[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Seat Selection Process -  (Read 58018 times)

GOO

• All American
Re: Seat Selection Process -
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2016, 04:38:05 PM »
MU really needs to get this figured out.  The current process just isn't good business. They should have an auto-renew option for a 2 or 3 year period and would then retain a lot more season ticket holders.  T

The less thought and more seamless this process is, the better for MU ticket renews.  The current process is just an invitation for people to really think about renewing.  Plus, it seems to always come during a vacation time for me, which adds in another layer of hassle.  I could see reseating every three years.  I actually end up donating less with the reseating being each year, and each year think about not renewing.  If is was just send in a check and renew, I wouldn't think twice about it.  Plus, you'd get to know the people around you... it is not longer a collegial atmosphere where you get to know people some over the years.

There are at least three views in this thread on why MU HAS to do it this way and has NO CHOICE:

(1) That the donation portion is otherwise income to the school (that would be a big reason why it is this mess, but maybe not if the net income is minimal... I do not know enough about non-profit law or how much of the expenses to offset income if that is the case), (2) We would lose the WI tax donation on the "donation" portion  (if so, so what, get rid of the process), (3)  We'd have to pay sales tax on the donation portion (again, if that is the concern, get rid of this process).

Some seem to think UW doesn't do reseating and has some sort of "donation" for seats... so what is different about MU that makes us do this process?  I hope they get it figured out, or this process is an invitation to not renew.   

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2016, 04:48:28 PM »
Lucky for Badger fans.  They don't have to re seat.  Please leave this post in the thread.  Thanks.  As to tax law, yes i am a CPA whose specialty is tax law.  The 80% rule and the itemized deduction credit for Wisconsin are  in place and are not the problem.  Bilsu made this comment correctly earlier.  It is the sales tax issue.  I just would like to have the correspondence with our guys be similar to what they told the UW athletic department.  That is my smoke and mirrors as to what is really going on.       

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2016, 05:05:54 PM »

That's a fairly substantial figure.  They raise about $4.5 million or so every year.  5.6% is $250,000.

is the $250k really that substantial when you put it into perspective with the unintended consequences?  unless they can put out a top 10-20 team dang near every year, they may be losing more than that through the process.  think about it-if they lose x number of long time season ticket holders, how much in donations are they losing as the incentive is gone?  i used to try to donate $1k per year to the blue n gold and a few hundred to the dental school just to try to keep up in the points. then there's the cost of the tickets and the license. plus i'm still paying for my 2 kids MU education at about $1800/month. it's too bad they don't give you points for children who've attended MU. anyway, i'm sure, well i know there are many who donate way way more than my $1k and losing some of those will start to add up pretty fast. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2016, 07:24:06 PM »
As  the number of season ticket holders decrease they may not lose that much in reseating donations, because the highest donation level seats are filled by someone moving down as another higher season ticket holder drops out. The lower bowl will always be sold out.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2016, 09:23:59 PM »
As  the number of season ticket holders decrease they may not lose that much in reseating donations, because the highest donation level seats are filled by someone moving down as another higher season ticket holder drops out. The lower bowl will always be sold out.

but you are assuming that their donations are restricted to the seat license or fee or whatever it's called.  you also have the random donations to the blue n gold and to the university and it's schools to increase their standing, maintaining or increasing their positions every year just so they have a chance to keep their seats where they are.   those aren't fixed numbers, the seat fees are.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2016, 09:29:53 PM »
It blows my mind that this is that hard.  A lot of very smart people should be able to figure this out, unless we are truly saying this is so f'd that this is the best that can be done. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2016, 09:37:12 PM »
Since UW does not have to do this every year, or at least they are guaranteed their same seats each year if they make the appropriate donation, there can really only be a few explanations.

1. There is something subtly different between UW and MU's season ticket programs that we aren't seeing.

2. Marquette is intentionally making this process more difficult for some reason. 

3. State law, or enforcement of the law, differs between UW and MU.

None of these explanations make much sense to me.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2016, 09:58:47 PM »
  I just would like to have the correspondence with our guys be similar to what they told the UW athletic department.  That is my smoke and mirrors as to what is really going on.       

Ding ding ding.

Effin badger alum in the DOR. They've rigged this, and are laughing their arses off at us.

Think about it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2016, 10:03:13 PM »
Ding ding ding.

Effin badger alum in the DOR. They've rigged this, and are laughing their arses off at us.

Think about it.

Don't we have an alum that trumps the DOR?  Just sayin....

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2016, 09:20:39 AM »
I just sent a clarification request to the WDOR.  If and when I get a response I will share it with the board.  I may never get a response so I am not holding my breath.  Here are the Badgers current fb donations amounts form their website:

Each spring season ticket holders have the opportunity to request additional season tickets as well as request seat location changes. Opportunities for additional seats or location changes come from existing available season ticket inventory as well from attrition of current season ticket holders. With this factor in mind, exact available seat locations are not known until after the order deadline of April 30.

