[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Poll:If You were an NBA GM who would you pick?

Henry Ellenson
Deyonta Davis
Ben Bentil
Brice Johnson

Author Topic: Poll: If You Were An NBA GM Who Would You Pick  (Read 42025 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Poll: If You Were An NBA GM Who Would You Pick
« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2016, 08:45:21 AM »
I guess I don't understand the context in which Goff mentioned it.  On the face of it, I don't see much harm in a 19 year old millionaire having his brother hang around with him.  I don't think Wally is a bad influence by any means. 

And I don't get the Taylor Griffin reference.  He played in Italy last year.

Yeah, I'm with you on it. Odd.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2016, 11:23:43 AM »
The fact that a NBA guy knows Wally's name, means NBA teams are talking about Wally in regards to Henry. Probably not a positive.

I could see it if Wally had a criminal background or is someone who they feel has held Henry back from reaching his potential or from working hard on his game, but Hank credits his family with his gym rat mentality and with forcing him to build his ball handling and shooting skills from a young age.  And Walter is a college educated kid who, as far as I know, does not have a criminal history.

If an NBA team passes up on a player because he's hanging out with a guy like Walter Ellenson, I'm thinking the pool of players they're limiting themselves to is very, very thin.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2016, 12:18:58 PM »
Ellensons got trashed today on the Score by NBA expert Jason Goff.

"I'm not going to pretend I follow Marquette basketball, but whenever Henry goes, Wally is following. The next Taylor Griffin."

Ringing endorsement from an NBA guy and the information he's getting.

Was that all he said about the Ellensons? Doesn't sound like he "trashed" them in any way. Simply pointed out the obvious.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2016, 01:12:08 PM »
Ellensons got trashed today on the Score by NBA expert Jason Goff.

"I'm not going to pretend I follow Marquette basketball, but whenever Henry goes, Wally is following. The next Taylor Griffin."

Ringing endorsement from an NBA guy and the information he's getting.

Jason Goff ... NBA expert?
Uh, since when? The guy has been a radio producer/host in Chicago for the entirety of his career. He's as much an NBA expert as you or I.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2016, 02:02:19 PM »
People often don't realize but teams do consider players family situations when prepping for the draft. It's not a major factor but it is a consideration. A person I trust told me that Bobby portis fell a few spots last year due to his family situation.

A lot of potential NBA players have brothers who will be hanging out with them. The fact that this guy felt the need to mention Wally, is probably closer to a bad thing than a good thing. However, it probably won't affect Henry's status at all.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2016, 02:30:49 PM »
Jason Goff ... NBA expert?
Uh, since when? The guy has been a radio producer/host in Chicago for the entirety of his career. He's as much an NBA expert as you or I.

Those years he had his own NBA radio show...and all the guest appearances he does in other cities...guy is NBA connected.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2016, 02:36:52 PM »
People often don't realize but teams do consider players family situations when prepping for the draft. It's not a major factor but it is a consideration. A person I trust told me that Bobby portis fell a few spots last year due to his family situation.

A lot of potential NBA players have brothers who will be hanging out with them. The fact that this guy felt the need to mention Wally, is probably closer to a bad thing than a good thing. However, it probably won't affect Henry's status at all.

Thanks for at least seeing what I was thinking.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2016, 04:24:16 PM »

Smoke and mirrors?

(if i remember the tweet accurately)

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2016, 06:20:41 PM »
Do anyone think Wojo will be in the green room with Henry? I know UK coach always goes and when Jimmy got drafted I'm pretty sure Buzz was there.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2016, 06:25:33 PM »
Do anyone think Wojo will be in the green room with Henry? I know UK coach always goes and when Jimmy got drafted I'm pretty sure Buzz was there.
no, have an official visit here tomorrow.  Business first,

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2016, 06:26:19 PM »
I'm not a big NBA fan but I'd be SHOCKED if JFB got invited to the green room on draft night.   Was the idea once 'anyone that could go in the first 2 rounds should be present'?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2016, 06:51:20 PM »

Nice, who?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2016, 07:03:27 PM »
I could see it if Wally had a criminal background or is someone who they feel has held Henry back from reaching his potential or from working hard on his game, but Hank credits his family with his gym rat mentality and with forcing him to build his ball handling and shooting skills from a young age.  And Walter is a college educated kid who, as far as I know, does not have a criminal history.

If an NBA team passes up on a player because he's hanging out with a guy like Walter Ellenson, I'm thinking the pool of players they're limiting themselves to is very, very thin.

seriously.  and they had no issues with allen iverson's choice of friends?  i'd take a whole gang of wally's any day.  maybe even help henry jump a little higher, EYn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

🏀

• All American
« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2016, 07:17:53 PM »
seriously.  and they had no issues with allen iverson's choice of friends?  i'd take a whole gang of wally's any day.  maybe even help henry jump a little higher, EYn'a?

AI is transcendent talent. Henry is a role player.

Wally also got bullied so bad, by his own teammates, that the Ellensons sued the school district.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2016, 07:33:02 PM »
AI is transcendent talent. Henry is a role player.

Wally also got bullied so bad, by his own teammates, that the Ellensons sued the school district.

I'm not saying you didn't hear it.  I'm just saying if it's true it's absurdly stupid.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2016, 08:37:39 PM »
Draft Express
10. Deyonta Davis
18. Henry Ellenson
25. Brice Johnson
48. Ben Bentil

NBA Draft.Net
10. Deyonta Davis
16. Henry  Ellenson
25. Brice Johnson
39. Ben Bentil
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2016, 09:23:49 PM »
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2016, 10:44:34 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #144 on: June 22, 2016, 11:38:28 PM »
I meant the whole "Teams are scared that Walter Ellenson is hanging around Hank" part.

Ah, my bad.

I don't know. Family certainly isn't a main factor but it can have an impact on how a players pans out for a franchise. Different level but look how Jeronne Maymon's family completely derailed him. Can happen at the pro level as well. Don't know anything about this situation and from what I do know about the Ellensons, it shouldn't apply. They seem enthusiastic but hardly anything I would call a red flag.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2016, 06:48:38 AM »
Ah, my bad.

I don't know. Family certainly isn't a main factor but it can have an impact on how a players pans out for a franchise. Different level but look how Jeronne Maymon's family completely derailed him. Can happen at the pro level as well. Don't know anything about this situation and from what I do know about the Ellensons, it shouldn't apply. They seem enthusiastic but hardly anything I would call a red flag.

I believe Exhibit A at the pro level would be Derrick Rose, particularly with brother Reggie.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2016, 07:15:39 AM »
I believe Exhibit A at the pro level would be Derrick Rose, particularly with brother Reggie.

I guess that's my point. I know it happens at all levels. But it's Walter Ellenson.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2016, 08:10:09 AM »
Just heard Wally Szczerbiak on sports talk while driving home from the grocery store.  He was discussing the NBA draft with the hosts (Gio & Jones on CBS).  They asked him for a sleeper pick.  He likes HE with his "Dirk-like" game and improving outside shot.  Wally stated that HE had "slipped from 10 to 13"... FWIW
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2016, 08:53:46 AM »

Unofficial. Isaiah Kelly.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2016, 01:51:05 PM »
I guess that's my point. I know it happens at all levels. But it's Walter Ellenson.

I'm with you. Not aware of any massive Wally issues that should scare teams away.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.