

why is it whenever we try to legalize something, it's all cool?  prostitution is a nasty side of society.  lives are ruined.  very commonly, drugs are involved.  alcoholism.  violence.  i've got to be careful here as i don't want this to become p-p-p-p-p-political, but when you know who tries to run some things, it turns to a chit samich.  all the regulations, fees, tests, what have you...many will find it much easier to run it the old fashioned way.  and then there's the children-it's already bad.  i'm just thinking the legalization of this?  nothing good will come out of it-it's wrong on all levels-imho of course

yeah, i know it's been around since man has inhabited this earth, but it doesn't make it acceptable in m mind. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2016, 09:15:14 AM »
It's extremely laughable how people insist on taking a moral high-ground when it comes to prostitution and polygamy.

Nobody gets sex for free, there's always a price to pay.  Sometimes the payment is tangible, sometimes it's not, but if you ever bought your wife flowers on her birthday in the hopes of getting some action, how is that materially different than what Miss Kashani is engaging in?  The only people who don't pay for sex are rapists who don't get caught.

So if you want to claim moral high ground by demeaning prostitution, then which is it -- is your wife a whore or are you a rapist?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2016, 09:29:28 AM »
It's extremely laughable how people insist on taking a moral high-ground when it comes to prostitution and polygamy.

Nobody gets sex for free, there's always a price to pay.  Sometimes the payment is tangible, sometimes it's not, but if you ever bought your wife flowers on her birthday in the hopes of getting some action, how is that materially different than what Miss Kashani is engaging in?  The only people who don't pay for sex are rapists who don't get caught.

So if you want to claim moral high ground by demeaning prostitution, then which is it -- is your wife a whore or are you a rapist?

Nobody gets sex for free? College parties must have had a different look back then if you were bringing flowers or buying ladies drinks at the party.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2016, 09:30:44 AM »

An article came out yesterday that sex at least two times a week will lower blood pressure and statistically allow you to live longer.  My wife, said to me...let's try to live a long time.  We had a nice evening together.  She's a blast, that's why we have been married with no infidelity issues.  Yes, it is possible to have sex just because we enjoy it and want to be with each other.

Now I get what you are saying, but I think you are mixing in extremes.  Of course some people will argue or think that if I don't put out for him or her, that will lead to a breakup, loss of lifestyle, etc.  Yup, you can make that argument. 

I don't think your argument will stick, but you can make it.  I have no doubt some people are in that scenario.    How would you reconcile your stance when people get of the age where sex just isn't there any longer, but remain happily married?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 10:11:15 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2016, 09:42:29 AM »

with regards to sex and my wife and our 35 year relationship, i am absolutely going to take the moral high ground.  you know why?  because i can.  i can absolutely state with all confidence and God knows this to be true that i have NEVER strayed/cheated on my wife.  ok, that being said, stating that flowers or doing the dishes or cooking dinner is the equivalency of paying for sex is very, ummm,... "lawyer-like".   

benny, i love reading your stuff. you provide some great perspectives that i just stand back and go-that's exactly what i meant, but couldn't put it into words.  BUT, this isn't one of your better posts.  it's sounds like something closer to what a  certain  "highfalutin" couple we all know would try to parse it up with, and all with a  straight face
don't...don't don't don't don't

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2016, 10:02:36 AM »
Gotta weigh in with the woman's point of view.  Married sex, or for that matter, relationship sex, is not a factor of exchanging "compensation" for nookie.  I don't cook my husband dinner to get sex, and he doesn't buy me flowers to get sex.  We are two people committed to maintaining a life together, and mutually enjoying each others' company, sharing the chores, doing thoughtful things for each other and yes, sharing the pleasure of sex. The difference between married sex and trading sex for cash/favors is kind of like the difference between a soldier and a mercenary - one fights because he believes in a cause and the other fights whoever somebody pays him to fight.  Sex as part of a healthy relationship, where both parties are fully participating in a life together, is not the same as prostitution.

And Benny, if you're buying your wife flowers because you're hoping to get some, then you're doing it wrong.    Buy your wife flowers because you know she loves flowers.  For sex, all you really have to do is ask.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2016, 10:04:26 AM »
with regards to sex and my wife and our 35 year relationship, i am absolutely going to take the moral high ground.  you know why?  because i can.  i can absolutely state with all confidence and God knows this to be true that i have NEVER strayed/cheated on my wife.  ok, that being said, stating that flowers or doing the dishes or cooking dinner is the equivalency of paying for sex is very, ummm,... "lawyer-like".   

benny, i love reading your stuff. you provide some great perspectives that i just stand back and go-that's exactly what i meant, but couldn't put it into words.  BUT, this isn't one of your better posts.  it's sounds like something closer to what a  certain  "highfalutin" couple we all know would try to parse it up with, and all with a  straight face

Congrats on you and your wife, truly and inspiration but unless you had some kind of absistence till marriage pledge can we cut out the whole "I'm allowed the moral high ground" type of attitude. Everybody makes their own set and tries to live up to them. Now that that's said I agree with your premise against prostituition.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2016, 10:08:45 AM »
The young guys might not even get this....

