Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Holly Ellenson speaks...  (Read 76108 times)

WarriorPride68

• All American

DJO's Jaw

• All American
Re: Holly Ellenson speaks...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 05:51:37 PM »
Classy

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 05:53:28 PM »
Classy

Sticking up for her son, how is what she said bad in any way?

From the outside I don't think there is any reason for her not to be pissed if she felt Wojo lied to her family.

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 05:57:17 PM »
Classy was probably a poor word choice. Passive aggressive would probably be more appropriate

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 05:58:48 PM »
Matt Velazquez ‏@Matt_Velazquez  44m44 minutes ago
Marquette just sent out a press release on Wally. It included that freshman walk-on Christian Haffner has been granted release.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 06:00:48 PM »
Without knowing the back story of Wally leaving it is hard to be critical of a Mom supporting her son. I am a win first guy and if this ends up being smoke and mirrors with Wally I would be disappointed.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 06:01:59 PM »
For those who don't use Twitter / click links:

Holly Ellenson (mom) quoted the following tweet and said "Smoke and Mirrors"

@GoodmanESPN: Marquette’s Wally Ellenson no longer in men’s hoops program, will remain on scholarship w/track and field. Brother Henry left after one year

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 06:05:05 PM »
Matt Velazquez ‏@Matt_Velazquez  44m44 minutes ago
Marquette just sent out a press release on Wally. It included that freshman walk-on Christian Haffner has been granted release.

And the dominoes start to fall.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 06:08:10 PM »

Wojo knows much more than me, but....

While I'd let Wally go for Young or Gill, I'm not sure it was worth it for Katin Reinhardt.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 06:09:37 PM »
Wojo had to know that he was dealing with an "involved" family from the day he signed Wally. The entire Ellenson family had a firm grasp on wojo's balls since that day and have basically been calling the shots ever since.

Where do you draw the line? Say Wally wants to focus on track this summer and join the team in August. Is that fair to the other guys who have been busting their ass all summer? I can 1000% guarantee there would be friction when Wally is riding the pine his senior season. Was that also part of the agreement when Henry signed ? The whole Ellenson ordeal was absurd and tiring.

It's maddening how soft and fragile the whole Ellenson family is. It's lame and phony. As far how Henry feels about this? Who the hell cares? He was a one and done who played on a team that couldn't even make the post season. Nobody even knows where one and dones went to school.

Wally got more than a fair shake at MU. He had like one good game and wojo praised him in the post game and started him the next game. That next game you ask? That turned out to be one of the more embarrassing home losses in recent Marquette history.

Point is: if the ellensons feel slighted...then screw them and good riddance. Good for wojo. Let's bring a better player in and get back to winning.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 06:22:15 PM by AirPunch »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 06:10:40 PM »
Wojo had to know that he was dealing with an "involved" family from the day he signed Wally. The entire Ellenson family had a firm grasp and wojo's balls since that day and have basically been calling the shots ever since.

Where do you draw the line? Say Wally wants to focus on track this summer and join the team in August. Is that fair to the other guys who have been busting their ass all summer? I can 1000% guarantee there would be friction when Wally is riding the pine his senior season. Was that also part of the agreement when Henry signed ? The whole Ellenson ordeal was absurd and tiring.

It's maddening how soft and fragile the whole Ellenson family is. It's lame and phony. As far how Henry feels about this? Who the hell cares? He was a one and done who played on a team that couldn't even make the post season. Nobody even knows where one and dones went to school.

Wally got more than a fair shake at MU. He had like one good game and wojo praised him in the post game and started him the next game. That next game you ask? That turned out to be one of the more embarrassing home losses in recent Marquette history.

Point is: if the ellensons feel slighted...then screw them and good riddance. Good for wojo. Let's bring a better player in and get back to winning.

Strong take.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 06:14:57 PM »
Wojo knows much more than me, but....

While I'd let Wally go for Young or Gill, I'm not sure it was worth it for Katin Reinhardt.

Why? Katin is light years better
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 06:17:32 PM »
Can't blame her, her kid got a raw deal.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 06:18:38 PM »
Why? Katin is light years better

I think what he is getting at is that it is not worth the potential fallout for a 1 year rental. Hard to disagree

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 06:21:06 PM »
I think what he is getting at is that it is not worth the potential fallout for a 1 year rental. Hard to disagree

Bingo.  Especially one whose rebounding is questionable.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 06:23:23 PM »
Wojo had to know that he was dealing with an "involved" family from the day he signed Wally. The entire Ellenson family had a firm grasp and wojo's balls since that day and have basically been calling the shots ever since.

I get the argument that if he won't be here working on his game this summer that's not fair.  I think that's a good point.  The underlined stuff hits me as ingratitude in the extreme, however.

A bigger issue than the Ellensons is how this plays with the families of future recruits.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 06:24:55 PM by Crean to Ann Arbor »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 06:32:22 PM »
Can't blame her, her kid got a raw deal.

Maybe.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 06:40:30 PM »

But so is Gill.

Reinhardt helps the team win now
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 06:43:03 PM »
https://twitter.com/hollyjelle/status/723274418882002944

if that's all she said, ?  i mean she could have unloaded with both barrels.  i'm not a mind reader.  i like to hear it like it is. smoke n mirrors could mean many different things.  like, maybe they played a little smokey with MU?   if she is bummed because wally isn't on the hoops team, then she should have told henry he has to stay.  wally still has his free ride with track, so what the hey
don't...don't don't don't don't

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 06:46:55 PM »
To me the main questions are:

1) Would Wally still have a place on the team if he was able to accommodate the exact requirements of all of the players. I.E. if track commitments interfered with prep for next season?

2) What was communicated to Wally and family regarding the point above?  Did Wojo go back on his word?  Was it an error of omission in that the possibility was never discussed? Or is it sour grapes on the part of the Ellenson's?

I'm guessing we may not find out the answer to #2, which is key.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 06:47:34 PM »
Wojo gave the Brothers a chance to play college hoops together. It is not like HS, D-1 programs need big-time commitment and a coach"s job hinges on winning. I think Ellenson's got what they wanted from this year and Wally is a big-time track star whose best shot is to concentrate on his best sport.
good luck to the whole family

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 06:59:58 PM »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 07:05:06 PM »
Ok, Henry .. how about you leave us after a year, and with your new millions, pay for your brother at MU one year so he can walk on, and MU can field a better team after your departure. 

Fair enough?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 07:11:22 PM »
I know people say families never pay for good basketball players to be walk-ons, but I still don't understand how a school like Syracuse gets 18 people on their bench...5 crappy walk-ons? (maybe more if they've lost any scholarships)

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/roster/_/id/183/syracuse-orange

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 07:11:51 PM »
Here's my theory;

The Ellenson brothers planned (and probably told) Wojo they were going to play together for two years. Henry had a great individual season and went back on his word because who wouldn't if millions are on the line. Wojo got pissed that Henry threw a wrench into his plans (obviously he wasn't looking for a PF until very recently) and had to come up with another plan to remain competitive next year. That plan includes making Wally drop out of the program and focus on the high jump. Wally and the Ellenson's don't like the new plan. Wojo says what the heck, you guys put me in this position and forces them to do it anyway.

I think that makes the most sense with all the info out there. Childish by both sides...yes. But it makes sense.