[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Swing and miss with Young and Gill?  (Read 29479 times)

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
Re: Swing and miss with Young and Gill?
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2016, 08:11:06 AM »
Try this one for accuracy: "Dunn is projected by some to be a higher pick than Henry. Not true for others, but for some."

Is 3 years the measuring stick, especially when it comes to the final year of one coach and the first 2 of the next? If so, 15-17, 15-17, 19-15 for Providence.. no postseason.

Yes, the last three years Providence has been a 6, 9 and 11 seed and managed one victory.

Yes, in the last 15 years, Providence has been to the tourney 4 times and won a single game.

I'm thinking MU as a program has been just a bit stronger, a''ina?

Let me get this straight. You're comparing one national ranking... to a "Regional University in the North" (wtf?) ranking?

bruh.
15 seasons

I was just responding to that post an correcting some misconceptions.

I didn't realize till reading the rest of the thread that he was a troll not to be taken seriously.

1) You're right that would be more accurate since I haven't looked at all the sites. That being said Draftexpress(D5 H9), nbadraft.net(D6 H18), Chad ford's big board(D4 H7), and cbs( D4 H9) all have Dunn over Henry. Just seemed ridiculous to imply Henry was going to be a top 10 pick and Dunn was not when everyone has Dunn in the top 10. Now these mocks usually do not take team need into account at this point. So yes Henry could easily leap frog Dunn depending on how the lottery shakes out, but Dunn seems to be the more highly regarded prospect with out taking team needs into account. 
2) He said "Providence was a mess until this year and as far as I am concerned" So I was simply pointing out they clearly Providence wasn't a mess until this year since they had made the tournament the 2 year prior to that hardly a mess. And it seemed odd to talk about another program being a mess when they've been out performed by that program since the start of the new BE. Yes Marquette is much better if you go back beyond these 3 years and Providence has out performed Georgetown recently as well.

3) My whole point was you cannot compare the two because they're in different categories of schools. One's a national university the other is a regional one. That being said I think it's more impressive to be one of the best at what you do rather than mediocre at what you do.

4) I am an unapologetic homer for my team and I do think we'll bounce back in a big way next year. Not 1 seed material mind you  ;)  but we'll be an NCAA team.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2016, 12:51:46 PM »
I am an unapologetic homer for my team and I do think we'll bounce back in a big way next year. Not 1 seed material mind you  ;)  but we'll be an NCAA team.

And you should be. The Big East needs Georgetown and Marquette to return to form.

Hoya Saxa!

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2016, 01:43:27 PM »
3) My whole point was you cannot compare the two because they're in different categories of schools. One's a national university the other is a regional one. That being said I think it's more impressive to be one of the best at what you do rather than mediocre at what you do.

So you think it's better to consistently be the 2nd best team in the Sun Belt Conference (those schools are looking to compete for a conference championship and not a national title) than to take 5th in the BE (mediocre for a team looking to compete nationally)?

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2016, 07:01:56 PM »
So you think it's better to consistently be the 2nd best team in the Sun Belt Conference (those schools are looking to compete for a conference championship and not a national title) than to take 5th in the BE (mediocre for a team looking to compete nationally)?

A well made point.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2016, 10:20:23 AM »

Not really a good analogy since there is an implied gulf in quality between the BE and the Sunbelt that doesn't exist between National and Regional Universities.

In addition, I would word/imagine it like this. Which is accomplishing their goals better? The 2nd best team has no intention of wining the national championship. Their goal is to win their conference which they likely do fairly often being the consistently second best team in their conference. Meanwhile the 5th best team in the BE's goal is to win the National Championship and they likely never reach their goal or even come close to it, perhaps they achieve their goal once in a lifetime. Objectively the 5th best BE team (the mid level national university) is better by certain measures say research grants, but the 2nd best Sunbelt team (the regional university) is better at achieving their goals perhaps providing a liberal arts education. Is it better to try and compete with the big boys and fail or to stay in your wheel house and succeed.

THAT BEING SAID I DO NOT WANT THIS TO BE AN ATTACK ON MARQUETTE WHICH IS A VERY GOOD EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION. JUST SAYING THE PROVIDENCE IS A VERY GOOD EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION TOO WHILE THE ORIGINAL POSTER IMPLIED MARQUETTE WAS CLEARLY BETTER.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2016, 12:21:41 PM »
It is.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2016, 12:27:26 PM »
It is.

And, we got the best friggin chili on the planet.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2016, 03:45:16 PM »
HSB, I've got to admit that I like your input. I'm just wondering, given that I have trouble keeping up with one site, do you follow and or contribute to this extent on all the BE boards?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2016, 05:30:17 PM »
Not really a good analogy since there is an implied gulf in quality between the BE and the Sunbelt that doesn't exist between National and Regional Universities.

In addition, I would word/imagine it like this. Which is accomplishing their goals better? The 2nd best team has no intention of wining the national championship. Their goal is to win their conference which they likely do fairly often being the consistently second best team in their conference. Meanwhile the 5th best team in the BE's goal is to win the National Championship and they likely never reach their goal or even come close to it, perhaps they achieve their goal once in a lifetime. Objectively the 5th best BE team (the mid level national university) is better by certain measures say research grants, but the 2nd best Sunbelt team (the regional university) is better at achieving their goals perhaps providing a liberal arts education. Is it better to try and compete with the big boys and fail or to stay in your wheel house and succeed.

