[Today at 09:50:49 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[Today at 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Leon's Frozen Custard Making National News  (Read 12846 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Leon's Frozen Custard Making National News
« on: May 19, 2016, 11:49:58 AM »

We can’t be the United Nations’: Milwaukee frozen custard shop defends ‘English only’ policy
By Katie Mettler May 19 at 7:11 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/05/19/we-cant-be-the-united-nations-milwaukee-frozen-custard-shop-defends-english-only-policy/

On Tuesday, Joey Sanchez stepped up to the counter of Leon’s Frozen Custard, a 70-year-old Milwaukee staple, and listened to the customer in front of him place his order in Spanish.

The shop is located on the city’s south side, in a neighborhood with a large Hispanic population. Sanchez thought nothing of it.

Then he heard the server’s response.

“She whispered to him in Spanish, ‘I’m not allowed to speak Spanish to you,’ ” Sanchez told TV station Fox 6 Now.

Sanchez was shocked.

So when it came his turn to order, he, too, used his native tongue.

“I’m not allowed to speak Spanish to you,” Sanchez said the server repeated.

He posted his experience to social media, WISN 12 News reported, and soon the community was rallying around what critics called a racist — and illegal — employee policy. Customers on Twitter used the hashtag #BoycottLeons. And the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) has even called on the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to launch a federal investigation into the “English only” rule.

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Leon's Frozen Custard Making National News
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 12:13:43 PM »

We can’t be the United Nations’: Milwaukee frozen custard shop defends ‘English only’ policy
By Katie Mettler May 19 at 7:11 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/05/19/we-cant-be-the-united-nations-milwaukee-frozen-custard-shop-defends-english-only-policy/

On Tuesday, Joey Sanchez stepped up to the counter of Leon’s Frozen Custard, a 70-year-old Milwaukee staple, and listened to the customer in front of him place his order in Spanish.

The shop is located on the city’s south side, in a neighborhood with a large Hispanic population. Sanchez thought nothing of it.

Then he heard the server’s response.

“She whispered to him in Spanish, ‘I’m not allowed to speak Spanish to you,’ ” Sanchez told TV station Fox 6 Now.

Sanchez was shocked.

So when it came his turn to order, he, too, used his native tongue.

“I’m not allowed to speak Spanish to you,” Sanchez said the server repeated.

He posted his experience to social media, WISN 12 News reported, and soon the community was rallying around what critics called a racist — and illegal — employee policy. Customers on Twitter used the hashtag #BoycottLeons. And the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) has even called on the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to launch a federal investigation into the “English only” rule.

Illegal - No

Stupid - Muy

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 12:26:50 PM »
Not illegal, just a poor business idea and a guy being an a$$. 

Edit: Based on his last quote of fighting in an alley I'm standing firm that he's an A$$
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:30:09 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 12:39:29 PM »
I can understand a rule that employees must speak in English to one another.  But not speaking Spanish with customers who speak Spanish in a neighborhood that is becoming increasingly Hispanic?  That's just dumb. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 12:42:39 PM »
Not illegal, just a poor business idea and a guy being an a$$. 

Edit: Based on his last quote of fighting in an alley I'm standing firm that he's an A$$

I find it hard to believe he has a problem with Hispanics given the fact he married a Latina. But I am not sure why he has dug in his heels over something so inane.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 12:45:21 PM »
I can understand a rule that employees must speak in English to one another.  But not speaking Spanish with customers who speak Spanish in a neighborhood that is becoming increasingly Hispanic?  That's just dumb.

I did a tour with the Navy as a Pilot Exchange guy and what struck me was how many Filipinos are in the USN (which is a vestige of our colonial stewardship.) I recall how Filipino sailors speaking Tagalog on the ship would be taken to task for not using English. Frankly, I saw no reason why they shouldn't use their native tongue when conversing among themselves.

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 12:54:49 PM »
Have a hard time understanding why they think this is a hill worth dying on. But ok.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 01:19:24 PM »

I agree with this. It's just not very smart business practice.

I'm also a little saddened by it, as Leon's is my second-favorite Milwaukee institution.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 01:38:24 PM »
I did a tour with the Navy as a Pilot Exchange guy and what struck me was how many Filipinos are in the USN (which is a vestige of our colonial stewardship.) I recall how Filipino sailors speaking Tagalog on the ship would be taken to task for not using English. Frankly, I saw no reason why they shouldn't use their native tongue when conversing among themselves.

