[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Poll:If You were an NBA GM who would you pick?

Henry Ellenson
Deyonta Davis
Ben Bentil
Brice Johnson

Author Topic: Poll: If You Were An NBA GM Who Would You Pick  (Read 42002 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Poll: If You Were An NBA GM Who Would You Pick
« on: May 06, 2016, 10:59:46 PM »
If You were an NBA GM and Your team desperately needs a big, with job riding on the outcome which one of these guys would you pick?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 08:23:19 AM by Marquette Fan In NY »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brandx

Re: If You Were An NBA GM Who Would You Pick
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 11:32:17 PM »
Just my opinion ....

Davis is an unknown and at least a couple years away from having any effect.

Brice has always been known as a guy who was not willing to put in the hard work necessary.

Bentil could be a solid rotation guy, but he's a tweener - don't know if he can defend at '3' or '4'.

So I voted for Ellenson. Don't think he will ever be a star in the league, but will be a solid rotation guy and could develop into a borderline all-star.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 07:13:48 PM »
Just my opinion ....

Davis is an unknown and at least a couple years away from having any effect.

Brice has always been known as a guy who was not willing to put in the hard work necessary.

Bentil could be a solid rotation guy, but he's a tweener - don't know if he can defend at '3' or '4'.

So I voted for Ellenson. Don't think he will ever be a star in the league, but will be a solid rotation guy and could develop into a borderline all-star.
The Cracked Sidewalks interview with Draft Express would support the notion of Davis being a high pick.
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Poll: If You Were An NBA GM Who Would You Pick
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 08:09:09 PM »
I haven't seen enough from Davis to believe in his potential, while I don't see Johnson as a high upside guy.

I like Henry, but I love Bentil. He can do everything you want a stretch 4 to do. He can still improve his frame, has size and athleticism, can shoot from outside, and has great low post footwork. Plus, he's only been playing a handful of years, so he's still learning the game.

I think Henry is a high floor, lower ceiling type guy. Worst case is a starter that gives 12/8. I'd roll the dice on the guy I feel has higher upside.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 08:10:36 PM »
I haven't seen enough from Davis to believe in his potential, while I don't see Johnson as a high upside guy.

I like Henry, but I love Bentil. He can do everything you want a stretch 4 to do. He can still improve his frame, has size and athleticism, can shoot from outside, and has great low post footwork. Plus, he's only been playing a handful of years, so he's still learning the game.

I think Henry is a high floor, lower ceiling type guy. Worst case is a starter that gives 12/8. I'd roll the dice on the guy I feel has higher upside.
Do You think Bentil will return for another year?
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 08:23:39 PM »
Do You think Bentil will return for another year?

Honestly no idea. From rankings, I think he's the most underrated player in this draft. Granted, my opinion means nothing, but I love his game and think it translates well to the next level.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 09:43:36 PM »
Honestly no idea. From rankings, I think he's the most underrated player in this draft. Granted, my opinion means nothing, but I love his game and think it translates well to the next level.
I am very surprised he is rated so low. I think the Combine may change that. Especially if he measures out to his listed height.
            ---Al McGuire

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 12:22:06 PM »
Bentil could be a solid rotation guy, but he's a tweener - don't know if he can defend at '3' or '4'...
...whereas we know Henry can't defend an NBA 3 or 4.  Who can Henry guard that Bentil can't?  Bentil was the better player this past season, had better shooting percentages (FG% ,3FG% and FT%) is more athletic and seems to have a better motor.  He is only one year older than Henry.  Henry is much smoother with the ball, and I'm sure that means a lot.  I get that Henry's larger frame ultimately makes him the better prospect, but I guess I don't understand why the large gulf between them as prospects.  Guys who get paid a lot of money to figure this out say so, so it is likely true.  I just don't get it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 12:55:05 PM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 01:01:18 PM »
Bentil has a number of limitations at this point. Start with his physical profile.

He's listed at 6'9". That's short of the ideal height NBA teams look for in a power forward — think Kevin Love, Anthony Davis and Blake Griffin (all 6'10") or even LaMarcus Aldridge and DeMarcus Cousins (both 6'11"). That extra length makes a difference on both ends of the court at the next level.

Ben has some intriguing tools to work with — a good inside game, combined with decent range. He turnover rate is impressively low given his high usage. But he doesn't have the athleticism to match up against NBA small forwards — a position loaded with great athletes like Lebron, Durant, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler and Giannis. Bentil also isn't a great jump-shooter or rebounder yet.

