[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference expansion nonsense  (Read 43206 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: More conference expansion nonsense
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2016, 12:21:25 AM »
Hard to fathom the ACC ceasing to exist, though strange things do happen in this landscape.

If that were to happen, I echo those who would welcome ND with wide open arms to the Big East. They can have their football independence AND a great conference for every other sport.

It would be tremendous. Right now, it's also a fairy tale.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2016, 07:45:51 AM »
Small barriers for powerhouses like the B1G and SEC. I don't think the ACC Network will launch, and if it does, I dont think it will be successful

I have a more positive outlook on this issue. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2016, 09:24:57 AM »
Listen... if Oprah Winfrey can have her own network, so can the ACC.  And its ratings will be about the same... except it will be immensely popular with the male analougue of the not-by-choice-stay-at-home-mom-who-works-out-four-hours-a-day-(out-of-fear-that-her-husband-will-divorce-her-if-she-gains-more-than-three-pounds)-and-reads-mommy-blogs-the-other-four-hours-because--that's-right--she-actually-has-eight-hours-of-free-time-but-only-because-she-was-too-drunk-to-remember-to-pick-up-the-kids-from-school, which is something along the lines of guy-who-got-fired-from-Walmart-two-years-ago-who-watches-reruns-of-Duck-Dynasty-all-day-long-because-the-fifth-graders-taking-up-airtime-on-ESPN-with-their-elitist-spelling-bee-competition-made-him-feel-so-dispondent(ding)-that-he-just-didn't-have-it-in-him-to-look-for-a-job-today.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2016, 10:08:03 AM »
Listen... if Oprah Winfrey can have her own network, so can the ACC.  And its ratings will be about the same... except it will be immensely popular with the male analougue of the not-by-choice-stay-at-home-mom-who-works-out-four-hours-a-day-(out-of-fear-that-her-husband-will-divorce-her-if-she-gains-more-than-three-pounds)-and-reads-mommy-blogs-the-other-four-hours-because--that's-right--she-actually-has-eight-hours-of-free-time-but-only-because-she-was-too-drunk-to-remember-to-pick-up-the-kids-from-school, which is something along the lines of guy-who-got-fired-from-Walmart-two-years-ago-who-watches-reruns-of-Duck-Dynasty-all-day-long-because-the-fifth-graders-taking-up-airtime-on-ESPN-with-their-elitist-spelling-bee-competition-made-him-feel-so-dispondent(ding)-that-he-just-didn't-have-it-in-him-to-look-for-a-job-today.

I'm buying this for Benny

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2016, 10:31:07 AM »
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15502359/documents-show-big-12-flirting-houston-memphis-ucf-colorado-state-expansion

Officials from Houston, Memphis, UCF and Colorado State have been lobbying the Big 12 expansion committee according to documents ESPN obtained.

IMO, Cincinnati is a lock for #11 (especially since Gordon Gee is on the expansion committee).  One of these four schools (along with BYU) will probably be #12.

And once again, it appears that UConn will be shut out from a P5 invite.  Never a bride, always a bridesmaid...

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2016, 10:34:21 AM »
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15502359/documents-show-big-12-flirting-houston-memphis-ucf-colorado-state-expansion

Officials from Houston, Memphis, UCF and Colorado State have been lobbying the Big 12 expansion committee according to documents ESPN obtained.

IMO, Cincinnati is a lock for #11 (especially since Gordon Gee is on the expansion committee).  One of these four schools (along with BYU) will probably be #12.

And once again, it appears that UConn will be shut out from a P5 invite.  Never a bride, always a bridesmaid...

Cincy and Colorado State both make sense. BYU and Memphis wouldn't be terrible choices, although IMO not as good as the first two. But Houston and UCF? No way.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2016, 10:36:41 AM »
I don't think it is certain at all that those schools will get invited.  Those schools simply look like they are talking with the B12 and the press got their hands on the information due to FOIA requests.  Connecticut's laws may be different and are shielding someone from seeing that information.

If I were schools like Texas and Oklahoma, I would be alarmed at expansion candidates like Houston and Memphis.  I would be talking with the top programs of the ACC to form a new 12-14 team conference with the top schools from both.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2016, 11:08:27 AM »
I don't think it is certain at all that those schools will get invited.  Those schools simply look like they are talking with the B12 and the press got their hands on the information due to FOIA requests.  Connecticut's laws may be different and are shielding someone from seeing that information.

If I were schools like Texas and Oklahoma, I would be alarmed at expansion candidates like Houston and Memphis.  I would be talking with the top programs of the ACC to form a new 12-14 team conference with the top schools from both.

