[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Matt Velazquez] Shorter Golden Eagles team to emphasize shooting skills  (Read 8479 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
I largely agree and like these two statements.  However, you need to have PHYSICAL guards, and at least one physical post presence to win at an appreciable level.  Ochefu was a HUGE asset to Nova, and just as we had the benefit of Devante Gardner - a guy you could throw the ball to and who could almost always get you a bucket - when the perimeter shots aren't falling and in order to create good spacing for a guard oriented 4 out 1 in offense.

I wouldn't disagree with that all.  Need some bigs, no doubt....but my point over the years is that quality bigs are few and far between.  MU is rarely going to get those guys.  Even the NBA is a guard's game now.  So focus on what you can get at a high quality level, and build your team from the outside in, not the inside out.  It basically is a numbers game on what is available out there.  But I most definitely agree you can't have a roster of 12 guards, you need some size, but it doesn't have to be Shaq, Wilt, Kareem in there....because those guys aren't coming to MU.

CTWarrior

• All American
I largely agree and like these two statements.  However, you need to have PHYSICAL guards, and at least one physical post presence to win at an appreciable level.  Ochefu was a HUGE asset to Nova, and just as we had the benefit of Devante Gardner - a guy you could throw the ball to and who could almost always get you a bucket - when the perimeter shots aren't falling and in order to create good spacing for a guard oriented 4 out 1 in offense.

I actually think Fischer is a pretty good bet to score when he gets the ball down low with his hook shot, and will especially be so when the other four guys on the floor are threats to shoot.  I think the major difference between Ochefu and Luke is that Ochefu is much more of a space eater and rim protector on the other end.  That's my concern about the 4 out-1 in philosophy for us next year.  We are going to have a very tough time stopping people when we don't turn them over.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

BM1090

• All American

What physical guards did Uconn have in 2013? Shabazz Napier? Ryan Boatright? Nope. Physical post presences? DeAndre Daniels? Nah. Tyler Olander? Lol. Phil Nolan? Nope.

BM1090

• All American
Plus tax.  Furthermore, 10 of the wins came against Sub 225 teams, 4 of which were sub 330 teams.  "Achieved" ZERO wins against any Ken Pom Top 25 team.

No top 25 wins but 3 top 40 wins and 5 top 50.

feedback