I could see Bentil eventually finding a place in the NBA. But he's got a lot of work to do first.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 01:08:02 PM »
If You were an NBA GM and Your team desperately needs a big, with job riding on the outcome which one of these guys would you pick?

Brice Johnson

He's a bit of a headcase but he has the highest ceiling of those guys. Job on the line, I'd go for broke.

brandx

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 03:53:31 PM »
...whereas we know Henry can't defend an NBA 3 or 4.  Who can Henry guard that Bentil can't?  Bentil was the better player this past season, had better shooting percentages (FG% ,3FG% and FT%) is more athletic and seems to have a better motor.  He is only one year older than Henry.  Henry is much smoother with the ball, and I'm sure that means a lot.  I get that Henry's larger frame ultimately makes him the better prospect, but I guess I don't understand why the large gulf between them as prospects.  Guys who get paid a lot of money to figure this out say so, so it is likely true.  I just don't get it.

No comparison at all if you use the freshman year. Bentil was 6 points and 5 rebounds a game.

brandx

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 03:57:38 PM »
Bentil has a number of limitations at this point. Start with his physical profile.

He's listed at 6'9". That's short of the ideal height NBA teams look for in a power forward — think Kevin Love, Anthony Davis and Blake Griffin (all 6'10") or even LaMarcus Aldridge and DeMarcus Cousins (both 6'11"). That extra length makes a difference on both ends of the court at the next level.

Ben has some intriguing tools to work with — a good inside game, combined with decent range. He turnover rate is impressively low given his high usage. But he doesn't have the athleticism to match up against NBA small forwards — a position loaded with great athletes like Lebron, Durant, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler and Giannis. Bentil also isn't a great jump-shooter or rebounder yet.

I could see Bentil eventually finding a place in the NBA. But he's got a lot of work to do first.

Much deeper explanation of me earlier comment - "he's a tweener".

If he is 6'9" he will go pretty high. I suspect he is closer to 6'7", though.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 04:29:28 PM »
Bentil won't be a very good pro.  He's a smaller version of Frank Kaminsky.

Johnson is John Henson 2.0.  Not horrendous, but not what you hope for in a 1st rounder.

Davis's absolute dream would be Larry Sanders with his head on straight, but he's not going to get there.

Give me Hank, who will absolutely be able to score at the next level.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 08:29:40 PM »
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 05:29:33 AM »
I think Bentil is a better athlete than many are crediting him for. I also think it's worth noting he's only been playing organized basketball for about six years.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 05:31:40 PM »
I think Henry and Bentil are  likely to go to a team that has multiple first round picks. The theory is they would pick someone that was more well rounded on the first pick and use the second or third first round pick on some one with some questions but good upside .

So Denver, Toronto , Boston,  Phoenix, Philadelphia are possible landing points. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 06:26:25 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 06:00:44 PM »
I think Henry and Bentil are  likely to go to a team that has multiple first round picks. The theory is they would pick someone that was more well rounded on the first pick and use the second or third first round pick on some one with some questions but good upside .

So Bentil would go second then.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 06:06:44 PM »
So Bentil would go second then.
I think the Lakers  second pick is protected if I understand correctly.
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 09:20:00 AM »
Some comments on Day 1 at the combine. Bentil had a good day.
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Combine-Competitive-Action-Recap-Day-One-5479

Henrys measurements were very good.
            ---Al McGuire

MUMBA

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 09:24:49 AM »
from SI.com's story on eye-openers from day 1 of the combine...

Henry Ellenson

The Marquette big man measured in at 6' 11.5" in shoes with a 7' 2.25" wingspan. Why is this significant? Because Henry Ellenson is big enough to play center. We’ve known he’s skilled offensively with a very good feel. Scouts continue to question his lateral quickness. So, if you believe he can legitimately line up with centers on defense while functioning as a stretch-big on the other end, Ellenson becomes a much safer investment. I’d be surprised if he slips very far in this draft.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 09:33:58 AM »
Will be da highest MU pick utter than Wade, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 09:37:02 AM »
Will be da highest MU pick utter than Wade, ai na?

Could very well go just as high as D Wade went.

Then again, there are many Scoopers who expect him to be planted in the D League for much of the next 1-3 years so what do I know?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 09:45:29 AM »

Then again, there are many Scoopers who expect him to be planted in the D League for much of the next 1-3 years so what do I know?

The horse. It's dead.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 01:19:22 PM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire