collapse

* Recent Posts

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:20:49 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 07:13:08 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 07:13:05 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Maui 2017  (Read 23069 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Maui 2017
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2017, 03:30:44 PM »
A few questions...

1) Is a car necessary? We generally like beach time and do get into excursion (hiking, biking, snorkeling) type stuff. Getting to and from the hotels to games, checking out the island, is it better to just rent a car for the whole time, for a few days, or is it a waste of money?

2) What's an ideal duration? I feel like 5 days (the MU package) isn't long enough. One friend told me 10, but man that seems like it will be very costly. I did find some very affordable (by Maui standards) flights going Thursday to Thursday.

3) For the $30 "priority seat" fee, will that be refunded if you aren't awarded those rows? Or should I direct that to Mike Worzalla?

4) Rough distance from team hotel to the gym?

I've never been to Maui for the tourney, but have vacationed in Laha-ina several times.

1) It is probably necessary, honestly.

2) Definitely more than 5 days. At least a week.  The flight alone is brutal. 7 or 8 days is probably best.

3) My guess is a donation to the blue and gold fund.

4) Not comfortable walking distance.  Would guesstimate about 2 miles. Not sure if Maui has Uber's yet, but thats my preliminary plan. Then again, my travel partners will have a car and they won't be attending the tourney, so I'll have a back up plan.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:32:30 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2017, 05:07:12 PM »
What other islands did you go to? If Kauai and/or Big Island, do you have any tips? We've been to Kauai many times but always appreciate hearing about things we might have missed. We haven't been to the B.I. since 1993, so it's probably changed a ton.

We were on Oahu for a night (landed late, got a room, got up, did Pearl Harbor, and gone).

We were on Kauai for 5 nights and Maui for 4 nights. Kauai is incredible in a totally different way. First, its far less sunny/resort-y. We got drizzle every single day for a few minutes at least, but it never really *rained*. It's a much quieter, make-your-own adventure kind of a place. Plus, I guess in winter the surf is more violent and the beaches are less inviting. Not sure about what it's like in November though.

We drove up into the Waimea Canyon, which is awesome. Hiked the Awe'awepuhi Trail, which is mostly unremarkable until the end... holy cow the payoff views of the Na Pali coast are to die for. We did a luau (Smith's Family Paradise), which was fun. If you go, eat nothing but the Kalua pork, trust me. So good. We went to Kauai Brewing, also good. Koloa Rum Co. fun 30 minute free tasting. Lots of people do the helicopter thing on Kauai, we didn't because it's pricey per person ($175-250 per person). We tried to eat at a few smaller joints (Tiki Tacos is stellar). Relaxed a bit by the beach near Poipu. Drove up to Ke'e beach on the north side of the island and hiked to Hanakapai Beach (more of a wave-tortured hellscape of rocks in the winter, but still cool).

Some of our pictures are up here, just scroll back a bit and you'll find the Kauai ones:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131264395@N03/

Let me know if you want any more specifics.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2017, 07:04:27 PM »
Where you cats planning to stay in Maui, Kauai, the Big Island?  General areas.  What do you like to do?  Hike, fish, golf, lounge at beach/pool, scuba, paddle board, snorkel, eat, drink, volcanos, water falls, rain forests, go local or resort life, spas, whales, near nightlife or family time? 

Air fares are ridiculous right now.  Especially since this is prime time. I would wait personally on the gamble and book your stay as you can always cancel that with no penalty or a little. 

Ways to save money:

Use your credit car now to get airline hotel, flight points.  Food, gas, travel.  Build up those points to subsidize. Pay off every month.

The team hotels are very expensive right now as they have holds for the tournament. Do you really want to rub elbows, or only want a resort vacation?  If so it is cool and convenient to stay there, and plenty of cabs to take you local. If not, a condo is a better deal.  You can save a lot of money.  On an island, the ocean is only a few blocks away.  Kihei can be a good deal as can condos north of the resorts (beware the dookie plant).

This is a busy time in Maui and Kauai.  Make dinner reservations way in advance, including Thanksgiving.  You can always cancel.  Poipu and Kaalapani Beach/La'hai'na especially.  Kauai traffic can suck.

TBI: All the other islands fit into a third of Hawaii. Vast with many ecosystems.  More local.  82, where you staying?  You need a car.

The La'hai'na Civic Center has the best parking lot view in the world. It is a high school gym.  Buy general Admission as it is open seating.  They sell VIP seats that aren't worth it.  No donations needed. It is bleachers.  They schedule the games in the morning or night so you don't miss the beaches, tours, etc.  It is cozy and fun, and they clear fans out after games so the next game fans can have seats.