As you consider requests for either additional season ticket or a seat change, please note the recommended minimum annual contributions for the opportunity to order seats in certain sections:

Sections E, T and FF - $400 each
Sections D, F, S, U, EE and GG - $300 each
Sections C, G, R, V, DD and HH - $200 each
Sections B, H, Q, W, CC and II - $100 each

muguru

• All American
« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2016, 11:49:05 AM »
If you purchase seats that require a seat license, in addition to the tax break, do you also receive additional points in your account?? I mean it is a donation...Depending on one's status, I'd think that additional benefit might make it worth it.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2016, 12:06:14 PM »
Obama wanted to get rid of the 80% tax break on 'seat fees'... had it in the budget a year and a half ago

Wonder what the discussion(s) was on it, if anything.. or if the idea of removing the tax berak just quietly disappeared?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2016, 12:18:36 PM »
If you purchase seats that require a seat license, in addition to the tax break, do you also receive additional points in your account?? I mean it is a donation...Depending on one's status, I'd think that additional benefit might make it worth it.

Yes, you gain points commensurate with the portion that is a donation.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2016, 01:57:42 PM »
I just sent a clarification request to the WDOR.  If and when I get a response I will share it with the board.  I may never get a response so I am not holding my breath.  Here are the Badgers current fb donations amounts form their website:

Each spring season ticket holders have the opportunity to request additional season tickets as well as request seat location changes. Opportunities for additional seats or location changes come from existing available season ticket inventory as well from attrition of current season ticket holders. With this factor in mind, exact available seat locations are not known until after the order deadline of April 30.

As you consider requests for either additional season ticket or a seat change, please note the recommended minimum annual contributions for the opportunity to order seats in certain sections:Sections E, T and FF - $400 each
Sections D, F, S, U, EE and GG - $300 each
Sections C, G, R, V, DD and HH - $200 each
Sections B, H, Q, W, CC and II - $100 each
In reading this it says the donation level is for the opportunity to order tickets at that level. I am not sure, but it seems you have to make the donation first and may not get tickets. In MU's case you make the donation, if you get the tickets. That is a big difference. Also you have to make the recommended donation by April 30th, before you know what seats are available.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:00:07 PM by bilsu »

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2016, 04:06:37 PM »
Bilsu, I possible confused you with the portion of the web site I showed.  I am including the entire website below.   

I believe to be considered for fb season tickets which are in high demand, you must at the minimum become a donor.  Then you make the request and are put on a list.  That has nothing to do with the issue of reseating and the required donations.  Folks I know send their money in just as we do with the bundled ticket price and donation.   

The other situation they reference is the folks who are season ticket holders and want to add to them.  That is why there is the reminder them of the seat donation in various areas if they are lucky enough to be  able to obtain extra season ticket seats. 

I have been told there are about 65,000 season ticket fb seats.  A major portion of them have a donation attached to it just like MU.  I know that it is easier to add to your number of seats then to become a new season ticket holder but that means moving generally to a different row and section when someone vacates that area.   

Here is the website. 

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/2015/8/21/GEN_20140101576.aspx

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2016, 04:39:19 PM »
I know someone who has football tickets in Y2, specifically because there is no seat donation. Might have to get on a list to get tickets in those other sections.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2016, 05:27:37 PM »
With this factor in mind, exact available seat locations are not known until after the order deadline of April 30.
This seems to be the key to me, UW football ticket holders don't get to pick their seats either.  That is ultimately the issue, if you pick your exact seats then the "donation" is considered part of the ticket price, subject to sales tax and not tax deductible.

If you want to avoid re-seating and just let MU pick your seats for you every year, and put down your preferences for the same location, you can.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2016, 05:49:28 PM »
So my friend the UW basketball ticket holder has had the same seats for years. Is that simply because, while he doesn't "pick" those seats, UW just gives them to him when he makes the contribution required?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2016, 07:14:38 PM »
So my friend the UW basketball ticket holder has had the same seats for years. Is that simply because, while he doesn't "pick" those seats, UW just gives them to him when he makes the contribution required?

Why does it not surprise me in the least that you have a friend that likes UW?? Probably the least surptrising revelation ever on these boards. Just sayin'.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2016, 07:19:52 PM »
Why does it not surprise me in the least that you have a friend that likes UW?? Probably the least surptrising revelation ever on these boards. Just sayin'.

I have mentioned him a number of times.  Invites me to the Marquette game at the Kohl Center every other year, but unfortunately couldn't go this year.

I guess you think I should base my friendships on the college basketball team they root for.  That's sad. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2016, 07:37:07 PM »

From the sound of things, UW is paying to get into a section, then fans are assigned any available seat in said section. Once you have your seat, you keep it indefinitely.

So the question becomes, would you rather keep the same seats permanently with no hope of improvement without jumping price brackets, or have annual reseating that allows for improving your seats over time?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2016, 07:39:54 PM »

I don't know anything about the UW process other than what was linked here.  However, I haven't been able to do the MU reseating the past few years due to travel, so I've just picked auto-select with a preference for the same seats, and I've gotten the same seats every time.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #122 on: June 05, 2016, 07:54:41 PM »
How is everyone doing getting their choices?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2016, 08:22:21 PM »
I don't know anything about the UW process other than what was linked here.  However, I haven't been able to do the MU reseating the past few years due to travel, so I've just picked auto-select with a preference for the same seats, and I've gotten the same seats every time.

you sir must be a very beneficent man-good on you!  i must not have given enough as the amounts i did give kept me sliding backward.  oh well.

another issue might have been that some of those from the bowl area wanted to continue to get season tix but it might have been getting a little out of their range?  so they moved up with the hopes that eventually they could move back down?  just some thoughts

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2016, 08:30:40 PM »

That is real interesting observation.  So people are going through this simply because they choose to.