The worst thing about such a new conference is that it would likely be the target for every future expansion raid by both the SEC and the Big Ten.  A best of the rest conference that would be regularly losing its top teams and replacing them from the leftovers conference, a lot like the old Big East.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2016, 11:27:46 AM »

I was reading about this today.  Connecticut is purposely taking a low public profile, and is privately actively talking with the Big12. 

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2016, 11:47:31 AM »

Agreed.  Don't read too much into who is left off this list.  This article is noteworthy for what it does not discuss--how ESPN got the records.  FOIA (and other open records laws) requests need to be very specific in what they are searching for, and depending on what ESPN specifically asked for, there may be other documents that were not responsive to this request that would demonstrate other schools are doing the same thing.

All told, another advantage of having only private schools in the Big East--keeps our dirty laundry from being aired too soon. 

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2016, 11:59:09 AM »
Cincy and Colorado State both make sense. BYU and Memphis wouldn't be terrible choices, although IMO not as good as the first two. But Houston and UCF? No way.
CSU and UC gives the Big 12 almost nothing.

UCF opens open the State of Florida for recruiting to other Big 12 school. Nice size TV market.

BYU has many fans around the US and it's own TV network. BYU moves the needle the most of the schools listed in the ESPN story.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2016, 12:05:28 PM »
Hard to fathom the ACC ceasing to exist, though strange things do happen in this landscape.

If that were to happen, I echo those who would welcome ND with wide open arms to the Big East. They can have their football independence AND a great conference for every other sport.

It would be tremendous. Right now, it's also a fairy tale.
I agree with this analysis.
            ---Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2016, 12:06:28 PM »
I was reading about this today. Connecticut is purposely taking a low public profile, and is privately actively talking with the Big12.

That would seem to be a change for UConn, who up until now has been quite public about their interest in joining the Big 12:

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-jacobs-column-0304-20160303-story.html

"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2016, 12:42:08 PM »
That would seem to be a change for UConn, who up until now has been quite public about their interest in joining the Big 12:

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-jacobs-column-0304-20160303-story.html

Connecticut media is still hot on the trail...

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-big-12-meetings-0507-20160506-story.html
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2016, 01:08:22 PM »

UCF opens open the State of Florida for recruiting to other Big 12 school. Nice size TV market.

BYU has many fans around the US and it's own TV network. BYU moves the needle the most of the schools listed in the ESPN story.

Denver market...almost nothing?

No one in Florida, much less the rest of the USA, cares about UCF. It is in 5th place in relevance for the state behind Florida, Florida State, Miami, and USF.

We're in agreement on BYU. I think they'd be a good fit.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 01:13:04 PM by Coleman »

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2016, 01:14:46 PM »

UCF would be behind Florida (SEC), Florida State (ACC), and Miami (ACC).  They struggle with USF to puncture the Florida market, due to the strong teams ahead of them.  Just because the Big 12 could, conceivably, acquire UCF, doesn't mean they acquire the Florida market.

Would NIU capture the Illinois market?  Does ECU capture the North Carolina market?  Does Houston capture the Texas market?  The answer to all the questions is no - but they do capture the local area around it.  The problem with all of the candidates is that none, fully, bring any state they belong in - only a portion of it. 

If the key to get more households for a Big 12 network (or some hybrid of the LHN), then acquiring Orlando doesn't necessarily help them move the needle.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2016, 01:22:13 PM »
Denver market...almost nothing?

No one in Florida, much less the rest of the USA, cares about UCF. It is in 5th place in relevance for the state behind Florida, Florida State, Miami, and USF.

We're in agreement on BYU. I think they'd be a good fit.

CSU has no Denver market.

I can't disagree too much on UCF. The state of Florida only cares about Florida, then FSU. Miami doesn't care about Miami. I would say UCF trumps USF, but Orlando and Florida open things up for other Big 12 schools.

BYU would be a great fit, but who is the 12th?
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2016, 02:26:54 PM »
CSU has no Denver market.

I can't disagree too much on UCF. The state of Florida only cares about Florida, then FSU. Miami doesn't care about Miami. I would say UCF trumps USF, but Orlando and Florida open things up for other Big 12 schools.

BYU would be a great fit, but who is the 12th?
BYU is definitely a fit and very desirable economically. Getting to the 12th is where the difficulty is . The Big 10 operated with 11  from the time of Penn State addition to the Nebraska addition, so maybe it is worth looking at that experience.

The best case scenario of all these events is for U Conn to get shut our of any Power 5 conference and then fold their tent on D1 football and then come hat in hand back to the Big East. I realize the likelihood of that is about equal to us signing Kostas....