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1N6rzfoWHzg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1N6rzfoWHzg</a>

brandx

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2016, 10:23:08 AM »

Simply a way to denigrate women.

They can't win - either they "lose" their virginity or they become "old maids". We get to bad-mouth them either way.

This is in no way a defense of prostitution (cuz we know that is how it will be read).

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2016, 10:53:20 AM »

Benny - nobody on Scoop is better than you at cutting through the BS and exposing posers. Many who demean prostitution have marriages that are little more than financial "arrangements".

However, I can honestly say I never "bought my wife flowers in the hopes of getting some action". As a matter of fact, flowers (or anything else tangible) were out of the question when we were dating and in the first several years of our marriage. By the time I could afford what I guess you would consider "payment" I'd (we'd) had freebies for years. See how far you get with your favorite hooker when you propose a "no payment for the first five years plan".

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2016, 11:12:20 AM »
so if your daughter, or God forbid, your wife had multiple partners-that would be different then i assume.  ok, the wife one i'm sure we could eliminate as obviously out of bounds...right?  that was partly snark, but just saying

why is it whenever we try to legalize something, it's all cool?  prostitution is a nasty side of society.  lives are ruined.  very commonly, drugs are involved.  alcoholism.  violence.  i've got to be careful here as i don't want this to become p-p-p-p-p-political, but when you know who tries to run some things, it turns to a chit samich.  all the regulations, fees, tests, what have you...many will find it much easier to run it the old fashioned way.  and then there's the children-it's already bad.  i'm just thinking the legalization of this?  nothing good will come out of it-it's wrong on all levels-imho of course

yeah, i know it's been around since man has inhabited this earth, but it doesn't make it acceptable in m mind.

I'd be fine with it.  It is her life.  I know many people that live a polyamorous lifestyle.  Done right amongst consenting adults that all adhere to the standards of the relationship, it seems to work for them.

Not my place to step in and assign my morality to someone else.  All I can hope for is that they are safe and happy.

As for my wife and I, we are strictly monogamous.  That is how we prefer to live and have stuck to those standards our entire life and will continue to do so.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2016, 11:28:23 AM »
For those that are "libertarian" about prostitution, what the women wants to do is fine with you.

Do you feel the same about ...

* Men only country clubs (Augusta)
* Whites only businesses
* Landlords that want to deny because of race or sexual orientation
* Businesses discriminating in hiring over race, gender, etc.
* Businesses that elect to pay men more than women
* Frozen Custard stands that refuse to serve non-English speaking customers

Why are you "libertarian" about one business practice, prostitution, but not the business practices listed above?  Or, are you in favor of all of the above as well.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2016, 11:38:18 AM »
I thought the politics board was shut down?

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2016, 12:42:35 PM »
I thought the politics board was shut down?
Ditto. This is devolved to politics and morality exchanges. Ripe for a lock IMO
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2016, 01:28:02 PM »
And Benny, if you're buying your wife flowers because you're hoping to get some, then you're doing it wrong.    Buy your wife flowers because you know she loves flowers.  For sex, all you really have to do is ask.

Listen, my relationship is perfect.  My opinions merely represent an expression of logic and in no way reflects my personal experiences or desires.  I have no complaints about my marriage, and I know for a fact that my wife agrees; we are very loyal to one another, believe very strongly in the Catholic faith, and have a very monogamous relationship (don't know why I had to emphasize the monogamousness there, but I did).

The point I was making is that we all give up something for sex, whether tangible or intangible.  I'm not surprised how several posters have decided to cherry pick one example of the point in ignorance of the point itself, but surprisingly, Chicos was actually closest of the ilk... to the extent we're referring to loyal, monogamous, marital sex, you've devoted yourself to another person, ipso facto, you've given up the ability to devote yourself to someone else.  But just because you're giving something up doesn't mean you're giving up something of value... the gains I've made on my marital "investment" are damn near undefined in comparison to the value of what I gave up (that's a math reference referring to dividing something by zero).  The only people who don't give something up (willingly) in a marriage are those for whom their marriage was arranged... the value of the marital investment to all others, however, is in the eye of the beholder.

For the record, I have never engaged in prostitution (neither vendor nor customer) and have never had any desire to do so.  But I don't condemn those that do.  As mentioned by 'Rent, it's a business transaction; I fail to see what's morally wrong with two consenting adults entering into a willing service arrangement as buyer-seller.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2016, 02:03:57 PM »
Ditto. This is devolved to politics and morality exchanges. Ripe for a lock IMO

Eh, I think we're still good here as long as people don't respond to Heisy. Been incredibly civil and morality talks isn't in the scoop contract last time I checked.

feedback