[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Henry down to 13 on Draft Express  (Read 29305 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Henry down to 13 on Draft Express
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 12:41:09 AM »
Just seems odd to me that of all the guys in the NBA, the only two that come up as a comparison are two other white guys?

Not one other NBA player?  The odds just seem to be long that those are the only comparisons.   I don't watch the NBA enough to make a comparison.  Perhaps those two are the only comparisons.

I've heard him compared to Danny Manning. Honestly not sure how accurate the comparison is.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 01:06:13 AM »
Just seems odd to me that of all the guys in the NBA, the only two that come up as a comparison are two other white guys?

Not one other NBA player?  The odds just seem to be long that those are the only comparisons.   I don't watch the NBA enough to make a comparison.  Perhaps those two are the only comparisons.
agreed it's very a lazy comp and everyone does it. HE's best comp to me is Bosh. Not too far off from people comparing Jae to anyone with dreadlocks (Kenneth Farried) which is equally as lazy. Someone actually compared HE to Nick Collison which was almost like they were just searching for a tall white guy to compare him to. frustrating but it also doesn't really matter.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 02:21:20 AM »

So you don't watch the NBA enough to give your opinion...but you'll give your opinion on the matter. Okay.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 08:11:17 AM »

If you don't watch the NBA enough, then why bother?  Why do you have this need to aggravate for the sake of aggravating?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 09:09:13 AM »
So you don't watch the NBA enough to give your opinion...but you'll give your opinion on the matter. Okay.

Trying to get educated by those that watch it more than I do.  Looks like I'm not alone in this thread saying it seems a lazy comparison.....but not what is said, but who says the what

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2016, 09:25:25 AM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2016, 09:31:46 AM »
Trying to get educated by those that watch it more than I do.  Looks like I'm not alone in this thread saying it seems a lazy comparison.....but not what is said, but who says the what

Those other people offered their comparisons.  So it is what was said, not who said it.  But keep playing the victim.  If you don't watch it enough to know who a good comparison is, then how can you know if the comparison people come up with is a good comparison or not?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2016, 09:38:50 AM »
If you don't watch it enough to know who a good comparison is, then how can you know if the comparison people come up with is a good comparison or not?

If you know you're being deceived at the time you're being deceived are you really being deceived?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 09:39:07 AM »
agreed it's very a lazy comp and everyone does it. HE's best comp to me is Bosh. Not too far off from people comparing Jae to anyone with dreadlocks (Kenneth Farried) which is equally as lazy. Someone actually compared HE to Nick Collison which was almost like they were just searching for a tall white guy to compare him to. frustrating but it also doesn't really matter.

Not the worst comparison but personally I think Hank is a much better ball handler than Bosh ever was while I think Bosh was much more athletic, quicker laterally, and leaner than Hank.  That's why I don't think Dirk and Love are "lazy" comparisons because they are "just white post players who can stretch the floor."  They have similar builds and similar games.  Neither are overly athletic or laterally quick, both are a little bigger guys, and both can handle the basketball very well for near 7 footers.  And yes, they are white and can stretch the floor from the post position.

I think most white guys are compared to other white guys because...well, in the NBA most white guys play a similar style to each other.  For every Jason Williams who can beat a guy off the dribble with his quickness and change of direction, there are about 20 Dirks or Dragics who play the Euro style basketball with pump fakes and shooting ability and court awareness and spacing and footwork.  How many white guys in the NBA do you see relying on 100% athleticism and jumping over guys to dunk on them like a Blake Griffin or DeAndre Jordan?  Not many.  So that's why you typically aren't seeing a guy like Henry Ellenson compared to DeAndre Jordan.  The comparison simply isn't there.  A guy like Henry, who plays a Euro style game, will usually be compared to a Euro style player, because the comparison fits, it makes sense.  Most Euro style players happen to be white players.  It's not laziness.  It's the style of game that is played.