THAT BEING SAID I DO NOT WANT THIS TO BE AN ATTACK ON MARQUETTE WHICH IS A VERY GOOD EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION. JUST SAYING THE PROVIDENCE IS A VERY GOOD EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION TOO WHILE THE ORIGINAL POSTER IMPLIED MARQUETTE WAS CLEARLY BETTER.

So creighton is number 1 regional Midwest, they're better than providence by your logic right? Also Marquette isn't Georgetown unless you're in the PT or Nursing programs, we get that but when you say "try to compete with the big boys and fail" it certainly does come off as an attack. Especially when there are programs at MU that blow those same programs at say Georgetown, out of the water.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2016, 05:34:39 PM »
You can get an education at Providence that will benefit you throughout life.  Just like Marquette.  Whatever Young decides in that regards, he will be set up just fine.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2016, 06:10:09 PM »
You can get an education at Providence that will benefit you throughout life.  Just like Marquette.  Whatever Young decides in that regards, he will be set up just fine.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2016, 06:24:07 PM »
HSB, I've got to admit that I like your input. I'm just wondering, given that I have trouble keeping up with one site, do you follow and or contribute to this extent on all the BE boards?

I'm a huge procrastinator and talking basketball is more fun than studying for medical school. My apologies to my future patients.  8-)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2016, 06:25:38 PM »

Yep. And the argument about which is "better" is so subjective that it becomes meaningless. The better school for a given individual is often very different from the school that is perceived as better by others,  because everybody's preferences, aptitudes, goals and needs are different.  As long as you go to a good school (and Marquette and Providence are both good schools), the bigger issue is what you make of the opportunities you have.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2016, 07:11:16 PM »
Yep. And the argument about which is "better" is so subjective that it becomes meaningless. The better school for a given individual is often very different from the school that is perceived as better by others,  because everybody's preferences, aptitudes, goals and needs are different.  As long as you go to a good school (and Marquette and Providence are both good schools), the bigger issue is what you make of the opportunities you have.
in the end, these decisions are almost always about BB (or FB or whatever).  Most of these schools will provide a quality education.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2016, 11:03:43 AM »

Yes that was my point all along.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2016, 01:29:06 PM »
Means we will lose one or two games we would have won.  Could very well be the difference between post-season or not.  Wojo's seat isn't necessarily any hotter now, but I think it might start taking more effort to keep it cool.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2016, 02:19:01 PM »
Means we will lose one or two games we would have won.  Could very well be the difference between post-season or not.  Wojo's seat isn't necessarily any hotter now, but I think it might start taking more effort to keep it cool.

Gill I could see having enough of an impact next season to give us 1 or 2 extra wins. Kalif Young? I really don't think so.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2016, 02:24:58 PM »
Gill I could see having enough of an impact next season to give us 1 or 2 extra wins. Kalif Young? I really don't think so.

Yeah, I mean we'll never know, but it doesn't take much (a guy at 6'9" get the d-reb that a guy at 6'6" doesn't get, and they put it back in for the W).  Esp. Since one of our two bigs is so injury prone. I agree this wasn't about going from a dumpster fire to a final fourth berth and I hope it's a non-issue but I just foresee a lot of games next year where we shoot the lights out but come up short on the boards (and/or have no answer for an offensive player on the block) and we end up on the wrong side.  Hope I'm wrong and should be a fun team to watch regardless!
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2016, 03:35:54 PM »
Means we will lose one or two games we would have won. 

This is a complete unknown but you say it with such certainty.

Maybe Young in the lineup would have cost us a game or two we would have won because he would have made key mistakes.

Maybe his absence will cost us 10 wins.

Nobody knows! Don't pretend you do.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2016, 03:39:31 PM »
IMO, one of the reasons Young went to PC was more immediate playing time.   Looking at the MU roster, he may not have seen a lot of minutes.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2016, 03:58:10 PM »
Why waste time.  He's gone.  Let's move on.  We want young men who want to play for Marquette.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2016, 04:01:19 PM »
IMO, one of the reasons Young went to PC was more immediate playing time.   Looking at the MU roster, he may not have seen a lot of minutes.

Our roster right now has 12 players - two centers, three point guards and seven 2/3s. Zero 4s. So nobody at his position, no real competition. Maybe one of our 2/3s would have been a better 4 than him, but if that's true it means he isn't ready to play in the Big East - at MU or Providence.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2016, 04:07:51 PM »
This is a complete unknown but you say it with such certainty.

Maybe Young in the lineup would have cost us a game or two we would have won because he would have made key mistakes.

Maybe his absence will cost us 10 wins.

Nobody knows! Don't pretend you do.
The obvious two games are our games against Providence. My guess is that he makes no difference in those two games. Providence is the only Big East  team Wojo owns.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2016, 04:09:20 PM »
Who runs an offense any more with two post players in at the same time?   KR, SC, JJ, HC, SA, SH will all be competing for time at the big wing positions.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.