collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Looks like Harriet Tubman will replace Jackson on the $20  (Read 4982 times)

GGGG

• All American
Looks like Harriet Tubman will replace Jackson on the $20
« on: April 20, 2016, 11:10:35 AM »
I'm cool with that. 

And I am serious about rotating these recognitions every decade or so.  There have been many people who have made a profound impact our society.

jficke13

• All American
Re: Looks like Harriet Tubman will replace Jackson on the $20
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 11:21:28 AM »
I was wondering if "Hamilton" the musical would save Hamilton on the $10. Looks like it did.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 11:26:40 AM »
And I am serious about rotating these recognitions every decade or so.  There have been many people who have made a profound impact our society.

Not a bad idea. Similar to the state quarters. Keep the bills consistent-looking but recognize a new historical figure every so often. I like it.

Then again, if they change the 100, what would Diddy by all about?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 11:28:17 AM »
Then again, if they change the 100, what would Diddy by all about?

The Sacagaweas?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 11:39:45 AM »
I'm cool with that. 

Excellent idea.  And Harriet Tubman is a nice place to start.  Off the top of my head, people like Clara Barton and MLK could be on a short list, but there are many others.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 12:56:49 PM »
Figured it might be Trump, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 01:06:05 PM »
I was just going to post about Tubman on the $20.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/20/treasury-to-leave-hamilton-on-the-10-bill-put-tubman-on-20-politico.html

I think this is a good choice.  Tubman certainly deserves to be revered.  And Jackson shut down the nation's central bank, setting the country back, IMO.  I've always wondered if Jackson was put on the $20 as a posthumous middle finger to him.

In any case, I'm glad they let Hamilton stay on the $10.  As Ben Bernanke put it, Hamilton was the best and most foresighted economic policymaker in US history

http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/ben-bernanke/posts/2015/06/22-jack-lew-ten-dollar-bill

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 01:59:40 PM »
Headline:     U.S. Treasury ousts Democratic Party founder from $20 bill for gun-toting Republican human smuggler.

Jackson's memorial rightfully is Johnny Horton's "Battle of New Orleans."

« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 02:02:30 PM by Badgerhater »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 02:00:28 PM »
I was wondering if "Hamilton" the musical would save Hamilton on the $10. Looks like it did.

His life story is so representative of this country also.  An immigrant who used his smarts and worked hard to make an impact on American society. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 02:02:59 PM »
Ironically, the penny and the $1 bill are two of the biggest wastes of taxpayer money.  Get rid of those and frankly, I don't care who they put on the rest of my cash.  Put Johnny Cash on the $100 bill for all I care.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 02:09:45 PM »
His life story is so representative of this country also.  An immigrant who used his smarts and worked hard to make an impact on American society.

And they had already decided to remove Hamilton from the $10 and replace him with a woman. That was, of course, until Lin-Manuel Miranda and Hamilton became the biggest thing in trendy culture (full disclosure: I think it's great). LMM went down to D.C., hung out with Jack Lew, and presto-chango, Hamilton stays on the $10.

It was all LMM, Hamilton, and the fact that LMM was able to redirect the animus of the engaged culture to focus on replacing Jackson, not Hamilton, that Hamilton got to stay.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 02:20:36 PM »
And they had already decided to remove Hamilton from the $10 and replace him with a woman. That was, of course, until Lin-Manuel Miranda and Hamilton became the biggest thing in trendy culture (full disclosure: I think it's great). LMM went down to D.C., hung out with Jack Lew, and presto-chango, Hamilton stays on the $10.

It was all LMM, Hamilton, and the fact that LMM was able to redirect the animus of the engaged culture to focus on replacing Jackson, not Hamilton, that Hamilton got to stay.

Just goes to show that you put a bunch of government people in a room they will almost invariably make the wrong decision and then have to correct it when the masses recognize it for it's stupidity :)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 02:25:27 PM »
I really like the idea of rotating honorariums on the currency every 5-10 years. I think Washington, Lincoln, Hamilton and Franklin are very deserving of being on currency but I don't know that they always have to be there. Maybe do something like Washington always on the $1, Lincoln, Jefferson, Hamilton, and Franklin rotating on the $5s and $10 then make the $20, 50, and $100 a rotation of notable Americans like Tubman, Stowe, MLK, etc.

Collectors would love it as well.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 02:31:32 PM »
I really like the idea of rotating honorariums on the currency every 5-10 years. I think Washington, Lincoln, Hamilton and Franklin are very deserving of being on currency but I don't know that they always have to be there. Maybe do something like Washington always on the $1, Lincoln, Jefferson, Hamilton, and Franklin rotating on the $5s and $10 then make the $20, 50, and $100 a rotation of notable Americans like Tubman, Stowe, MLK, etc.

Collectors would love it as well.

Even better, let's sell it to the highest bidder.  Want Elvis on there?  Better get that GoFundMe page going!
Have some patience, FFS.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 02:33:26 PM »
Even better, let's sell it to the highest bidder.  Want Elvis on there?  Better get that GoFundMe page going!

If you crowdsource what goes on currency get ready for a Boaty McBoatface style hijacking. Imagine the possibilities haha

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 02:44:02 PM »
If you crowdsource what goes on currency get ready for a Boaty McBoatface style hijacking. Imagine the possibilities haha

Make it a very limited run and people will collect them.  A great way for the Fed to make money.  Cost a few cents to make, and basically you are selling them for 20 bucks apiece.
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 02:50:06 PM »
Cool. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 03:04:34 PM »
..... I don't care who they put on the rest of my cash.  Put Johnny Cash on the $100 bill for all I care.

We only use those for blow, anyway.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 03:29:58 PM »
Figured it might be Trump, hey?

Maybe if he drops out of the race....

muwarrior69

• All American

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 06:34:43 PM »
I'm cool with that. 

Also keeps counterfeiters on their toes

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 06:35:41 PM »

Cait's got next.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 06:37:14 PM »
Ironically, the penny and the $1 bill are two of the biggest wastes of taxpayer money. 

Agreed. Would love to see $1 coins that were actually widely accepted. We're just about getting to the point where we could do away with nickels too. I wouldn't mind seeing all prices just go to the nearest 10 cents ($1.10, $1.20, $1.30, etc.)

They are also planning updates to the reverse sides of the $5 and $10, honoring civil rights and women's movement leaders. Much better than picturing old buildings, IMO.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/21/us/mlk-eleanor-roosevelt-susan-anthony.html?_r=0
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 06:40:27 PM by Coleman »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 07:10:50 PM »
As long as current POTUS is put on the $3 bill after he leaves office, I'll be happy.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 09:01:15 PM »
Agreed. Would love to see $1 coins that were actually widely accepted. We're just about getting to the point where we could do away with nickels too. I wouldn't mind seeing all prices just go to the nearest 10 cents ($1.10, $1.20, $1.30, etc.)

They are also planning updates to the reverse sides of the $5 and $10, honoring civil rights and women's movement leaders. Much better than picturing old buildings, IMO.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/21/us/mlk-eleanor-roosevelt-susan-anthony.html?_r=0

I don't think the State sales tax folks would like that, nor would most folks. Say you pay 1$ for coffee and the sales tax is 7%. Why should I have to pay an extra 3 cents in tax.

feedback