Just like if you go back to the glory days of Bert when we were starting guys like Jae, DJO, Jimmy, Vander, OTule, Gardner, etc. and you look at Wisconsin starting a bunch of white guys, you wouldn't say, "Well, I think a good comparison for UW is Marquette."  Is that because Marquette was starting a bunch of African Americans while UW was starting a bunch of white farm boys?  Of course not.  It's because their 2 styles were completely different, despite being 2 good teams.  If I had to compare UW to another team or program I would say Georgetown, who typically doesn't play a ton of white guys.  But how can that be?  Me being lazy, I should just compare UW to a school that starts a bunch of other white farm boys...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:02:41 AM by YoungsWorld »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2016, 09:39:40 AM »
If you know you're being deceived at the time you're being deceived are you really being deceived?

Haha good question.  I would say no, you are not being deceived.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2016, 09:54:06 AM »
bucks have 10th pick-would they take henry ??  IF THEY DID, stevo is gone fer sure eyne'r?
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2016, 09:55:14 AM »
bucks have 10th pick-would they take henry ??  IF THEY DID, stevo is gone fer sure eyne'r?

If he's available at 10 they would take him unless someone they really wanted like a Heild also somehow fell to 10.  I don't see either available.

Steve is gone either way.  Nice career, made over $20M.  Well done.  Enjoy the coaching ranks if that's the path you so choose, Steve.  Otherwise enjoy wherever warm place you move.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2016, 10:07:41 AM »
I made the Danny manning comparison .  6'11 multidimensional forward.  Can handle the ball with either hand, lead the break, get to the basket off of the dribble.   Mobile.  Not yet a great spot up shooter beyond 15 ft, but that could improve.  I actually think we are selling Henry short when we make our comparisons based on melatonin.   How about a less explosive Durant?   Bosh who can dribble with either hand.   Griffin without the dunking.   Once he gets stronger and more consistent from distance, he will be fine.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2016, 10:13:21 AM »
I like the bosh comparison a lot… think that’s the best one thus far.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2016, 10:48:23 AM »
I could see da Bucks bitin'. An underclassman makes perfect sense. Team's got a couple of years to get good before movin' inta da new digs, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2016, 11:03:49 AM »
draft express has him at #13.  so according to that, he would be available and would hope the bucks take him for a number of reasons including HOME STATE. mock draft has him going pretty consistently top 8 or so.  love buddy h, but slim that he's around at #10
don't...don't don't don't don't

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2016, 01:20:42 PM »
I've thought for a while now that HE was overrated out of high school.  Looks like NBA scouts are starting to agree. 

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2016, 01:22:40 PM »
The Bucks might be in the worst spot in the draft unless someone slides. By general consensus, there are 2 tier 1 players (Ingram and Simmons) and 5-7 tier 2 players depending on who you ask. Poetl would be a good consolation prize, but that isn't the team's biggest need.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2016, 01:24:19 PM »
I've thought for a while now that HE was overrated out of high school.  Looks like NBA scouts are starting to agree. 

So the BE freshman of the year, a freshman all American, who Draft Express has going in the top half of the first round of the NBA draft, was "overrated coming out of high school."

Good thought.  ::)

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2016, 01:42:54 PM »

They think that there are 12 draft-eligible players in the world that are better than him.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2016, 01:43:32 PM »
The Bucks might be in the worst spot in the draft unless someone slides. By general consensus, there are 2 tier 1 players (Ingram and Simmons) and 5-7 tier 2 players depending on who you ask. Poetl would be a good consolation prize, but that isn't the team's biggest need.

I actually think Poeltl is the biggest need, but really, really hope we don't get him.  He's literally the only guy in the draft I'd be disappointed with the Bucks taking.  At 10 in a very bad draft, I have accepted that chances are the player we get this year will never be an all star, but I'm hoping that we either take a guy like Valentine who will be a solid glue guy right away or get someone who develops over a 3 year period into someone who can be a solid glue guy down the road.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2016, 01:43:53 PM »
They think that there are 12 draft-eligible players in the world that are better than him.

Not to mention, that's one site.  SI.com has up going #5 overall.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2016, 10:40:43 PM »
Keep in mind that Draft Express will recalibrate again shortly when they apply what teams need.  All it takes is one team to draft based on need to change a draft order.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2016, 08:25:50 PM »

It is once dey jettison Moose, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU62

• Starter