[Today at 12:55:56 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 12:26:40 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane Wilson Tweet  (Read 110973 times)

MUBBau

• Team Captain
Re: Duane Wilson Tweet
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2016, 11:14:42 AM »

This reminds me of the old B & W movies, where all the reporters are racing to be firsts to the phones!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNTsbZCj7H4

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2016, 11:22:16 AM »
If Wally was cut, does he still have to sit out a year to transfer?

He is probably in position to graduate.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Wojo Era

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2016, 11:22:39 AM »
Wait, wait, wait. Is there ANY proof that this actually happened with Wally? Like, an iota of evidence that Wally won't be on the team next year, much less that he was Buzzcut? Bald speculation doesn't count as evidence.

Has there ever been anything posted on Scoop that isn't true?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2016, 11:23:44 AM »
From what I can currently tell; this "Wally got cut" first appeared in this thread, and now we are using this as evidence that he got cut. So does anyone have an ACTUAL iota of evidence that this is indeed what happened. Or are we just sitting here grasping at rumors started in this very thread?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2016, 11:23:55 AM »
It wasn't a cut.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2016, 11:27:54 AM »
I disagree.  Wojo bringing in Wally as a transfer basically only to get Henry for one year, and then cutting him a couple weeks after Henry declares is pretty shady.  I don't mind bringing in a kid with good intentions only to be honest with him later about where he stands, but it could be argued that this was basically using someone to get to someone else.  Now he really has no options if he wants to play basketball at the highest level.

Unless there is more to this story, I am not very happy about this.  I'm not with bilsu that Wojo should be fired over this, but does this really represent what you want Marquette to be about?

Meh. I don't get this whole holding Marquette to a higher standard thing. MU is good school, but its not some prestigious institution. The way that the basketball program  is run doesn't really affect my perception of the school. I take that back, it does - when MU wins basketball games, their perception goes up. When they lose (which they've done far too much of the past three years), it goes down. 

I want Marquette basketball to be about winning basketball games. Not being a bunch of panzies when it comes to sensitive issues. We need a big - there were three logical candidates to be let go, and Wally was clearly the best option. I don't doubt he is a good kid and not saying he didn't deserve his spot on the team, but this is what big time college sports is about (I mean hell, this happens at the HS level). You perform, or you get cut.  If someone better comes along, you'll get recruited over or you'll lose your spot on the team.  Its the way it is. If you want to play with the big boys, you gotta act like the big boys. I am glad to see Wojo realizes this. If anything, it shows me that MU is committed to getting back to the tournament, which is really all I care about.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2016, 11:28:46 AM »
It wasn't a cut.

A mutual agreement?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2016, 11:37:12 AM »
It wasn't a cut.

Wait...does this play into Big Daddy's  story of the haircutting Brothers?
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2016, 11:45:41 AM »
First of all, I'm not putting any stock in this story until something fruitful comes of it. Right now, it's all unfounded rumor. That said...

Meh. I don't get this whole holding Marquette to a higher standard thing. MU is good school, but its not some prestigious institution. The way that the basketball program  is run doesn't really affect my perception of the school.

While I understand this perspective and don't begrudge your right to feel this way, I personally could not disagree more. I'm not a religious person, but I do believe in Cura Personalis and do believe that Marquette means more than just the name on my diploma.

Some of my most valuable classes were the theology classes I was forced to take and some of the best discussions I had at Marquette centered on morality. To the point that as an agnostic at Marquette, I did an independent study class senior year writing a screenplay about a modern day take on Revelation and the return of Christ without any intention of sarcasm.

If you are going to put Marquette on your resume, on the front of your shirt, or on your business card, as a Marquette grad, I do expect more. Maybe that's unfair in and of itself, but I value Marquette as more than just a sweatshirt or a sticker on my fire helmet.

If Wally was brought in for the express purpose of exploiting his family relationship with Henry and to be cut as soon as Henry's time here is done, I'm against that. It's not what the University should stand for in my mind and not how individuals that represent the University, especially on the most visible of public stages, should conduct themselves.

