[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette University to build $96 million dormitory, demolish McCormick  (Read 69621 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Peace to the shoe shine guy too (Carl?). Shorter black dude.

Not Carl...Calvin.

Good dudes.  Frequented the old Y many times for a shave and a hair cut...and a shine.  My wife would call him "Bob the job" because she wasn't thrilled with the haircuts, but found him very funny. 

Jay Bee

• All American
Not Carl...Calvin.

Good dudes.  Frequented the old Y many times for a shave and a hair cut...and a shine.  My wife would call him "Bob the job" because she wasn't thrilled with the haircuts, but found him very funny.

Yes!

Carl (maybe with a K?) was the Marriott Food Services guy at the time.

With Bob it was, "Cut it short." Simple directions, I still give my barber the same instruction to this day.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
I'll be honest. I don't know how Bob's stayed in business during my tenure, it was almost always empty when I walked by.

Jay Bee

• All American
I'll be honest. I don't know how Bob's stayed in business during my tenure, it was almost always empty when I walked by.

You go to some expensive salon, hey?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
You go to some expensive salon, hey?

Salon, yes. Expensive, probably more than the average male haircut but hey, you get a haircut thay you like and you just keep going back.

Jay Bee

• All American
Salon, yes. Expensive, probably more than the average male haircut but hey, you get a haircut thay you like and you just keep going back.

How much do you pay?

shoothoops

• All American
Bob's clientele was a combination of downtown office workers, University administration, coaches, all departments, current students, alums living in Milwaukee or Chicago metro areas.  Very frequently Bob would know of something that happened or was going to happen related to Marquette or a Marquette alum.  Earl was around until the very early 1990's.  Then the shop moved within the same building.  Calvin was around for a few more years after that.  Chris and Jenny gave "normal" haircuts.  Having lived in various cities around the country, and Internationally, I have yet to find a place where I have felt as comfortable getting a haircut. 

McCormick was great for its location, and great that it became co-educational.  Shorter walk for practices and classes, Union.  Triples were especially good.  Friends were made easily.  It's been long overdue to be torn down and replaced.  Great memories.  Food was frequently not good.  Whenever I visited a different school in another state I was always amazed how much better their food was than MU.  Hopefully Marquette does well with the new project at that site. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 06:51:46 AM by shoothoops »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

Coleman

• All American
Bob's clientele was a combination of downtown office workers, University administration, coaches, all departments, current students, alums living in Milwaukee or Chicago metro areas.  Very frequently Bob would know of something that happened or was going to happen related to Marquette or a Marquette alum.  Earl was around until the very early 1990's.  Then the shop moved within the same building.  Calvin was around for a few more years after that.  Chris and Jenny gave "normal" haircuts.  Having lived in various cities around the country, and Internationally, I have yet to find a place where I have felt as comfortable getting a haircut. 

McCormick was great for its location, and great that it became co-educational.  Shorter walk for practices and classes, Union.  Triples were especially good.  Friends were made easily.  It's been long overdue to be torn down and replaced.  Great memories.  Food was frequently not good.  Whenever I visited a different school in another state I was always amazed how much better their food was than MU.  Hopefully Marquette does well with the new project at that site.

The food was never good at McCormick.

During my tenure in the mid 2000s Cobeen was the best, and Straz and Schroeder were close behind. McCormick and Mashuda were terrible.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
I imagine it all had to do with anecdotal stuff about which dorm had better food.

The food coming in is all the same.  Same chicken cutlets, same salsbury steak, same spaghetti and meatballs.  Same generic Lucky Charms.  Same salad, etc, etc.

It's all very likely cooked the same.  Maybe the difference is staffing, how quickly they replace the lettuce when it gets low.

Coleman

• All American
I imagine it all had to do with anecdotal stuff about which dorm had better food.

The food coming in is all the same.  Same chicken cutlets, same salsbury steak, same spaghetti and meatballs.  Same generic Lucky Charms.  Same salad, etc, etc.

It's all very likely cooked the same.  Maybe the difference is staffing, how quickly they replace the lettuce when it gets low.

menu was a huge difference.

McCormick had overcooked burgers and subpar pizza everyday and one entree.

Schroeder had all that plus an awesome build your own taco/burrito station similar to a Chipotle/Qdoba feel.

Cobeen had 3 or 4 different entrees, plus a really good soup and salad bar, etc.

Staffing was also a big difference. For some reason McCormick always had the people who didn't know how to make an overeasy egg or an omelette that would stay together.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified

There was actually a literal price difference between the halls when I was there. I don't remember the exact numbers but at McCormick Sodexho only spent 10 cents per plate. At Schroeder they spent 25 cents per plate. So in theory, the food was at different levels at different halls.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
There was actually a literal price difference between the halls when I was there. I don't remember the exact numbers but at McCormick Sodexho only spent 10 cents per plate. At Schroeder they spent 25 cents per plate. So in theory, the food was at different levels at different halls.

You're saying that Sodexo (that's the way they spell it now), only spent between 10-25 cents per meal?  I am calling BS on this.  I used to work for one of their major competitors (in the Accounting Department, no less), and there's no way.

And I wouldn't be surprised that Schroeder gets a larger per-person expense budget.  They are what's called Destination Dining, which means that you can only swipe there once per meal period. At McCormick, you could literally eat there a dozen times a day.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
You're saying that Sodexo (that's the way they spell it now), only spent between 10-25 cents per meal?  I am calling BS on this.  I used to work for one of their major competitors (in the Accounting Department, no less), and there's no way.

And I wouldn't be surprised that Schroeder gets a larger per-person expense budget.  They are what's called Destination Dining, which means that you can only swipe there once per meal period. At McCormick, you could literally eat there a dozen times a day.

I was part of a student committee that worked with Sodexho. Those were the numbers Sodexho gave us. Now I don't know what they included in that number. That could have been they literal ingredient cost and not included the cost of people, utensils, etc.
TAMU

warriorchick

• All American
I was part of a student committee that worked with Sodexho. Those were the numbers Sodexho gave us. Now I don't know what they included in that number. That could have been they literal ingredient cost and not included the cost of people, utensils, etc.

Even if it was only food, that would mean that Sodexo could buy it for 90% less than what it would cost at the grocery store. That's not the case.  I am telling you I have seen the actual numbers.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American

Re: Schroeder, that wasn't the case when I was there 10 years ago. In theory, all res hall dining was supposed to be equal and cost the same to the student.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Cobeen cooked with extra Virgin olive oil.

StillAWarrior

• All American
All this talk about "destination dining" and burrito bars, etc. is really funny to those of us who were there in the late 80s.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
All this talk about "destination dining" and burrito bars, etc. is really funny to those of us who were there in the late 80s.

There wasn't a burrito bar in Schroeder in 2011 so I'm just as confused as you are.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast

Only the first semester
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Coleman

• All American
There wasn't a burrito bar in Schroeder in 2011 so I'm just as confused as you are.

This would have been in 2005-2006

🏀

• All American
This would have been in 2005-2006

There was, but I thought it was only Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Coleman

• All American
There was, but I thought it was only Tuesdays and Thursdays.

You could be right about that.

4everwarriors

• All American

And McCormick used palm oil, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
The burrito bar in Schroeder ended in 2008. Italian food only now
TAMU