[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Reseating...  (Read 88761 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Reseating...
« Reply #275 on: June 09, 2017, 09:08:30 AM »
I'm not worried about the STH decline. They may not increase this year, but renewal percentage was well ahead of last year, so there's less attrition than in recent years. If they stay about status quo, there will be a bump next year for the new arena.

Get to the tourney this year (tough but doable) and bring in a top-20 team to start the season next year with a new venue and numbers will climb. Keep winning, they'll keep going up. Maybe not to the same numbers we had, but it's a new era of fan, so that's just the reality.

There will be fans that want to see regular games in the new venue without paying NBA prices.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #276 on: June 09, 2017, 11:49:49 AM »
I don't think that's it at all topper. It's not a function of new BEast vs. old BEast, especially with the old unbalanced schedule.  Nobody gave a damn about West Virginia or especially South Florida.  And Creighton, Butler and Xavier are wonderful rivals with great basketball traditions.  And sure it would be great to play the freakin' Domers.

The problem has been watching crappy basketball for too many years. 

It's both of those elements, but I do believe it's more the teams we play / used to play.

What would people rather watch .. mediocre play versus Butler or the same effort versus Louisville?

Every sport has fans that buy tickets for a variety of reasons.  IMHO, the vast majority of fans do NOT carefully watch the game.  They're there for the experience, the noise, the lights, and certainly the prestige of being at "the game."  (Unbalanced schedule?  Please.  Most people don't even know what that is.)

If attendance/purchasing was about basketball performance, we'd see more people at the Houston Baptist games .. man, we look good at those games!  All those dunks and 3s .. delicious.  8-)

Yeah, I grant that there are folks who are there to really watch basketball performance, techniques, plays, defenses.  They are outnumbered.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #277 on: June 09, 2017, 12:03:34 PM »
Maybe I didn't make my point properly topper.  In the world of 'MU opponents', there isn't a material difference between our current and former BEast home schedule.  Maybe a little at the margin and it would have been certainly true it the BEast hadn't turned out as successful as it did.  But Xavier is a far more interesting opponent than West Virginia.

I'd argue that the only 4 schools that mattered at all that we lost were ND, Cuse and Louisville and UConn.  And half of them suck now, probably because their historic BEast roots have been destroyed. (Their loss; they chose to play football.)  West Virginia, Rutgers, So. FLA, Cinci, Pitt, all yawn.  And we didn't get them all at home every year anyway.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #278 on: June 09, 2017, 12:27:08 PM »
It's all about NOT losing at home...period. MU HAS to do a better job of protecting their home floor...now maybe things will change in the new arena(I sure hope so), but they simply haven't been "dominant" at home in many years. I promise you, you win games at home, fans will show up again...fans show up, now you are creating an even more dominant home court advantage. You want it to be top 10 in the nation consistently. That's what will bring fans back.

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #279 on: June 09, 2017, 12:36:58 PM »
Ever since Williams left for VT the buzz has disappeared from home games. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #280 on: June 09, 2017, 01:12:52 PM »
Maybe I didn't make my point properly topper.  In the world of 'MU opponents', there isn't a material difference between our current and former BEast home schedule. 

I submit .. people judge "material differences" in a very different way than you (seem to suggest.)  It's not about RPI or recent performance.

The prestige gap between X, Creighton, Butler versus Louisville, UConn, Syracuse, and even ND .. is enormous.   They are the Ferrari to our VW. 

(*Not to besmirch VW, we've got fahrvergnügen and that's pretty special. yep, yep.)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #281 on: June 09, 2017, 03:28:39 PM »
I submit .. people judge "material differences" in a very different way than you (seem to suggest.)  It's not about RPI or recent performance.

The prestige gap between X, Creighton, Butler versus Louisville, UConn, Syracuse, and even ND .. is enormous.   They are the Ferrari to our VW. 

(*Not to besmirch VW, we've got fahrvergnügen and that's pretty special. yep, yep.)

Your ignoring the boring dog meat that had to come with that.  Nobody gives a damn about Rutgers, West Virginia, So. Fla, etc. So sure, a conference that replaced exactly the 3-4 you mentioned......

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #282 on: June 09, 2017, 04:09:04 PM »
Your ignoring the boring dog meat that had to come with that.  Nobody gives a damn about Rutgers, West Virginia, So. Fla, etc. So sure, a conference that replaced exactly the 3-4 you mentioned......

Yes, there were/are teams in the OBE and NBE that few were interested in seeing play.      Is your point that the lower half of the NBE is better than the lower OBE?    Well, super.  That does not translate into more interest or ticket sales.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #283 on: June 09, 2017, 04:14:01 PM »
Yes, there were/are teams in the OBE and NBE that few were interested in seeing play.      Is your point that the lower half of the NBE is better than the lower OBE?    Well, super.  That does not translate into more interest or ticket sales.

Where we disagree topper is that in my view our attendance has been impacted by excessive losing, not the failure of Syracuse to appear in our building.  I guess we'll find out when we're 26-4 again!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 04:16:22 PM by jsglow »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #284 on: June 09, 2017, 05:17:15 PM »

I think you are underselling West Virginia a bit. They've been very good recently and having Huggins adds some juice.