Again, until there's more substance to this unsubstantiated rumor, I'm withholding judgment. But there's a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things, and if the goal is to create a long-term, successful program, I feel that cutting a senior player whose value goes beyond his own personal contributions on the court (especially in a manner such as this) would be the wrong way and something I would have difficulty as an alum supporting.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2016, 11:49:42 AM »
Marquette Fan in NY warned that Henry would lose it all once he signed with ROC Nation but this is quicker than expected, and taking Wally down too?

Boy that thug Jay-Z.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2016, 11:53:01 AM »
First of all, I'm not putting any stock in this story until something fruitful comes of it. Right now, it's all unfounded rumor. That said...

While I understand this perspective and don't begrudge your right to feel this way, I personally could not disagree more. I'm not a religious person, but I do believe in Cura Personalis and do believe that Marquette means more than just the name on my diploma.

Some of my most valuable classes were the theology classes I was forced to take and some of the best discussions I had at Marquette centered on morality. To the point that as an agnostic at Marquette, I did an independent study class senior year writing a screenplay about a modern day take on Revelation and the return of Christ without any intention of sarcasm.

If you are going to put Marquette on your resume, on the front of your shirt, or on your business card, as a Marquette grad, I do expect more. Maybe that's unfair in and of itself, but I value Marquette as more than just a sweatshirt or a sticker on my fire helmet.

If Wally was brought in for the express purpose of exploiting his family relationship with Henry and to be cut as soon as Henry's time here is done, I'm against that. It's not what the University should stand for in my mind and not how individuals that represent the University, especially on the most visible of public stages, should conduct themselves.

Again, until there's more substance to this unsubstantiated rumor, I'm withholding judgment. But there's a right way to do things and a wrong way to do things, and if the goal is to create a long-term, successful program, I feel that cutting a senior player whose value goes beyond his own personal contributions on the court (especially in a manner such as this) would be the wrong way and something I would have difficulty as an alum supporting.

Fair enough. I also won't begrudge you for feeling that way. The 13 guys on the basketball team certainly don't define the school for me.  All I care about is that the team and staff put the team in the best position possible to succeed.  If a guy is not good enough, or someone better comes along - he gets cut.  I don't particularly feel bad - these guys are getting a free education and get to play a sport at the highest collegiate level. Bring it everyday and get better and you won't get replaced. If you can't do that, take your talents elsewhere.  Again, not saying Wally didn't do that (and also by no means am I confirming this rumor to be true), but he was the least valuable member of the team, IMO.  Therefore he goes.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2016, 11:57:25 AM »
Just to fuel rampant speculation, Hank tweeted "FAMILY ALWAYS FIRST" last night which Wally then Retweeted with an "Angry" emoji.

#TwittaTracka

You all are missing the obvious -- Henry is coming back to play one more year with Wally!
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brandx

« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2016, 11:58:37 AM »
From what I can currently tell; this "Wally got cut" first appeared in this thread, and now we are using this as evidence that he got cut. So does anyone have an ACTUAL iota of evidence that this is indeed what happened. Or are we just sitting here grasping at rumors started in this very thread?

Scoop has officially become the "Committee of Oh My God".

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2016, 12:03:56 PM »
It wasn't a cut.
Well, then what happened?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2016, 12:04:55 PM »
Well, then what happened?

Did he get 3rd place in the sales contest?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2016, 12:11:10 PM »

I agree with this...but the key is the "express purpose" part.  If snagging Henry was the only reason Wojo signed Wally, then Wally should stay.

But what if being Henry's brother was just one factor, and Wojo also saw that we were thin and relatively desperate, so he brought Wally in to actually help the team?  And what if, two years later, he has concluded that we aren't as thin or desperate as we were, and that Wally isn't as much of an asset as he had hoped?  That isn't implausible.

If those truly were factors (and only Wojo and the coaching staff really knows), than I see no reason why Wally shouldn't be treated like everyone else - we will give you a fair shot, but if you don't turn out as we hope, there is a chance you'll be recruited over.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2016, 12:26:51 PM »
I agree with this...but the key is the "express purpose" part.  If snagging Henry was the only reason Wojo signed Wally, then Wally should stay.