Time of year.  Can be windy, rainy, rough. At the same time, the whales are just starting their migration back.  A pool is reliable, the ocean may not be. Be flexible.

Drives to Hana or the volcano are 10-12 hours.  Instead of driving yourself, take a tour that picks you up, feeds you, and drops you off.  They know the stops, provide food, and can take the scare out of a long day on unfamiliar roads with jet lag.  Also know, if you are staying 7 days, these trips take one of these.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:13:29 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2017, 07:37:51 PM »
Should I buy the tickets now?  I assume they won't be getting any cheaper as we get closer...

Get tickets now.  Prices aren't going to drop on the MU tickets.  You might score cheaper tix on the island or via StubHub, but you won't be sitting in the MU section.
A few questions...

1) Is a car necessary? We generally like beach time and do get into excursion (hiking, biking, snorkeling) type stuff. Getting to and from the hotels to games, checking out the island, is it better to just rent a car for the whole time, for a few days, or is it a waste of money?

2) What's an ideal duration? I feel like 5 days (the MU package) isn't long enough. One friend told me 10, but man that seems like it will be very costly. I did find some very affordable (by Maui standards) flights going Thursday to Thursday.

3) For the $30 "priority seat" fee, will that be refunded if you aren't awarded those rows? Or should I direct that to Mike Worzalla?

4) Rough distance from team hotel to the arena?

1) A car isn't necessary if you buy the travel package; you can get by with just airport transportation if you're staying in Kaanapali, but if you want to really experience the island, get a car for the week or a day.

2) Benny and the Wife went Sat-Fri (6 nts) in 2012.  We're doing Wed-Fri (9 nts) this time... with the kids in tow this time, Thursday is going to be a "rest/recovery" day. So we'all effectively have a 7 night vacation.  5 is way short but doable if you're on the west coast; otherwise I would recommend at least 6 or 7 nights coming from the Midwest.

3) You're not charged the $30 now... only if you win the Priority Point "lottery."

4) It's about a 25-30 minute walk.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
Re: Maui Tickets
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2017, 07:41:18 PM »
You get a flight out of MSP already?

Have you?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2017, 07:48:40 PM »
Man, every time MU goes to Maui, I check into this. 

Airfare is just so wildly expensive, it's prohibitive for a family to get there, especially over Thanksgiving with the cheapest rate around $1300-1600 round trip. 

In conclusion, does some 1%er have room on their private jet for a party of 4?   The kids are well behaved.

Not sure if we're schlepping along my mom or an au pair, but either way, if you do happen to get there, I might at least be able to help you save a few bucks on babysitting costs if you and Mrs. Topper need a night on your own. 

Only thing I ask In return is to see the kids' tickets for the return flight in advance.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2017, 10:25:48 AM »
Have you?

I'm toying with the idea... need to find out what the food spread is like there for media.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2017, 09:42:21 PM »
A few questions...

4) Rough distance from team hotel to the arena?

I absolutely would get a car. Maui (and all of the islands, actually) is very fun to explore.

As for duration, I like to spend a minimum of 10 days in the state because it is so far to go that it seems a shame to spend less. When we have 10+ days, we like to go to more than one island. You can get from Maui to any other island on a Hawaiian Air puddle-jumper for about $100. Flight time is about 20 minutes. Each island is so different that it's worth it, IMHO.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2017, 09:45:59 PM »
We were on Oahu for a night (landed late, got a room, got up, did Pearl Harbor, and gone).

We were on Kauai for 5 nights and Maui for 4 nights. Kauai is incredible in a totally different way. First, its far less sunny/resort-y. We got drizzle every single day for a few minutes at least, but it never really *rained*. It's a much quieter, make-your-own adventure kind of a place. Plus, I guess in winter the surf is more violent and the beaches are less inviting. Not sure about what it's like in November though.

We drove up into the Waimea Canyon, which is awesome. Hiked the Awe'awepuhi Trail, which is mostly unremarkable until the end... holy cow the payoff views of the Na Pali coast are to die for. We did a luau (Smith's Family Paradise), which was fun. If you go, eat nothing but the Kalua pork, trust me. So good. We went to Kauai Brewing, also good. Koloa Rum Co. fun 30 minute free tasting. Lots of people do the helicopter thing on Kauai, we didn't because it's pricey per person ($175-250 per person). We tried to eat at a few smaller joints (Tiki Tacos is stellar). Relaxed a bit by the beach near Poipu. Drove up to Ke'e beach on the north side of the island and hiked to Hanakapai Beach (more of a wave-tortured hellscape of rocks in the winter, but still cool).