I think there's less duds of opponents. We just need to do a better job of beating them. It feels like every time we get a nice win or two, there is a clunker at home. That deflates he fan base and students quite a bit.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #285 on: June 09, 2017, 06:42:01 PM »

• The Coors Light Corner remains for alums of the past five years.

Coors Light Corner for recent alumni?  Wouldn't Busch Light Club be more appropriate for recent graduates to better reflect their Marquette experience. Coors Light was considered "good beer" at house parties.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #286 on: June 09, 2017, 06:44:01 PM »
Maybe I didn't make my point properly topper.  In the world of 'MU opponents', there isn't a material difference between our current and former BEast home schedule.  Maybe a little at the margin and it would have been certainly true it the BEast hadn't turned out as successful as it did.  But Xavier is a far more interesting opponent than West Virginia.

I'd argue that the only 4 schools that mattered at all that we lost were ND, Cuse and Louisville and UConn.  And half of them suck now, probably because their historic BEast roots have been destroyed. (Their loss; they chose to play football.)  West Virginia, Rutgers, So. FLA, Cinci, Pitt, all yawn.  And we didn't get them all at home every year anyway.

I had a hard time considering a team that made it to the Final Four in 2016 as in the "suck" category.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #287 on: June 09, 2017, 06:46:43 PM »
Coors Light Corner for recent alumni?  Wouldn't Busch Light Club be more appropriate for recent graduates to better reflect their Marquette experience. Coors Light was considered "good beer" at house parties.

I don't know how "recent" you are, but most of the kids I know from the classes of 13-16 are craft beer drinkers, even when they were students.
Have some patience, FFS.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #288 on: June 09, 2017, 07:42:25 PM »
I don't know how "recent" you are, but most of the kids I know from the classes of 13-16 are craft beer drinkers, even when they were students.

much older than that!  Are you telling me at house parties they're serving kegs of craft brew now? We were considered having "good beer" by serving kegs or Coors instead of Busch Light, Pabst or the one today's students sadly missed out on, Blatz.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #289 on: June 09, 2017, 07:54:42 PM »
much older than that!  Are you telling me at house parties they're serving kegs of craft brew now? We were considered having "good beer" by serving kegs or Coors instead of Busch Light, Pabst or the one today's students sadly missed out on, Blatz.

The "rich kids" that chick knows, yes.. I would hope the masses are still swilling Natty Light, etc.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #290 on: June 09, 2017, 07:57:43 PM »
The "rich kids" that chick knows, yes.. I would hope the masses are still swilling Natty Light, etc.

Just look at the taps at Caffrey's when you are down there in a couple of weeks.

Do they even sell Natty Light anymore?
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #291 on: June 09, 2017, 08:01:18 PM »
Just look at the taps at Caffrey's when you are down there in a couple of weeks.

Do they even sell Natty Light anymore?

JayBee will be swilling all the free beer at the Centennial. Caff's prices are too rich for him.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #292 on: June 09, 2017, 08:09:02 PM »
JayBee will be swilling all the free beer at the Centennial. Caff's prices are too rich for him.

That's true about the Centennial.

Maybe I'll sweet talk a nice gal at the bar to buy me one of them there fancy craft brews after the event, ainnul?

Natural Light is still around (I had to google it to make sure though).

Speaking of seating... Hoopla seating should be interesting. Looks like big round tables of 10 throughout the floor...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #293 on: June 09, 2017, 11:16:50 PM »
That's true about the Centennial.

Maybe I'll sweet talk a nice gal at the bar to buy me one of them there fancy craft brews after the event, ainnul?

Natural Light is still around (I had to google it to make sure though).

Speaking of seating... Hoopla seating should be interesting. Looks like big round tables of 10 throughout the floor...

The Brat House has doubles to meet your BOGO needs.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #294 on: June 10, 2017, 12:09:08 PM »
You all don't know anything....

Craft beer at bars and small get togethers. Coors and Busch kegs at parties. Come on old people.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #295 on: June 10, 2017, 01:11:45 PM »
You all don't know anything....

Craft beer at bars and small get togethers. Coors and Busch kegs at parties. Come on old people.

I don't think my kids ever participated in a Busch party.  My recollection was Lite or High Life.  What Marquette student ever goes near an AB product?  Those are the Madison kids.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #296 on: June 10, 2017, 01:58:54 PM »
I don't think my kids ever participated in a Busch party.  My recollection was Lite or High Life.  What Marquette student ever goes near an AB product?  Those are the Madison kids.

We had Busch Light all the time because it was by far the cheapest keg available. No student, especially freshmen, cared who made the beer, we just wanted the beer. Hell, we drank Blatz and various "ice" versions of crap beer because it was beer and we paid $3 to get in the door.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #297 on: June 10, 2017, 02:24:19 PM »
We had Busch Light all the time because it was by far the cheapest keg available. No student, especially freshmen, cared who made the beer, we just wanted the beer. Hell, we drank Blatz and various "ice" versions of crap beer because it was beer and we paid $3 to get in the door.
Sad, It was all about cheap beer '79-'83 but it had to be Wisconsin beer, Old Style....
Goal is National Championship

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #298 on: June 10, 2017, 02:53:04 PM »

My experience (mid-90s) was exactly the same. Busch Light was extremely common.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #299 on: June 10, 2017, 06:41:05 PM »

Rutgers was the only dog. West Virginia was always a good draw in Milwaukee.

feedback