[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin to lower drinking age to 19?  (Read 6492 times)

barfolomew

• All American
Re: Wisconsin to lower drinking age to 19?
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 12:12:15 PM »
I personally think it is a mistake as well.  Now before we go too far, there's no evidence that the Governor supports it.

Come now, Glow.
Per MUScoop bylaws we are required to go too far no later than the sixth post of any thread.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 12:25:21 PM »
I lost my son in a car accident.

I don't think raising the driving age would fix that. I've been to fatal car accidents with drivers as young as 13. I can't tell you how many I've seen where one or both drivers didn't have a license. The problem isn't the age, it's the education.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 12:30:09 PM »
It's really hard to tell if lifting the drinking age helped curb OWI.  The lifting of the age occurred at the same time as increased education and increased penalties.  OTOH, there is little doubt that binge drinking has increased with the lifting of the drinking age.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2017, 01:44:09 PM »
Come now, Glow.
Per MUScoop bylaws we are required to go too far no later than the sixth post of any thread.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2017, 02:30:41 PM »
If we can do this while also getting all of the repeat DUI offenders off the roads, I'd be all for it.

Though 19 makes a lot more sense than 18, to keep it out of the hands (mostly) of high school seniors.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 06:03:04 PM »
I'm in support of entirely removing the drinking age.  Keeping the age for purchasing at 21.  This would allow people to be eased into alcohol... families could better introduce it as something to enjoy responsibly, rather than getting to college and going bananas and drinking to die.  The reasoning for keeping the purchasing age at 21 would be to limit sales (to some degree), but not remove the ability to have a party. 

Also in support of marijuana legalization.

The introduction of this law, and the one last year regarding breweries makes me really wonder who is in severe political debt to the Tavern League of Wisconsin.

So then we would just have 21 year olds post up outside charging a 5 dollar fee

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2017, 06:14:58 PM »
So then we would just have 21 year olds post up outside charging a 5 dollar fee

I don't see your point.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2017, 06:18:07 PM »
I don't see your point.

19 year old can posess beer but can't buy it. 21 year old can sit outside store wait for a 19 year old to come. Tell him he will buy the beer but it will cost the 19 year old an extra 5 dollar fee on top of the cost.

The law would be circumvented in seconds.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2017, 06:29:36 PM »
19 year old can posess beer but can't buy it. 21 year old can sit outside store wait for a 19 year old to come. Tell him he will buy the beer but it will cost the 19 year old an extra 5 dollar fee on top of the cost.

Pretty much what happens now only you can’t possess it.

I’m pro lowering the drinking beer, cider, and wine (wine coolers, mead that crap) but not pro spirits
Maigh Eo for Sam

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2017, 06:53:04 PM »
Pretty much what happens now only you can’t possess it.

I’m pro lowering the drinking beer, cider, and wine (wine coolers, mead that crap) but not pro spirits

I definitely believe under 7% should be legal at 19.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2017, 08:15:07 PM »
If we can do this while also getting all of the repeat DUI offenders off the roads, I'd be all for it.

Though 19 makes a lot more sense than 18, to keep it out of the hands (mostly) of high school seniors.
Make all the cars driverless now. It would solve more problems than this ...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2017, 04:50:38 AM »
If bad people are going to commit an illegal act, they'll do so regardless of the law.

So I've been told

that's what we've been tryin to say here all along about...you know what and we all know where that goes every time.  but you are 100% correct-bad people are always going to do bad things regardless of rules and laws.     
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2017, 07:03:03 AM »

Right, that is fine.  The way I described it was to only limit sales, not ban them.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2017, 08:28:11 AM »
I don't think raising the driving age would fix that. I've been to fatal car accidents with drivers as young as 13. I can't tell you how many I've seen where one or both drivers didn't have a license. The problem isn't the age, it's the education.

Well there you go. Maybe we should eliminate age requirements for alcohol, marijuana, driving, gun purchases etc. as long as they are educated.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:31:19 AM by muwarrior69 »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2017, 08:34:46 AM »
I'm in support of entirely removing the drinking age.  Keeping the age for purchasing at 21.  This would allow people to be eased into alcohol... families could better introduce it as something to enjoy responsibly, rather than getting to college and going bananas and drinking to die.  The reasoning for keeping the purchasing age at 21 would be to limit sales (to some degree), but not remove the ability to have a party. 

Also in support of marijuana legalization.

The introduction of this law, and the one last year regarding breweries makes me really wonder who is in severe political debt to the Tavern League of Wisconsin.

A good article about this very subject.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/11/10/563051543/in-the-age-of-legalization-talking-to-kids-about-marijuana-gets-tougher

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2017, 08:53:19 AM »
A good article about this very subject.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/11/10/563051543/in-the-age-of-legalization-talking-to-kids-about-marijuana-gets-tougher

Marijuana is safer than cigarettes and alcohol.  This doesn't mean I advocate allowing children to obtain it legally.

Having a conversation about how it is an adult choice is important, and despite legalization in 8 or 9 states (plus DC) there hasn't been a significant uptick in usage among teens.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2017, 09:47:58 AM »
I lost my son in a car accident.

This pains me greatly.  Truly sorry for your loss.  Heartbreaking.   :'(

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2017, 10:20:20 AM »
Well there you go. Maybe we should eliminate age requirements for alcohol, marijuana, driving, gun purchases etc. as long as they are educated.

You believe an educated alcoholic consumer is the same as an uneducated alcoholic consumer? You believe an educated marijuana smoker is the same as an uneducated marijuana smoker? You believe an educated operator of a vehicle is the same as an uneducated operator of a vehicle? You believe an educated gun owner is the same as an uneducated gun owner?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2017, 01:26:18 PM »

Not a bad idea. Teaching people how to responsibly handle these things is better than the naive assumption that some mystical wisdom is gained simply by the turn of a calendar.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2017, 01:38:04 PM »
Not a bad idea. Teaching people how to responsibly handle these things is better than the naive assumption that some mystical wisdom is gained simply by the turn of a calendar.

Half my '85 class would not be allowed to drink today by that requirement, and everyone that was in my house.  Except me of course.

But would they take attendance?
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

feedback