Some of our pictures are up here, just scroll back a bit and you'll find the Kauai ones:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131264395@N03/

Let me know if you want any more specifics.

Thanks for this list. We have been to Kauai a number of times and have done most of this stuff and agree with your many great assessments. We are big hiking fans, and Waimea Canyon, Ke'e, etc, were great highlights. I love Queen's Bath; that's where I want my ashes spread when I die; my heirs can spend some of their future inheritance to all go there for the ceremony and remember the good times!

One of the fun things about this upcoming trip is that my daughter and her man are meeting us there. They live in Seattle and are spending the entire time with us, so that will be great. Our daughter has only been once and her guy has never been, so we get to be tour guides while also checking out some new stuff.

We haven't done the brewery or the rum place, and we're a bunch of inveterate drunks (not really, but I like that term), so I'm guessing we'll find our way there - so thanks for the suggestions!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2017, 09:49:56 PM »
Where you cats planning to stay in Maui, Kauai, the Big Island?  General areas.  What do you like to do?  Hike, fish, golf, lounge at beach/pool, scuba, paddle board, snorkel, eat, drink, volcanos, water falls, rain forests, go local or resort life, spas, whales, near nightlife or family time? 

Air fares are ridiculous right now.  Especially since this is prime time. I would wait personally on the gamble and book your stay as you can always cancel that with no penalty or a little. 

Ways to save money:

Use your credit car now to get airline hotel, flight points.  Food, gas, travel.  Build up those points to subsidize. Pay off every month.

The team hotels are very expensive right now as they have holds for the tournament. Do you really want to rub elbows, or only want a resort vacation?  If so it is cool and convenient to stay there, and plenty of cabs to take you local. If not, a condo is a better deal.  You can save a lot of money.  On an island, the ocean is only a few blocks away.  Kihei can be a good deal as can condos north of the resorts (beware the dookie plant).

This is a busy time in Maui and Kauai.  Make dinner reservations way in advance, including Thanksgiving.  You can always cancel.  Poipu and Kaalapani Beach/La'hai'na especially.  Kauai traffic can suck.

TBI: All the other islands fit into a third of Hawaii. Vast with many ecosystems.  More local.  82, where you staying?  You need a car.

The La'hai'na Civic Center has the best parking lot view in the world. It is a high school gym.  Buy general Admission as it is open seating.  They sell VIP seats that aren't worth it.  No donations needed. It is bleachers.  They schedule the games in the morning or night so you don't miss the beaches, tours, etc.  It is cozy and fun, and they clear fans out after games so the next game fans can have seats.

Time of year.  Can be windy, rainy, rough. At the same time, the whales are just starting their migration back.  A pool is reliable, the ocean may not be. Be flexible.

Drives to Hana or the volcano are 10-12 hours.  Instead of driving yourself, take a tour that picks you up, feeds you, and drops you off.  They know the stops, provide food, and can take the scare out of a long day on unfamiliar roads with jet lag.  Also know, if you are staying 7 days, these trips take one of these.

On Kauai, we are staying across from Kalapaki Beach at a place called The Garden Island Inn. We have their 2-BR suite (because they are 4 of us). It's kind of centrally located, not right near Poipu or Princeville, but not all that hellacious a drive to either. I agree about traffic sucking sometimes, but hey, we're on vacation. We're not gonna sweat it!

On the Big Island, we are staying in the Waikoloa area. I thought we might stay a few nights on the Hilo side but my wife vetoed that when she saw the rain totals - about 10x more on that side of the island than the West side. That's OK ... we'll do a day trip to Hilo and definitely will go to Volcanoes Natl Park.

Mostly when we go to Hawaii, we just like hiking, snorkeling and hanging at the beaches. What's not to love?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2017, 12:21:50 PM »
On Kauai, we are staying across from Kalapaki Beach at a place called The Garden Island Inn. We have their 2-BR suite (because they are 4 of us). It's kind of centrally located, not right near Poipu or Princeville, but not all that hellacious a drive to either. I agree about traffic sucking sometimes, but hey, we're on vacation. We're not gonna sweat it!

On the Big Island, we are staying in the Waikoloa area. I thought we might stay a few nights on the Hilo side but my wife vetoed that when she saw the rain totals - about 10x more on that side of the island than the West side. That's OK ... we'll do a day trip to Hilo and definitely will go to Volcanoes Natl Park.

Mostly when we go to Hawaii, we just like hiking, snorkeling and hanging at the beaches. What's not to love?

