[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Who will be our best player next year?  (Read 14510 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Who will be our best player next year?
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2016, 11:26:21 AM »
Best player: Jajuan, closely followed by Cheatham, who will become the best player his junior and senior years

Leader: Carter

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2016, 11:38:47 AM »
I agree JjJ will have the most SOTGs next year, followed by Haanie.  But I also believe Big Fishy comes to play next year since he's got a lot to prove to scouts that he can play on the next level.  My hunch is he's a beast next year.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2016, 11:42:37 AM »
I really like JJJ at the end of the year but I'm hesitant to hop on the "best player" train yet.

Interestingly though I always thought of him as a huge disappointed but going through his game log he hasn't been completely terribly just inconsistent.

16 double digit games this year
7 his sophomore year
5 his freshman year
Maigh Eo for Sam

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2016, 11:57:50 AM »

You may want to reword this.  It sound's like you are saying his stats Indicates he is not Tough.

You on a weekend bender??
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2016, 12:27:24 PM »
In all seriousness, Markus could have an enormous impact. His profile doesn't suggest there's a strong likelihood of him having a "normal freshman" year. He's legit.

I don't mean this in the wrong way, but when you look at Henry's usage of 26%.. Markus can be there. When you look at Henry's ORtg of 103, Markus has the *ability* to obliterate it. Such an important addition to the program.

More than anything from returns like JjJ, Duane, Haanif, etc.. I want to see consistency. High-level, strong play, yes. But consistency. JjJ displayed it late in the year. Need to see it from the others (and him again).

But, Markus.. wooooweeeee...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2016, 12:30:39 PM »
Cheatham will have a breakout year.

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2016, 12:33:52 PM »
In all seriousness, Markus could have an enormous impact. His profile doesn't suggest there's a strong likelihood of him having a "normal freshman" year. He's legit.

I don't mean this in the wrong way, but when you look at Henry's usage of 26%.. Markus can be there. When you look at Henry's ORtg of 103, Markus has the *ability* to obliterate it. Such an important addition to the program.

More than anything from returns like JjJ, Duane, Haanif, etc.. I want to see consistency. High-level, strong play, yes. But consistency. JjJ displayed it late in the year. Need to see it from the others (and him again).

I'm with you here.  I've said since Howard's interest in MU turned up that he would be a bigger recruit for MU than Hank.  The kid is a gamer.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2016, 12:50:39 PM »
Howard has the ability of making players around him better.  Overall Marquette will have a better passing team in the coming season.  Because of that JJJ and Cheatham should see their numbers go up significantly.  The added firepower from outside will improve spacing for drives. 

Last season the team was an experienced point guard/high percentage shooter away from the NCAA Tournament.  In 2016-17, they are a power forward/rebounding away from the tournament.

The "most important player" next season will be the next athlete to sign an LOI.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2016, 01:17:36 PM »
Howard has the ability of making players around him better.  Overall Marquette will have a better passing team in the coming season.  Because of that JJJ and Cheatham should see their numbers go up significantly.  The added firepower from outside will improve spacing for drives. 

Last season the team was an experienced point guard/high percentage shooter away from the NCAA Tournament.  In 2016-17, they are a power forward/rebounding away from the tournament.

The "most important player" next season will be the next athlete to sign an LOI.
Yes we need the best available 6-8 pogo stick we can find. If we sign Gill we are looking at a heckuva rotation .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2016, 01:44:12 PM »

What does a "better passing team" mean from a statistical perspective? Just thinking about this.. not saying you're right or wrong...

...but, I HOPE we are a better ball handling team, meaning far fewer turnovers.

With regard to assists... our assists-to-field goals made were off the charts last year... (e.g., top 30 in the nation)... but that doesn't correlate to a great offense. Assists to FG's is incredibly underrated. More about style than anything else.

Howard is a guy that can dish, but he is a #1 a scorer. If you look at last season... a lot of guys scored often off the assist, but a lot was on 2FGM not at the rim... I think that figure declines this coming year.

OTHER 2FGM's.. that is, those not at the rim.. we were at 55%!! Compare that to, say, Nova.. 26%.

73% of Henry's 2-point jumpers were off the assist. A lot of that could* be replaced by Markus creating.

I have no point other than assists-to-FGM isn't a "stat" I love because it's more about style and not efficiency. Just thinking about how the team could look next year... several ways it could go.

But again.. back to Markus and another reason why I love him on this team...*if* we can space the floor more with shooters, it opens things up for him to operate.

Also Rowsey.. it'll be interesting to see how often he attacks... because he was successful at drawing fouls with UNC-Asheville... if that can somehow translate in BEast play, look out. But could see him having a couple of amazing performances in the nonconf, then struggling...

Babbling. bye.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2016, 01:50:43 PM »
We're gonna have some strong wing players next year in JJJ, Haanif and Katin.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2016, 02:24:15 PM »
Sounds like Marcus could be the next Dean the Dream! 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2016, 02:30:17 PM »

This is huge.  With the talent we are returning, we are poised for a great season.  Need to reduce the turnovers though.  Those absolutely killed us.  Recall the X game when we were right in it, then lost our minds with turnovers.  Uggh.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2016, 02:43:43 PM »

I like his game too and think he adds a much-needed dynamic, but he's under 6' and will be a very young freshman (wonn't even turn 18 until the Big East tournament next year). Might need some time to adjust physically, and I'm more than willing to give him that rope. If he's anything more than a very nice shooter/creator off the bench next year (akin to Diener's frosh year) I'll be thrilled.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2017, 03:37:45 PM »

...and here we are... Markus has a usage of 25.4% and ORtg of 119.6. Legit.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2017, 05:14:21 PM »
Got to hand it to you Jay Bee.  You will guilty of under hyping him  ;D

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2017, 05:40:52 PM »
" if you can do it... .it ain't bragging"

JB on the money

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2017, 05:44:54 PM »
Yogi Berra should have said, and maybe actually did say:

"Predictions are hard, especially about the future".

This thread shows that Yogi-ism to be very true.

But kudos to you, JB, sir!  :-)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2017, 05:49:57 PM »
Damn, I was racking my brain to figure out what I thought might be the best answer, and saw the posts and realized the time frame.

Let's revisit this in a couple of weeks.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2017, 05:52:37 PM »
Kudos JB.

Not sure who I'd call our best player overall - still some big games left - but I never expected Marcus to be in the mix this season.  He most certainly is.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2017, 06:01:01 PM »
Markus is our best player.  Highest usage...highest eFG%...highest assist rate...second in efficiency.  The only thing that makes it doubtful is turnovers.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2017, 06:10:16 PM »
There's been games where he hasn't been as effective, but that's the case for everyone. He's certainly been our most impressive player, if not always the best. And while you can parse a few names, it was a great take by Jay Bee.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2017, 06:12:58 PM »
Correct.  It isn't a runaway and what's great is that if he was having a poor one, someone else would step up.  But all and all, I think he was the "best."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2017, 06:48:42 PM »
Well if this year is prelude to next we can expect:

1. Markus and Sam to regress
2. Cain and Theo to be our best players with Ike coming off the bench
3. Sacar have a Heldt of a year
4. Harry be foul prone and Rowsey lose his shot
5. Hannif transfer at Christmas and Du W opting to play in Europe
6. Our unfilled schollies to provide senior leadership

...and we will make the sweet 16.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 06:56:11 PM by muwarrior69 »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2017, 07:00:07 PM »
...and here we are... Markus has a usage of 25.4% and ORtg of 119.6. Legit.

What stocks should I buy?