But what if being Henry's brother was just one factor, and Wojo also saw that we were thin and relatively desperate, so he brought Wally in to actually help the team?  And what if, two years later, he has concluded that we aren't as thin or desperate as we were, and that Wally isn't as much of an asset as he had hoped?  That isn't implausible.

If those truly were factors (and only Wojo and the coaching staff really knows), than I see no reason why Wally shouldn't be treated like everyone else - we will give you a fair shot, but if you don't turn out as we hope, there is a chance you'll be recruited over.

I don't mind players being "recruited over."  I mind pulling players scholarships when they are about to enter their senior year based simply on them no longer being considered good enough.  After freshman and sophomore year?  I get it.  For instance, if this were Sandy or Sacar, I would understand.  You gave them a shot and they didn't perform.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2016, 12:27:18 PM »
Wally was on scholarship for two years.  He played more this year than he would have at Minnesota.  He also got to play with his brother for his one season in college ball.  If Wojo unloads him now, everyone got something from the deal.

This team's success is not beholden to Duane Wilson either.   
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2016, 12:33:06 PM »
I disagree.  Wojo bringing in Wally as a transfer basically only to get Henry for one year, and then cutting him a couple weeks after Henry declares is pretty shady.  I don't mind bringing in a kid with good intentions only to be honest with him later about where he stands, but it could be argued that this was basically using someone to get to someone else.  Now he really has no options if he wants to play basketball at the highest level.

Unless there is more to this story, I am not very happy about this.  I'm not with bilsu that Wojo should be fired over this, but does this really represent what you want Marquette to be about?

+1 to all of this conditional on it being true.

I get that Wojo was hired to win.  I get it.  But if he cut WE-Man and teammates are upset about it, then Wojo has once again 'threw his guys under the bus' so to speak (the first time is when he employed the white t-shirt motivational strategy, only later to admit that it was a gimmick, despite guys on the team buying into it).  Not good leadership skills, IMO.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2016, 12:38:26 PM »

I don't mind players being "recruited over."  I mind pulling players scholarships when they are about to enter their senior year based simply on them no longer being considered good enough.  After freshman and sophomore year?  I get it.  For instance, if this were Sandy or Sacar, I would understand.  You gave them a shot and they didn't perform.

Yeah I'm with you on this. Wally leaving would be my preference(not that it matters) but that's only if its 100% his decision and one he thinks is best for him. No senior deserves to be just forced out.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2016, 12:44:28 PM »
If I were a player I would just tweet cryptic messages every few weeks then come here to watch the world burn.

LOL yeah.

MU Player Tweet:  "The man with the broken watch is right twice a day, but the man with two watches is never sure" *Logs on to Scoop*

-Scooper 1: Oh man, did you guys see MUPlayer's Tweet?!?!?  Is he saying that Wojo's defensive strategy is flawed?  Is he losing faith in the system?
-Scooper 2: TWITTA TRACKA <scrolling across screen>
-Scooper 3: OMG, look at this pic of JJJ--he is wearing a watch!  It seems pretty clear to me that this tweet is about JJJ transferring
-Scooper 4: Ugh.  More mind games that JJJ has to put up with
-Scooper 5: I asked my cousin's neighbor, who works at the Taco Bell (the one right near campus) and he says that Wojo may have purchased <recent recruit> a watch and the NCAA is possibly investigating
-Scooper 6: At this rate, we will be SLU in a matter of months.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2016, 12:47:42 PM »
How would everyone feel if wally was told he needed to be around for the summer for basketball if he wants to be on the team.

Basically, choose basketball or track.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2016, 12:48:37 PM »
Didnt David Koresh say something very similar?

The greatest post ever? 

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2016, 12:51:32 PM »
Duane just tweeted

#mubb is down. @cayleighgriffin @Kim_Adams1

He tagged two Big East basketball reporters. What does this mean?