Kalapaki is a nice protected beach, especially in the winter.  The airport is right there and so is the shipping and cruise ship harbor, but it is a laid back area.  Convenient for driving to and fro.

In Waikoloa, you staying up the mountain in Waikoloa Village or in Waikoloa Beach?  Condo or resort?  I can give you some favorites. I assume it is just you and your wife, no kids?

Besides Walmart, Target, Costco, the biggest change since you were there last is the Saddle Road is fully paved so getting to Hilo and the volcano is more quicker (and open to rental cars).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2017, 01:43:01 PM »
Kalapaki is a nice protected beach, especially in the winter.  The airport is right there and so is the shipping and cruise ship harbor, but it is a laid back area.  Convenient for driving to and fro.

In Waikoloa, you staying up the mountain in Waikoloa Village or in Waikoloa Beach?  Condo or resort?  I can give you some favorites. I assume it is just you and your wife, no kids?

Besides Walmart, Target, Costco, the biggest change since you were there last is the Saddle Road is fully paved so getting to Hilo and the volcano is more quicker (and open to rental cars).

On the BI, we are staying at the Paniolo Greens Resort at Waikoloa Village. We can cancel 72 hours in advance, so I might be on the lookout for something nicer and cheaper that opens up, but I expect to not find anything else.

We have 4 adults - my wife and I, our grown daughter and her fiance. All 4 of us are very active and outdoorsy. We'll be doing lots of hiking and snorkeling. My daughter and her man are into scuba so they're planning a couple of outings for themselves.

Great to hear about easier access to the other side of the island and the volcanoes. We'll definitely be taking advantage of that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2017, 02:18:58 PM »
On the BI, we are staying at the Paniolo Greens Resort at Waikoloa Village. We can cancel 72 hours in advance, so I might be on the lookout for something nicer and cheaper that opens up, but I expect to not find anything else.

We have 4 adults - my wife and I, our grown daughter and her fiance. All 4 of us are very active and outdoorsy. We'll be doing lots of hiking and snorkeling. My daughter and her man are into scuba so they're planning a couple of outings for themselves.

Great to hear about easier access to the other side of the island and the volcanoes. We'll definitely be taking advantage of that.

Here is a nice site to get started. The Pololu Valley is a beautiful one at the end of the road in Kohola.  Try to go if not raining as it is a bit slick at the top.  Get there early before the rest of the tourists as it has limited parking. Grab walking sticks at the top.  Also, hike to the end of the beach and take the trail up to the next valley to the bench. Well worth it.  For lunch, hit Sushi Rock in Hawi, a quaint little town, for lunch (opens at noon). 

http://www.bigislandhikes.com

Definitely do the night manta ray dive or snorkel.  Lots of underwater caves along that coast for scuba.

I will update more later.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 03:56:12 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2017, 03:22:50 PM »
Here is a nice site to get started. The Pololu Valley is a beautiful one at the end of the road in Kohola.  Try to go if not raining as it is a bit slick at the top.  PGet there early before the rest are of the tourists as it has limited parking. Grab walking sticks at the top.  Also, hike to the end of the beach and take the trail up to the next valley to the bench. Well worth it.  PFor lunch, hit Sushi Rock in Hawi, a quaint little town, for lunch (opens at noon). 

http://www.bigislandhikes.com

Definitely do the night manta ray dive or snorkel.  Lots of underwater caves along that coast for scuba.

I will update more later.

Good stuff, Doc. Thanks.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2017, 04:12:10 PM »
All the dive, some tours and fishing boats go out of Honokohau Harbor near the airport. The Harbor House is a great local spot--open air, good food, good value for being on an island, good people watching.  Best of all they have frosted schooners of beer.

http://www.harborhouserestaurantkona.com

If you are up for an "adventure", try the White Road hike up the mountain from you out of Waimea.
https://whiteroadhike.wordpress.com

<a href="https://youtu.be/qM3LdQBk97o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtu.be/qM3LdQBk97o</a>
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:20:00 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2017, 04:43:11 PM »
Definitely hit Kona Brewing for lunch or happy hour.  Brewery tour is only twice a day and not worth it if you can't get in.  The beer samplers and pizza (made out of their spent grain) is.  Big fan.

http://konabrewingco.com/blog/pubs/kona-pub-brewery/?mobile=desktop

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2017, 04:53:50 PM »
If down in Kealakekua for hiking to Captain Cook, snorkeling in the bay or at a coffee tour at Greenwell Farms, try Annie's for burgers, located in a strip mall of the highway. A bit pricey, but cold draft and a top burger choice rivaling Sobelman's. Garlic basil friends and rings are awesome.  For dessert, go to Gypsea next door for gelato.

http://www.anniesislandfreshburgers.com

Coffee tours:

http://www.greenwellfarms.com
https://mtnthundercoffee.com
http://www.huladaddy.com

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2017, 11:43:18 PM »
Thanks for all of this, Doc.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2017, 07:40:58 AM »
Gonna be my first year out of school for good. (hopefully) Maybe ill treat myself.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2017, 10:07:22 PM »
The coastline in Kohola is very rocky.  Hapuna is the best beach. 