---Al McGuire

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2016, 02:48:02 PM »
Oklahoma and Kansas would be the top prospects. Oklahoma is one of the all time greats in football and Kansas one of the all time greats in basketball. Both are the kind of must see TV that enhance the Big Ten network. Big Ten will make an academic exception for Oklahoma just like they did for Nebraska.

Kansas would be a B1G target out of B12 for sure, but Oklahoma would be a stretch. 1. They are pretty linked to Texas and 2. They aren't an AAU school. I think you'd be much more likely to see Iowa State and Kansas then any other paring....unless they can pull a coup and get Oklahoma and Texas, pretty sure they would forget the AAU requirement with that kind of windfall.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2016, 03:00:09 PM »
Kansas would be a B1G target out of B12 for sure, but Oklahoma would be a stretch. 1. They are pretty linked to Texas and 2. They aren't an AAU school. I think you'd be much more likely to see Iowa State and Kansas then any other paring....unless they can pull a coup and get Oklahoma and Texas, pretty sure they would forget the AAU requirement with that kind of windfall.

Iowa State id never going to the BIG1G.  See Rutgers & Maryland.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2016, 03:24:48 PM »
Iowa State id never going to the BIG1G.  See Rutgers & Maryland.

Maryland (from football) and Rutgers(from all aspects) were terrible adds but from a value/eyeballs/revenue generation standpoint they've done exactly what they were intended to do.

You can argue the product sucks, but given the TV contracts I would argue it doesn't matter if they are going to get that much more money.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2016, 04:21:44 PM »
Iowa State isn't going to the B10.  It already has that market.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2016, 04:44:59 PM »

Nebraska was only AAU for about 8 minutes after the B1G welcome press conference.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2016, 05:10:28 PM »
Nebraska consolidated the Midwest for the Big 10. But my guess is that if the conference continues to expand, it'll look farther east and south. Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia and North Carolina of the ACC could be top targets.

They're all top 50 universities. They all belong to the AAU. They're all in major market areas: Duke and UNC (Raleigh-Durham #29 metro market), Georgia Tech (Atlanta #11 metro market), Virginia (12th largest state by population). And they all have strong athletic programs (to varying degrees).

Only 60 schools belong to the AAU. Cornell, Harvard and their ilk aren't joining the Big 10 anytime soon. Iowa State is likely out of the running since Iowa is already in the fold. Chances are that Vanderbilt, Florida, Missouri and Texas A&M are happy right where they are in the SEC. And I don't think the Big 10 is ready to raid the Pac-10 just yet.

That leaves a short list of possible contenders. In addition to the four above, Kansas and Pitt deserve mention. Neither matches Duke or Georgia Tech for market appeal (with Pitt probably getting vetoed by Penn State). But they do fit the Big 10's apparent expansion criteria.

The last one: Texas. Hard to see them finding common ground on the whole Longhorn Network issue. But you never know.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:22:51 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2016, 05:43:53 PM »
Nebraska consolidated the Midwest for the Big 10. But my guess is that if the conference continues to expand, it'll look farther east and south. Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia and North Carolina of the ACC could be top targets.

They're all top 50 universities. They all belong to the AAU. They're all in major market areas: Duke and UNC (Raleigh-Durham #29 metro market), Georgia Tech (Atlanta #11 metro market), Virginia (12th largest state by population). And they all have strong athletic programs (to varying degrees).

Only 60 schools belong to the AAU. Cornell, Harvard and their ilk aren't joining the Big 10 anytime soon. Iowa State is likely out of the running since Iowa is already in the fold. Chances are that Vanderbilt, Florida, Missouri and Texas A&M are happy right where they are in the SEC. And I don't think the Big 10 is ready to raid the Pac-10 just yet.

That leaves a short list of possible contenders. In addition to the four above, Kansas and Pitt deserve mention. Neither matches Duke or Georgia Tech for market appeal (with Pitt probably getting vetoed by Penn State). But they do fit the Big 10's apparent expansion criteria.

The last one: Texas. Hard to see them finding common ground on the whole Longhorn Network issue. But you never know.

Solid points.  I will add that Missouri's first choice was the B1G - there were rumblings that they, Nebraska and a third school could have been added in 2011 to the Big Ten; however, it was only Nebraska that got added.  When the SEC became their only option, it was an easy choice to make.  Many think that Missouri would never leave the SEC - but Missouri is a rare school that fits the mold of both an SEC and B1G school.  If the B1G is assured of getting more $$$ from Fox than the SEC is from ESPN, it's very possibly Missouri changes course.  Time will tell though. 

I 100% agree that the B1G's focus, as of today, is eastern and southern expansion (Virginia, UNC, Duke, and Georgia Tech).  It's where the populations are increasing and where the stronger media markets will be (not to mention plethora of respected academic/research institutions).