At a previous job, almost all of our cafeteria workers were Hispanic.  All spoke fluent English but would speak in Spanish to other Hispanic employees that ordered and took it as a friendly sign when I would order in kind.  I get the "assimilation" arguments, but accepting the diverse nature of this country is what should make this country what it is.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 01:57:15 PM »
The funniest part is people making this about race...no surprise.  I didn't realize that one's language defined one's race.  Lol.

The question I have for the outraged, should every business have someone on staff to take orders for the 311 languages spoken in the USA?  Or even the 162 indigenous languages?  How about if we just say the top 10?

Poor Leon's....they will get hammered over this.  I think I will send them a nice note of support.  I guess they could put a phone system in the the store to press 1 if ordering in English, so in and so forth.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 02:01:27 PM »
At a previous job, almost all of our cafeteria workers were Hispanic.  All spoke fluent English but would speak in Spanish to other Hispanic employees that ordered and took it as a friendly sign when I would order in kind.  I get the "assimilation" arguments, but accepting the diverse nature of this country is what should make this country what it is.

The assimilation argument is full of crap anyway.  My father will tell you that his German immigrant grandfather basically refused to communicate in anything but German unless absolutely necessary.  (You could get away with this in Milwaukee 100 years ago.)  His son (my grandfather) who was born in Germany but immigrated when he was under the age of 5, was bilingual and spoke English without the hint of an accent.  My father knows a few phrases of German.  I don't know a lick of it.

Every single one of my children's classmates who have parents that can barely speak English, can speak fluently in both languages.  They pretty sound like every other 20-some year old guy.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 02:03:35 PM »
The funniest part is people making this about race...no surprise.  I didn't realize that one's language defined one's race.  Lol.

The question I have for the outraged, should every business have someone on staff to take orders for the 311 languages spoken in the USA?  Or even the 162 indigenous languages?  How about if we just say the top 10?

Poor Leon's....they will get hammered over this.  I think I will send them a nice note of support.  I guess they could put a phone system in the the store to press 1 if ordering in English, so in and so forth.

Seriously?

If the person behind the counter speaks only English, then sure, you can't force them to speak every language that their customers may, but if the person behind the counter happens to speak Spanish or one of those 311 other languages, then who the hell cares if they speak to the customer in the same language?

This is dumb, Leon's.  I've never been there and probably never would any way, but still... dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.  It has nothing to do with assimilation.  Hell, I speak Spanish to Mexicans (once to an Asian, but that wasn't my fault) all the time, and I can virtually guarantee I'm more assimilated than most of you.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 02:05:32 PM »

This is so very typical of how you operate here.

No one here is "outraged."  In fact not a single person here has supported the notion of what Leon's is doing is illegal.  Everyone has simply said it makes no business sense to disallow employees to communicate in the language of what looks like a good portion of its customer base. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 02:05:50 PM »

The way I look at it is that I think it is impolite to converse in a language that those around you can't understand if you are capable of using the local language.  The rough equivalent of talking behind someone's back or whispering so those around you can't hear, even if that is not your intent.

OTOH, not accommodating your customers when you can easily do so doesn't seem like a good idea at all.  If someone wants to buy something from you and speaks Spanish, and you have someone who understands Spanish, then take his order and his money.  Not rocket science.  It doesn't mean you have to learn 162 languages or anything.  If you are capable of understanding an order and taking, why on Earth wouldn't you?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 02:06:01 PM »

Hardly surprising that you would take this view.

I would not expect Leon's to require any employee to speak Spanish. But I find it ridiculous as a business practice to tell an employee who does speak Spanish that he or she shouldn't speak Spanish to a customer who is more comfortable speaking Spanish.

Whether or not it's "racist" or "nationalist" or "xenophobic" or whatever is besides the point to me. It's just stupid.

Nobody - repeat NOBODY - is saying every business should "have someone on staff to take orders for the 311 languages spoken in the USA."

What intelligent people are saying is "Don't forbid your Spanish-speaking employee from speaking Spanish to a Spanish-speaking customer."

Which of course you already knew because, despite it all, you are intelligent.

But to agree with that would keep you from arguing for the sake of arguing ... and from getting outraged at people for being outraged.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 02:08:57 PM »
My family LOVES Leon's. My kids recently visited their grandfather in Gurnee and drove to Milwaukee just to go to Leon's.

I sent the link to them and here was my son's response:

Wow, that's pretty bad. As racist as it is, butter pecan is too good to boycott.

I have to admit that I agree. I'm not big on boycotts, but I respect those who do such things peacefully.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 02:11:26 PM »
Seriously?

If the person behind the counter speaks only English, then sure, you can't force them to speak every language that their customers may, but if the person behind the counter happens to speak Spanish or one of those 311 other languages, then who the hell cares if they speak to the customer in the same language?