In Waikoloa Beach, there is Anaeho'omalu Bay or A Bay.  There is a big free beach parking area behind the shops (south).  Good snorkeling way out on the reef, especially to the north.  Can rent paddle boards or take a boat cruise out of there.  Hit the Lava Lava for drinks and pretty good food right on the beach.  This is behind the Marriott by the resorts but doesn't get too crowded.

The resort restaurants are very pricey and not always the best. Kawaihae has some of the best local grub. All of these are good.  I like the Seafood Bar for lunch and beers over a MU game.  The town isn't so scenic as it is a harbor, but the food is the best in this town.  Check the Blue Dragon's Facebook as they have been closed for rehab, but it is a cool place for music and happy hour.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g60942-Kawaihae_Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:09:10 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2017, 11:11:35 PM »
The coastline in Kohola is very rocky.  Hapuna is the best beach. 

In Waikoloa Beach, there is Anaeho'omalu Bay or A Bay.  There is a big free beach parking area behind the shops (south).  Good snorkeling way out on the reef, especially to the north.  Can rent paddle boards or take a boat cruise out of there.  Hit the Lava Lava for drinks and pretty good food right on the beach.  This is behind the Marriott by the resorts but doesn't get too crowded.

The resort restaurants are very pricey and not always the best. Kawaihae has some of the best local grub. All of these are good.  I like the Seafood Bar for lunch and beers over a MU game.  The town isn't so scenic as it is a harbor, but the food is the best in this town.  Check the Blue Dragon's Facebook as they have been closed for rehab, but it is a cool place for music and happy hour.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g60942-Kawaihae_Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html

More thanks, Doc.

On our one and only trip to the Big Island back in 1993, we spent the better part of 3 days at Hapuna. It was an amazing beach. We went boogie boarding and had a blast. The first day, we later learned the waves were at the absolute perfect intensity and consistency and that kind of lulled us into complacency. Our second day, they were quite violent - they picked us up and slammed us down repeatedly. Same with the third day. We were lucky none of us suffered a serious injury! I will be more cautious this time ... but not too cautious - what fun would that be?!?!?!?

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2017, 08:12:15 AM »
On Kauai, we are staying across from Kalapaki Beach at a place called The Garden Island Inn. ...

If that's a Hilton property, then that's where we stayed on Kauai. Not a show-stopper, but if you're planning on being other places than your hotel room, who cares?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2017, 08:15:45 AM »
If that's a Hilton property, then that's where we stayed on Kauai. Not a show-stopper, but if you're planning on being other places than your hotel room, who cares?

Nope, it's an independent property, not a Hilton. But I do know it is not a high-frills enterprise. And, as you say, that's just fine. I like the location, very familiar with it, and the accommodations will be just fine.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2017, 09:59:29 PM »
More thanks, Doc.

On our one and only trip to the Big Island back in 1993, we spent the better part of 3 days at Hapuna. It was an amazing beach. We went boogie boarding and had a blast. The first day, we later learned the waves were at the absolute perfect intensity and consistency and that kind of lulled us into complacency. Our second day, they were quite violent - they picked us up and slammed us down repeatedly. Same with the third day. We were lucky none of us suffered a serious injury! I will be more cautious this time ... but not too cautious - what fun would that be?!?!?!?

Hapuna is awesome.  They did open a state park beach north of the airport with a paved road, right across from the Veterens Cementary (GPS takes you down a rutted lava road).  Usually morevprotected.

Packers bar in Kona

http://www.quinnsalmostbythesea.com/Pages/default.aspx

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2017, 10:40:36 PM »
Hapuna is awesome.  They did open a state park beach north of the airport with a paved road, right across from the Veterens Cementary (GPS takes you down a rutted lava road).  Usually morevprotected.

Packers bar in Kona

http://www.quinnsalmostbythesea.com/Pages/default.aspx

Well, I won't be in Kona during football season. And if I were, I wouldn't go to a Packers bar - ha!