This is dumb, Leon's.  I've never been there and probably never would any way, but still... dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.  It has nothing to do with assimilation.  Hell, I speak Spanish to Mexicans (once to an Asian, but that wasn't my fault) all the time, and I can virtually guarantee I'm more assimilated than most of you.

The owner wants to keep his operational process a certain way.

No issue with it. 

Let me ask you, why is air traffic control require English at major international airports?   Simple really.  Now, is selling custard the same as air traffic control?  Of course not, but the point is that this guy wants his operations to conduct business in one language.

What does this have to do with race is my question.  Language defines race?  Since when? 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 02:15:11 PM »

This is just silly.  There is a huge difference between going out of your way to provide good service (your example) and going out of your way to prevent good service (what Leon's is doing).  If a staff member happens to speak Spanish (or any other language), it's just not smart business to prevent him or her from speaking to customers in their preferred language.  Sure, Leon's probably got a right to do this, but it's not smart.  If I owned a business in an area where my customers were ethnically diverse and spoke different languages, you can be damn sure I'd prefer employees who could provide exceptional customer service by communicating with customers in their preferred language.  I'd use it as a way to differentiate my business as surely as I'd try to offer great products and fair prices.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 02:18:59 PM »
The owner wants to keep his operational process a certain way.

No issue with it. 

Let me ask you, why is air traffic control require English at major international airports?   Simple really.  Now, is selling custard the same as air traffic control?  Of course not, but the point is that this guy wants his operations to conduct business in one language.

What does this have to do with race is my question.  Language defines race?  Since when?

Because ATC communications are critical for everyone on the frequency, not just the two people who happen to be talking to each other.  When others have a need or right to know, a common language requirement is necessary and acceptable.

However, what the person in front of you is ordering is none of your damn business.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 02:19:08 PM »
I thought we banned the politics page. Exactly why I didn't post this morning.  Folks lining up predictably.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 02:20:50 PM »
I thought we banned the politics page. Exactly why I didn't post this morning.  Folks lining up predictably.

I don't see how this is political at all.  Actually, it's quite the opposite because everyone here (with exception to you-know-who) is merely discussing the merits of common sense, which is mutually exclusive to politics.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 02:24:05 PM »
I don't see how this is political at all.  Actually, it's quite the opposite because everyone here (with exception to you-know-who) is merely discussing the merits of common sense, which is mutually exclusive to politics.

Although that being said, everyone (-1) is merely having a conversation discussing the blatant stupidity of others, which in that respect would make this appear to be a conversation about politics, not a political conversation.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 02:40:13 PM »
Hardly surprising that you would take this view.

I would not expect Leon's to require any employee to speak Spanish. But I find it ridiculous as a business practice to tell an employee who does speak Spanish that he or she shouldn't speak Spanish to a customer who is more comfortable speaking Spanish.

Whether or not it's "racist" or "nationalist" or "xenophobic" or whatever is besides the point to me. It's just stupid.

Nobody - repeat NOBODY - is saying every business should "have someone on staff to take orders for the 311 languages spoken in the USA."

What intelligent people are saying is "Don't forbid your Spanish-speaking employee from speaking Spanish to a Spanish-speaking customer."

Which of course you already knew because, despite it all, you are intelligent.

But to agree with that would keep you from arguing for the sake of arguing ... and from getting outraged at people for being outraged.

The man runs a business, he wants to keep tabs on that business and that includes what transactions are taking place.  His choice.  Maybe it hurts him.  Maybe it doesn't, but that is his choice.  He wants a uniform language to be spoken in his business.  People don't like it, get your custard elsewhere.

I just find the comments and quotes in the story funny.  People assigning racism to something that isn't racial. Language doesn't define race.  I have Hispanic fiends that are bilingual and others that don't speak a word of Spanish.  They're still Hispanic.  People just can't wait to make things racial, and in this case it shows how silly they are.

The market place will decide, which is fine by me.  The market place should.  Now, official business that involves safety like flying, driving, etc....well I have some common sense views.   ;)

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 03:08:26 PM »
I do not understand this on the customer service side.  BUT I have had situations where individuals get used to speaking "amongst themselves" in one language and it migrates to other more critical times.  This can become a safety issue if only some of the employees can understand what is being said (again maybe not a custard stand but I really do not have expertise in custard stands).  I understand the arbitrary "only English" because it is hard for people to turn on and off behavior.  People are creatures of habit, if I head out the same direction as my office I end up finding myself heading there even if it wasn't my destination that trip.

In air traffic control all communication is in English regardless as an example. 

Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »

What politics?

Second thread in a row you see something that isn't there.  What politics are you talking about?

feedback